PDA

View Full Version : Satirical Recommendations

Blackocrates
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
I was hoping you guys would recommend me your favorite satire movies? I just recently saw Dr. Strangelove... and Thank You For Smoking and I loved both of them. The Coens have made a few great satires and I love M.A.S.H., Network, Brazil, This is Spinal Tap, etc.

ih8brady
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Strangelove and Thank You... were great. Many of Charlie Chaplin's films were clever and hilarious satire of his generation's woes ( totalitarianism, industrialization, poverty, etc.). Gold Rush, Modern Times and The Great Dictator stand out. Duck Soup was a funny slapstick and absurd movie that mocks militarism and totalitarianism. It featured the Marx Brothers.

Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them. Shadows and Fog (film noir/1930s Europe)), Zelig (history) and Sleeper(future, futuristic scifi) were all smart and funny, reminicsent of his great stand-up schtick.

Tetragrammaton
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them.

A lot of them have been average lately, but surely you liked Vicky Cristina Barcelona?

ih8brady
01-18-2009, 05:00 AM
I haven't seen it yet, in fact I never heard of it until a few days ago when I overheard someone mention it about the Golden Globes. Is it a satire or romantic comedy? Annie Hall is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen, a very high bar set there in that category of romantic comedy.

Blackocrates
01-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Strangelove and Thank You... were great. Many of Charlie Chaplin's films were clever and hilarious satire of his generation's woes ( totalitarianism, industrialization, poverty, etc.). Gold Rush, Modern Times and The Great Dictator stand out. Duck Soup was a funny slapstick and absurd movie that mocks militarism and totalitarianism. It featured the Marx Brothers.

Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them. Shadows and Fog (film noir/1930s Europe)), Zelig (history) and Sleeper(future, futuristic scifi) were all smart and funny, reminicsent of his great stand-up schtick.

Thanks. I have the Great Dictator in my queue. I'm trying to find Duck Soup. I was watching Bill Moyers last week and he talked about how the movie pertains to our current times in a lot of ways. I had never heard of it before then. He played a few clips of the movie and it cracked me up. I'll check out the others that you mentioned.

Tetragrammaton
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I haven't seen it yet, in fact I never heard of it until a few days ago when I overheard someone mention it about the Golden Globes. Is it a satire or romantic comedy? Annie Hall is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen, a very high bar set there in that category of romantic comedy.

Well, it is about romance, but the term romantic comedy does not do it justice. It is a comedy about love, basically. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are great in it.