PDA

View Full Version : Favorite (auto)biography or memoir?

JTBRLZ
01-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Lately I've been obsessed with biographies. In particular, I've read a bunch of coaches biograhies. I've read Dungy's, Lou Holtz's, Jimmy Johnson's, and I find them all very interesting, so I just picked up Bill Walsh's and Bobby Knight's. I'm trying to broaden my horizons though, so I just bought Einstein's biography and I also just finished the Glass Castle which was recommened to me by my mom and I loved that as well. What are some other good ones I should check out?

CedarPhin
01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort

Might be the most outrageous thing I've ever read. I'm surprised he even remembers half of what he writes about.

BobDole
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
johnny cash has a pretty solid autobiography.

tylerdolphin
01-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I read Lance Armstrong's. It was pretty good.

ih8brady
01-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Ty Cobb's was decent especially if you like historic baseball. If you like historical politics, Calvin Coolidge and Frederick Douglass' autobiographies are classics. Two men of different backgrounds but both of upstanding character who changed the way America was in their generation.

I'd say my favorite is the Diary of John Ransom. It is the writings of then-Union soldier John Ransom in the American Civil War. He was captured in Confederate territory and shipped to the infamous camp at Andersonville. He details the brutal heat or cold, cruelness of the guards and warden Henry Wirz,poss the first war criminal ever, the thuggish Union soldiers who attacked their dying peers, disease, insects, lack of food, etc. He writes with purpose and lack of sensationalism. A very exciting yet moving book.

mullet
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
My dad just gave me Terry Bradshaw's book. Haven't had a chance to read it because I'm finishing up the Motley Crue bio, but he said it was quite good.

CaliSDFin
01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I enjoy reading biographies as well...the Lance Armstrong was good if you know someone with cancer because he goes in depth about his cancer and overcoming it.

Montley Cru (I think it is called The Dirt) is pretty good, Jenna Jameson is by far the best one I have ever read, Ron Jeremy's is decent.

Bill Clintons is beyond boring and I could never finish it.

If you want a funny book to read that is no where near as inspirational as the people above. Check out Tucker Max "I hope they serve beer in hell" it is pretty funny and it a 3rd grade reading level.

JTBRLZ
01-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I enjoy reading biographies as well...the Lance Armstrong was good if you know someone with cancer because he goes in depth about his cancer and overcoming it.

Montley Cru (I think it is called The Dirt) is pretty good, Jenna Jameson is by far the best one I have ever read, Ron Jeremy's is decent.

Bill Clintons is beyond boring and I could never finish it.

If you want a funny book to read that is no where near as inspirational as the people above. Check out Tucker Max "I hope they serve beer in hell" it is pretty funny and it a 3rd grade reading level.

Hahah, I've picked up this book so many times in bookstores and started reading it and promised myself I would buy it eventually because it was hilarious. I read the one chapter on bjs, haha he has some hilarious stories.

Locke
01-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Running with scissors is a pretty interesting memoir. They made it into a movie, but the actual book is much more interesting...

Ima_Cowboy
01-24-2009, 09:04 AM
if u like bios, u should like sports documentaries... John Feinstein is an amazing write - he wrote A Civil War, March Madness, and others.

Bumpus
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi is an excellent read. It's a chilling look at the Manson family written by the prosecuting attorney.

CedarPhin
01-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Nixonland was a great book.

JTBRLZ
01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
if u like bios, u should like sports documentaries... John Feinstein is an amazing write - he wrote A Civil War, March Madness, and others.

I love sports documentaries, probably my favorite types of books to read. I've read Feinstein's Next Man Up. My favorite one is probably The Blind Side by Michael Lewis the author of Moneyball, which was also very interesting even for a non-baseball fan. Have you read Boys Will Be Boys about the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson? I really enjoyed reading that as well, some crazy stuff in there.

CaliSDFin
01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Hahah, I've picked up this book so many times in bookstores and started reading it and promised myself I would buy it eventually because it was hilarious. I read the one chapter on bjs, haha he has some hilarious stories.

Check out his website..A majority of his stories are posted on there. This guy made millions just telling drunk stories

http://tuckermax.com/

Perfect23
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi is an excellent read. It's a chilling look at the Manson family written by the prosecuting attorney.

I thougt of reading that.

Perfect23
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.

ih8brady
01-24-2009, 04:51 PM
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.

As a critique of the Industrial Revolution and economic systems? yes, but how so as a memoir?

WVDolphan
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Lately I've been obsessed with biographies. In particular, I've read a bunch of coaches biograhies. I've read Dungy's, Lou Holtz's, Jimmy Johnson's, and I find them all very interesting, so I just picked up Bill Walsh's and Bobby Knight's. I'm trying to broaden my horizons though, so I just bought Einstein's biography and I also just finished the Glass Castle which was recommened to me by my mom and I loved that as well. What are some other good ones I should check out?

Like him or not, the Saban book is a great read.

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I always enjoyed reading about Military leaders. My two favorites were Patton and Marshall. They were two on the opposite sides of the scale, but, both critical in thier own way to winning WWII. Patton was the hammer, and, the only American General the Germans respected. Marshall is the architect of the logistical machine that ultimately crushed the Germans and JApaneese.

CedarPhin
01-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Andrew Jackson's wasn't bad when I read it.

Neither was Bill Walsh's