PDA

View Full Version : Does god have children on other planets?

WeVie
01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
This is a question I have wondered forever. Of course there is no way to ever know for sure, unless you meet someone in heaven.

I think there is no way that we are the only planet out there with intelligent life. I'm not saying that little green men have came here on space ships but as big and never ending as the universe is, there has to be someone else out there.

Do you think we are god's only experiment?

Does god have a brother or sister that rules other universes? I know he says he is the only one but maybe he means the only one for our planet.

By the way, I am not making fun or being silly. It's something I have always wondered.

Tetragrammaton
01-21-2009, 12:22 AM
I can't really respond to your religious questions, but there are no other "universes". The term universe literally means "everything that physically exists."

Statistically, we have to assume there is life elsewhere. There are equations that determine how many planets are close enough to a star to sustain carbon based life, but I don't know the specifics.

Dolphan7
01-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Well...there are two things that say no to the question.

1. God himself has given us no indications that there is anything else but him and us.

2. Science has yet to find any evidence of any life outside our atmosphere. And it doesn't look promising that there will ever be anything found.

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
of course, life is amazing

Dolphan7
01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
For anyone to say that life exists outside our earth, one would have to determine how life happened on earth first in order to have a relatively good shot at explaining life elsewhere.

Several religions point to a creator or god. Science has attempted to explain it without the aid of a supernatural god.

So far science hasn't even come close to explaining how life started here, let alone how the universe began. Many of the most prominent secular scientists just don't know how life began here, although there are many theories - none of which make any scientific sense.

Without having known our own origins on this planet, scientifically, it is foolish to think that science has figured out life outside our planet.

ih8brady
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
For anyone to say that life exists outside our earth, one would have to determine how life happened on earth first in order to have a relatively good shot at explaining life elsewhere.

Several religions point to a creator or god. Science has attempted to explain it without the aid of a supernatural god.

So far science hasn't even come close to explaining how life started here, let alone how the universe began. Many of the most prominent secular scientists just don't know how life began here, although there are many theories - none of which make any scientific sense.

Without having known our own origins on this planet, scientifically, it is foolish to think that science has figured out life outside our planet.

The two are unrelated. Knowing that extra-terrestrial life exists does not require determination of said life's origin. Just like one can easily know gravity's existance without determining the origin of gravity.

WeVie
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM

1. God himself has given us no indications that there is anything else but him and us.

2. Science has yet to find any evidence of any life outside our atmosphere. And it doesn't look promising that there will ever be anything found.

Maybe God does not feel the need to tell us of any other life forms out there but I see your point about the brother or sister. Maybe we are one of his many experiments.

There is no way for science to proof that there is life forms on a planet 1000 light years away and no way for us to ever be able to travel that far or for them to travel that far either. Science can't proof God is there either but that does not mean he isn't.

LouPhinFan
01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Statistically, we have to assume there is life elsewhere. There are equations that determine how many planets are close enough to a star to sustain carbon based life, but I don't know the specifics.

That would be the Drake Equation and it was formulated decades ago. We know so much more now about suitable enviornments for life. While the Drake Equation is extremely optimistic, it is unrealistic. Today's estimates at possible intelligent life outside our solar system are far smaller than Drake and Sagan's of 30 years ago.

LouPhinFan
01-21-2009, 11:32 PM

The Bible doesn't say one way or the other. So in matters such as this I leave it up to science, just like you said. But the answer to the question is hardly "no". I think "incomplete" or "not known" is the correct answer (if you want to call it an answer) at this point.

We simply don't know and the Bible is silent about it.

Dolphan7
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
The two are unrelated. Knowing that extra-terrestrial life exists does not require determination of said life's origin. Just like one can easily know gravity's existance without determining the origin of gravity.Not so fast.

Have you ever read an article on deep space research and the search for life on other planets? They always end with something like this, "This research will help us understand how life began on earth...." or something to that effect.

Since science has pretty much drawn a blank as to how life began here, and have exhausted all the leads, they are now focusing on outer space to hopefully gain some hints as to how life begins elsewhere, in hopes that it will help them use that info to decipher how life began on earth.

They are very much related.

Dolphan7
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
The Bible doesn't say one way or the other. So in matters such as this I leave it up to science, just like you said. But the answer to the question is hardly "no". I think "incomplete" or "not known" is the correct answer (if you want to call it an answer) at this point.

