PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins spotted with Louis Delmas at Senior Bowl

VAMinnow
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Under Scott Wright's Senior Bowl reports, he does a section called "Player/Team Observations." I take it this section list the players and teams that he sees talking with one another. Not sure that this is 100% accurate but take out of it what you want.

Under Tuesday's section, it has Louis Delmas under the Dolphins.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Observations/Tuesday.php

Anyone have info on this guy?

X-Pacolypse
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Sounds good to me.

TedSlimmJr
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
#2 ranked FS in the draft IMO behind Rashad Johnson...Delmas is the better tackler in open space...

Delmas is better than the overhyped William Moore...

4 year starter in the MAC....recorded 111 tackles, 3 PBU's, and 4 INT's his senior year at Western Michigan...

VAMinnow
01-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Here's Wright's Scouting Report on the guy:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/Louis-Delmas.php

Safety, Western Michigan

From Today's Practice:

Western Michigan S Louis Delmas really impressed me today. He played very physical and had some pop, seemed to transition well and even had one of the big hits of the day on Ramses Barden. Delmas also appeared to be one of the team leaders, barking out instructions to his defensive teammates from the deep safety spot. I heard he got beat deep a couple of times but I didn't see it.

dolphinator86
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
He seems pretty good...a ball hawking kinda guy could have an impact i would mind grabbing him but that depends on our offseason we will have to see

MrEd
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow! Good to see that Parcells is eyeing to upgrade FS. That seems to be more crucial than CB, since Goodman seems to have arrived and Allen, Allen, and Jones have good skills as well.

It seems that most of our secondary troubles seemed to be more connected to the FS switch to Renaldo Hill (meaning that the FS play is crucial).....and also the pass rush play. When we lack a pass rush, our secondary struggles.

So adding Cam Wake to Porter, another FS to compete with Hill, and maybe another stout NT....we are on our way....

CrazyCarl
01-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Wow! Good to see that Parcells is eyeing to upgrade FS.

I always see people saying this, but why isn't Ireland mentioned more when talking about bringing in players etc.?

Its understandable that we all want to assume Parcells is behind all of the moves we make, but I am pretty sure that its Ireland who is shouldering most of this load. If I remember correctly Parcells said he wasn't going to be making all of the decision and all that, he was going to leave that to Ireland.

Im not trying to bash your post or anything, and while I think Parcells has input on what were doing I think ultimately it has been Ireland behind all of this.

BARF
01-20-2009, 11:37 PM
what is the hieght and weight on delmas

MrEd
01-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I always see people saying this, but why isn't Ireland mentioned more when talking about bringing in players etc.?

Its understandable that we all want to assume Parcells is behind all of the moves we make, but I am pretty sure that its Ireland who is shouldering most of this load. If I remember correctly Parcells said he wasn't going to be making all of the decision and all that, he was going to leave that to Ireland.

Im not trying to bash your post or anything, and while I think Parcells has input on what were doing I think ultimately it has been Ireland behind all of this.

Because Parcells has the FINAL SAY SO, that's why...:unsure:

...although, I agree with you that Ireland seems very smart and the most at work here being the GM. But Parcells has the final word on ALL FOOTBALL DECISIONS and OPERATIONS being the "head" of all football operations...

MrEd
01-20-2009, 11:57 PM
what is the hieght and weight on delmas

5' 11" and 196 LBS. So pretty much a 6 footer and 200 pounder...

MAdolfan
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
They said he has a motor, and is all over the place so far at the senior bowl. He is def a rising pick. He will most likely still be there in the 2nd round.

He is great tackler and has good instincts as well

hooshoops
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
exact size of rashod johnson who's more the ballhawk this secondary needs. i do like delmas though.

JT-forpresident
01-21-2009, 12:07 AM
#2 ranked FS in the draft IMO behind Rashad Johnson...Delmas is the better tackler in open space...

4 year starter in the MAC....recorded 111 tackles, 3 PBU's, and 4 INT's his senior year at Western Michigan...

moore is doing just what i thought he would: nothing

he's not the FS we're looking for AT ALL

Rashad johnson has been my guy for the last month but delmas is starting to shake my world a little bit...

MAdolfan
01-21-2009, 12:10 AM
they said more got beat on like 3 deep balls today and has no vertical movement..... Delmas is rising very very fast

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
the knock i've heard on delmas is can get beat over the top. i guess commits to much. if you're having problems with that against the likes of conference foes western michigan plays each week how you think your gonna handle it on the nfl level???

rashod johnson played in the sec. he's seen everything. just saying...

again, i do like delmas but i think r johnson is the more heady solid overall player. better fit for our defense

moore is way overrated and next year taylor mayes is gonna be shown to be as well.

SR 7
01-21-2009, 01:38 AM

Also a very hard hitter and he was team captain for 2 yrs in a row which is what this FO said they look for.

