PDA

View Full Version : MergedX3: Cowher passes on New York

Bumpus
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
(big smile)

houtz
12-30-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/report-tannenbaums-presence-causes-cowher-to-pass-on-jets/

Cowher would have wanted final say over the roster. And Cowher would have wanted to bring Kevin Colbert and/or Omar Khan from the Steelers to run the personnel side of the business.

But Tannenbaum wasnít going anywhere, so Cowher isnít coming to town.

ashraf-23
12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
nice thats good news. having to face cowheer twice a year wouldnt have been to great.

72TributeBike
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
The Jets are in total disarray now! Good! I can hardly wait until we meet again! I want more blood!

dolpns13
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/report-tannenbaums-presence-causes-cowher-to-pass-on-jets/

Now we have to just make sure parcells doesnt go there..

Although IMO he isnt going anywhere anyways

phinfan33
12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
The Jets are in total disarray now! Good! I can hardly wait until we meet again! I want more blood!
i agree...i want more Jets blood as well...

NYC#1finsfan
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Woody should have fired Tannenbaum also and then he could have gotten his man!:hi5:

Phins2Bowln06
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
haha. NO COWHER FOR YOU!!! AAAhhhh how sweet it is---how sweet it is.

NYinBostonFin
12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Ther was no way he was taking that job anyway IMO. He didnt retire and relax to come back for NY media scrutiny

Sofa_King_Drunk
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Woody should have fired Tannenbaum also and then he could have gotten his man!:hi5:

Agreed, but thank goodness he didn't. No way in hammered hell do I wanna deal with the Chin twice a year.

Roman529
12-30-2008, 01:54 PM
It sounds like there still is a chance he may coach the Jets, providing that Cowher can bring in his own personnel man to replace Tannenbaum. I hope he does coach the Jets.
Cowher is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history....he won ONE Superbowl during a year when there just wasn't a lot of great teams....but how many playoffs and potential SB's did Cowher let get away? He had all that talent over the years and did little with it.

Daytona Fin
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
It sounds like there still is a chance he may coach the Jets, providing that Cowher can bring in his own personnel man to replace Tannenbaum. I hope he does coach the Jets.
Cowher is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history....he won ONE Superbowl during a year when there just wasn't a lot of great teams....but how many playoffs and potential SB's did Cowher let get away? He had all that talent over the years and did little with it.

yeah i just saw that too. he said he was going to address the comeback issue at the pregame show saturday on cbs

burger13
12-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I heard on the radio here that the reports that he will not go to the jets are premature. They haven't even talked yet, but they still plan to.

Jetsfan89
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Those reports are not true. WFAN reported about 30 minutes ago that the Jets and Cowher have not sat down and talked yet and are still receptive.

Jetsfan0099
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

And the Jets are now back in it!! (Big smiles)

Daytona Fin
12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Those reports are not true. WFAN reported about 30 minutes ago that the Jets and Cowher have not sat down and talked yet and are still receptive.

off topic what history exactly did chrebet make?

utahphinsfan
12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Cowher is probably the most overrated coach in NFL history....he won ONE Superbowl during a year when there just wasn't a lot of great teams He had all that talent over the years and did little with it.

Exactly. An overrated coach on an overhypped team then & possibly next year.

The only reason he won the Super Bowl is because of all the Bettis melodrama. 99 times out of 100; Superchin gets outcoached by Holmgren.

As for the talent, Didn't Joey Porter just have his best season ever?

CHAD4MVP
12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I Hope He Doesnt Go.. I Do Not Wanna Face Cowher Twice A Year. And U Know He Would Do Anything Possible To Bring Cassell To The Jets. And That Would Suck For Us.!

Vaark
12-30-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm hoping they promote Callahan

SabanHater
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
he knows he won't win with Farve.

Jetsfan89
12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
off topic what history exactly did chrebet make?

idk i'd have to go back to the article I stole that from and read it again lol.

I put that there because I have forgot how to put images in your signature. I took about a 6 month hiatus from message boards and basically forgot everything. http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif or something like that.

sbh1602
12-30-2008, 02:28 PM

You mean, sort of like Don Shula in the 80s and 90s? Except he didn't win anything...

If you want to argue that a guy that got to two SuperBowls, won one, got 9 division championships (and 10 playoff appearances) over 15 years, is NOT a good coach... Well, you better bring something else than "how many teams he let get away". Because those teams were great BECAUSE of him in the first place.