We simply don't know and the Bible is silent about it.I see the point you are making, but we need to be very careful about speculations that are not specifically addressed in the bible. All we can do is know and understand what the bible "does" say on certain subjects. The bible only refers to God and us, nothing or anyone else.

I used to speculate that God is certainly capable of creating life elsewhere and wouldn't be surprised if life does indeed exist elsewhere, but it simply goes against everything we know about God from the bible, and raises up more questions about redemption and Jesus and things like that. Plus it is eerily close to what Mormonism teaches about populating other planets with your own spirit children.

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd like to think there are many different identical copies of ourselves on different planets like the movie The One with Jet Li. That way as each of them die, I will absorb their power and become The One. My Kung Fu will not be matched by another.

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Not so fast.

Have you ever read an article on deep space research and the search for life on other planets? They always end with something like this, "This research will help us understand how life began on earth...." or something to that effect.

Since science has pretty much drawn a blank as to how life began here, and have exhausted all the leads, they are now focusing on outer space to hopefully gain some hints as to how life begins elsewhere, in hopes that it will help them use that info to decipher how life began on earth.

With that line of thinking we should be able to conclude that all unsolved murders are ,"god did it."

Plus the fact that if the Christian God did really make everything, what purpose would this god have a few thousand years ago to talk about his other creations on other planets. Plus there is so much out there. An amazing amount out there and here on this tiny planet there is life in amazing places where their shouldn't be and the water bear

ih8brady
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Not so fast.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

We know that life exists on earth but without having comprehensive knowledge of origin. So, we could know if life exists on other planets or moons without knowing of their origin.

You can know a phenomenon exists without knowing everything about it or everything about its origin.

LouPhinFan
01-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I see the point you are making, but we need to be very careful about speculations that are not specifically addressed in the bible. All we can do is know and understand what the bible "does" say on certain subjects. The bible only refers to God and us, nothing or anyone else.

I used to speculate that God is certainly capable of creating life elsewhere and wouldn't be surprised if life does indeed exist elsewhere, but it simply goes against everything we know about God from the bible, and raises up more questions about redemption and Jesus and things like that. Plus it is eerily close to what Mormonism teaches about populating other planets with your own spirit children.

All I'm saying is that the Bible doesn't say and science doesn't know. So therefore the answer can't be "yes" or "no", it should probably be "not enough information".

WeVie
01-23-2009, 12:05 AM
All I'm saying is that the Bible doesn't say and science doesn't know. So therefore the answer can't be "yes" or "no", it should probably be "not enough information".

I know the answer is not enought info but I think it is fun to wonder about sometimes.

I know no one can give me a correct answer. I am only wondering what others think about it.

I think there has to be other life out there somewhere. Again, I don't think any spaceships and aliens have beamed down but as big and neverending as it is there is no way we are the only ones out there. That being said, God has no reason to tell us about others.

We may be only one of many of Gods experiments. Maybe somewhere 10,000 light years away, they didn't eat the forbidden fruit. If that was the case, maybe they don't know sin and didn't need Jesus to die for there sins.

Dolphan7
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
All I'm saying is that the Bible doesn't say and science doesn't know. So therefore the answer can't be "yes" or "no", it should probably be "not enough information".I think it depends on how the question is posed.

Does God have children on other planets? Is there life on other planets?

Answer - No. At this time there is no evidence supporting that.

Is it possible for God to have created children on other planets, is life possible on other planets?

Answer - We don't know, not enough information.

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I think it depends on how the question is posed.

Is it possible for God to have created children on other planets, is life possible on other planets?

Question #1: The correct answer is, "I do not know"> Saying yes or no right now is making a huge jump

Questoin #2: OF course it is possible. WHy put a limitation on god?

Dolphan7
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Question #1: The correct answer is, "I do not know"> Saying yes or no right now is making a huge jump

Questoin #2: OF course it is possible. WHy put a limitation on god?

It goes back to how you ask the question.

Is it possible that God has created children on other planets?

Answer - unknown.

Is it possible that God can create children on other planets?

Answer - Obviously yes all things are possible with God.

See the difference?

LouPhinFan
01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I think it depends on how the question is posed.

You're playing with syntax and getting real nitpiky with it.

The two words you're exchanging are "does" and "possible".

