PDA

View Full Version : lets talk #25 pic

ROADRUNNER
01-19-2009, 11:13 AM
there will be a ilb, olb, nt, cb, fs, ss. that will fall to us with #25 pick.
what ever happens in the f/a, and who ever we get, if any?
one of the above will still be there. {i mean 1 of the better ones.}
love to pick nt at #25.

lets not talk about c/g/t/ just defence ,

Kdawg954
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Raji - top 20
Moore - Very possible with Mays in the draft, but now he is IMO top 20
Maulauga - Top 20
Laurantitis - Probably Available, but not a 3-4 guy IMO . . . better as a 4-3 MLB

The defensive guys that should be available:

1. Clint Sintim - OLB - Perfect Fit . . . could be gone
2. DJ Moore - CB - Should be best CB prospect Available . . . could be gone
3. Alphonso Smith - CB (small but extremely talented)
4. Brian Cushing - OLB (not that big of a fan, but he probably is an option)
5. Tyson Jackson - DE (more likely a prospect in round 2 if he fell, don't know if we take him in round 1, tho it wouldn't be a reach either)
6. Lou Delmas - FS (he is shooting up the boards, I wouldn't take him in round 1, but definitely in round 2)
7. Macho Harris - CB (Don't really like Macho for us, but he is another guy . . I think he is a 2nd rounder)
8. Michael Johnson - OLB/DE (I can't get a good read on him, I don't like him because he didn't make plays in college, he was very hyped but production was blah . . I have seen him top 10 I have seen him mocked 2nd round . . . Calais Campbell comes to mind when I see Johnson . . . highly rated before the season, but could fall due to lack of production)

Those are 8 guys to watch for so far . . . there are more, but that is a start.

ROADRUNNER
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Raji - top 20
Moore - Very possible with Mays in the draft, but now he is IMO top 20
Maulauga - Top 20
Laurantitis - Probably Available, but not a 3-4 guy IMO . . . better as a 4-3 MLB

The defensive guys that should be available:

1. Clint Sintim - OLB - Perfect Fit . . . could be gone
2. DJ Moore - CB - Should be best CB prospect Available . . . could be gone
3. Alphonso Smith - CB (small but extremely talented)
4. Brian Cushing - OLB (not that big of a fan, but he probably is an option)
5. Tyson Jackson - DE (more likely a prospect in round 2 if he fell, don't know if we take him in round 1, tho it wouldn't be a reach either)
6. Lou Delmas - FS (he is shooting up the boards, I wouldn't take him in round 1, but definitely in round 2)
7. Macho Harris - CB (Don't really like Macho for us, but he is another guy . . I think he is a 2nd rounder)
8. Michael Johnson - OLB/DE (I can't get a good read on him, I don't like him because he didn't make plays in college, he was very hyped but production was blah . . I have seen him top 10 I have seen him mocked 2nd round . . . Calais Campbell comes to mind when I see Johnson . . . highly rated before the season, but could fall due to lack of production)

Those are 8 guys to watch for so far . . . there are more, but that is a start.

but if one would slip down to #25 who would you pick

Kdawg954
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
After watching 2 active NT's with Hampton and Ngata yesterday . . . I would have to say Raji. He is a very active NT, more than a plugger . . . and we need a NT.

Next would be William Moore, he should be a great FS in the NFL and god knows we could use a good FS. It looks like we whiffed on Jason Allen, scary to draft one early like that again.

SnakeoilSeller
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I think that for an OLB to be drafted in round, he will really have to wow the Fins. Especially now with the signing of Wake. We signed lots of linebackers last year, I think they will draft at least one, but probably not with #25.
I think it is going to be O-Line, unless Raji falls, which I don't think he makes it past #15. We had the most injury problems at guard, that would make sense. Duke Robinson from Oklahoma. You can put him on the left side, and now have to Monsters on the left for the next 10 years. Then you have Smiley (if healthy), which is his natural position, and Donald Thomas (if healty) battling it out for the start at RG. It provides more depth in the position that may have given them the most problem. I would not be shocked to see the Fins first 3 picks go O-Line & D-Line.

Dogbone34
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
This year, I would expect us to keep every option on the table. NE will make a good selection 2 spots ahead of us, I don't want it to be our #1 target. I think it will come down to Clint Sintim / Duke Robinson / Alex Mack / DJ Moore.

CedarPhin
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd go with Alex Mack or Sintim.

54dolfan9923
01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Alex Mack! Period.

SamIam
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Alex Mack! Period.

Nasty.. Nasty.. Nasty
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xCkToEnJ8

finfan54
01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I am on the Draft Alex Mack and make R and R come alive bandwagon.

