PDA

View Full Version : So you know fitness? But do you really???

MustangFinFan
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Alrite people, we got business to discuss..

Tis I, Sir Christoph (the military personal trainer and masseuse), am here to debunk (is that a word?) myths about fitness and nutrition. Time and time again, I continuously hear people talking about diets and exercise, and all I want to do is grab them and shake them like a salt shaker. (Dont get any ideas...)

-First of all, stop dieting! Diets dont work! Ok so low-fat and low-carb will cut fat down, but i promise you'll just gain it back after you stop, maybe not right away, but eventually. Some of these diets are so strict that you'll give up in days. Instead, what people need to do is make a lifestyle change. Eat HEALTHIER. That doesnt mean you can never go to Burger King or Applebees ever again. Sure you can go, just not everyday! My body fat percentage is lowering every week, and I eat Hooters and Chipotle almost every week. Actually **** it, EVERY WEEK. You know, you can go to restaurants and eat healthy...there are tons of items you can eat, and ask them to make it with no butter. Rather than eat fries, order a side of veggies or beans (heck, its healthier than fries!). But if not, go ahead and eat fries, just dont do it everyday! Limit it to once, or two at MOST per week. Lets say its monday and ur friend asks you to dinner, then tuesday ur asked to dinner, then thursday....(i sure hope u have enough money to pay ur bills after!)...thats ok, its not the end of the world. The best way to lose fat, is LONG TERM. You all dont want a short-term boyfriend/girlfriend do u? A short-term job? No, u want a LONG TERM bf/gf or job. Same with losing fat. Tell this to any fitness dude or dudette, and theyll get a heart attack. They all want to give you hardcore programs, but they dont seem to realize we have lives, and most of us simply cant do hardcore. And most of us dont need trainers or nutritionists, unless ur disabled or have like, diabetes?
-You dont want to lose weight, u want to lose FAT. There IS a difference. You can be 220 pounds with an 11% body fat percentage, or 220 pounds with a 24% body fat percentage. Unfortunately most of us dont own body fat calipers, but if u can get ur hands on some, use those instead of weighing yourself.

-Best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning. Never weigh yourself after you've eaten or showered, cuz ur weight will go up. I weighed myself at night once and then in the morning, and was 7 pounds lighter in the morning. Odd i know, but thats the way it goes. So the moment you wake up, walk around to wake urself up then weigh yourself.

-Grapefruit. This stuff is like a miracle. It lowers insulin, so u dont store fat as easily, and helps break down fat. Rumor has it that if u drink HALF a glass of grapefruit juice or eat half a grapefruit before every meal, ull lose 1 pound a week NO MATTER WHAT. It also is good for losing inches in the waist. And in case you didnt know, bananas are high in potassium, oranges of course are high in vitamin c, pomegranate are high in antioxidants, and some fruits u may never have heard of...Acai and Goji, are good for trimming down and have high antioxidants.

-Fruits and veggies. Gosh im tired of hearing personal trainers and nutritionists tell clients to stay away from certain fruits and veggies. Obviously u shouldnt sit there and eat bowls of it, but a cup of mixed fruit and a cup of mixed veggies is GOOD. There is no such thing as a BAD vegetable, or BAD fruit. Pineapples have high sugar amounts, but a cup of pineapples a day, is FINE. Fruits and veggies have loads of good stuff like fiber, antioxidants, vitamins that are great for the body.

-All-natural, "so sugar added"...these are the stuff u wanna buy. Lean meats like turkey, pork, and chicken breast are what u wanna buy. Lean cheeses like swiss, provolone, mozarrella and cottage are what u wanna buy. And whole grain, multi grain, and whole wheat are the breads u wanna buy. For instance every morning i have toast with peanut butter and fruit spread...the toast is whole grain, peanut butter is all natural, and fruit spread is all-natural. I also drink orange juice and grapefruit juice, both all-natural, 100% fruit juice. Try stuff like nantucket nectars drinks, theyre great.

-No, diet soda wont make u gain weight. Sure, theyre not so good for you because of sucralose and whatnot, but theyre better than a big coca cola (41g of sugar per can) if ur trying to trim down. If ur not, if ur one of those people who can eat anything and stay thin, then sure, go for coke instead of diet.

-Yes its true, eating 5-6 small meals a day is better. I myself, eat every 3-4 hours. Thats good for metabolism.