Does God hae children on other planets? "not enough information"

Is it possible for God to have created children on other planets? "Yes, it is possible"

Blackocrates
01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. :D

PhinzN703
01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Religion is by far the most confusing thing I've ever come across :lol:

fishfanfromjerz
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Religion is by far the most confusing thing I've ever come across :lol:

i think women are more confusing

PhinzN703
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
i think women are more confusing

You're meeting the wrong ones then

WVDolphan
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
This is a question I have wondered forever. Of course there is no way to ever know for sure, unless you meet someone in heaven.

I think there is no way that we are the only planet out there with intelligent life. I'm not saying that little green men have came here on space ships but as big and never ending as the universe is, there has to be someone else out there.

Do you think we are god's only experiment?

Does god have a brother or sister that rules other universes? I know he says he is the only one but maybe he means the only one for our planet.

By the way, I am not making fun or being silly. It's something I have always wondered.

:crazy:

BobDole
03-21-2009, 03:41 AM
I'd like to think there are many different identical copies of ourselves on different planets like the movie The One with Jet Li. That way as each of them die, I will absorb their power and become The One. My Kung Fu will not be matched by another.

:sidelol:

awesome. hopefully your version is better than that atrocity.

jared81
03-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I can't really respond to your religious questions, but there are no other "universes". The term universe literally means "everything that physically exists."

so you dont believe there could be parrallel universes, or the string theory?

Tetragrammaton
03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
so you dont believe there could be parrallel universes, or the string theory?

Well, the technical definition of a universe is "everything that physically exists". So anything else out there is a part of the universe.

ih8brady
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Well, the technical definition of a universe is "everything that physically exists". So anything else out there is a part of the universe.

Is it? or is it a homonym? I'm not being rhetorical, physics and astronomy are just far from my strong suit.

Tetragrammaton
03-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Is it? or is it a homonym? I'm not being rhetorical, physics and astronomy are just far from my strong suit.

We think of the universe as a set thing, but it is simply everything. If there are other galaxies through some warp portal somewhere, they are part of the universe.

Wikipedia adds "the entirety of space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space) and time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time), all forms of matter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter), energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy) and momentum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum), and the physical laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_law) and constants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_constant) that govern them."

ih8brady
03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
We think of the universe as a set thing, but it is simply everything. If there are other galaxies through some warp portal somewhere, they are part of the universe.

Wikipedia adds "the entirety of space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space) and time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time), all forms of matter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter), energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy) and momentum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum), and the physical laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_law) and constants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_constant) that govern them."

But is there any seperation in advanced science and mathematics about speculation and hypotheses on universe/universes? Again, not stating but asking.

Tetragrammaton
03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
But is there any seperation in advanced science and mathematics about speculation and hypotheses on universe/universes? Again, not stating but asking.

I don't know. I have a semester of astronomy and a Google search bar. Hopefully one of those Finheaven astrophysicists comes by.

ih8brady
03-21-2009, 01:28 PM
whatever happened to that ckb2001 guy?

Dolphan7
03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
whatever happened to that ckb2001 guy?I don't know. Hasn't posted since 8/1/2007. That was when the crash happened. He probably thinks the site went down forever.

Jimi
03-22-2009, 03:38 PM

One thing id like to point out is the term "carbon based life" when talking about extra-terestrials seems meaningless to me. If we are looking for life, it would be very limited thinking to believe some unknown being requires any of the same resources to sustain life that we do.

juniorseau55
04-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Without mentioning any faiths, one can safely come up to one conclusion only and not serveral. Science is there to explain life in a defined manner that is universally explained in one tunnel so others can understand it. Science is really at a relatively premature state in this time and it is light years from figuring out the system outside of the one we live.

Life itself is a very complicating thing that is hard to explain, and even harder to understand. I personally feel at the conform of admitting my believe in a greater power which is god. One must be creative, understanding, and artistic to think of the physical development of the human existance as well as the beautiful sorroundings. To deny the existance of a greater being is foolish in my opinion.

Some might say, why is their faith out there? Faith is out there to teach us the good values that we do not have. Some faiths out there are erratic, while others are just too extreme. Whichever faith points their flock to the right direction will lead their followers to a greater place. At this moment, our planet is going through changes that have been foretold as a sign of bad things to come.

This is coming from a Computer Scientist.

HansMojo
05-10-2009, 01:47 AM
IMHO, the angels qualify as extraterrestrials and it's possible that the book of Job refers to other beings that God created to populate the universe.

