PDA

View Full Version : Robert Marve officially OUT as the UM Quarterback.

Kdawg954
12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Marve granted release from Hurricanes scholarship

I guess Jacory will be the man come next year and I think it is for the best. That 2 QB thing just didn't work this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3800390

"I had to get out," Marve told the AP from his family's home in Tampa. "I just decided that I can't play for Coach Shannon."

Wow . . . I guess we had a Nix/Marve vs. Shannon/Harris thing going on at UM. Guess the QB from Northwestern who helped bring in the studs from Northwestern and the head coach wins that one 99 out of a 100 times.

Kdawg954
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Second thing is this:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-1230umqb,0,4468856.story

Eugene Marve said UM will not allow his son to transfer to any schools in the Southeastern and Atlantic Coast Conferences or any in Florida.

So that eliminates USF, UF, FSU, LSU and all those other rumored schools we have been hearing about.

Dolfan3773
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I was never a fan of Marve. He has tallent but I never liked his attitude

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

JCane
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
From what I've got Shannon is trying to prevent him from playing in the SEC. He certainly will not play for any team in Florida. I found out at the Emerald Bowl that he would not have transferred to USF even if given the opportunity which kind of baffled me.

Dolfan3773
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
From what I've got Shannon is trying to prevent him from playing in the SEC. He certainly will not play for any team in Florida. I found out at the Emerald Bowl that he would not have transferred to USF even if given the opportunity which kind of baffled me.

Where do you think he would go? cause that eliminates Florida and Alabama

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Maybe he'll go to Fresno State...I think they need a QB, and he'd be better than what they have.

Maybe Hawaii or Texas Tech?

Dolfan3773
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe he'll go to Fresno State...I think they need a QB, and he'd be better than what they have.

Maybe Hawaii or Texas Tech?

What about West Virginia? Pat Whites a senior or Michigan?

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I guess the possibilities are endless.

CHAD4MVP
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow Marve Strong Words There Buddy - Culdnt Play For Coach Shannon??lol

Fine Then Leave You Werent That Good Anyway. Jacory Outplayed U . And He Just Made 1 Dumb Very Costly Mistake At The End Of California Game And Jacory Atleast Had 1 Great Game The Final Drive Vs Virginia...marve Didnt Have Any Memorable Moments This Year... Bye Buddy Have A Safe Trip To Alabama! Bet U Thats Where He Will End Up.

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
He can't go to the SEC, so that takes Bama out of the equation. I really wasn't a fan of his attitude, but he did get jerked around this season.

Harris really didn't outplay him. Sure, he had a nice drive against UVa, and a nice game against Dook, but they're hardly great teams. I really didn't see anything inspiring in that Emerald Bowl game either. Marve wasn't too bad in the Wake Forest game.

Not to mention, that if we're really going to go back to a Pro-Style offense, Harris doesn't fit that well as a QB, he's more suited for a Spread-Style offense. Who really knows what the future holds.

JCane
12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
It's not FINAL that Robert won't be able to transfer to an SEC school just yet. The Marve camp will dertainly pitch a ***** and file greivances or whatever they have to do. Randy is trying to make that happen but I don't think it happens. Shannon is certainly trying to cut Robert's options short but this is a bit vindictive. Whther this is Marve's fault or not, he's just a kid and I don't think he should have opportunities taken from him just because. I certainly understand why Randy doesn't want Marve playing anywhere in the state of Florida but that's different. Playing for Florida hurts Miami a lot more than it hurts if he were to transfer to LSU or Alabama.

As far as where Marve transfers to, I couldn't really say. Marve is gone from Miami and I'm not going to break my neck or push buttons to figure out where he's headed. He's head isn't in Miami and we mover forward without him. Personally, I think he best fits at Tennessee. I think he would fit right in with Lane Kiffin who would rely heavily on Robert Marve to give his offense an identity.

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 08:22 PM
He'll just be like that other dude who wanted to transfer to Rutgers and filed a lawsuit or something similar.

I can understand not letting him transfer to an ACC or in-state school, but to all of the SEC is asinine IMO.

JCane
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
He'll just be like that other dude who wanted to transfer to Rutgers and filed a lawsuit or something similar.

I can understand not letting him transfer to an ACC or in-state school, but to all of the SEC is asinine IMO.

Brian Fortay?

CedarPhin
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah. That sounds about right.

Namor
12-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Where do you think he would go? cause that eliminates Florida and Alabama

Alabama was never a option...Saban pulled Marve's scholly chance that
Shula gave him because he's a punk.He has some sealed criminal past,because of his age.Why would Saban want him now,when he didn't want him then?

