PDA

View Full Version : War movies

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
We're guys so we all like them, some more than others. Feel free to list your favorites and talk about them. But I would really like to hear about more obscure war movies if anybody has any that they like.

I just watched The Brotherhood of War (2004) and I really enjoyed it. I was surprised how well produced the movie it. It's a recent Korean movie about the Korean War. The movie follows two brothers that are thrown into the war, fighting for South Korea. I expected the dynamic of the brothers to be plain and predictable but it wasn't. The brothers take you on a ride as they deal with the horrors of war. It's a really good movie. Some may criticize it because there is a little sentimentality in it but it's not overdone. To me it's the Saving Private Ryan for Koreans. Check it out.

phinfan3411
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I LOVE war movies, but obscure ones, I don't know.

Would Enemy at the Gates be obscure? Probably not, but I loved it.

About the WWII battle for Stalingrad, and how a sniper helped turn the tide, and raise the spirit of the people.

BobDole
01-24-2009, 01:43 AM
hamburger hill is my favorite. there are so many good ones though. as far as obscure ones go - i guess i would have to say gallipoli and casualties of war.

the most twisted movies are about vietnam. go figure.

mullet
01-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I liked Enemy at the Gates and I thoroughly enjoyed Saving Private Ryan, but I would have to say my favorite "war" movie is still Full Metal Jacket. The second half of the movie isn't THAT great, but the first half and the stuff Seargent Pyle goes through before his oddly fascinating death is just incredible.

ih8brady
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Not a big fan of war movies, I think they tend to be riddled with lame cliches and pseudo-drama or poorly made propaganda(not that here haven't been great propaganda films). Don't get me wrong, there are great classics in the genre like Das Boot, Platoon, Sahara, The Deer Hunter, Major Dundee, Glory, etc. with my favorite being the philosophical epic The Bridge on the River Kwai.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/01/117522110_7f29736f9b-1.jpg
As for obscure mentions, check out a 1993 film called Stalingrad about the infamous battle in WWII with a very high death count. It is a German-made film with subtitles and it follows specifically a young Lt(played by Thomas Kretschmann, who has gone on to have a successful career in Hollywood) and his platoon of German infantrymen. Most start off gung-ho and inspired by the Third Reich's mission against the Eastern Front, but the initial battle leaves many in the platoon and other platoons in their company dead. Needless to say morale and hope become scarce and they malinger, desert, face punishment, etc. all for survival. A very good story with solid acting, particularly good performance by the young corporal. Some criticize the film for painting a very sympathetic portrayal of Nazi Germany's soldiers. I disagree. While it tries to show their reality, I can't see the filmmakers as trying to get our approval of it. All of the officers are shown to be corrupt and morally repulsive, and even the protagonist footsoldiers desire to commit atrocitious acts on Russian women by their own will towards the film end. On the down-side, some of the gore and special effects were fake-looking.

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
It's a broad and fascinating genre and one that I love. Many war films have differing thrusts, and, it's hard to say one is better than the other. I will list some you may have or may not have heard of that I believe are worthy of a look.

1. Band Of Brothers. This is a must see. It pulls no punches and is a historicly accurate representation of an Airborne Infantry Company in combat throughout the war. Any serious movie buff (Though it was a mini series) must have this in thier collection.

2. Saveing Private Ryan. Another must see. The first phase of the movie is about as historicly accurate as it gets. I did a training block when I was in the Army on this movie, and, I found the D-Day After Action review in the base library. Accurate as it gets in that point. IM me for the details if you like.

3. An Odd Angry Shot. A small movie about the Australian experience in Vietnam.

4. Go Tell The Spartans. Another small movie about the very early (Kennedy) involvment in the war with US advisors.

5. Hamburger Hill. Aside from some creative embelleshment, also very historicly accurate. What makes this unique among the Vietnam films is that it was a set-piece battle, of which there were not many in Vietnam.

6. Blackhawk Down. It does the book justice. Equipment/uniforms are of varying degrees of accuracy, but what struck me is that the characters act like soldiers, and react like soldiers. That's no small feat when you are not one. I've watched the movie about 1000 times, but, I still get stuff in my eye when Shutgart and Gordon request to be set down to secure the crash site. 2 against a city.