-Weight loss food like SmartOnes, HealthyChoice, South Beach products, etc....are fine. But they contain lots of sodium and chemicals that u dont need. You also dont need to order nutri system, that stuff u see on tv all the damn time. Just go to the store and buy ur own food....heck, ill go with you! I love getting out of this house lol. Ill go around the grocery store with you and you pick something out, and ill let u know if its good or not, and if its not, ill find something thats better. :)

-Lets say you go an entire week without eating ANYthing fattening, and eat completely healthy. Yes, its okay at the end of that week to take one day and snack out on what ud call "junk food". It actually will raise your metabolism because the body isnt used to all that sugar and fat, so the metabolism speeds up. And theres no such thing as "junk food"...ANYTHING is bad for u if u eat too much of it, and ANYTHING is fine if u eat small portions. For instance, go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac...cut it in half, and throw one half away and eat the other......thats perfectly fine. Go to the vending machine and get a snickers bar, cut it in half, throw the other half away. Thats perfectly fine.
-People say stay away from pastas, breads, rice, corn, potatoes, etc. (Starches). Look, go to Asia...all they eat is rice and pastas, and they stay thin. Same in Italy, all they eat are pastas and breads, and in Ireland, they eat tons of potatoes....they stay thin! You can live the rest of ur life thinking "pasta is bad, rice is bad". Ok, whats better to eat: rice or chocolate? Pasta or pizza? Bread or ice cream? Thank you! You can eat them, just dont overdo it! Same goes with everything, dont overdo it.

-Exercise. (The other important part to this, lol). Some people will tell you that losing weight or building muscle is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I disagree. I think its 65% nutrition, 35% exercise. If you run 5 miles a day and workout an hour, yes u can eat anything and trim down. I myself, workout my upper body for 2 hours, every other day. I try to eat healthy, but of course sometimes i eat bad stuff and thats okay, this is all LONG TERM. If January 1st, 2010 i weigh 25 pounds less than i do now, then im successful! Also, you dont need to do cardio for HOURS. I see some skinny people in the gym who are there for hours, and im like "dude, go home and live ur life". 30 minutes is all u need, unless of course ur like 400 pounds. Then again, a 400 pounder can probably only do 15 minutes. But when the gym closes at 7:30pm and its 7pm and only one skinny guy is left and hes still on the elliptical, it kinda pisses me off. GO HOME AND LIVE YOUR LIFE. See this is the problem with america, we care too much about our health that is backfires.

-You dont need to get on a mat and do abdominals for hours. The only way to lose fat, is cardio. Working your abdominals will TIGHTEN the abs, and yeah ull see your belly go down a little, but the fat will still be there.

-Hands down, the best cardio machine is an elliptical. If one person steps on an elliptical, and the other steps on a treadmill, another steps on a bike...the elliptical person will burn DOUBLE, if not TRIPLE the calories in 30 minutes.

-If u want to trim down, do lighter weights with high reps (15-20 reps). If u want to build muscle and get stronger, do heavier weights with lower reps (8-12). With all that said, i could use a buddy to workout with when I go to Oak Marr. Any takers?

-Muscle recovery. A lot of people ask me about how long it takes for muscles to heal after a workout. The answer is really, 2 days. Some people give it 4-5 days rest, and thats fine if u workout for 2 hours hardcore and want to build mass. But really, u dont need more than 2 days. It also depends on size...tall people have larger muscles so they need more rest, and we short people have shorter muscles, so we dont need as long. I workout every other day for 2 hours, and it helps me just fine. Id say anywhere between 2-4 days is perfect. I figure if u want to lose fat, do it every other day. SOMETIMES ill do it everyday, like if i workout today then go to cheesecake factory tonight and down a bunch of cheesecakes, u bet ur sweet *** (ladies) ill be in there tomorrow again. Now for youngins, like (15 year olds? 22 year olds?) heck...u all can workout everyday and be just fine. Im serious.

-All these supplements are scams. Protein is okay, but stuff like creatine and all them other muscle building or fat burning supplements: STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM. They do nothing but take your money and run and give u nothing back (like our government). Protein powders arent necessary either, but theyre OKAY. Its better to eat a nice meal with chicken and veggies, then a protein shake.

Basically, there are too many rules to all this diet and exercise stuff. Trainers will give you routines, health plans that are hard, and theyll try to get u to stick to it, but they dont realize you HAVE A LIFE...LIVE IT. You'll do that hard plan for awhile and give up, or ull lose 50 pounds and gain it back. Instead, change your lifestyle and eat BETTER, and do at least 30 minutes a day of cardio. Simple.

texasPHINSfan
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
i appreciate what you are trying to do, but there is a lot of bad information in your post. about your claims that supplements "do nothing" and are a "waste of money", you do realize there is actual scientific evidence proving otherwise, right? Same with dieting... and i'm a licensed nutritionist as well.

EDIT: after re-reading your post, i found that most of the information you gave is flawed in some way, some of it is just flat-out wrong. where are you getting this information from? If you are a certified personal trainer or a nutrionist, they teach you the opposite of some of what you say in the first classes....

EDIT2: i'm just going to go through your post and correct what i have time to in the interest of making sure good information gets out there.... i don't have time to parse through everything, but i'll touch on some of the most obvious/major ones to me. ;) - and not trying to knock you at all dude, i know you're trying to help; but bad information is worse than hurting someone's pride online, so i'm just trying to do what's right for the readers....

