PDA

View Full Version : Album sales plunge, digital downloads up

BAMAPHIN 22
01-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Music sales have continued to slump in 2008 as the increased number of downloads of digital tracks failed to make up for a plunge in the sale of compact discs.

Year-end sales figures released Wednesday by The Nielsen Co. show total album sales, including album equivalents made up of single digital tracks, fell to 428.4 million units, down 8.5 percent from 500.5 million in 2007.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28463074/

Locke
01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I have no sympathy for record companies at all. The actual musicians get less than 1% of all profits made from CD sales, unless the artist actually owns the label, a la Metallica. Moreso than that, a lot of these record companies treat the musicians themselves like crap. They get little money to use on their tours, are expected to spend months on end away from home, and get tossed out like garbage the moment their popularity starts to decline. People downloading the music itself, even if they are paying for it, is a step in the right directions for real music lovers, in my opinion. This is quite possibly one business avenue that can actually be taken back and go back to what it was meant to be....

tylerdolphin
01-02-2009, 03:25 AM
I know Disturbed has said before that they dont give a crap if you download their cd or not. They said they don't make much off it anyway. They make their money on tour.