Johnson my fav S is just the leader of that team to a degree as a whole. hes a smart *** and maybe the smartest in the nation IQ wise for teh game.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
I like Sherrod Martin of Troy. David Bruton, too. I've always loved Otis Wiley. Keith Fitzhugh really impressed me at the Shrine Game (and practices) and I wonder if he couldn't play some FS. Louis Delmas would work for me, though.

When it comes to Rashad Johnson, I wonder if he's really all that athletic. I wonder if he's not just another Renaldo Hill that has been made to look better than he is by Nick Saban.

SR 7
01-21-2009, 03:57 AM
I like Sherrod Martin of Troy. David Bruton, too. I've always loved Otis Wiley. Keith Fitzhugh really impressed me at the Shrine Game (and practices) and I wonder if he couldn't play some FS. Louis Delmas would work for me, though.

When it comes to Rashad Johnson, I wonder if he's really all that athletic. I wonder if he's not just another Renaldo Hill that has been made to look better than he is by Nick Saban.

Johnson is a better player when it ocmes to playing hte ball then neone in our secondary although Allen (J) showed signs of his tennessee days as a ball hawk in the sense of playing the ball for a couple weeks until he went MIA again. After his "broken" hand he disapeared, neone know why? was it b/c of the injury or hte so called back in the dog house problem again cuz i dont rem seeing him on the field AT ALLL except for 2 times on ST (punt)

Hey 2 questions

1) I always wondered what ur avatar is? is it a nintendo game or something ? looks like a poor mans megaman or something haha.

2) who is that guy u have in ur signature?

Kdawg954
01-21-2009, 05:21 AM

That is my feeling on Johnson also . . . but I will say this, he probably is the best ball defender out of all of the well known safeties . . . great ball skills and center fielder and not comparing him to Ed Reed . . .but Reed wasn't the most athletic guy (more than Johnson obviously) but his instincts and ball skills were too much to be ignored, but I think a guy like Delmas and his athleticism is a better, more well rounded safety. Can cover and play the run, good enough size . . . I'm really liking Lou Delmas in the second round.

Rashad Johnson wouldn't hold up consistently in run support, Delmas should be solid against the run.

tech
01-21-2009, 10:25 AM

why tip your hand to other teams about who u like to the media and piss off players on your team at the same time. I think its good not to talk about what players you want till your ready to make a offer to them

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
i'd go along with delmas may have more upside than rashod johnson but i formed my opinion on r johnson watching a lot of his games. he's a qb in the secondary imo. very smart very heady.

i can't say i've seen much delmas game tape but i'd like to.

ChambersWI
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Johnson is a better player when it ocmes to playing hte ball then neone in our secondary although Allen (J) showed signs of his tennessee days as a ball hawk in the sense of playing the ball for a couple weeks until he went MIA again. After his "broken" hand he disapeared, neone know why? was it b/c of the injury or hte so called back in the dog house problem again cuz i dont rem seeing him on the field AT ALLL except for 2 times on ST (punt)

Hey 2 questions

1) I always wondered what ur avatar is? is it a nintendo game or something ? looks like a poor mans megaman or something haha.

his avatar is Strongbad. Look up Homestar Runner.

As for Delmas, he's a guy I've really started to like since I started to watch the MAC. Really good player.

the knock i've heard on delmas is can get beat over the top. i guess commits to much. if you're having problems with that against the likes of conference foes western michigan plays each week how you think your gonna handle it on the nfl level???

The MAC has actually had some very good offenses in the time Delmas has been there. Central Michigan is really good, Ball State was awesome this year, Ohio had some good years, NIU was very good with Garrett Wolfe, Miami had some good years, and Akron was pretty good as well his freshmen season.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Hey 2 questions

Jason Allen disappeared after the NE game because they realized that having him in the secondary was becoming an exploitable weakness. The problem is that he can only play on the outside, and other teams know it. Andre Goodman is only good on the outside as well. What this means is that whenever the opposing offense puts anyone with any kind of skill in the slot, they know he's going to draw Will Allen...leaving Jason Allen exposed to go up against whoever else you want him to. The Patriots did this to perfection, drawing Will Allen into the slot against Wes Welker because Will was the only player that could handle slot CB duties, and then getting Randy Moss matched up on Jason Allen. That was bad, and it cost us the New England game.

After that, they decided they needed more versatility in the corners. When they go to 3-CB defenses, they needed to have at least 2 CBs on the field that could play either the slot or the outside, giving them the flexibility to get their best corners matched on best receivers and preventing matchup opportunities for the offense. First they tried Joey Thomas, but then they settled on Nathan Jones.

1. The avatar is Strong Bad. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

2. The signature is Ozone from Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. Jason Taylor looks remarkably like him, which is hilarious to me given Jason's recent Dancing ventures.