-First of all, stop dieting! Diets dont work! Ok so low-fat and low-carb will cut fat down, but i promise you'll just gain it back after you stop, maybe not right away, but eventually. Some of these diets are so strict that you'll give up in days. Instead, what people need to do is make a lifestyle change. Eat HEALTHIER.
well for starters, dieting does work, and it works well. it works so well that there are so many different types of diets one can participate in. In fact, your recommendation of "eating healthier" IS dieting. the word "diet" doesn't necessarily mean "low-carb" or "low-fat".... it means an altered nutritional intake program, it can be anything. Also you say "after you stop you'll gain it back" - well of course, it is an eating regimen, not surgery! ;) The hope is that you will become so accustomed to your diet that you'll come to enjoy eating those foods and it won't be a sacrifice but a regular thing for you. If that's the case, you never have to stop. :up:

And most of us dont need trainers or nutritionists, unless ur disabled or have like, diabetes?
really horrible line. your post alone proves that we all need nutritional education on some level. heck, even you did when you started doing whatever it is you do in a training capacity, right? There are fundamentals to nutrition, which is scientific, and those facts are static; this is knowledge that needs to be shared with people. We don't all need trainers, but if we're proactive enough to go to the gym & try to change our eating habits, it wouldn't hurt to learn whether what we read in a magazine or hear in the locker room is true or not. There are so many myths (you are right on that part) that are circulated by word of mouth by non-professionals, or people who are not properly trained. I would take anything i hear in the locker room with a grain of salt...

You dont want to lose weight, u want to lose FAT. There IS a difference. You can be 220 pounds with an 11% body fat percentage, or 220 pounds with a 24% body fat percentage.
too much of a gray area.... anyone who is 220 with 11% bodyfat probably won't be trying to lose weight, and if they are, they will have to sacrifice some muscle weight along with that fat. fat isn't an independent object in your body, it attaches to muscles for energy.

Best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning. Never weigh yourself after you've eaten or showered, cuz ur weight will go up. I weighed myself at night once and then in the morning, and was 7 pounds lighter in the morning.
easy, that's water weight.

Grapefruit. This stuff is like a miracle. It lowers insulin, so u dont store fat as easily, and helps break down fat. Rumor has it that if u drink HALF a glass of grapefruit juice or eat half a grapefruit before every meal, ull lose 1 pound a week NO MATTER WHAT. It also is good for losing inches in the waist.
not even going to touch that. grapefruit has some vitamins & minerals that serve positive specific functions, but it's not the only source of said nutrients, and it most certainly will not make you lose a pound a week no matter what. i hesitate to make absolute statements as they rarely hold true.

Fruits and veggies. Gosh im tired of hearing personal trainers and nutritionists tell clients to stay away from certain fruits and veggies. Obviously u shouldnt sit there and eat bowls of it, but a cup of mixed fruit and a cup of mixed veggies is GOOD. There is no such thing as a BAD vegetable, or BAD fruit. Pineapples have high sugar amounts, but a cup of pineapples a day, is FINE. Fruits and veggies have loads of good stuff like fiber, antioxidants, vitamins that are great for the body.
labeling fruits or vegetables as "bad" might be a little overboard. there are some vegetables that are higher in natural-forming sugars than in nutrional vitamins, which i agree with.

No, diet soda wont make u gain weight. Sure, theyre not so good for you because of sucralose and whatnot, but theyre better than a big coca cola (41g of sugar per can) if ur trying to trim down. If ur not, if ur one of those people who can eat anything and stay thin, then sure, go for coke instead of diet.
diet coke > regular coke, yes, but the reason it isn't good is because soda is a diuretic, which is the opposite of the water saturation process you want for your body. If you can, drink water instead of sodas. that's what i do :up:

Yes its true, eating 5-6 small meals a day is better. I myself, eat every 3-4 hours. Thats good for metabolism.
most true statement in your entire post. :)

Weight loss food like SmartOnes, HealthyChoice, South Beach products, etc....are fine. But they contain lots of sodium and chemicals that u dont need. You also dont need to order nutri system, that stuff u see on tv all the damn time. Just go to the store and buy ur own food....
to an extent i agree, however sometimes if you don't have time to prepare food or make a special "dieting" trip to the Whole Foods market, those health-conscious meals make a great stop-gap fix... just don't eat them regularly.