Namor
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow Marve Strong Words There Buddy - Culdnt Play For Coach Shannon??lol

Fine Then Leave You Werent That Good Anyway. Jacory Outplayed U . And He Just Made 1 Dumb Very Costly Mistake At The End Of California Game And Jacory Atleast Had 1 Great Game The Final Drive Vs Virginia...marve Didnt Have Any Memorable Moments This Year... Bye Buddy Have A Safe Trip To Alabama! Bet U Thats Where He Will End Up.

Why bring up BAMA?Miami didn't take Marve from us.Saban DID NOT
want him..Now you see why.We have Star Jackson and AJ Maccaron,
who are better anyway.

JCane
12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Saban would have taken Marve. Saban never informed Marve that Alabama had landed Nick Fannuzi and that didn't sit right with Marve and his family. Marve loved Mike Shula for whatever reason and was set on playing football for the Tide. Fannuzi on the other hand was set to play for the 'Canes. Essentially, Alabama and Miami swapped commits. Saban never pulled the scholarship. Marve simply bounced.

Namor
12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Saban would have taken Marve. Saban never informed Marve that Alabama had landed Nick Fannuzi and that didn't sit right with Marve and his family. Marve loved Mike Shula for whatever reason and was set on playing football for the Tide. Fannuzi on the other hand was set to play for the 'Canes. Essentially, Alabama and Miami swapped commits. Saban never pulled the scholarship. Marve simply bounced.
No...I sat at a booster dinner in Dothan,Al and listened to Nick personally
say why he didn't want Marve.Shula recruited thugs.Marve's Dad tried
several times to contact Nick.Nick told him what was going on and then
went after Fannuzi thru Major Applewhite.
Spin it however you want to.

JCane
12-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Ok, maybe Saban did say that he did not want Marve. I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is that it's not documented anywhere that the scholarship was pulled even though this happens often. Marve decommitted when the news of Fannuzi surfaced. Most coaches will call a recruit and let the recruit know when he has is recruiting another player of the same position. It's recruiting courtesy. Saban did not do this with Marve. Now, if Saban didn't want Marve as you say, then it certainly makes sense that he didn't contact Marve sbout Fannuzi.

Namor
12-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok, maybe Saban did say that he did not want Marve. I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is that it's not documented anywhere that the scholarship was pulled even though this happens often. Marve decommitted when the news of Fannuzi surfaced. Most coaches will call a recruit and let the recruit know when he has is recruiting another player of the same position. It's recruiting courtesy. Saban did not do this with Marve. Now, if Saban didn't want Marve as you say, then it certainly makes sense that he didn't contact Marve sbout Fannuzi.

No again....Shula recruited thugs...Marve was/is a CRIMINAL.Marve's father (one Robert's many problems)
contacted Saban many times,but Nick told him he wasn't going to honor Shula's choice because of well
known character issuses.Around here it tripped people
out why Nick bypassed him for a lesser talented QB.
Then we found out,...Now you Canes know.
Look UM is WAY better off now.All I'm saying don't act
like BAMA is a option or that Miami stole Marve from us,because once Saban got to Bama,Marve was a never
was and a never will be at Bama.DJ Hall,Keith Brown,
and Jimmy Johns..and now Andre Smith...I'm glad
most of Shula's thugs are gone/or will be gone.
I don't want to argue..It always looks different,depending on which side of the water your standing on.The fact was/is that Marve is a spoiled bad
seed.He will do more stupid things before he is through.
I'm a Bama grad,but respect the Canes alot.Would love
to see Bama/Miami play for the title again one day.

JCane
12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm not here to argue either and I certainly understand what you're saying about Robert Marve. I started to become leary of the kid when he and Jermaine McKenzie were involved in that car accident that forced Marve to redshirt as a true Freshman. Now, both he and McKenzie are on their way out. I knew that Alabama wasn't an option for Marve a month ago when all of this transfer talk began. Robert's biggest problem here is that he has a sense of entitlement and doesn't like being threatened by a little competition. He doesn't embrace it.

And so you know, I'd prefer if Miami never played Alabama again because I know how Nick Saban is during big games. I have as much respect for Nick Saban as anyone you can find. I had absolutely no problem with the way he left the Dolphins. A lot of people do, however. I'm sure you're aware of that lol. But with Nick Saban, it's tough for any team to have a chance. I was 14 years old in 1992 and remember that National Title game between Alabama and Miami like it was yesterday. I see Lamar Thomas all the time and I can tell you, there's not a day that goes by that he doesn't think about George Teague. I couldn't believe Teague ran Lamar down like that and Teague didn't even appear to pull up when stripping the ball. I was crushed as a kid.

