PDA

View Full Version : A card from the very first baseball card set

WeVie
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Lookie what I bought. It's a baseball card from the very first set of baseball cards. It is called a T206 Piedmont. They don't have years or numbers on them like they do now and you can't tell which year it is but they were put in cigarettes in 1909, 1910, and 1911. I think it is cool so I thought I would share. I only collect football cards but I could'nt pass on owning something like this.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

WeVie
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
The back of it.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Blackocrates
12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Damn! That's amazing, I love sports cards. My big Christmas present this year was a Dan Marino rookie still in the pack. I posted a picture of it in the Christmas Present thread. I also mostly collect football cards, but when I come across anything of value I take a look at it. How did you find it? I've never seen a real one, just replicas.

WeVie
01-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Damn! That's amazing, I love sports cards. My big Christmas present this year was a Dan Marino rookie still in the pack. I posted a picture of it in the Christmas Present thread. I also mostly collect football cards, but when I come across anything of value I take a look at it. How did you find it? I've never seen a real one, just replicas.

I ran across it on ebay. Believe it or not it, I only payed about $35 for it. Best I can tell, it is worth about $100.

It's crazy to thing that the most expensive sports card out there came from the same set. It's the holy grail of baseball cards as they call it. The T206 Honus Wagner. One has sold for over a million bucks.

http://www.bobconnelly.com/honuswagnert206.html

WeVie
01-01-2009, 01:15 AM
If you are into collecting cards I ran across this site this morning. Some of these guys have some NICE cards.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/index.php

Blackocrates
01-01-2009, 10:04 AM
If you are into collecting cards I ran across this site this morning. Some of these guys have some NICE cards.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/index.php

Thanks for the link. I haven't been a serious collector in years and it obviously shows because I don't get a lot of the lingo they're speaking on that forum. Breaks? Hits? Plus a ton of acronyms that I don't understand. It's been too long. :lol:

I'm afraid to get back into it heavy again because I can quickly dump a lot of money into it. That's one weakness I have is the temptation of cards and comics. I'll never grow up.

WeVie
01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the link. I haven't been a serious collector in years and it obviously shows because I don't get a lot of the lingo they're speaking on that forum. Breaks? Hits? Plus a ton of acronyms that I don't understand. It's been too long. :lol:

I'm afraid to get back into it heavy again because I can quickly dump a lot of money into it. That's one weakness I have is the temptation of cards and comics. I'll never grow up.

I didn't get some of there lingo either. I mentioned there I am a phins fan and and of them offer to sale me a Jake Long autograph card for $19dlvd.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=660932

I had to ask him what that meant. ninteen bucks delivered. lol. They seem like a nice bunch of people and they even have ratings were they buy/sell/trade on the site.

WeVie
01-01-2009, 11:28 AM

You can spend a lot of cash fast. I used to buy and buy and buy. Now I buy a box here and there and a couple of packs from time to time. I used to buy something everytime I walked into a store that sells them.

I also buy a card from ebay from time to time but no more than eight to ten a year. I bought a Ronnie Brown auto numbered to 99 for about $25 and a game used card numbered to 25 for about $6 I think.

I could spend a years salary fast if given the chance. Look at this guys collection. They put them on photobuckett and put them in the link in there sig. He must be loaded to have this much stuff.

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w283/phinsfan77/?start=all

Blackocrates
01-01-2009, 08:45 PM
You can spend a lot of cash fast. I used to buy and buy and buy. Now I buy a box here and there and a couple of packs from time to time. I used to buy something everytime I walked into a store that sells them.

I also buy a card from ebay from time to time but no more than eight to ten a year. I bought a Ronnie Brown auto numbered to 99 for about $25 and a game used card numbered to 25 for about $6 I think.

I could spend a years salary fast if given the chance. Look at this guys collection. They put them on photobuckett and put them in the link in there sig. He must be loaded to have this much stuff.

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w283/phinsfan77/?start=all

I'm really going to have to watch myself, I almost put up a bid on ebay that would be ridiculous to say the least.

How in the world did that guy get those cards? How many Elway rookies does a guy need or want?

WeVie
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know. I think a lot of those guys are dealers but I still don't know how in the world even the dealers can get so many high dollar cards for cheap and then sell them for profit.

Ima_Cowboy
01-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I collect all sports cards - i have a game used yao ming rockets card, a michael jordan rookie in mint condition, and about 1000 baseball, football, and basketball cards

eger
01-19-2009, 06:36 PM
What's the point in collecting cards? You never get what they're worth when you sell them, eBay killed value eons ago. I have so many baseball, basketball, and football cards it's crazy, I haven't looked at them in about 10 years. It was rather frustrating going to card collectors and having them thumb through your card book lso fast that you almost thought they were looking for nude pictures and didn't find any.

I've stopped my gf from throwing them out numerous times, for the sole reason that maybe one day I will actually be able to sell them and perhaps people may have lost or damaged their cards over the years and I will have a rare item "yeah right."

But card collectors get theirs cheap from ripping off people who aren't patient enough to hold on tot hem. Card delaers are the same as Pawn shops to me. Buy low from someone that needs the money, sell high to someone who thinks they are actually worth something.

tylerdolphin
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I collect all sports cards - i have a game used yao ming rockets card, a michael jordan rookie in mint condition, and about 1000 baseball, football, and basketball cards
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what does that mean? I keep getting this picture in my head of Ming running up and down the court holding a card :lol:

ih8brady
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
What's the point in collecting cards? You never get what they're worth when you sell them, eBay killed value eons ago. I have so many baseball, basketball, and football cards it's crazy, I haven't looked at them in about 10 years. It was rather frustrating going to card collectors and having them thumb through your card book lso fast that you almost thought they were looking for nude pictures and didn't find any.

I've stopped my gf from throwing them out numerous times, for the sole reason that maybe one day I will actually be able to sell them and perhaps people may have lost or damaged their cards over the years and I will have a rare item "yeah right."

But card collectors get theirs cheap from ripping off people who aren't patient enough to hold on tot hem. Card delaers are the same as Pawn shops to me. Buy low from someone that needs the money, sell high to someone who thinks they are actually worth something.

Very true. Cards are a poor investment, at least in the way most people collect. Most players won't have lasting values and now it seems only insert(jersey, refractor, signature) cards have worth for the foreseeable future. I collected them as a child, mainly my favorite players and they are worth pennies on the dollar compared to what they were worth. Only the best of their generation (Jordan, Griffey, Marino, Barry Sanders, etc.) have sustained or grown in monetary worth and that won't last for some of them. Nobody wants Eddie George or Drew Bledsoe or anybody like that.

ih8brady
01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what does that mean? I keep getting this picture in my head of Ming running up and down the court holding a card :lol:

probably has a small piece of jersey or equipment sewn into the card.

Ima_Cowboy
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
ih8brady - ur right, it has a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch piece of jersey in the card