Lets say you go an entire week without eating ANYthing fattening, and eat completely healthy. Yes, its okay at the end of that week to take one day and snack out on what ud call "junk food". It actually will raise your metabolism because the body isnt used to all that sugar and fat, so the metabolism speeds up. And theres no such thing as "junk food"...ANYTHING is bad for u if u eat too much of it, and ANYTHING is fine if u eat small portions. For instance, go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac...cut it in half, and throw one half away and eat the other......thats perfectly fine. Go to the vending machine and get a snickers bar, cut it in half, throw the other half away. Thats perfectly fine.
first part - that isn't exactly true and contradicts an earlier comment. eating smaller portions more often bolster metabolism because it keeps it churning. If you don't eat unhealthy foods all week and then eat a lot at the end of the week, that doesn't raise metabolism; it just kicks it into gear working on that actual meal. your metabolism is just like a muscle, really; you need to continually train it to keep it proficient. as far as the "cut it in half" comments you made, i'm not sure i follow; are you insinuating that everyone eat smaller portions? where did you come up with just cutting it in half?

-Exercise. (The other important part to this, lol). Some people will tell you that losing weight or building muscle is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I disagree. I think its 65% nutrition, 35% exercise. If you run 5 miles a day and workout an hour, yes u can eat anything and trim down.
again i'm very curious as to where you get this information? especially the percentages. did you just arbitrarily pick numbers? I also don't think that working out everyday allows you to eat anything you want. i don't have figures in front of me, but i know people who DO workout everyday (cardio) and figure because they do so they can maintain their very unhealthy lifestyle. Well guess what? while the cardio helps, it doesn't justify poor eating habits. I would recommend a workout/cardio regimen in addition to a nutritious diet. :up:

Also, you dont need to do cardio for HOURS. I see some skinny people in the gym who are there for hours, and im like "dude, go home and live ur life". 30 minutes is all u need, unless of course ur like 400 pounds. Then again, a 400 pounder can probably only do 15 minutes. But when the gym closes at 7:30pm and its 7pm and only one skinny guy is left and hes still on the elliptical, it kinda pisses me off. GO HOME AND LIVE YOUR LIFE. See this is the problem with america, we care too much about our health that is backfires.
not everyone uses cardio equipment to lose weight. some people train for long-distance running, or even endurance for sports. I used to run over 10 miles everyday for my military readiness program, and i was about 6% bodyfat. It wasn't to lose weight. It is to maintain a high endurance level. I also disagree with your assessment about america "caring too much about our health"; if that was true, we wouldn't be the most overweight & out of shape country in the world. ;)

You dont need to get on a mat and do abdominals for hours. The only way to lose fat, is cardio. Working your abdominals will TIGHTEN the abs, and yeah ull see your belly go down a little, but the fat will still be there.
truth.

Hands down, the best cardio machine is an elliptical. If one person steps on an elliptical, and the other steps on a treadmill, another steps on a bike...the elliptical person will burn DOUBLE, if not TRIPLE the calories in 30 minutes.
incorrect. the treadmill and elliptical will produce similar calorie-burning results. the elliptical generally is considered better for you because it is not impacting, which is lesser wear & tear on the joints & knees. the bike i only recommend for warm-ups really, or those training for riding. Bike is also good if you need to keep your muscles warm between heavy workloads (NFL players do this on the sidelines). :up:

Muscle recovery. A lot of people ask me about how long it takes for muscles to heal after a workout. The answer is really, 2 days. Some people give it 4-5 days rest, and thats fine if u workout for 2 hours hardcore and want to build mass. But really, u dont need more than 2 days. It also depends on size...tall people have larger muscles so they need more rest, and we short people have shorter muscles, so we dont need as long.
while sometimes you are correct, again don't make absolutes... a punishing workout session on a muscle group that hasn't been worked in awhile can warrant a longer recovery period. If you workout regularly, recovery times are drastically shorter. If you are new to working out, recovery times will be longer as your muscles have not yet become accustomed to the routine. The recovery of muscles has nothing to do with your height; it has to do with your muscular conditioning.

I workout every other day for 2 hours, and it helps me just fine. Id say anywhere between 2-4 days is perfect. I figure if u want to lose fat, do it every other day. SOMETIMES ill do it everyday, like if i workout today then go to cheesecake factory tonight and down a bunch of cheesecakes, u bet ur sweet *** (ladies) ill be in there tomorrow again. Now for youngins, like (15 year olds? 22 year olds?) heck...u all can workout everyday and be just fine. Im serious.
you seem to forget that everybody is different, and what works for you may not work for many other people. just because you go to the gym & your metabolism is proficient enough to allow you eat at cheesecake factory afterward, does not mean that the rest of us can do that. I would recommend that if you are serious about weight-loss, to avoid eating at less-healthy restaurants altogether. If you must go to a restaurant that isn't known for it's healthy, try to stick to healthier items on the menu. I also recommend that if you are serious about weight-loss, that you at least do cardio every day. weight-lifting can be spaced out over time, but there are no ill-effects of doing cardio everyday.