PS - No, I'm not criticizing Shula. Well, not more than usual, anyway.

Sofa_King_Drunk
12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
idk i'd have to go back to the article I stole that from and read it again lol.

I put that there because I have forgot how to put images in your signature. I took about a 6 month hiatus from message boards and basically forgot everything. http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif or something like that.

Wasn't it most receptions by an undrafted free agent ?

Phinatic99
12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Just saw this on ESPN and realized the previous Cowher/Jets post of him not wanting to go to NY because he wants final say with personell. This article basically states his interest and the Jets being willing to restructure to get him there. The link is right on ESPN (sorry, couldn't post it bc I don't have enough posts).

SabanHater
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM

houtz
12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Figures. I just wanted to post the other article as soon as I saw it. Should have known another article would pop up with a completely different report.

Phishpunk@WCU
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Cowher has stated that he wants the time off to spend with his family and will look to coach in 2010. I don't see him coming back to coach next season.

SabanHater
12-30-2008, 03:03 PM
$@&# IT!!!! they'll throw everything and the kitchen sink at him.

Jethatr
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
His family has interest around NY as his oldest daughter has another year at Princeton. If Woody gives him full autonomy and 8+ mil he will be the next coach of the NY Jests.

3rdandinches
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
If Jerry Jones had half a brain he'd hire Cowher and leave everything in his hands.

phinfan13/34
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Come now guys, by know you should know all these coaches lie about their availability to get the most money they can. Once they plop enough money he'll come to NY or anywhere else thats willing to pay up.

phinman1
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
So what.

All these previously great coaches who step out of the game for a couple of years and then decide to comeback usually suck big time in their second stint.

JJ and Gibbs being two primary examples. Gibbs was twice the coach Cowher was.

So come on back Bill. Get your money so that Jets fans will have yet something else to be disappointed in.

NJDOLPHAN76
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I heard on NFL radio he declined to even interview! HAHAHA!

LETS GO FINS!

Dolfan3773
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
nice...

Fin_Fanatic
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
cowher is too successful. i hope he goes to the NFC if anything

Jetsfan89
12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Wasn't it most receptions by an undrafted free agent ?

That might be it. I didnt think they were using the word "History" literally in the article but yes he might hold that record.

Chrebet was a good player. Nothing special. Had a ton of heart and was a gamer and good coaches like Parcells loved him. Its a shame he got hurt. He's only 35 years old. A huge fan favorite. The stadium probably got the loudest on a given play when he got the ball. Just one of those guys.

As far as Cowher goes. He's a good coach. He's not great though. It's not Bellicheck or Parcells coming to coach the team. He's had a lot of big game losses in his career. IF the Jets get him the one thing that is a positive is consistancy. He always puts a good product on the field. However he never has had to pick his own players which apperently is something he wants to do.

I think he wants to coach the Jets. He said no to the Lions and Browns and is willing to talk to the Jets. It seems to me that there the only team he would be willing to come out of retirment this year to coach. It makes sense. New York is a big market and pays well and his daughter goes to Princeton. But it looks like the Jets are going to have to meet a couple of demands which might include having Tannenbaum give some GM control to Cowher. I'd probably do it if I were the Jets

Out of all the guys out there right now he is the guy I want but I dont regard him as a great Head Coach. He's very good. But not great.

Roman529
12-30-2008, 04:44 PM
You mean, sort of like Don Shula in the 80s and 90s? Except he didn't win anything...

If you want to argue that a guy that got to two SuperBowls, won one, got 9 division championships (and 10 playoff appearances) over 15 years, is NOT a good coach... Well, you better bring something else than "how many teams he let get away". Because those teams were great BECAUSE of him in the first place.

PS - No, I'm not criticizing Shula. Well, not more than usual, anyway.

There is one problem with your logic amigo. Cowher had a whole history of Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame players on his squad during most of his tenure there while Shula had very little to work with after the mid-70's. With the kind of talent Cowher had he should have won more than ONE Superbowl during his tenure. Ask real Steeler fans what they think of Cowher as a coach and they will say he is/was very OVERRATED!!!