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Jason Allen disappeared after the NE game because they realized that having him in the secondary was becoming an exploitable weakness. The problem is that he can only play on the outside, and other teams know it. Andre Goodman is only good on the outside as well. What this means is that whenever the opposing offense puts anyone with any kind of skill in the slot, they know he's going to draw Will Allen...leaving Jason Allen exposed to go up against whoever else you want him to. The Patriots did this to perfection, drawing Will Allen into the slot against Wes Welker because Will was the only player that could handle slot CB duties, and then getting Randy Moss matched up on Jason Allen. That was bad, and it cost us the New England game.

After that, they decided they needed more versatility in the corners. When they go to 3-CB defenses, they needed to have at least 2 CBs on the field that could play either the slot or the outside, giving them the flexibility to get their best corners matched on best receivers and preventing matchup opportunities for the offense. First they tried Joey Thomas, but then they settled on Nathan Jones.

2. The signature is Ozone from Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. Jason Taylor looks remarkably like him, which is hilarious to me given Jason's recent Dancing ventures.

excellent points

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
his avatar is Strongbad. Look up Homestar Runner.

As for Delmas, he's a guy I've really started to like since I started to watch the MAC. Really good player.

The MAC has actually had some very good offenses in the time Delmas has been there. Central Michigan is really good, Ball State was awesome this year, Ohio had some good years, NIU was very good with Garrett Wolfe, Miami had some good years, and Akron was pretty good as well his freshmen season.

good points. how many of those teams play pro style offenses or possess pro talent level like the sec???

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
i can't stress enough how good those points are on jason allen and the cbs.

:up:

phinfan33
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Johnson is a better player when it comes to playing the ball than anyone in our secondary although Allen (J) showed signs of his tennessee days as a ball hawk in the sense of playing the ball for a couple weeks until he went MIA again. After his "broken" hand he disappeared, anyone know why? was it b/c of the injury or the so called back in the dog house problem again cuz i don't rem seeing him on the field AT ALLL except for 2 times on ST (punt)

Hey 2 questions

there...fixed...

ChambersWI
01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
good points. how many of those teams play pro style offenses or possess pro talent level like the sec???

Not a lot of pro offenses (though with some of the new coaches coming in that will change), but the conference has been sending some decent pro prospects in recent years.

SR 7
01-21-2009, 02:26 PM

gotcha. thanks.

how is Otis' game? haven't seen him play.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
gotcha. thanks.

how is Otis' game? haven't seen him play.

Very smart player, very versatile. Was asked to play out of position most of this year as a nickel CB and still did well, still All Conference First Team voted by the coaches. He reads things really well, IMO and can get a jump on the ball. Can make things happen after he catches it, too. Good size, I believe he's a good tackler but if someone were to tell me they see him tackling sloppy a lot...I don't have the conviction to argue the point until I see some more.

Valandui
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM

I agree with you to an extent on Allen, but we did also put our most inexperienced CB one on one with Randy Moss for the whole game. No one outside of Nnamdi or maybe Champ Bailey could handle that the whole game. I will be interested to see how he does now with a full year of CB under his belt.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I agree with you to an extent on Allen, but we did also put our most inexperienced CB one on one with Randy Moss for the whole game. No one outside of Nnamdi or maybe Champ Bailey could handle that the whole game. I will be interested to see how he does now with a full year of CB under his belt.

The thing about that is...I don't believe that was a conscious decision. I think they were just forced into that by Jason Allen's lack of versatility. It made it easy for the Patriots to get Moss matched up on him, and the Dolphins defense couldn't do anything about it. Seriously, what are they going to do? Put him in the slot to avoid him going up against Randy Moss? He can't play the slot. He can barely play the outside, he's still so new to everything.

The Patriots found a weakness and exploited it, and we took him off the field from that game forward in order to prevent another team doing the same.

NRA
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
as far as needing a S over a CB....

i just love when i hear people say "look at goodman, his play improved
so we dont need a cb"......

goodmans play DID improve, by leaps and bounds! he can now stay with the medicore wr's in the leauge instead of being TORCHED by them or the bottom
feeder wr's.

you want to know if CB is a need? look at our cb's against the randy moss's, the
andre johnson's, the larry fitzgeralds, the anquon boldin's, etc....

these are the guys we need to defend. we need corners who can COMPETE with
the real wr's in the leauge, not the run of the mill, so-so types.

we have lacked in talent for so log that when ANY player on this team makes a good play he is now AWSOME and is not expendable. will allen, yerimiah bell and goodman
all fit this scenerio. the plays people always refer to in there arguement to keep them around are plays that the REAL talented db's make every game!! not just once
in a while.

our WR's and DB'S are lacking almost to a laughable degree. our starters are DECENT
back ups at best. i really like ginn and bess, but they are NOT , and NEVER WILL BE
dominant, 1400 yd a year, take over game wr's.

and THAT is what we need. it is what we are lacking. ginn and bess will make EXELLENT compliments to that kind of a wr.

but i am GLAD to see that the finz are listing DB'S as a need, because ours
dont stand a chance of ever covering the elite wr's in the game.

dahlmarino
01-21-2009, 06:28 PM

I'll try not to play Homer too much on this one, but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents on Otis Wiley, since he plays for the college program I follow.