All these supplements are scams. Protein is okay, but stuff like creatine and all them other muscle building or fat burning supplements: STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM. They do nothing but take your money and run and give u nothing back (like our government). Protein powders arent necessary either, but theyre OKAY. Its better to eat a nice meal with chicken and veggies, then a protein shake.
this is the comment you made that is more incorrect than anything in your entire post. there is an entire scientifically-backed industry that says you are wrong. the problem most people have is they forget that these are supplements, which means you supplement your workout regimen & diet with these items. These don't "take the place of", or work "in lieu of".... they supplement. Stuff like creatine, arginine, BCAA's, glutamine, protein, pre & post workout shakes... these all have been proven to work, and they DO work. i would not recommend them to the casual gym-goer, and wouldn't recommend them to the weight-loss crowd either. Now, something like a fat-burner pill used in conjunction with a strong diet & frequent cardio can definitely help someone lose weight as it promotes the elevated heart rate, which accelerates fat-burning. i can go into big detail here but i won't for the sake of brevity. All the stuff you listed (and i listed) here serve a specific purpose. they're not for everyone, but they are for those that can use them.

Basically, there are too many rules to all this diet and exercise stuff. Trainers will give you routines, health plans that are hard, and theyll try to get u to stick to it, but they dont realize you HAVE A LIFE...LIVE IT. You'll do that hard plan for awhile and give up, or ull lose 50 pounds and gain it back. Instead, change your lifestyle and eat BETTER, and do at least 30 minutes a day of cardio. Simple.
true nutritionists & trainers should help you mold a healthier lifestyle. i have NEVER known a trainer or nutrionist that shoves something down your throat that is short-term. they are supposed to question the client and determine what the goals & expectations are. then you develop a plan to help that person get there & stay there; it is part of the credo of the field.

again, not trying to be a ball-buster or call you out, but i have to correct some things you said. nothing malicious meant by my words, if anyone has any questions on what i say feel free to ask. :)

eger
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Not a big fan of personal trainers, most don't do anything but take advantage of people. You really don't need a personal trainer for more than a week or 2 if you don't know what you are doing. Most of this info is common knowledge.

I disagree about Creatine. Creatine is one of the best supplements for the money. I prefer CEE over Mono due to not holding water.

dolphinattick
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
thanks mustang, i agree most of the stuff you said it's absolutly true, i would say number one eat rigth most of the time and exercise a litle and have fun that's what life is all about, most of all try not to get stressed out to much that can kill you lol.

Bumpus
01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Interesting advice.

My personal health plan goes something like this: eat whatever the hell you want ... then exercise if you feel like it. Will this make you a bit of a lard-***? Yeah, but I'm happy so it works for me.

eger
01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
diet coke > regular coke, yes, but the reason it isn't good is because soda is a diuretic, which is the opposite of the water saturation process you want for your body. If you can, drink water instead of sodas. that's what i do http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif.

Soda contains a lot of sodium, it makes you hold water. Caffeine yes, is a diuretic.

Diet Soda increases your appetite.

Water Supresses apetite, and also assists your body in metabolizing stored fat. Water also rids the body of waste and toxins..

Drink water instead, that in itself is a diuretic. The more water you drink the less water you hold, and the less water you drink the more your body holds.

If you are serious about dieting cut the soda out.

fishfanfromjerz
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
personally.....i love creatine.....

you also forgot to say that you shouldnt eat much after 8pm....unless of course you are going to work at midnight.....

SpurzN703
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Interesting advice.

My personal health plan goes something like this: eat whatever the hell you want ... then exercise if you feel like it. Will this make you a bit of a lard-***? Yeah, but I'm happy so it works for me.

Attaboy. Leave the six-packs and 3% bodyfat to the actors of the world ;)

CedarPhin
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Creatine has always worked wonders for me.

Nappy Roots
01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
personally.....i love creatine.....

you also forgot to say that you shouldnt eat much after 8pm....unless of course you are going to work at midnight.....

eating late is a myth. you can eat whenever you want. problem is some people eat dinner, then eat again later that night. thats going to make you fat.

tylerdolphin
01-15-2009, 09:11 PM
eating late is a myth. you can eat whenever you want. problem is some people eat dinner, then eat again later that night. thats going to make you fat.
Yep. A calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it.

eger
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

I eat before I go to bed, cottage cheese or Casein protein, it's digests slow ensuring your body is fed throughout the night. The whole eating before bed myth is untrue as long as you eat the right thing.

I'll even wake up at 3am and have a protein shake.

Bumpus
01-17-2009, 10:01 AM
If I wake up hungry at 3am I'm reaching for a cookie.

[... loosens belt a notch & laughs ...]

SpurzN703
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Soda contains a lot of sodium, it makes you hold water. Caffeine yes, is a diuretic.

Diet Soda increases your appetite.

Water Supresses apetite, and also assists your body in metabolizing stored fat. Water also rids the body of waste and toxins..