Valandui
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
William Moore please!

shanem40
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Michael johnson!!!!!!!!!!

Roman529
01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I also like Alex Mack. I don't think Raji will still be around but that would be my #2 option,,,,I also like Boston College's Brace if he is around with our second #2 pick.....it just depends who drops to us, but there should be plenty of guys we can take who can start right away. Same thing in the 2nd round....lots of talent this year.

BARF
01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
i say we get the best playmaking fs or cb on the board we are missing playmakers back there

crazyfin
01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I think we should pick CB or O-line

Chainsaw
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
After watching 2 active NT's with Hampton and Ngata yesterday . . . I would have to say Raji. He is a very active NT, more than a plugger . . . and we need a NT.

Next would be William Moore, he should be a great FS in the NFL and god knows we could use a good FS. It looks like we whiffed on Jason Allen, scary to draft one early like that again.

I agree. If Raji is there, You HAVE to get him. If not, you have to look at what IS there and get best available. Could we get lucky enough to see Maclin there?

hooshoops
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
i'm leaning alex mack as well. liked what i saw 2day from him.

MrEd
01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
there will be a ilb, olb, nt, cb, fs, ss. that will fall to us with #25 pick.
what ever happens in the f/a, and who ever we get, if any?
one of the above will still be there. {i mean 1 of the better ones.}
love to pick nt at #25.

lets not talk about c/g/t/ just defence ,

I think that Parcells will be looking for either FS William Moore, NT Ron Brace, or MLB James Lauranaitis at pick #25. Not sure if Parcells can risk losing Brace by passing on him at pick #25, so I would go that route. Not to mention that Moore should be gone by then anyways...

Chainsaw
01-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Just curious. Did Mack go against any of the top NGs? Or did he mainly only play against the soft defenses out west? It's tough to know what an OL will be like unless he has regularly gone against pro size DL like in the SEC.

jim1
01-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I think that Parcells will be looking for either FS William Moore, NT Ron Brace, or MLB James Lauranaitis at pick #25. Not sure if Parcells can risk losing Brace by passing on him at pick #25, so I would go that route. Not to mention that Moore should be gone by then anyways...

No way that Brace goes #25. I'd like to get him, though. Classic NT run stuffing plugger. Mack, Unger, Harvin, Nicks, Moore. The injury history with Moore bothers me, though.

I was thinking of the WR position, especially Desean Jackson v Ted Ginn. Jackson is about the same size as Ginn, about as fast, but what separates him from Ginn is quickness and aggression. And yes, Mcnabb's strong arm does help. We need an alpha male type WR- that would be Nicks. Harvin is off the charts in terms of speed, quickness and strength. 5-11, 200, 4.25-4.30 40, benches 405, and I don't see anyone quicker- he did that damage in the championship game with a fractured ankle. I'll mention this again- Bob Griese called him a top 5 talent. And the injuriy issue should be minimized if he moves full time to WR. When guys like Griese and Phil Simms talk about players, I listen.

Kdawg954
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Harvin would be more of mold of Patrick Cobbs in this offense . . . a tailback who does most of his damage as a WR. He would get the occasional carry.

If we are looking WR, he is not the option for us . . . and yea he is a top 5 talent in this draft . . . that is no question in my mind about that, which is why i don't see him leaving the top 20 . . . which is good for us, because if I saw him at 25 I would get awful tempted.

skipp2myloo13
01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Just curious. Did Mack go against any of the top NGs? Or did he mainly only play against the soft defenses out west? It's tough to know what an OL will be like unless he has regularly gone against pro size DL like in the SEC.

news form the senior bowl, mack was the only c that could contain bj. raji

jim1
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM

For some reason when I go to NFLDC I can't get any of the Senior Bowl info- any thoughts on where I can get it? Thx.

Kdawg954
01-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Mack contained him early, but Raji went off on him pretty bad later on . . . but then again, that is BJ Raji . . . the type of NT that Mack "could" struggle with in the NFL.

On a side note . . . Mack and Unger looked REAL bad at Guard.

Mack looked MILES better than Unger at Center, who looked like he struggled badly. I only saw a few clips . . . but all the people can stop putting Unger on their mocks for Miami, he just doens't fit . . . Ron Brace embarrassed him several times.

Mack and Wood were the 2 best looking Centers yesterday . . . we should see Caldwell and Luigs more today. Caldwell and Luigs will have their hands full on Saturday (the game is Saturday I believe) with Raji, Hood, Brace, English and those guys up north.

ckparrothead
01-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Alex Mack is a good player but I believe he would be a misguided choice, unless the pickings get real slim by pick #25.

jim1
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Alex Mack is a good player but I believe he would be a misguided choice, unless the pickings get real slim by pick #25.

