PDA

View Full Version : Oscar nominations

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

As expected Heath Ledger gets a nomination for the Joker. In my opinion he looks to be the favorite, although I haven't seen all of the performances.

Best Picture nominations: Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, The Reader, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I haven't seen any of these films yet.

Tetragrammaton
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
I have seen three of the Best Picture nominees. Benjamin Button was boring, The Reader was ridiculous, and Slumdog Millionaire was terrible. The Wrestler and Synecdoche are the best movies of 2008 but the Academy fails again.

ih8brady
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
To me, award shows like the Oscars are just like the Pro Bowl in that they are useless. Usually, they either give an award to a media darling or someone who has a distinguished career and was robbed in the past of a win. Kind of like Favre getting a Pro Bowl ticket despite having an awful season.

And why do people (besides maybe middle aged women) not involved in show business even watch these shows? Just look at many of the masterpieces that were not only brilliant but changed the industry or created new trends. Citizen Kane, Charlie Chaplin films, Sam Peckinpah films, Martin Scorceses early films, Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner, Brokeback Mountain, etc. all passed for political reasons but are more popular and acclaimed than their winning counterparts.

Tetragrammaton
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
To me, award shows like the Oscars are just like the Pro Bowl in that they are useless. Usually, they either give an award to a media darling or someone who has a distinguished career and was robbed in the past of a win. Kind of like Favre getting a Pro Bowl ticket despite having an awful season.

And why do people (besides maybe middle aged women) not involved in show business even watch these shows? Just look at many of the masterpieces that were not only brilliant but changed the industry or created new trends. Citizen Kane, Charlie Chaplin films, Sam Peckinpah films, Martin Scorceses early films, Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner, Brokeback Mountain, etc. all passed for political reasons but are more popular and acclaimed than their winning counterparts.

You are absolutely right, but they still have a purpose. A Best Picture nomination and win will boost revenue, and will influence what movies are bankrolled. I saw The Reader a week ago, and there were only two people there. When I went to see Frost/Nixon yesterday, the theater was full and lots of people were going to see The Reader. That is why I follow them. I also root for the movies I like, even though I know a win or loss does not effect how good it actually is.

I prefer when no one likes my movie though. There was nothing worse than having a bunch of philistines yell in agony over the ending of No Country for Old Men.

Nublar7
01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Dark Knight should have got a best picture nomination. They got ripped off.

Blackocrates
01-31-2009, 03:28 AM
I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. It was entertaining and kind of neat. It didn't blow me away by any means. I don't know why it was nominated for best picture, it was just an average film.

My favorite scene was where the little boy is willing to go to the extreme to get an autograph from his favorite actor. I couldn't stop laughing and gagging at the same time.

ih8brady
06-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Supposedly, the AA will go back to the pre-50s mode of having ten instead of five nominations for Best Picture from now on.

Tetragrammaton
06-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Supposedly, the AA will go back to the pre-50s mode of having ten instead of five nominations for Best Picture from now on.

I don't know how I feel about this.

1. They said that it will allow documentaries, animated films, and foreign ones to compete, but those that would be nominated would not be excluded from the specialty category. If WALL-E was a Best Picture nominee last year, doesn't that make the animated category a formality?

2. With five options last year, the Academy nominated Milk, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I liked Milk a lot, and I enjoyed parts of Frost/Nixon, but Benjamin Button was mediocre, and the Reader and Slumdog Millionaire were awful. If the option for ten lets good indie films like The Wrestler in, fine, but if it lets in more bad Oscar bait, like Revolutionary Road, I will be saddened.

3. Since there are only five director slots still, doesn't that make the additional five also-rans? The winning film usually has a winning director, except in a few cases. Very rarely can a film win without a director nomination at all.

4. Everyone knows that this was done because of how The Dark Knight and WALL-E were snubbed. However, does that mean that two or three slots are the realm of the blockbuster now, regardless of quality? Will Transformers be a Best Picture nominee? Perhaps a Judd Apatow comedy or two?