Drink water instead, that in itself is a diuretic. The more water you drink the less water you hold, and the less water you drink the more your body holds.

If you are serious about dieting cut the soda out.

Diet soda or soda in general may make someone hungrier but that doesn't mean the person will eat more b/c of it. And even if they did, if they ate a fruit cup or a banana b/c they were hungry from the diet soda, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

People assume that when soda leads to being hungry that the person eats a steak raw with bacon and mayonnaise on it

JCPHIN_PHAN
01-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Hey TexasPHINfan,

Since this thread is on fitness, i have been working out for 6-7 years now. During these years i have worked out 3-4 times a week for 45min to and hour at a time. My routine is arms/lower, chest/triceps, shoulders/lower, back/arms. I am in the Coast guard so my routine is not set in stone. some weeks i am gone for 4-5 days. And like all military we have our 1 and 4 day duty standing. So having a set routine is pretty hard for me.

With that said i have weighed 162-166 pounds for close to 3 years now. I am 6ft tall as and toned with no size basically. The funny thing about me is that if i lift up my sleeve to show my arm, it looks like i havent ever worked out. But then when i flex i got a baseball bulging out. It always suprises people and they always say "i didnt even know you worked out!"

That always gets me and just makes me want to just quit. What do i need to do to gain some size? I cant afford to eat alot or have supplements. My extra money is going to my heat bills... Really what i want to do is gain a good 20pounds. Can you help?

SoJoMike
01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey TexasPHINfan,

That always gets me and just makes me want to just quit. What do i need to do to gain some size? I cant afford to eat alot or have supplements. My extra money is going to my heat bills... Really what i want to do is gain a good 20pounds. Can you help?

I think a lot has to do w/ your body type. I am not an expert, but I took on a training partner in my younger years who was really tall and skinny, and had trouble building a "hulk" physique, which I somewhat had. It turns out he had never done power exercises like Clean & Press, Deadlifts, Bent Over Rows, heavy Bench Presses in addition to more isolation exercises, like the "old school" bodybuilders. This was the foundation of my weight training program. We also rested very short (for those kinds of exercises) in between, no longer than it takes to change weights (I go / you go). We also indulged in one of those all-in-one protein mixes, like the MRPs they have now and drank an Ultra Fuel after each workout. Well, his body really changed training with me doing those exercises, eating like that. Turned his physique into more of a "hulk" look -- bigger traps, forearms, etc... I am not an expert, on all the nutrition and physiology, but my approach has always been, eat good quality, low fat/sugar protein and carbs, take a few days off when you feel like you are overtraining, and go heavy and fast. Just be careful to really learn how to do those exercises with impeccable form, otherwise you can hurt yourself.

eger
01-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey TexasPHINfan,

Since this thread is on fitness, i have been working out for 6-7 years now. During these years i have worked out 3-4 times a week for 45min to and hour at a time. My routine is arms/lower, chest/triceps, shoulders/lower, back/arms. I am in the Coast guard so my routine is not set in stone. some weeks i am gone for 4-5 days. And like all military we have our 1 and 4 day duty standing. So having a set routine is pretty hard for me.

With that said i have weighed 162-166 pounds for close to 3 years now. I am 6ft tall as and toned with no size basically. The funny thing about me is that if i lift up my sleeve to show my arm, it looks like i havent ever worked out. But then when i flex i got a baseball bulging out. It always suprises people and they always say "i didnt even know you worked out!"

To gain size you need to eat more. Switch your routine up, if you do not see changes you are probably doing something wrong or not eating enough.

BobDole
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Alrite people, we got business to discuss..

Tis I, Sir Christoph (the military personal trainer and masseuse), am here to debunk (is that a word?) myths about fitness and nutrition. Time and time again, I continuously hear people talking about diets and exercise, and all I want to do is grab them and shake them like a salt shaker. (Dont get any ideas...)

-First of all, stop dieting! Diets dont work! Ok so low-fat and low-carb will cut fat down, but i promise you'll just gain it back after you stop, maybe not right away, but eventually. Some of these diets are so strict that you'll give up in days. Instead, what people need to do is make a lifestyle change. Eat HEALTHIER. That doesnt mean you can never go to Burger King or Applebees ever again. Sure you can go, just not everyday! My body fat percentage is lowering every week, and I eat Hooters and Chipotle almost every week. Actually **** it, EVERY WEEK. You know, you can go to restaurants and eat healthy...there are tons of items you can eat, and ask them to make it with no butter. Rather than eat fries, order a side of veggies or beans (heck, its healthier than fries!). But if not, go ahead and eat fries, just dont do it everyday! Limit it to once, or two at MOST per week. Lets say its monday and ur friend asks you to dinner, then tuesday ur asked to dinner, then thursday....(i sure hope u have enough money to pay ur bills after!)...thats ok, its not the end of the world. The best way to lose fat, is LONG TERM. You all dont want a short-term boyfriend/girlfriend do u? A short-term job? No, u want a LONG TERM bf/gf or job. Same with losing fat. Tell this to any fitness dude or dudette, and theyll get a heart attack. They all want to give you hardcore programs, but they dont seem to realize we have lives, and most of us simply cant do hardcore. And most of us dont need trainers or nutritionists, unless ur disabled or have like, diabetes?
-You dont want to lose weight, u want to lose FAT. There IS a difference. You can be 220 pounds with an 11% body fat percentage, or 220 pounds with a 24% body fat percentage. Unfortunately most of us dont own body fat calipers, but if u can get ur hands on some, use those instead of weighing yourself.