I know that you've been big on Hakeem Nicks for quite some time- how would you feel about him at #25? Any favorites for you so far in rds 1 and 2?

ckparrothead
01-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I know that you've been big on Hakeem Nicks for quite some time- how would you feel about him at #25? Any favorites for you so far in rds 1 and 2?

I've recently become uncomfortable with the idea of drafting a WR in the first round, but Hakeem Nicks is so good I'd still be pumped about it.

I just don't see giving up on Samson Satele when he spent half the season with crap to his right side and the other half of the season with crap to either side of him. The Center engages in combo activities such a high percentage of the time, and when people try and tell me that they didn't see him combo block as much...it's sort of like, yeah, that's because they were asking him to pick up way more slack than he could handle as a second year player, due to the guards sucking.

Valandui
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I've recently become uncomfortable with the idea of drafting a WR in the first round, but Hakeem Nicks is so good I'd still be pumped about it.

I just don't see giving up on Samson Satele when he spent half the season with crap to his right side and the other half of the season with crap to either side of him. The Center engages in combo activities such a high percentage of the time, and when people try and tell me that they didn't see him combo block as much...it's sort of like, yeah, that's because they were asking him to pick up way more slack than he could handle as a second year player, due to the guards sucking.
I completely agree, and I think that may have been a big part of Carey's problem as well.

jim1
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

I understand your point, but I saw Satele get pushed backwards and fail to make a dent for the RBs far too often. If Donald Thomas meets expectations next year, that will be a huge plus and upgrade. But I'd rather have a Center in there who can hold his own, and in turn make the young Guard look better, not rely upon a better Guard for help. For some reason I can't get into NFLDC for the Senior Bowl updates, but apparently Mack is clearly the head of the class so far, outpacing Unger by a pretty good margin. We need big, functional strength guys in there to compliment Long, and hopefully Carey. Alex Mack, Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson come to mind. Johnson pulls pretty well for a guy going 370-380.

JT-forpresident
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
IMO, BJ Raji is the first player on their board ... vontae davis, rashad johnson, alphonso smith, clint sintim are all there also... but i think clint will go in the 20s, vontae also ... Raji will be gone between 15 and 20 ... so that's why i'm predicting Rashad, but all those guys are definitely on the dolphins' radar and i'd be pleased with any of them , obivously there are others ... as for alex mack, i'm thinking along the lines of CK and i think he'd be a "last resort" pick... If jamon meredith is available there could be a surprise... (watch the vernon carey situation closely) i was already high on him and CK mentionned an interesting fact in another thread, pointing out that our new Oline coach recruited him to south carolina...

Canadi-Phin
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think Raji will last til 15-20. The display he's putting on is pretty awesome. He fits every defense. Penetrating DTs with the body to hold up against the run don't fall off trees. He's top ten now in my opinion. The Raiders could use him, so could the Jags and the Pack is going to a 3-4 with Dom there, though they do have a big young NT on their team. Even SF may look at him. Would love to have him but I can't see anyway he drops unless he gets hurt sometime between now and the draft.

Brace to me could climb some draft boards, he has been getting great push so far against everyone who is blocking him. He may not have the first step Raji does but he will command a double team or he will destroy the pocket. I don't see us taking him with our 1st but with all the teams moving to a 3-4, (Denver, GB) they may not want to lose out on him. This depends on what they think of Solai's development obviously. I would like him at 2a though. BPA in the first. Stating to like the idea of Duke Robinson.

ROADRUNNER
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't think Raji will last til 15-20. The display he's putting on is pretty awesome. He fits every defense. Penetrating DTs with the body to hold up against the run don't fall off trees. He's top ten now in my opinion. The Raiders could use him, so could the Jags and the Pack is going to a 3-4 with Dom there, though they do have a big young NT on their team. Even SF may look at him. Would love to have him but I can't see anyway he drops unless he gets hurt sometime between now and the draft.

Brace to me could climb some draft boards, he has been getting great push so far against everyone who is blocking him. He may not have the first step Raji does but he will command a double team or he will destroy the pocket. I don't see us taking him with our 1st but with all the teams moving to a 3-4, (Denver, GB) they may not want to lose out on him. This depends on what they think of Solai's development obviously. I would like him at 2a though. BPA in the first. Stating to like the idea of Duke Robinson.

1st nt
2nd lb
3rd o/l.