Job 38:4-7 states:
[/URL][URL="http://bible.cc/job/38-4.htm"]4 (http://bible.cc/job/38-1.htm) “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
5 (http://bible.cc/job/38-5.htm) Who set its measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
6 (http://bible.cc/job/38-6.htm) “On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7 (http://bible.cc/job/38-7.htm) When the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

According to this text, the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy (two different groups?)...when God was laying the foundations of the earth. To me, this might just be implying that God has created life in other places and they were thrilled to witness God's creative act here. To me, it would make sense for God to create life on other planets. The universe is a big place. But it's certainly not clearly stated in the Bible whether or not God has created life on other planets, so it's nothing more than a point of interest to me personally. I'm not going to make a big deal about it either way. I believe we'll know for sure someday and I look forward to that time.

By the way, Job 2:1 is also interesting in this respect:

1 (http://bible.cc/job/2-1.htm) Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the LORD.

Interesting stuff...

SoJoMike
05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
The Bible is not a science book, why are people using it for anything other than spiritual guidance (or entertainment)? Non-evidence is not evidence of anything, D7, and thus cannot be used to draw a conclusion. You are clearly not a scientist.

Jimi
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
The Bible is not a science book, why are people using it for anything other than spiritual guidance (or entertainment)? Non-evidence is not evidence of anything, D7, and thus cannot be used to draw a conclusion. You are clearly not a scientist.

Evidence huh? Scientific "evidence" hasnt seemed to be much of a sure thing throughout history. Were simply not that smart, we think we know a lot more than we do i feel.

The bible is the most consistent peice of litterature i know of.

SoJoMike
05-12-2009, 08:59 PM
The Christians who administered the Bible to me as a youth filled in a lot of the unknowns with fantasy. I've noticed that is a common theme in those with Christian convictions. Fantasy is not evidence. Science proposes things, but does not state them as facts like Christians, e.g. D7. There are no children on other planets because it isn't mentioned in the Bible? That's ridiculous. The CLOSEST we can come to the truth on this matter on this planet/in this country is to gain a TS government clearance, have a need to know and be granted special access to classified material relating to Area 51. Even then there is only a 50/50 chance of really knowing, because if there is no evidence, you still wouldn't know for sure.

And BTW, the bible has logical flaws re: the nature of God that I've never heard anyone sufficiently retort, so if that is the most consistent piece of literature you know of, I respectfully suggest you expand your literary options.

Jimi
05-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Im sorry those Christians lied to you, many people lie. No fantasy is needed to fill any holes though. I do not share that same view, just because there is no mention of specific aliens does not prove to me they dont exisit. It does however make me find it more improbable.

What logical flaw regarding Gods nature do you speak of?

SoJoMike
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
A simple one challenges the nature of being omnipotent.

Can God create a mountain so large that he cannot lift?

The standard retort is Why would God want to do this? It is a stupid thing to do. And this, of course, is avoiding an answer. It is the same strategy being used everyday in some elementary school yard from the kid who assures everyone he is quite capable of performing a quadruple back-flip off the monkey bars, he just doesn't want to do it right now.

There are more complicated ones challenging omniscience and benevolence. You can google these, although I have seen several of these presented by atheist, with whom I am not prone to align with either.

These are logic problems, not things that require evidence, that is why they are generally avoided by Christians. I got called a non-conformist by my pastor for asking all these questions 20 years ago.

This is not the thread for this though. This thread is about God spreading his seed. I will create a series of discussions at some point, once I get sufficient references together, but not going to hijack this thread with this now. I think I went too far as it is. My fault.

Jimi
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I hate that argument. First of all God never claims omnipotence, its more inferred. He cannot lie or sin, so there are obviously some things he cannot do. I believe asking him to do something that goes against the logic he created would be in the same field as lieing.

You use human logic to challenge God which will never work.

With that being said, we can continue that debate in another thread if need be.

SoJoMike
05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'll get the bible verses together and we can discuss. You probably know the ones I mean or can google them. It isn't God I have a problem with, it is using the Bible as a source of flawless truth. I think God exists, but it is quite obvious to me that the Bible was written/rearranged/edited by folks who had issues, and they project too many human qualities like jealousy, anger, etc... on God. That is what is so troublesome to me.

OK, aliens.....discuss!

arizphinfan
05-31-2009, 08:01 PM
It goes back to how you ask the question.

Is it possible that God has created children on other planets?

Answer - unknown.

Is it possible that God can create children on other planets?

Answer - Obviously yes all things are possible with God.

See the difference?

Right I agree with you