He seems to be pretty intelligent in coverage, though he does have his lapses. He's a solid tackler and he plays with a lot of heart. The Spartan D didn't have a lot of great athletes this season, but he always stood out in the secondary. I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he could bring out the best in the rest of the secondary, a la Renaldo Hill, but without the physical setbacks that come with Hill.

lbmclean_sj
01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

can never have enough CB's, but our pass-rush was a bigger culprit

Phinatic8u
01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Well lets sign Aso and draft Moore 1st Delmas 2a and Someone else 2b
Aso - no introduction neede
Moore - learning behind aso WOW :beer1:
Delmas - immediate upgrade over hill

WHOOOO! but it all starts with Aso chances r no Aso :(

I am Bane
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Goodman came up with huge plays, huge deflections when needed.... and he shut down some top WR's throughout the season as well. i was extremely impressed with him this year, and loved how he locked down often.... i think he improved, and came through for us immensely and definitely hope he is resigned!!!

goodmans play DID improve, by leaps and bounds! he can now stay with the medicore wr's in the leauge instead of being TORCHED by them or the bottom
feeder wr's.

you want to know if CB is a need? look at our cb's against the randy moss's, the
andre johnson's, the larry fitzgeralds, the anquon boldin's, etc....

these are the guys we need to defend. we need corners who can COMPETE with
the real wr's in the leauge, not the run of the mill, so-so types.

we have lacked in talent for so log that when ANY player on this team makes a good play he is now AWSOME and is not expendable. will allen, yerimiah bell and goodman
all fit this scenerio. the plays people always refer to in there arguement to keep them around are plays that the REAL talented db's make every game!! not just once
in a while.

our WR's and DB'S are lacking almost to a laughable degree. our starters are DECENT
back ups at best. i really like ginn and bess, but they are NOT , and NEVER WILL BE
dominant, 1400 yd a year, take over game wr's.

and THAT is what we need. it is what we are lacking. ginn and bess will make EXELLENT compliments to that kind of a wr.

but i am GLAD to see that the finz are listing DB'S as a need, because ours
dont stand a chance of ever covering the elite wr's in the game.

Chainsaw
01-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Goodman came up with huge plays, huge deflections when needed.... and he shut down some top WR's throughout the season as well. i was extremely impressed with him this year, and loved how he locked down often.... i think he improved, and came through for us immensely and definitely hope he is resigned!!!

I agree. One game in particular was against Denver. He was on Marshall the whole game and gave up squat.

And our pass defense was a top 10 pass defense after he was inserted.

Goodman is as close to a shut down guy as we have had since Surtain and Madison.:up:

Oh, those were the days!!! :rolleyes:

ZachThomas76
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I agree. One game in particular was against Denver. He was on Marshall the whole game and gave up squat.

And our pass defense was a top 10 pass defense after he was inserted.

Goodman is as close to a shut down guy as we have had since Surtain and Madison.:up:

Oh, those were the days!!! :rolleyes:

I know Goodman played better late in the year, but "shutdown"? What is with the love for freakin Andre Goodman lately? The guy is average at best IMO.

Chainsaw
01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't call goodman a shutdown corner just yet. But, he is pretty good and the best we have had in a while. And he might just get better if he can stay healthy.

ssnjamerson
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
WOW did I just read that right. The Overhyped WIlliam Moore. You can take this to the bank. WILLIAM MOORE is to Louis Delmas as Dan Marino is to Ryan Leaf. I cant believe Delmas is over rated. he plays pee wee comp compared to the big 12. And a Safety other than Moore in the 1st round would be ludacris. Terrible.

Geforce
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
WOW did I just read that right. The Overhyped WIlliam Moore. You can take this to the bank. WILLIAM MOORE is to Louis Delmas as Dan Marino is to Ryan Leaf. I cant believe Delmas is over rated. he plays pee wee comp compared to the big 12. And a Safety other than Moore in the 1st round would be ludacris. Terrible.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes2:

Canadi-Phin
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM

I think he was talking about DJ Moore the CB

skipp2myloo13
01-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Well lets sign Aso and draft Moore 1st Delmas 2a and Someone else 2b
Aso - no introduction neede
Moore - learning behind aso WOW :beer1:
Delmas - immediate upgrade over hill

WHOOOO! but it all starts with Aso chances r no Aso :(

So many things wrong with that proposal. thinking is always the most important, remember that b4 posting. hah