PDA

View Full Version : Little league flag football (season 2)

Scrap
09-28-2003, 01:06 PM
As some of you may remember, I coach little league flag football. Last season, my team went undefeated. Okay, 1 tie, but still undefeated.:) Yesterday we played our first game of the season. Final score: 49-14 we win. Last season was my first as a coach. We started a little slow last season.(Even though they won.) Our coaching got better as the season progressed.By the end of the season last year, we were slaughtering the other teams. Looks like we picked up where we left off. We scored a TD on the first play, and then as soon as we got on D, intercepted one for a TD. 14-0 after only about 30 seconds of the game.

Oh well, I'm just excited still, and had to tell everyone.

Bobby Humphrey
09-30-2003, 11:45 PM
congrads bro. any chance you have room for a 400 pound pastie white canadian on your team?

Scrap
10-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I'm sure you can block the kids rather well.

goldfish
10-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ScrappyDew
As some of you may remember, I coach little league flag football. Last season, my team went undefeated. Okay, 1 tie, but still undefeated.:) Yesterday we played our first game of the season. Final score: 49-14 we win. Last season was my first as a coach. We started a little slow last season.(Even though they won.) Our coaching got better as the season progressed.By the end of the season last year, we were slaughtering the other teams. Looks like we picked up where we left off. We scored a TD on the first play, and then as soon as we got on D, intercepted one for a TD. 14-0 after only about 30 seconds of the game.

Oh well, I'm just excited still, and had to tell everyone.

I hope your are teaching them about sportsmanship.... and their parents:argue:

Scrap
10-01-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm definitely teaching them to be good sports. I don't mention the whole winning or losing thing to them, except to say that it doesn't matter.I stress to them that having fun is what count.

We haven't had any problem with the parents. I've heard about other teams having problems though. One team had a poor sport for a coach last year. He walked out in the middle of our game. The assistant coach had to take over all of the coaching duties for the rest of the game. Needless to say, he wasn't invited back to coach this year.

I can't lie, I'm a football fan, and I want to win. But as long as the kids come out of the game happy and healthy, I'm happy.

goldfish
10-01-2003, 03:38 PM
I hear ya.... that coaching job is a stressful one no matter who you are coaching.... on my team last year, we had a "parent" who couldn't understdand why we needed to make sure that all the kids got playing time. He thought his kid should not come off the field.... there was no concept of fun and happiness... it was "win" and "my son is going to play in the NFL, so he needs to get his reps"

:tantrum:

That was my last year as coach.... I'd rather be the ballboy, or the eqpt manager..... much less stress.

Scrap
10-01-2003, 03:53 PM
I've got one parent that may end up that way, but in her defense, her kid can play. 5 years old, and he can throw, catch, run ....you name it. I call him Little Michael Vick. He's unbelievable for his age. During one practice he said to me, "Coach Mike. Let me show you how to throw a football." That would have hurt Scrappy's ego if he wasn't so good.

goldfish
10-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ScrappyDew
I've got one parent that may end up that way, but in her defense, her kid can play. 5 years old, and he can throw, catch, run ....you name it. I call him Little Michael Vick. He's unbelievable for his age. During one practice he said to me, "Coach Mike. Let me show you how to throw a football." That would have hurt Scrappy's ego if he wasn't so good.

Yeah this kid was like that too.... I mean the kid played like his dad had been blowing whistles at him since the womb.....

but I wasn't going to sit other kids just so one kid could hold a clinic. I could care less who won.... as long as my team had fun, and learned something.

Scrap
10-01-2003, 04:41 PM
She makes him sit out of practice if he doesn't pay attention. He loves to play football. Fortunately, I only have one kid on the bench at a time, so I constantly rotate and have no problems from parents.

Scrap
10-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Week 2, 42-28. Another win. The ref made us ease up on them in them before 1/2 time. So I put my slowest kids in at runningback.That's when they scored their 28 points. The sad thing is that we still scored twice on them with those two.

Oh yeah, we topped last weeks performance. This time our first 2 offensive plays went for TD's.