PDA

View Full Version : Taken

Blackocrates
01-13-2009, 06:00 AM
I just watched this movie and I was slightly disappointed. I gave it a 5/10. It doesn't hold up well to the Bond's and Bourne's of the world. But it is fun to watch Liam Neeson beating a$$ all around Paris. It is an entertaining movie so if you like thriller/action/CIA type movies you will enjoy this. The one thing I liked about Neeson's character was that he wasn't flashy. He was completely focused on his task and he didn't care who got in his way. He didn't use a lot of gadgets or anything, just a bunch of neck snapping and what have you. It's definitely not a movie where you learn something valueable at the end but it wasn't made for that.

mullet
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I saw this one a while back. It only slightly kept my interest. Liam kicking a$$ was entertaining but there wasn't much else to it.

uga3406
02-17-2009, 01:03 AM
i thought it was good...i like liam in this type of role...it is still making good money worth seeing imho

SpaceMountain16
02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I liked it a lot. Liam Neeson is just excellent, and i thought he did a tremendous job in this film playing a concerned father ready to do whatever it takes to get his daughter back. I loved the line he tells the kidnappers about how he will "hunt them down, and kill them" (the one you see in the commercials). I don't think you should be comparing this movie to Bond/Bourne considering those movies are pretty grand in production. This isn't Liam Neeson trying to save the world from terrorists or fight against the government and find out his identity. It's just him trying to get his daughter back from kidnappers, he happens to be a CIA agent, it is Bourne/Bond like in terms of action and fighting style but nothing else.

Predaphin
05-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought this was a great movie and gave it a 9/10....it was action packed and kept me on the edge of my seat

phinfan3411
05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I liked it, along similiar lines to "Man on Fire", but not as good.

GoonBoss
05-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I've heard nothing but good things in general. To tell you the truth, I thought the delivery on the "I will hunt you down, and, kill you" line was pretty bad and overacted....Which is not somthing I expect from Liam. I'll see it when it comes out on disk.

#1dolphinsfan
05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
i loved that movie

SpaceMountain16
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I've heard nothing but good things in general. To tell you the truth, I thought the delivery on the "I will hunt you down, and, kill you" line was pretty bad and overacted....Which is not somthing I expect from Liam. I'll see it when it comes out on disk.

I disagree, i think the way he delivers the line is what makes it so good. He doesn't say it with any real emotion, he says it like he's making a simple statement. Even though his daughter has been kidnapped and is in great danger, he maintains his calm enough to get the message through that he is going to do whatever it takes to PUNISH the *******s who took her.

GoonBoss
05-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I disagree, i think the way he delivers the line is what makes it so good. He doesn't say it with any real emotion, he says it like he's making a simple statement. Even though his daughter has been kidnapped and is in great danger, he maintains his calm enough to get the message through that he is going to do whatever it takes to PUNISH the *******s who took her.
I respect your take. I liked it all the way up to... "And I will kill you.". The breathless delivery on that portion really just made me go... :err:

He sort of lost me on that one.

When I get Really, really, angry....I deliver my "lines" alot like Neison does there. The boiling rage I have sometimes overflows. I really identified with the delivery up until the afore mentioned point. Honestly, the angrier I am, the more muted and, short spoken I get. I just thought the breathless....dramatic delivery was bad. Maybe when I see the movie it will make sense. I will withhold judgment until I see it.

Vaark
05-25-2009, 12:36 AM
It won't win any accolades or awards fersure.. but as a huge fan of the "payback" genre, ala the Dirty Harry's, Clint's spaghetti westerns and both Caine's and Gibson's Get Carter, I thought, it delivered nicely. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I found myself silently cheering as another skumbag hit the dust. Some movies stretch themselves out to run 110-120mins whether necessary or not to the plot line. This one I think ran about 90-95mins which was just right. More than that would have literally been "overkill." :chuckle:

I check all my movies out on movies.yahoo and generally agree with the average ratings of the thousands of home reviewers vs the handful of critics especially if they're at odds. "Taken" was a good example to me of how the critics are out of touch with their audiences.

As an aside, also recently saw "Slumdog Millionaire." I didn't expect much going in, was skeptical of the Hollywood hype and didn't think the story, setting or characters would hold my interest. Boy was I wrong: one of the finest, most spellbinding pics I've seen in a few years... like watching a Dickens novel unwind but with vivid, pulsating in-your-face cinematography. Three thumbs up on that one.