ROADRUNNER
01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
if still there 1st pick brace
if still there 2nd pick clint sintim/james laurinaitis
if still there 3rd pick robinson
get c in f/a.

ckparrothead
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I understand your point, but I saw Satele get pushed backwards and fail to make a dent for the RBs far too often. If Donald Thomas meets expectations next year, that will be a huge plus and upgrade. But I'd rather have a Center in there who can hold his own, and in turn make the young Guard look better, not rely upon a better Guard for help. For some reason I can't get into NFLDC for the Senior Bowl updates, but apparently Mack is clearly the head of the class so far, outpacing Unger by a pretty good margin. We need big, functional strength guys in there to compliment Long, and hopefully Carey. Alex Mack, Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson come to mind. Johnson pulls pretty well for a guy going 370-380.

Nobody is asking for Samson Satele to be bailed out by pro bowlers. But there's a big difference between that, and asking a 2nd year player to deal with having waiver wire quality players (both of them young, to boot) to either side of him. Samson's a young pup himself.

He'll be fine. I'm sure of it.

ckparrothead
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I like Ron Brace but a year in which you're talking about a Ron Brace in the first round is a year where the defensive tackle class is really thin and lacking stars.

Canadi-Phin
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I like Ron Brace but a year in which you're talking about a Ron Brace in the first round is a year where the defensive tackle class is really thin and lacking stars.

I don't disagree but it can also be a year that its a neccesity to a few teams that push the DTs up. I don't know the class of NTs coming through the college ranks as well as I would like to but not many really big bodies that can hold there own like Raji and Brace. Not many 330 guys out there. I still don't think he goes in the first and I definitely don't think we will go there either but he may be gone by our wash pick.

Chainsaw
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Mack contained him early, but Raji went off on him pretty bad later on . . . but then again, that is BJ Raji . . . the type of NT that Mack "could" struggle with in the NFL.

So, that sounds a lot like Satele and every other center in the NFL.

Basically, if you have a NG that DOESN'T command double teams, you need a new NG.

Basically, with Satele and Thomas OR Smiley, they can plow ANY NG out of the middle if that is where they want to go.

Having 3 other solid OL like Long, Carey, the other guard plus a TE and FB freed up to take on LBs and DEs will give Miami plenty of good blockers to open up holes. The key is getting the NG out of there. And unless that NG sucks, he will require a good double team.

Basically, if you struggle at guard you will struggle in the running game REGARDLESS of what you have talent wise at center and tackle.

And Miami struggled some at the guard position mostly due to injuries last year.

WelcomeBack
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Nobody is asking for Samson Satele to be bailed out by pro bowlers. But there's a big difference between that, and asking a 2nd year player to deal with having waiver wire quality players (both of them young, to boot) to either side of him. Samson's a young pup himself.

He'll be fine. I'm sure of it.

Glad I'm not the only one that's not giving up on him.

He had a solid first year. Something's got to give to have that kind of drop off.

jim1
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that's not giving up on him.

He had a solid first year. Something's got to give to have that kind of drop off.

The question is, what gave? Starting Guards out doesn't justify his poor play. Maybe it was an injury.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 02:52 AM
I don't disagree but it can also be a year that its a neccesity to a few teams that push the DTs up. I don't know the class of NTs coming through the college ranks as well as I would like to but not many really big bodies that can hold there own like Raji and Brace. Not many 330 guys out there. I still don't think he goes in the first and I definitely don't think we will go there either but he may be gone by our wash pick.

Gotta be more than just about the size. Guy has to be compellingly quick and strong for that size. Is Ron Brace really quick and athletic for his size? Again, I LIKE Brace, and definitely had him as a guy that was being consistently underrated...but first round? It's a mean DT draft when Brace is sneaking into the first round.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 03:11 AM
If I had to pick out some guys that are underrated that I like...

Pernell Phillips, of Central State. He's 6'0" and 324 pounds...probably more like 330+. This is a guy that Boomer got tipped off on, he had 9 NFL Scouts scouting him at Phillips' Conference Championship Game. He's supposed to be ultra quick for his size, gets low, great punch, stacks and sheds, gets off the line.

Darryl Richard and Myron Prior were at the Shrine Game and I watched them closely. They both passed muster. Prior was able to make several plays while being blocked by a single man, (notably, Travis Bright, who struggled all game). Richard was blocked primarily by a much better Louis Vasquez, but I was impressed with his strength, hand use, leverage against double teams, and particularly the way he fired extremely low and got off the ball really quick in short yardage. He's no pass rusher, for sure. But he's also an extremely bright player, nominated for all kinds of scholar-athlete awards at Georgia Tech, a hard worker, and you just know he's going to be a smart player at the next level (which goes a long way).

Antonio Dixon at The U seems like an underrated big man, former scout Tom Marino has talked about him some and I think as the process goes on he could start to move up the charts.