PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay Senior Bowl notes

jim1
01-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Northern Illinois's Larry English (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24322) is separating himself from another undersized defensive end/outside linebacker prospect -- Connecticut's Cody Brown (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24486) -- and working his way into the first day of the draft. English is playing with more of an edge and showing better upper body than Brown as a run defender. He has also been a step quicker around the corner than Brown has been in rushing the passer.

While Unger clearly had problems sinking his hips and anchoring in pass protection Tuesday despite weighing in at a respectable 299 pounds, Cal C Alex Mack (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24663) fared better. Missouri DT Ziggy Hood did beat Mack with a spin move during one-on-one pass rush drills, but Mack did a better job of holding his ground. In addition, he looks to be a split-second quicker than Unger.

Connecticut OT William Beatty has made a favorable impression during his first two days of practice. Beatty clearly needs to get bigger, but he has room on his frame to bulk up and he's already stronger than his size suggests. More importantly, he moves well and has the long arms to ride edge-rushers past the pocket.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=3847029&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3847029

phinfan33
01-24-2009, 12:35 PM
i wouldn't mind this guy as our NT...• At this point, Raji's collegiate teammate DT Ron Brace (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24588) is probably used to living in his shadow, but Brace's play hasn't gone unnoticed by the coaches and front-office personnel in attendance. Brace isn't as explosive or athletic as Raji and is a little too top-heavy at times, but he's doing a good job of holding his ground and flashing the ability to collapse the pocket. In other words, he played like a late second-round or early second-day pick today.

CedarPhin
01-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Delmas, Mack, and Brace

Kdawg954
01-24-2009, 02:05 PM

I could definitely live with that draft on day 1, tho I'm hesitant to mock any draft w/o a LB on day 1.

3rdandinches
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
The only problem I have with discussing a Center being beaten by a spin move on one on one drills is DT's don't usually if ever use the spin up the middle because they'll run into a Guard. The one on one drill is an advantage for the defensive player being able to play in open space.

CedarPhin
01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I could definitely live with that draft on day 1, tho I'm hesitant to mock any draft w/o a LB on day 1.

I forgot about the LB position. Thanks for catching that.:up:

lbmclean_sj
01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Loadholt is gonna have to play RT?

works for me

Kdawg954
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Loadholt is gonna have to play RT?

works for me

Ugh, I rather resign Carey . . . I'm not a Loadholt fan. Hell give me Alex Boone.

I am Bane
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
you might only get one and possibly two of them in the draft where we are at... so pray for who you want msot.

CedarPhin
01-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I also wouldn't mind taking Barden in the 3rd.

Perfect23
01-24-2009, 03:33 PM
In Bill I trust I will be happy whoever he picks.

mroz
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
you might only get one and possibly two of them in the draft where we are at... so pray for who you want msot.

It is really early but I dont agree with you at all (not that my opinion is any more valid then yours). The highest rated player out of those three is Mack who IMO is going to be a late 1st early 2nd at best. Delmas has worked his way from a mid 3rd rounder to a mid 2nd rounder. Some say Brace is a late 2nd rounder but I think he is more like a 3rd rounder.

I had been really unsure about what to do with Carey but the more I think about it the more I think we should resign him. IMO, if Carey is resigned the Fins could go any position in the 1st. Someone like Delmas, Johnson or Nicks with 2a. Then follow that with one of the centers with 2b.

Personally, I think LB can be addressed later in the draft and via FA.

lbmclean_sj
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Ugh, I rather resign Carey . . . I'm not a Loadholt fan. Hell give me Alex Boone.

yeah, I would definitely like to keep Carey and draft a stud C instead

Roman529
01-24-2009, 09:21 PM
If anyone is streaming the game or can hook me up, please send me a PM as I don't have the NFL Network. Thanks!!!

I got the game if anyone needs help, send me a PM. Wahooooo!!!

I am Bane
01-24-2009, 09:49 PM
i agree totally with both of you on Carey and Loadholt...

Center wise i still down on Antoine Caldwell, not Mack at all.

yeah, I would definitely like to keep Carey and draft a stud C instead

finfan54
01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
i agree totally with both of you on Carey and Loadholt...

Center wise i still down on Antoine Caldwell, not Mack at all.

I liked Caldwell. That is my guy now at Center.

General Tso
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM

That would be an outstanding day 1 of the draft. Starting FS, starting C/G and a giant NT that splits time with Ferg in 2009 and starts in 2010. I like it!

Namor
01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I liked Caldwell. That is my guy now at Center.

Remember the last time we took a center from Bama in the 2nd rd?
Dwight Stephenson....he worked out pretty well for us.

phinfan33
01-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Hey Namor..you're a Bama fan thru&thru...what's your take on Caldwell?

I am Bane
01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
wow... good call