PDA

View Full Version : Seven Samurai

Blackocrates
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Man, what a beautiful movie. Has anybody seen this film? I imagine a lot have, but I'm just now getting around to it. My buddy thought I would like Magnificent Seven more than this, but there's no comparison in my opinion.

I have no complaints about this movie in any way. I would have liked to seen it in color. I can only imagine how beautiful some of the shots would have been of the fields and mountains in this movie.

I'm now on an samurai kick so I'm going to be watching Yojimbo, Sanjuro, etc. soon.

ryanosaur2000
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Man, what a beautiful movie. Has anybody seen this film? I imagine a lot have, but I'm just now getting around to it. My buddy thought I would like Magnificent Seven more than this, but there's no comparison in my opinion.

I have no complaints about this movie in any way. I would have liked to seen it in color. I can only imagine how beautiful some of the shots would have been of the fields and mountains in this movie.

I'm now on an samurai kick so I'm going to be watching Yojimbo, Sanjuro, etc. soon.

Huge Kurosawa fan. I have 32 of his movies on DVD. Check out Ran also..one of his later classics. Considered by many to be his masterpiece.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Huge Kurosawa fan. I have 32 of his movies on DVD. Check out Ran also..one of his later classics. Considered by many to be his masterpiece.

I'll check it out, thanks. It's nice to know somebody else likes this movie.

Blackocrates
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM

I recently watched Ikiru, it was definitely different from his other films that I have seen. The movie was good but it took me a while to get through it. I kept stopping it and finding something else to do. It wasn't until the second half of the movie where I watched the entire thing through the end. I never do that, I guess the pacing in the first half just bored me a bit. But I thought it was a really good movie.

ryanosaur2000
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I recently watched Ikiru, it was definitely different from his other films that I have seen. The movie was good but it took me a while to get through it. I kept stopping it and finding something else to do. It wasn't until the second half of the movie where I watched the entire thing through the end. I never do that, I guess the pacing in the first half just bored me a bit. But I thought it was a really good movie.

Ikiru is great. The performance by Shimura Takashi is amazing. I do understand what you mean by it being a tough watch. The pacing is quite slow and the fact that it is in Japanese can be tiring especially if you don't speak the lingo. I am glad you liked it though :up:

There were rumours of a Spielberg remake of it actually...not sure how that would go.

Blackocrates
03-04-2009, 03:54 AM
I was hoping to watch Ran soon, but it's listed as a "long wait" in my rental queue.