I've never made easy money quite as easily as I did this season when Alabama was a 7 point underdog to Clemson. I know all about Nick Saban and I live 45 minutes from the Clemson campus so I know all about Tommy Bowden. One of those coaches runs the toughest camp in the country, the other runs the softest camp in the country. It wasn't hard to figure out Alabama would roll Clemson easily. Alabama was easy money for the majority of the season and I was all over it every time. I think the only bet I lost on Alabama was during the SEC title game. I had Alabama +10. I believe they roll Utah as well.

Namor
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Tebow manned up and took that SEC game on his back.
He is one tuff cookie.

biggiesmalls3k1
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey I just saw on ESPN that Jack Arute (of all people) is reporting that Brian Kelly, Head Coach at Cincinnati has asked for permission to speak with Robert Marve about a possible transfer there.

I think he'd be a great fit there, they have some great athletes on offense and he could give them another dimension with his running. We'll see what happens, this is gonna be a long, drawn-out process...

JCane
01-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey I just saw on ESPN that Jack Arute (of all people) is reporting that Brian Kelly, Head Coach at Cincinnati has asked for permission to speak with Robert Marve about a possible transfer there.

I think he'd be a great fit there, they have some great athletes on offense and he could give them another dimension with his running. We'll see what happens, this is gonna be a long, drawn-out process...

This is TRUE.

biggiesmalls3k1
01-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Cincinnati is coming outta nowhere, but it really would be a good fit, they are losing Pike and they dont seem to have anyone else to step in...good luck to Marve, they have pretty good WR there and a pretty wide open offense...

JCane
01-02-2009, 11:07 PM
* * * UPDATE * * *

The University has partially lifted the restrictions of Marve's transfer. He will be allowed to transfer to an SEC school but <b>NOT</b> the University of Tennessee, Louisiana State University, or the University of Florida. Below is the University's officialy statement released earlier.

"The University of Miami Athletic Department this afternoon lifted its restriction on Robert Marve transferring to a Southeastern Conference school with the exception of the University of Florida, the University of Tennessee and Louisiana State University. Due to the attention this issue has received, the University feels it is appropriate to state the reason for keeping the restriction on those schools. The University of Miami has reason to believe that the Marve family or others on behalf of the Marve family contacted those institutions during the 2008 season regarding Robert's potential transfer prior to him having been given his release by UM. We are not suggesting any wrong doing on the part of any of the universities mentioned. Robert's desire to request a transfer was reviewed in the same manner that we do for every student-athlete in every sport. It is important to note that any stipulations imposed on any possible transfer are always the result of circumstances and are not done in haste or spite. As per NCAA regulations, a student-athlete can appeal any restrictions or stipulations given by a school regarding his or her transfer."

Dolfan3773
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
JCane, i just read that Marve is considering Oklahoma St. and Purdue, is that true? Also that we offered the OC job to Mike Shula?

JCane
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
To be honest, I don't know much about the Marve situation. He has no more ties to the University of Miami so he isn't having to report anything to Coach Shannon anymore. If he isn't reporting to anyone at Miami, my information will be just as good as anything that you guys get. Last I heard about Marve was what I read in the papers about his father not being happy with the appeal. Apparently the appeal granted Robert the chance to play at South Florida or Central Florida. This wasn't good enough for the Marve family which proved that they were lying about wanting to play close to home because of family medical problems and financial reasons. And now if those goobers are serious about Oklahoma State or Purdue...please. They were a joke all along and they know it. Marve wants to play at LSU or Tennessee and they're upset because the restrictions weren't lifted on those two schools.

As far as Mike Shula is concerned, I haven't heard that anyone has been offered the position yet but I did hear that Shula has no interest in leaving the NFL to return to the college ranks. Myself and others are still convinced that Koetter is the top name on Shannon's list but until something happens with Koetter in Jacksonville, Koetter won't even interview for the job. but I am hearing that the search is getting serious and that we can expect a hire as soon as this week perhaps.

burger13
01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
No...I sat at a booster dinner in Dothan,Al and listened to Nick personally
say why he didn't want Marve.Shula recruited thugs.Marve's Dad tried
several times to contact Nick.Nick told him what was going on and then
went after Fannuzi thru Major Applewhite.
Spin it however you want to.

and I heard Saban say "I am not going to coach Alabama" :sidelol:

Serious question though.....how is it that Shannon/Miami has so much say as to where Marve can or can't go?