-Best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning. Never weigh yourself after you've eaten or showered, cuz ur weight will go up. I weighed myself at night once and then in the morning, and was 7 pounds lighter in the morning. Odd i know, but thats the way it goes. So the moment you wake up, walk around to wake urself up then weigh yourself.

-Grapefruit. This stuff is like a miracle. It lowers insulin, so u dont store fat as easily, and helps break down fat. Rumor has it that if u drink HALF a glass of grapefruit juice or eat half a grapefruit before every meal, ull lose 1 pound a week NO MATTER WHAT. It also is good for losing inches in the waist. And in case you didnt know, bananas are high in potassium, oranges of course are high in vitamin c, pomegranate are high in antioxidants, and some fruits u may never have heard of...Acai and Goji, are good for trimming down and have high antioxidants.

-Fruits and veggies. Gosh im tired of hearing personal trainers and nutritionists tell clients to stay away from certain fruits and veggies. Obviously u shouldnt sit there and eat bowls of it, but a cup of mixed fruit and a cup of mixed veggies is GOOD. There is no such thing as a BAD vegetable, or BAD fruit. Pineapples have high sugar amounts, but a cup of pineapples a day, is FINE. Fruits and veggies have loads of good stuff like fiber, antioxidants, vitamins that are great for the body.

-All-natural, "so sugar added"...these are the stuff u wanna buy. Lean meats like turkey, pork, and chicken breast are what u wanna buy. Lean cheeses like swiss, provolone, mozarrella and cottage are what u wanna buy. And whole grain, multi grain, and whole wheat are the breads u wanna buy. For instance every morning i have toast with peanut butter and fruit spread...the toast is whole grain, peanut butter is all natural, and fruit spread is all-natural. I also drink orange juice and grapefruit juice, both all-natural, 100% fruit juice. Try stuff like nantucket nectars drinks, theyre great.

-No, diet soda wont make u gain weight. Sure, theyre not so good for you because of sucralose and whatnot, but theyre better than a big coca cola (41g of sugar per can) if ur trying to trim down. If ur not, if ur one of those people who can eat anything and stay thin, then sure, go for coke instead of diet.

-Yes its true, eating 5-6 small meals a day is better. I myself, eat every 3-4 hours. Thats good for metabolism.

-Weight loss food like SmartOnes, HealthyChoice, South Beach products, etc....are fine. But they contain lots of sodium and chemicals that u dont need. You also dont need to order nutri system, that stuff u see on tv all the damn time. Just go to the store and buy ur own food....heck, ill go with you! I love getting out of this house lol. Ill go around the grocery store with you and you pick something out, and ill let u know if its good or not, and if its not, ill find something thats better. :)

-Lets say you go an entire week without eating ANYthing fattening, and eat completely healthy. Yes, its okay at the end of that week to take one day and snack out on what ud call "junk food". It actually will raise your metabolism because the body isnt used to all that sugar and fat, so the metabolism speeds up. And theres no such thing as "junk food"...ANYTHING is bad for u if u eat too much of it, and ANYTHING is fine if u eat small portions. For instance, go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac...cut it in half, and throw one half away and eat the other......thats perfectly fine. Go to the vending machine and get a snickers bar, cut it in half, throw the other half away. Thats perfectly fine.
-People say stay away from pastas, breads, rice, corn, potatoes, etc. (Starches). Look, go to Asia...all they eat is rice and pastas, and they stay thin. Same in Italy, all they eat are pastas and breads, and in Ireland, they eat tons of potatoes....they stay thin! You can live the rest of ur life thinking "pasta is bad, rice is bad". Ok, whats better to eat: rice or chocolate? Pasta or pizza? Bread or ice cream? Thank you! You can eat them, just dont overdo it! Same goes with everything, dont overdo it.