7. All Quiet On The Western Front. One of the greatest Anti war movies ever.....Because it doesn't try to be anti-war. See also; Band of Brothers.

8. The Sand Pebbles. In the era of China/gunboat diplomacy. One of Steve McQueen's greatest roles.

9. Guns At Batasi. I love Sir Richard Attenbourouh....This is a work of fiction, but, when I fished it out of a bargain bin at Suncoast and watched it recently......It feels relevant. Sir Richard as a British RSM is riveting.

10. A Walk In The Sun. WWII era film. Very well done. A lighter watch, but, still good.

11. Master And Commander. As fair a balance of liberal and conservative as Ive ever seen in a movie that was about a compare/contrast.

12. Full Metal Jacket. Aside from the silly stuff like the suicide in the barracks and the contrived dialouge in places, the Basic Training portion, from what I've been told is only inaccurate in that Basic was MUCH more brutal and hard then. The war portion in Hue is very nice in the typical motley mix of weapons and equipment common to warfighting Marine units in the Tet era.

13. Galipoli. See also; All Quiet On the Western Front. Early era WWI on the little known, but very bloody Darndenelles campaign. One of the Seminal events in Australian history, and, part of what lead to the creation of separate Australian units fighting under Australian commanders.

14. The Lighthorsemen. Interesting early era WWI film, also Australian.

15. ANZACS. With Paul Hogan...It was an Australian production. Not great but nicely done on a small scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bad ones-

1. The Thin Red Line. God awful. I encourage you to watch two anti-war films. Watch this, and, watch All Quiet On The Western Front.......Tell me which movie is more effective at it's message.

2. Casualties Of War. Oh good...Another movie to make 'Nam Vets look like ****head criminals.

I'll come up with more....

ih8brady
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
A Walk In The Sun was a good one, superior to most of the 40s imo. Didn't think of Master and Commander as a war film, but it is a favorite of mine. One of the best movies I've seen in the last decade. The Sand Pebbles is an overlooked movie, but a great story brought to life by Steve McQueen in one of his better films. I like it better than the more famous The Great Escape. Which reminds me of a film I meant to mention, Hell is For Heroes. It is a borderline B-movie (some poor special effects, which may turn some people off) that is basically plotless(a few infantry men try to hold off a vast incoming German force) BUT the characters really make the story worthwhile. McQueen becomes his character, a disturbed loner who is an elite soldier that worries even his own peers. James Coburn, Bobby Darin and Bob Newhart, of all people, all provide interesting support to the cast. Worth checking out, even if it's not the best of the genre.

Arsenal WV
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
My favorite War movie, or one of my favorite would be 'Kellys Heroes'... Has anybody ever saw it? It stars Clint Eastwood, Don Rickles and some other celebs. Funny movie....I love it

During World War II, Kelly (Eastwood), a former lieutenant demoted to private as a scapegoat, captures a German colonel in Intelligence and gets him drunk to try to get information. Before he is killed by a German tank, the drunken prisoner of war blurts out an interesting tidbit: there is a cache of 14,000 gold bars stored in a bank vault 30 miles behind enemy lines. Kelly recruits a group of soldiers on R&R to sneak off and steal it. They include a skeptical master sergeant, "Big Joe" (Savalas); a greedy and opportunistic Supply sergeant, "Crapgame" (Rickles); a proto-hippie Sherman tank commander, "Oddball" (Sutherland); and a number of stereotypical "grunts." The men are presented as competent, if weary veterans; their motivations are more cynical and self-serving than patriotic. The obvious antagonists are the Germans. However, it quickly becomes clear that the motley band's own superior officers are just as much an obstacle, especially when the unauthorized private enterprise raid inadvertently initiates an Allied advance. Kelly's men race to reach the bank before a clueless Major General Colt (O'Connor) can interfere with their scheme. Ironically, while there is combat with the Germans, ultimately, it is the cooperation

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/01/DVD2_kellysheroes-1.jpg

LouPhinFan
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I liked John Wayne's "Operation Pacific".

I thought "Midway" was ok too.

