PDA

View Full Version : GBN Senior Bowl practice report

jim1
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Tuesday morning North practice:

The big news pehaps from this mornings North pracice was that the offensive line, which appeared to have missed the wake-up call from their pre-practice naps yesterday afternoon, was collecively much sharper. C Alex Mack and Okalhoma OT Phil Loadholt have looked good. In fact, I havenít witnessed Loadholt getting beat in either practice so far. Loadholt has consistently gotten great arm extension and has displayed much more active feet than expected. Mack hasnít been as dominate but is taking care of business in his own right.

While the North offensive line was improved today, Boston College DT B.J. Raji continued to dominate. The 334-pounder is living in the backfield making interior lineman look ridiculous. The backside of this stud defensive tackle is enormous and he looks like he was born to demolish the squat rack. That strength transfers to the field as he can bull rush anyone. In individual drills he threw Oregon OL Max Unger to the ground in a move reminiscent of Reggie White

6-6, 227-pound Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden was almost impossible to cover on a couple of simple slant routes, but didn'tlook very smooth or quick on other routes. On the other hand, Penn State WR Derrick Williams continued to look like the quickest guy on the North team.

While the North receivers struggled at times, several DBs had very good days. Virginia Tech CB Victor ' Macho' Harris was very physical at the line of scrimmage jamming receivers and also was very quick running with receivers in the open field. Oregon State CB Keenan Lewis, who has nice size for a cover corner, was also very smooth on the break. Meanwhile, North safeties Patrick Chung of Oregon and Louis Delmas of Western Michigan had excellent practices, however, Missouri FS Will Moore, one of the highest rated players coming into Mobile continued to struggle, Moore just hasn't looked very quick or smooth and has fallen down way too much.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Macho Harris and Keenan Lewis, two guys I've been keeping on Miami's radar.

Like I've been saying, do not be surprised if Miami tries to get Macho Harris in the 2nd round.

Also do not be surprised if they target Morgan Trent later in the draft. I know he got burnt the eff out at the Shrine Game, but it happened because he was being too aggressive, thinking he could get away with it. That happened some at Michigan, too...he was one of those guys Michigan fans had a love/hate with. But I'll be honest...when I watch his back pedal, side step and hips, he smells as much like a pro corner as anyone else in the draft. You can teach these guys a lot, but physical ability is tough to teach.

hooshoops
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
yeah, i liked what i saw from both macho and keenan lewis. cover corners with size.

SamIam
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM

Like I've been saying, do not be surprised if Miami tries to get Macho Harris in the 2nd round.

Also do not be surprised if they target Morgan Trent later in the draft. I know he got burnt the eff out at the Shrine Game, but it happened because he was being too aggressive, thinking he could get away with it. That happened some at Michigan, too...he was one of those guys Michigan fans had a love/hate with. But I'll be honest...when I watch his back pedal, side step and hips, he smells as much like a pro corner as anyone else in the draft. You can teach these guys a lot, but physical ability is tough to teach.

CK - Isnt Macho more of a Tampa 2 cover corner?

WelcomeBack
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Watching Macho this week...he looks like he's very dedicated on getting his man defense down. He's doing a good job on picking up where he's left off on the previous play. Fixing the aspects of his game.

Oraclepz
01-21-2009, 02:26 PM
damn that sucks... atlanta picks right ahead of us and i have a feeling they want to take BJ Raji.... maybe if he makes it near us we can jump 1 or 2 spots ahead of atlanta to grab him?

SamIam
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
damn that sucks... atlanta picks right ahead of us and i have a feeling they want to take BJ Raji.... maybe if he makes it near us we can jump 1 or 2 spots ahead of atlanta to grab him?

we have no shot at Raji... he might be a top 10 pick when all is said and done

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
CK - Isnt Macho more of a Tampa 2 cover corner?

I dunno. The designation gets tossed around too much, but I don't know that I see athletic limitations for Macho. I think he can press receivers at the line and he can cover man to man.

WelcomeBack
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I dunno. The designation gets tossed around too much, but I don't know that I see athletic limitations for Macho. I think he can press receivers at the line and he can cover man to man.