Roman529
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM

And the Jets are now back in it!! (Big smiles)

You can have the Chin. He chokes in the Big Games. :lol:

CalDolFan1014
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think he'll touch that mess (the Jets) unless they give him FULL control....which I doubt they will. Even if they DO hire him, who's going to be their QB next season????

djfresh47
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
There is one problem with your logic amigo. Cowher had a whole history of Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame players on his squad during most of his tenure there while Shula had very little to work with after the mid-70's. With the kind of talent Cowher had he should have won more than ONE Superbowl during his tenure. Ask real Steeler fans what they think of Cowher as a coach and they will say he is/was very OVERRATED!!!

Who are these HOF players? Woodson sticks out but that's obvious. Bettis also. He had a bunch of players who he got the most out of. Roethislinberger has a chance but he's still got a long way to go. Guys like Greene, Lloyd, Kirkland were good but they aren't HOF players.

I don't get where the real Steelers fans who would claim that Cowher is overrated are. Probably the same place that the experts who believe Brady is overrated are at.

Cowher would be a great hire. The Jets have issues but we've just witnessed what a guy who comes in and changes the atmosphere around a franchise can do.

Parcells being involved with the Dolphins, Belicheck running the Pats, and Cowher running Jets would make great rivalry games, IMO. While Jauron being told he'll be returning to Buffalo makes the Bills a joke.

Jetsfan0099
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Dude, saying Cowher isn't good..... Is retarded. If the Jets don't get him I will still say hes a great coach. The guy has done more in 15 seasons then the Jets done in 40!!

Just to let you guys know, the reason why he has interest in the Jets is because it possibly is the "right situation" that he has been talking about. He would be close to his 2 daughters who one is at princeton the other works in the area I heard. His youngest is a SR in HS. The Jets will offer a bunch of money because they need him to help generate interest to sell PSL for the new stadium.
The Jets are willing to do what ever it takes to get him if he has interest.

sbh1602
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Excuse me? Shula had "very little to work with"?

I cannot begin to understand where you get that from. I don't even want to argue the embarrassment of riches we had back in the 80s and 90s.

Just as we had talent offensively, the Cowher Steelers had talent defensively. And just as we sucked at attaining defensive talent, they sucked at getting offensive talent. Or need I remind you of Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox? Hall of Famers, I tell ya.

Look, I'm not saying Cowher is the best coach in the face of the earth. But to argue he's overrated, as a coach? No way. Wannstedt was overrated. Cowher earned his status.

Clipse
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I Hope He Doesnt Go.. I Do Not Wanna Face Cowher Twice A Year. And U Know He Would Do Anything Possible To Bring Cassell To The Jets. And That Would Suck For Us.!
Cassel is a product of a system. I hope to dear God the Jets bring the 2009 Free Agent Bust of the Year in.

studsatele
12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Cassel is a product of a system. I hope to dear God the Jets bring the 2009 Free Agent Bust of the Year in.

yes!!!!! i agree. some team, hopefully the jets, will put up the farm to get cassel. where he will simply clean there plow!!!!

utahphinsfan
12-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Cowher reminds me somewhat of HHH but nowhere near the personality.

steeda
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
ESPNews just reported that Cowher's agent said that he won't be coaching the Jets in 2009. Cowher says he has no interest.

I don't have a link but it's scrolling across the bottom of the screen right now.

aquaman54
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Cowher has stated that he wants the time off to spend with his family and will look to coach in 2010. I don't see him coming back to coach next season.
Even if he wanted to coach again,I think Cowher has too much class to go to Dreg City. :nate:

phinatic0083
12-31-2008, 12:38 AM
well i guess they better keep looking!

CitizenSnips
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
im not surprised by that at all, although part of me wishes he did go there. I honestly don't think Cowher would/will accomplish much when he returns.

Think about it, the guy lost Rus Grimm, Ken Whisenhunt, and dick lebeau. His coaching staff would be completely different. It would take him 2-3 years to get a respectable team going, and as we saw in New York, coaches just don;t have that kind of time.

Gonk
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Just saw that too. I'm pretty happy about it.

I think the Jets are going to get someone good though... Schottenheimer seems to be the likely guy, and he would probably be a lot better of a coach for them than Cowher. Marty builds SOLID teams all-around; the current Chargers and 90's Chiefs both had amazing rosters in terms of talent.

Jetsfan0099
12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Even if he wanted to coach again,I think Cowher has too much class to go to Dreg City. :nate:

You realize Cowher works there right? He travels to NY on the weekends. Reason he doesn't want to coach is because of his daughter. He will return next year, has no interest in coaching this year.

Wonder if the Jets will go after Mike Shanahan.