Namor
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
and I heard Saban say "I am not going to coach Alabama" :sidelol:

Serious question though.....how is it that Shannon/Miami has so much say as to where Marve can or can't go?

Honestly,you have to ask this????LOL

burger13
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Honestly,you have to ask this????LOL

I don't get what's so funny......

I don't know so I asked. I don't know all the rules of college football when it comes to transfers and players sitting out a year, etc.

JCane
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM

I don't know so I asked. I don't know all the rules of college football when it comes to transfers and players sitting out a year, etc.

Well, most of the cards are held by the University these days. The player is pretty much at the mercy of the school he is transferring from. The NCAA says that any player who transfers must sit out a year.

Personally, I think it's extremely unfair to the player. But I understand some of the restrictions on where a player can and cannot transfer. It certainly makes sense to restrict Robert from transferring to another instate school such as Florida or Florida State because we recruit against those two schools and a player like Marve could potentially impact the decision of a recruit such as, let's say, Andre Debose who is currently committed to Florida. If we allow Marve to transfer to Florida, and Marve gets in Andre's ear and tells only his side of the story, Debose then eliminates the possibility of Debose changing his mind and coming to Miami which is very possible at this point. Also, Robert was restricted from three SEC schools because the University of Miami had reason to believe that Marve or people on Marve's behalf contacted those three schools during the season about the possibility of transferring to those schools at season's end. In just about every case, any player who wants to transfer will be restricted from signing with another instate school and usually any other in-conference school. The last player I can recall to be allowed to transfer from one school to another within the same state was Gator quarterback, Brock Berlin, who transferred from Florida to Miami.

We made those rednecks pay for that, too. ;)

College Football recuiting is a cut-throat game. It is brutal. I could tell you things that you wouldn't believe. If you or anyone else here is interested in some of the things that go on "behind the scenes" in the world of recruiting, pick up the book "Meat Market." Absolutely incredible read.

Namor
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree "Meat Market" is the 2nd best book I've read in the last
two years. Blind Side is also a good one.

Namor
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM

I apologize..for my rudness...Most of it came because
of the silly Saban quote.
After all the crap he took for that comment,I wished
he just said"Yes,I'm leaving this piece of ****
franchise with the lying owner ,who stuck me with
a gimp of a QB nobody wanted.
That would have been classic.
Bama is better off,Saban is really better off,and
my Dolphins are better off.Win,win for everybody.
I just don't understand this rejected girlfriend
attitude.

kpcane
01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
attitude.

Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Kyle Orton
Derek Anderson
Matt Cassel
Tarvaris Jackson

All of these players were available to draft for Saban. By the way - Huizenga doesn't make any personnel decisions. When Saban was here, he made ALL personnel decisions. He has no one to blame for his failures here but himself. My belief is that if he had stayed he would have been very successful, but instead he remains an NFL failure.

Namor
01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Kyle Orton
Derek Anderson
Matt Cassel
Tarvaris Jackson

All of these players were available to draft for Saban. By the way - Huizenga doesn't make any personnel decisions. When Saban was here, he made ALL personnel decisions. He has no one to blame for his failures here but himself. My belief is that if he had stayed he would have been very successful, but instead he remains an NFL failure.

None as good as Ronnie with the #2 pick.
The Jason Allen pick should have worked...I don't know what happened
with him.
Wayne would not sign off on Drew Brees because of the doctors
report.FACT
He would take the chance on CPep.Saban didn't want him because
of his knee injury.Thats why Joey was brought in.
From a old post of mine,check out Wayne's history with Miami compared
to Saban.
Hmmm...
Wayne H. runs off Don Shula.
Wayne H.hires the real Satan (Pork Chop Face J.J.)..no matter how
you feel about Nick,he will never be the prick Jimmy Johnson was.
JJ's hire was done behind Don 's back.
Wayne H allows J.J to bring in Dave Wann. (Brilliant!!!)
Wayne H allows Dave to run off Marino,because his coaching legacy in
Chicago is still revered to this day.
Wayne keeps Dave around how years to long? because Dave was such
a great coach and GM.
Finally a ray of hope...Nick Saban is hired.
Nick is supposed to have total control of football operations.
This really isn't the true case since people around Wayne advised him to
"Help" Saban out after giving to much control to Wanny.
Wayne steered certain high profile coaches to be hired for their
experiance.
With Saban's ego,do you think he wanted a Harris or Dom Capers there,
or Muschamp who had been with him for years.
Muschamp wasn't allowed to be DC because of no NFL experiance.
Then Wayne cuts Nick's legs out from under him on the Drew Brees deal.
Alabama contacts Jimmy Sexton who now knows Saban wants out of Miami and into a high profile college job.
Sexton knows Wayne is guilty of breach of contract,so all systems are go.
The deal is done,just wait for the season to be over.
It's leaked to the media...the darlings everybody loves.
So instead of saying he is bailing out before the year is over and
really screwing Miami's year up,Nick lies to the media....poor media...
they're such just people.
Could Nick have handled it better? You Bet'cha.
I guess as Nick was heading out the door he told Wayne to hire Cam. C.
Cam was Nick's fault also,according to you guys.
Saban was here for TWO years.
How long has Wayne been screwing Miami.
If Parcells didn't live in Florida,Wayne would still be screwing us
Look what he did with the Marlins...Look at his track record.
He hasn't been as hands off as you want to believe.
After all this Saban is the scumbag ,but Wayne loves the Dolphins
Get real.

