PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie...3 stars!!!!

uga3406
12-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I saw this movie and loved it. Im not a huge Tom Cruise fan but i happen to love history. I saw it and was blown away how good this movie was. The movie was very accurate as far as history goes. They really did a good job with a even better supporting cast. I was surpised how good Cruise was as well. He showed me a lot and i highyl recommend it and give it 3 stars. If you were on the fence about this movie, i would go see it, u won' be dissapointed.

phinfan3411
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input, I love WWII movies, and was wondering if I should see it.

uga3406
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input, I love WWII movies, and was wondering if I should see it.

the movie moved really well didnt drag at all...if u like war movies this 1 u r gonna like

Blackocrates
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I just saw it for the first time and I enjoyed it. I didn't realize the scope of the story, in history class all I could remember was the bomb going off but I didn't realize that all of that aftermath happened. Cruise did a fine job, I know a lot of Germans protested his role as Stauffenberg prior to the filming of the movie. I wonder after seeing it, if they have the same feeling? I think Cruise played the man admirably and showed Stauffenberg to be a true hero. One that wasn't afraid of the consequences, one that didn't bat an eye.

Blackocrates
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd also like to add, for anybody that liked this movie to check out Downfall (2004) if you haven't seen it already. The movie takes place in Hitler's bunker during his last days. The movie is seen through the eyes of Hitler's secretary. It's her true stories that form the basis of the movie.

TheDon74
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks 4 the review. When I saw the preview I thought it was strange that Cruise didn't have a German accent. Is there a reason for this or do they just leave it unexplained? Is he that bad an actor that he couldn't do a accent.

Blackocrates
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks 4 the review. When I saw the preview I thought it was strange that Cruise didn't have a German accent. Is there a reason for this or do they just leave it unexplained? Is he that bad an actor that he couldn't do a accent.

They sort of explain it in the first minute of the movie.

Spoilers below

The movie starts out with Cruise writing a letter to somebody and he narrates as he writes the letter. The letter is in German and he is speaking in German, English subtitles are provided. As he continues to write his words intermingle with German and English. Finally, he only speaks English. Much like what happened in The 13th Warrior.

I think they put that in there to explain why the movie is in English. None of the actors speak in a German accent. It's just something you have to accept. I was more than happy to listen to English rather than read it.

Tetragrammaton
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Why would they speak in a German accent? I usually hate that about films. Either speak in the native language or what is the point?

TheDon74
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Why would they speak in a German accent? I usually hate that about films. Either speak in the native language or what is the point?

What, You realize Nazis were German right?

Tetragrammaton
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
What, You realize Nazis were German right?

I think you missed my point. They should be speaking in German. Whether or not the English has a German accent is irrelevant, because both are ridiculous.

ih8brady
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I always just consider the whole language mix-match as an example of suspension of disbelief, although the original language does lend a much greater authenticity.

uga3406
01-16-2009, 02:42 AM
I'd also like to add, for anybody that liked this movie to check out Downfall (2004) if you haven't seen it already. The movie takes place in Hitler's bunker during his last days. The movie is seen through the eyes of Hitler's secretary. It's her true stories that form the basis of the movie.

I saw that two years ago and loved it. Great movie and was done great. I never mind watching a movie w/ subtitles.

Predaphin
05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Just saw the movie this weekend on Blue Ray and thought it was a good movie. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

I am a fan of WWII movies and this one was an intense drama.

Don't expect to see a battlefield scene or anything like that, but the movie was great. It pretty much explains what happened and is very much believable. It's amazing how the story almost happened and that one incident could have changed history.

Predaphin
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Will do (have it on my netflix queue) thanks.

jared81
06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
awesome movie, just saw it last week, would recommend it to anyone who likes history.

WISfinfan13
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Well said

Saw the movie a couple days ago. Very good.

Dolfan3773
06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
this movie was pretty sick...i liked it