-Exercise. (The other important part to this, lol). Some people will tell you that losing weight or building muscle is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I disagree. I think its 65% nutrition, 35% exercise. If you run 5 miles a day and workout an hour, yes u can eat anything and trim down. I myself, workout my upper body for 2 hours, every other day. I try to eat healthy, but of course sometimes i eat bad stuff and thats okay, this is all LONG TERM. If January 1st, 2010 i weigh 25 pounds less than i do now, then im successful! Also, you dont need to do cardio for HOURS. I see some skinny people in the gym who are there for hours, and im like "dude, go home and live ur life". 30 minutes is all u need, unless of course ur like 400 pounds. Then again, a 400 pounder can probably only do 15 minutes. But when the gym closes at 7:30pm and its 7pm and only one skinny guy is left and hes still on the elliptical, it kinda pisses me off. GO HOME AND LIVE YOUR LIFE. See this is the problem with america, we care too much about our health that is backfires.

-You dont need to get on a mat and do abdominals for hours. The only way to lose fat, is cardio. Working your abdominals will TIGHTEN the abs, and yeah ull see your belly go down a little, but the fat will still be there.

-Hands down, the best cardio machine is an elliptical. If one person steps on an elliptical, and the other steps on a treadmill, another steps on a bike...the elliptical person will burn DOUBLE, if not TRIPLE the calories in 30 minutes.

-If u want to trim down, do lighter weights with high reps (15-20 reps). If u want to build muscle and get stronger, do heavier weights with lower reps (8-12). With all that said, i could use a buddy to workout with when I go to Oak Marr. Any takers?

-Muscle recovery. A lot of people ask me about how long it takes for muscles to heal after a workout. The answer is really, 2 days. Some people give it 4-5 days rest, and thats fine if u workout for 2 hours hardcore and want to build mass. But really, u dont need more than 2 days. It also depends on size...tall people have larger muscles so they need more rest, and we short people have shorter muscles, so we dont need as long. I workout every other day for 2 hours, and it helps me just fine. Id say anywhere between 2-4 days is perfect. I figure if u want to lose fat, do it every other day. SOMETIMES ill do it everyday, like if i workout today then go to cheesecake factory tonight and down a bunch of cheesecakes, u bet ur sweet *** (ladies) ill be in there tomorrow again. Now for youngins, like (15 year olds? 22 year olds?) heck...u all can workout everyday and be just fine. Im serious.

-All these supplements are scams. Protein is okay, but stuff like creatine and all them other muscle building or fat burning supplements: STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM. They do nothing but take your money and run and give u nothing back (like our government). Protein powders arent necessary either, but theyre OKAY. Its better to eat a nice meal with chicken and veggies, then a protein shake.

i didn't read this b/c i'm still mad you never gave us the results after you tested. :tongue:

Spray Mucus
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey TexasPHINfan,

First off if you're keeping the same routine and same reps your body will adapt to it quickly. play with your reps (go 6 reps per set one week, then 8 the next, then 10 the next... then do a pyramid week where you go 12,10,8,6 each excersize) and sets (3 sets one week per excersize, then 4 sets, then 5 sets... then start all over again), keep your excersises to compounds if you can.

like mentioned above chances are your simply not eating enough, you need to eat to gain weight! at 6ft and 162lbs you are more then likely a Ectomorph, which means you need to eat a lot more then a meso or endo would to gain weight, and since ur in the military my guess is your extremly active so you have a high level of activity and your body type against you so that's another reason why gaining weight might be hard for you.

I'm gonna give you and ANYBODY interested in cutting some major guess work a gift. These diets and workout programs are God sent and free to anybody who can open a PDF file. I've been working out for 3 solid years on my own, I never had a problem putting on muscle but always failed to get below 15% body fat till I discovered these guys methods to body building. now I'm a lean 180 10% and trimming down to 7% by summer God willing!

http://www.scivationbooks.com/

PHINATIC13
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna give you and ANYBODY interested in cutting some major guess work a major gift. These diets are workout programs are god sent and free to anybody who can open a PDF file. I've been working out for 3 solid years on my own, I never had a problem putting on muscle but always failed to get below 15% body fat till I discovered these guys medoths to body building. now I'm a lean 180 10% and trimming down to 7% by summer God willing!

http://www.scivationbooks.com/

..damn!...really?...got any pics bro?.............................................:waving:

Spray Mucus
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
..damn!...really?...got any pics bro?.............................................:waving:

no, but you can come over and do a photo shoot with me if you like.

GoonBoss
02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Really? You are a military massuse? What MOS is that? When I was in the Army there was no such MOS as "Personal Trainer" or "Massuse". What's your MOS title?

eger
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
6'1 230 10% Bf here, been BB'ing for 7 years.

Spray Mucus
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
6'1 230 10% Bf here, been BB'ing for 7 years.

Phinatic13 is gonna want pictures.

PHINATIC13
02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
no, but you can come over and do a photo shoot with me if you like.

...Pm sent.....:hi5:

binky
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
And I thought it was all about the 12 oz curls.

The Samurai
02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Damn Texas Phin Fan, 10 miles everyday running? I did 5-6 miles about 3-4 times a week and I thought I was doing something. :-)