kpcane
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you have ADD? How much of that do you actually believe?

Anyway, the point was Saban could have drafted any of those guys and didn't. Ronnie only held him up from gettting Rodgers and Campbell. All of those other guys were still available.

Namor
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Do you have ADD? How much of that do you actually believe?

Anyway, the point was Saban could have drafted any of those guys and didn't. Ronnie only held him up from gettting Rodgers and Campbell. All of those other guys were still available.

Son...It's all fact.Check it out.I've been a Dolphins fan since 1970.
Went to Miami all the time in the 70's,when my dad's engineering firm
handled the renovations at the Orange Bowl in 73 or 74 ,I can't remember
the exact date.Met Danny Thomas when I was a little boy,he was the
original owner with Joe Robbie,I understand this was way before your
time.My dad ,who is a big Alabama booster has had dealings with
the Robbies and Wayne.I went to school with Mike Shula.I've sat at
several alumni dinners talking football with Saban,the last two years.
He has always talked positve about the Dolphins,especially Zack
and JT.He said there is alot of old time employees(suit types)
that had been their too long,that Wayne was still loyal to,that
got in the way of the football operations.Saban didn't have the type
of control that Parcells enjoys...I don't think Nick's way can work in
the pro's.it works in the college game.
Listen...what I'm asking is ...look at it without the emotion of your
favorite team being dumped.Nobody is as good or as evil as they are
made out to be.......except Tim Tebow maybe...
Just look back at Wayne's history.Good intentions or not,he has made alot
of mistakes with this team.

Oh yea...two of my children do suffer from ADHD..so it probly does run
in the family.
Thank you for asking.
I don't want to argue,just look at it with a open mind.
Later man.

kpcane
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
You're presenting an argument that I don't care about. All I'm saying is that if Saban wanted to complain about having no QB, he has no one to complain to but himself.

#1 Fan
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Kyle Orton
Derek Anderson
Matt Cassel
Tarvaris Jackson

campbell, orton, jackson and anderson aren't that good and rodgers is a losing quarterback.

kpcane
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
campbell, orton, jackson and anderson aren't that good and rodgers is a losing quarterback.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I didn't say Peyton Manning was available, but I think you'd agree that all of those QB's are better than Gus Frerotte, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, and Joey Harrington. Campbell, Orton, and Anderson are actually pretty good QB's and Jackson had a solid year when healthy. Too early for Rodgers, but apparently you're ready to label him a loser.

Namor
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
You're presenting an argument that I don't care about. All I'm saying is that if Saban wanted to complain about having no QB, he has no one to complain to but himself.

WRONG!!!!
Saban wanted Brees,Wayne would not sign off on the
dollar amount Drew wanted based on Miami's doctors
report.Do you have ADHD?Are you freaking listening?If money wasn't the factor,does it sound like a good idea to waste a 2nd round pick on a damaged QB or a
free agent QB that costs just money?

X-Pacolypse
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
attitude.

Because it's just so darn easy to hate Nick Saban.

kpcane
01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
WRONG!!!!
Saban wanted Brees,Wayne would not sign off on the
dollar amount Drew wanted based on Miami's doctors
report.Do you have ADHD?Are you freaking listening?If money wasn't the factor,does it sound like a good idea to waste a 2nd round pick on a damaged QB or a
free agent QB that costs just money?

Sounds like you do want to argue.

If you're talking about Brees - that's only one guy. There were plenty available. Do you have any proof that Wayne didn't sign off on the Brees' signing, or are you just speculating?

You can spin it any way you want. Saban had plenty of opportunities to get a QB. There were plenty available besides Brees.

Ima_Cowboy
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
nice pic