PDA

View Full Version : Defiance

Blackocrates
01-10-2009, 01:22 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/01/untitled-1.jpg

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8OI0JP50

I just watched this movie and was disappointed. It's entertaining and all but I feel like I've seen this movie a dozen times. Ed Zwick is the director and to me he's the king of average. Nearly every movie I've watched of his, I would say is only average. This movie is no different. The story is amazing and I really like Liev Schreiber and Daniel Craig, but it sort of falls flat. If you like war movies, you'll enjoy this but you won't think it's a classic or anything. The scenery is beautiful. I gave it a 6/10.

Tetragrammaton
01-10-2009, 01:51 AM
I was really looking forward to this movie, but then I heard the name Zwick. I hear the dialogue is tacky and unoriginal, as you would expect from him. I am still going to see it though. I have been hearing a lot of buzz for Schreiber for Best Supporting Actor.

Blackocrates
01-10-2009, 01:57 AM
I was really looking forward to this movie, but then I heard the name Zwick. I hear the dialogue is tacky and unoriginal, as you would expect from him. I am still going to see it though. I have been hearing a lot of buzz for Schreiber for Best Supporting Actor.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. Liev sure can act, I would like to see him get better roles.

Tetragrammaton
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Hopefully you'll enjoy it. Liev sure can act, I would like to see him get better roles.

The guy has really wasted so much of his career. I mean, who does three Scream movies?

This is one film "based on a true story" that I don't know the ending, so it should keep me interested. But then again, a handful of Jews against Nazi Germany are pretty long odds. I think it comes out here next week. I still have to catch up with Milk, Revolutionary Road, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, and the Wrestler.

ih8brady
01-10-2009, 05:28 AM
I've never seen him do anything good. The Scream movies were lame ripoffs of real slasher films; he was dreadful and non-believable as John Clark, perhaps Clancy's best character, in the awful Sum of All Fears; The Omen and Manchurian Candidate were failed and very unnecessary remakes of classic films. I know he is supposed to be great on stage, but am I missing something on celluloid? He always seems bland, quiet and uninterested in his film roles.

Tetragrammaton
01-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I've never seen him do anything good. The Scream movies were lame ripoffs of real slasher films; he was dreadful and non-believable as John Clark, perhaps Clancy's best character, in the awful Sum of All Fears; The Omen and Manchurian Candidate were failed and very unnecessary remakes of classic films. I know he is supposed to be great on stage, but am I missing something on celluloid? He always seems bland, quiet and uninterested in his film roles.

Well, yes he is a great stage actor. He has a Tony Award and is considered a brilliant classical performer. On screen, however, I really liked him in Walking in Talking, a nineties indie film.

Tetragrammaton
01-20-2009, 11:30 PM
The movie was cliched, full of bad plot twists, historically inaccurate, and emotionally manipulative. But, I liked it.

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
The movie was cliched, full of bad plot twists, historically inaccurate, and emotionally manipulative. But, I liked it.

:up: Well put.

mullet
01-23-2009, 05:58 PM

I too, will agree with that review.

uga3406
02-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Well, yes he is a great stage actor. He has a Tony Award and is considered a brilliant classical performer. On screen, however, I really liked him in Walking in Talking, a nineties indie film.

he is going to be in Wolverine due out this summer. That is sure to be a huge summer blockbuster, the tralier looked awesome..also I thought his 3-4 guest spot appearance in CSI was great as well....