PDA

View Full Version : Profesional Athlete College Major...thoughts?

Alien
01-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up a question out there to have a good topic to discuss. A little while back with the Plaxico incident and numerous incidents with Pac-man(and sports in general) my dad has brought up the thought of a Professional Athlete College Major. This would obviously not be available at every University but for the UM, USC, FLORIDA, OSU, and of course schools with great basketball, baseball,and maybe even hockey programs.

The conversation with him was kind of short but there is obviously the risk of injury that goes a long with sports but at the same time no body is guranteed a job no matter what degree they have. This would be probably be a program comprised of gym/work out classes, nutrition, athletic training, business, psychology, public speaking etc.... things in general that will help athletes maintain their bodies, manage their business and money, and their media relations. I would hope that there would be no exceptions to athletes and their gen-ed studies if this were to come true.

I am not proposing it or supporting it because I am skeptical about it mostly because it is so hard to become a professional athlete but at the same time there are guys who seem to be pro-sport destined even in high school.What would you guys think of something like this? Is it a good idea? What could make it work? Thanks.

Bumpus
01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Kinda sounds like what they used to prepare their stellar student-athletes for at the now defunct CAPE (Cleveland Academy of Physical Education)
:lol:

Locke
01-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I think its an excellent idea. Only problem I see with it is the number of people who would choose to major in it as opposed to the number of people who actually become professional athletes. Most college students have to declare their major by the end of the first year I believe, maybe its the end of their 2nd. How many college athletes know they have what it takes to make it professionally? It would be a risky choice of study for sure...

ih8brady
01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I admire the honesty of the idea, but a suggestion: Add literacy to the list. I'm sick of players like Marshawn Lynch or Quincy Carter drooling and mashing their mouths in an attempt to form a complete sentence. Nobody is expecting them to read Tolstoy, but maybe the teleprompter if that's not too much?

Alien
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I admire the honesty of the idea, but a suggestion: Add literacy to the list. I'm sick of players like Marshawn Lynch or Quincy Carter drooling and mashing their mouths in an attempt to form a complete sentence. Nobody is expecting them to read Tolstoy, but maybe the teleprompter if that's not too much?

I'm sick of not even being able to understand these athletes in these interviews! Properly pronounce your words!! Yes I understand saying some slang just from culture but some of these guys (especially Marshawn) need to go back to third grade english!:shakeno:

tylerdolphin
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Florio on PFT brought this up a few weeks ago. He made a good point in that you can be taught stuff in that major that applies to coaching HS and stuff plus how to manage your money. That way its useful even if you nevermake it pro