CedarPhin
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Full Metal Jacket
The Green Berets
The Great Escape
Patton (probably my favorite)
The Deer Hunter
Black Hawk Down
Enemy At The Gates
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Raid

Blackocrates
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
1. Band Of Brothers. This is a must see. It pulls no punches and is a historicly accurate representation of an Airborne Infantry Company in combat throughout the war. Any serious movie buff (Though it was a mini series) must have this in thier collection.

Band of Brothers is my favorite thing on film. My great uncle was apart of Easy Company. Years ago I had an opportunity to speak with Stephen Ambrose. After talking with him, we shared a few emails for a while but then he became ill.

On a side note, I like A Thin Red Line. I love the beauty and silence in a lot of scenes. I think it was made well.

Blackocrates
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Ih8brady, I haven't seen Stalingrad. I just put it in my queue and as usual per your recommendations there is a long wait. As soon as I watch it, I'll let you know what I thought. I'm still waiting on some of your movies from months ago.

phinfan3411
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Anybody see Stalag 17? Great, great older WWII movie.

emeraldfin
01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Not big into war films, but The Great Escape is one of the best films I have ever seen

uga3406
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
saving private ryan is the best...platoon is right there as well.....the longest day is excelent as well, if u havent seen it, then do so...great movie with an amazing cast

uga3406
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM

I have seen that movie a few times and love it...

CedarPhin
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Saw it a few years back. Pretty good flick.

CedarPhin
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Not big into war films, but The Great Escape is one of the best films I have ever seen
Classic movie. I love it.

CedarPhin
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Not really a war movie, but has anyone here ever seen Buffalo Soldiers? Watched it tonight for the first time in ages, thought it was great.

SpaceMountain16
02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
The Great Escape is one of my absolute all-time favorite movies. I love it. I was able to get the collectors edition for like $1.05 NEW on FamilyVideo.com and it's still one of the greatest purchases i've ever made.

I also like Saving Private Ryan a lot.

Blackocrates
02-08-2009, 04:59 AM
I have a few more that people may not have seen:

The Great Raid (2005)- Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a true story. It's about a group of Rangers that rescue hundreds of American POW's at the end of WWII in Japan.

Empire of the Sun (1987)- This is a Spielberg flick with a young Christian Bale and John Malkovich. The movie is about a boy that fights to survive in a Japanese POW camp during WWII.

Force 10 from Navarone (1978)- Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford star in this film. Another WWII flick. A small special forces group are given an assignment to track down a german spy. A lot goes wrong and other secret missions are later revealed.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)- I'm sure most have seen this. It's an epic movie that follows an eccentric British officer that helps lead an Arab revolt against the Turks in WWI.

Bravo Two Zero (1999)- This is a true story about a British special forces unit and their experience in the Gulf War. It's the best Gulf War film that I have seen.

CedarPhin
02-08-2009, 10:28 AM

The Great Raid (2005)- Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a true story. It's about a group of Rangers that rescue hundreds of American POW's at the end of WWII in Japan.

Empire of the Sun (1987)- This is a Spielberg flick with a young Christian Bale and John Malkovich. The movie is about a boy that fights to survive in a Japanese POW camp during WWII.

Force 10 from Navarone (1978)- Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford star in this film. Another WWII flick. A small special forces group are given an assignment to track down a german spy. A lot goes wrong and other secret missions are later revealed.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)- I'm sure most have seen this. It's an epic movie that follows an eccentric British officer that helps lead an Arab revolt against the Turks in WWI.

Bravo Two Zero (1999)- This is a true story about a British special forces unit and their experience in the Gulf War. It's the best Gulf War film that I have seen.

I know the guy whose experiences in Baton inspired "The Great Raid" movie. I know the director of it too.

GoonBoss
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Both films are based on true stories. I might add the SAS guy in B2-0 is not well thought of in the Spec-ops community from what I'm told. Not being in Spec Ops, that's just second hand pass on from me.

ih8brady
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Both films are based on true stories. I might add the SAS guy in B2-0 is not well thought of in the Spec-ops community from what I'm told. Not being in Spec Ops, that's just second hand pass on from me.

By Americans, Brits or both? You have to consider rivalries even between allies or within the same country.