That's pretty much what I've seen from his practices. He gets a good press at the line.

I think he can continuously improve his man to man. I don't see any limits on him.

ChambersWI
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM

I dunno how I'd feel about MFT on the Fins. Us Wolverine fans don't really have love hate relation ship with MFT, it's more of a just a hate relationship. He can make plays, and he can be very physical, but he gets burnt a lot.

FINMAN13
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Macho may not have the wheels to run deep with the fastest of WR's. But he has the skills and the closing speed to make a lot of plays during a game. He LOVES to hit anyone that has the ball. He reads routes very well...but that is also his weak spot. He is so aggressive from his reads, he can beat beat on a hitch N go pattern often. But that can be fixed...

I have watched him play almost every game at VT. He has really good at returns and likes to play the offense. He can catch make no doubt about it. If the ball hits his hands, chances are he will come down with it.

He is FOCUSED on football and LOVES the game. He is not a thug and is loved by pretty much all of Blacksburg. Not because he plays for the hokies, because he is just a GREAT GUY!!!

I do not see why he is not a 1st round lock...but hey if the Fins can get him in round 2 ....GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

LouPhinFan
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Question For CK -

Is Barden worth looking at in the WR spot? He's got the dimensions, but does have the speed and hands? How much "upside" does he have?

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I dunno how I'd feel about MFT on the Fins. Us Wolverine fans don't really have love hate relation ship with MFT, it's more of a just a hate relationship. He can make plays, and he can be very physical, but he gets burnt a lot.

He's a gambler and he gets burnt to a cinder sometimes. But he's got ability that you can't teach. I think you have a lot more luck getting a gambler to play with discipline than getting a disciplined guy with a high back pedal and bad hips to play with more talent.

ckparrothead
01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Question For CK -

Is Barden worth looking at in the WR spot? He's got the dimensions, but does have the speed and hands? How much "upside" does he have?

He's worth looking at for certain but I just know that you can't have a very good idea on him until you see him play against some better athletes in some pressure defenses. These all star practices are very important. The all star game is very important.

NRA
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
macho harris is one of those guys that doesnt have 4.2 speed but he knows how to take angles and make it work. when he gets to his guy he DEFENDS the play and is
a major disrupter in the pass game.

and, as mentioned, he has the size and strength to jam up the stronger wr's which
you need to be able to do in the NFL.

he is HIGH on my list for the finz. he is just a PLAY MAKER and thats what we need
in our secondary right now.

i like raji, i really do and i wont mind the finz taking him. but he is, like every year, one of those players that gets hyped right beyond what they really are. like glenn
dorsey last year. he was CANT MISS and the finz were taking him FOR SURE!!

i didnt buy it, and everything i had against him came true, he wasnt nfl strong, his stamina was NO WHERE NEAR good enough for the nfl, and was injury prone. all these things made him a first year bust for the chiefs.

and OH, the price i paid on this board for even implying any of that last year.

but, bygons are bygons. and even though i see raji aproaching these same, absolutely unobtainable feets of heroics placed on him by the fanz and some
media/guru types, he will be a better player than dorsey, but he just isnt what
some are saying right now. he is NOT unblockable and unger MAY have gotten a
throw by him, but for the most part, unger MORE than held his own agaisnt him
the last two days.

my point here is that TRADING UP for him, giving extra pics is NOT worth it. he is
worth the taking [only beacuse its a strong need right now] with #26, but he isnt
worth trading away pics to move up for.

we need WR, DB, LB and O-LINE. there will be MANY exellent pics for us at that spot. so many that we may actually TRADE DOWN instead of up because of all the
value in the later 1st and all of the second round where more pics would suite us
better than giving them away for one player.

if NT was the biggest need and we had pro bowl wr, stout secondary then i could see moving up a few spots. but not now. we have other pressing needs and MANY big time players will be there for us.

Ronnie23Brown
01-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I've liked Keenan Lewis since the 1st practice as well as Harris. Would like to get one of these corners. CK, is Peria Jerry out of reach at 25?