GoonBoss
12-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I knew that was smoke. No way in hell does he take that job. Cowher had some bad years in Pitt.

aquaman54
12-31-2008, 12:56 AM
You realize Cowher works there right? He travels to NY on the weekends. Reason he doesn't want to coach is because of his daughter. He will return next year, has no interest in coaching this year.

Wonder if the Jets will go after Mike Shanahan.
I'm just 'funnin with ya,and yes.......I'm pretty shocked Shanahan was turned loose.Somebody will cash in on that quick.You guys,or I would'nt be shocked to see Jerry go after him with the wheels falling off in Dallas.

Phinsfan210
12-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Jets are going to regret letting Mangini go.

aquaman54
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
.....and if you guys did get him,he'd have the luxury of not worrying about his RB situation(Jones/Washington).I'm sure that had to be driving him nuts in Denver.That was a modern day MASH unit.

GoonBoss
12-31-2008, 01:03 AM

Yes they are. Par for the course.

JCane
12-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Don't be surprised when the Jets go calling Mike Shanahan now.

Kdawg954
12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Denver seems ideal for Cowher . . . QB is in place and he can be in charge of player personnel. If he fixes the defense and brings in a power runner like Beanie Wells, that team will be good very quick.

Shannahan to the Jest seems very realistic to me.

Mangini to the Browns

Garrett to the Lions?

Spagnoli stays with Giants and eventually takes over.

Bigbucks24
12-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Keep in mind that Shanarat had 100% personnel control in Denver and likely would want it again. His weaknes was his drafting and free agent aquisition. He is a great game day coach, but a poor Personnel man. I don't seen him going to NY because of Tannenbaum. I don't see him going to Dallas because Jerry will NEVER relinquish control of HIS team to anyone--including God. Not sure where I see him fitting. Maybe the Lions?

Jetsfan0099
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I heard that Shanahan probably wants to be just a Head Coach. Not a GM also, have someone to help him as it burnt him out a bit. He loves coaching still from what I heard, but all of the stuff he did may be too much.
Jets already have in place a good scouting department, a good GM. So we'll see.

If no to Shanahan, I see either Lesie Frazier or Steve Spagnuolo as the next HC. Both are getting interviews and both are rising stocks as head coaches.

sbh1602
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I heard that Shanahan probably wants to be just a Head Coach. Not a GM also, have someone to help him as it burnt him out a bit. He loves coaching still from what I heard, but all of the stuff he did may be too much.
Jets already have in place a good scouting department, a good GM. So we'll see.

If no to Shanahan, I see either Lesie Frazier or Steve Spagnuolo as the next HC. Both are getting interviews and both are rising stocks as head coaches.

Out of the available coaches, I think Shanahan would be the best out there. And the Jets would be lucky to get him.

Spags is a good choice, but their own success will be his doom. No one likes to hire a coach deep into January. Unless the Eagles pull the upset (and it's about a coin toss with those teams)... I don't see it happening.

Leslie Frazier is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm not sure exactly how much of that great defense is coaching, and how much is the sheer amount of talent they have. That DL could dominate in any team, and any conference.

Schottenheimer, he's probably not the best for the Jets, since his best attribute is to coach teams back to above average performance. He's like Parcells in that regard, and what happens next, well, I believe he's had more bad luck than has been a bad coach. But people seem to think he's snakebit, and that really wouldn't go well what with the NY media and everything.

Jetsfan0099
12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm hearing around here that Marty Schottenheimer may get the job. Hes got a lousy playoff record, but he is a winner. He has 2 losing seasons as HC.
Might happen as the Jets may want a veteran HC, as the team is pretty talented. They are definitely playoff caliber talent wise. Marty knows how to build teams, so the Jets won't fall apart and he can continue to keep building them up. Also he could bring in some very nice coordinators. Definitely a better coaching staff then the Jets had last year.

The thing that would be good with Marty is he would keep the 3-4 defense which this team is pretty much built for. He would bring a more aggressive attacking defense though, instead of the lame soft defense that Mangini and staff ran. The one where we rushed 3 guys and dropped the rest into coverage, and our DBs still couldn't cover anyone.

Batroc
01-11-2009, 02:42 AM

Last year they blamed their downfall on Chad, so once he was out of the picture Mangina was the only scapegoat left. Who else were they gonna blame it on?...Favre? Pfffft whatever! John Madden would go insane and eat Woody's face if the Jets sent Golden Boy packing :D