PDA

View Full Version : Who here has had a knee injury?

Clumpy
10-05-2003, 01:15 AM
I recently injured my knee (along with my back). It appears both happened on or about the same time, it just took a bit longer for the knee to show up. My rt knee swells up big time whenever I use my rt leg. I now have a brace and am awaiting an MRI (x-rays, as expected, showed nada). ER doc gave me Loritab for the pain :tongue:

mf52dolphin
10-05-2003, 02:07 AM
Ouch old hairballed one.
Unfortunately I have had many knee injuries. Back in 1976 I broke my left kneecap in a road game east of the Sierras, and had to ride back in a bus for nine hours afterward. That was miserable. In the spring of 1977 I tore my right MCL in soccer game. The opening day of practice in pads that fall I retore the same MCL and had surgery on it. A couple months later I reinjured it again. In 1978 my senior year I had a scare during a game when a bunch of scar tissue ripped in my right knee. It was painful I could not run for 10 days but no damage. A couple of weeks later I tore the MCL in my left knee during a practice causing a premature end to my football carrer.
Last year I strained my right MCL again and it messed me up for two months. It prevented me from playing golf forclose to 3 months.

Clumpy
10-05-2003, 02:18 AM
Golfing? That's what happened. I hurt both my back and knee golfing for the first time in 3 yrs :(

Hairballed one :lol:

Barbarian
10-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Ripped my knee apart back in '96 while I was in the Navy, and again during Operation Enduring freedom.

Had surgery to repair tendon damage and now have chronic tendenitis in my right knee.

Yep, it sucks man, knee injuries are the pitts.

Muck
10-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Dang I can't compare to you guys. Especially mf52 (good lord man). But I banged up my knee pretty good when I was 11. Tore a bunch of cartilage and strained the tendons/ligaments (that's what I remember). Being 11, I was really scared. I was having bad spasms in the knee. It swelled up like a grapefuit. And when they started bending my leg to test it, you might as well have shot me. :lol:

I couldn't bend the leg for 2 weeks. But the worst part was that they discovered I had gout. 11 years old and I had gout. I guess that's what it took for it to show up. And ever since, I've always had joint problems. Had to make permanent changes to my diet at age 11.

!PapaCrunk81!
10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Damn Clump, you're damaged goods! Hope ya feel better though. I myself haven't injured my knees, thankfully, but I've rolled my ankles pretty bad from playing basketball. I know that doesn't compare, but it's something that seems to come and go as far as hurting and what not.

Scrap
10-05-2003, 04:02 PM
I had something called osteochondral dessicans in my fibula, right in the left knee. This is when a certain part of the bone doesn't get the right amount of blood flow to it. That caused me to break my left fibula in the knee. The bone never set, so they took that part out.(It was about the size of a quarter, the doc said.) My knee is still (11 months, and a week later) not right.

BruceDickinson
10-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Partially torn MCL my first year starting on varsity football at center. Cheap hit, after the play #24 St. Edwards. Man that bastard and we didnt even play them the next year so i couldnt get him back./

It did however make me come back to be a ten times better ball player. I gained everywhere and became a complete O lineman, even at 135lbs =). One of the best in the county, led team to district championship. Wooohooo.

HofCityFan
10-05-2003, 08:39 PM
I had patella tendinites (sp?) and it comes back if i'm not carefull have to ice my knee when ever I get done playing, Wear those rubber brace when I play Wallyball every Sat. It started when I jamed my knee into a concrete floor playing basketball the guy I wasa guard triped me on a spin move

Barbarian
10-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by HofCityFan
I had patella tendinites (sp?) and it comes back if i'm not carefull have to ice my knee when ever I get done playing, Wear those rubber brace when I play Wallyball every Sat. It started when I jamed my knee into a concrete floor playing basketball the guy I wasa guard triped me on a spin move

Thats the same type of tendanitis that I have man... my condolances man, when it hits it really sucks.

Clumpy
10-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ScrappyDew
I had something called osteochondral dessicans in my fibula, right in the left knee. This is when a certain part of the bone doesn't get the right amount of blood flow to it. That caused me to break my left fibula in the knee. The bone never set, so they took that part out.(It was about the size of a quarter, the doc said.) My knee is still (11 months, and a week later) not right.

Similar thing happened to Bo Jackson in his hip

Scrap
10-06-2003, 08:35 AM
I didn't realize that was the same thing. My doc did say that if I was a football player, that my career would have been over immediately though.

HofCityFan
10-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey Barbarian, you got that right when it hits it does suck, of couse I'm to stupid to quit playing and let it rest. The worst is when your going up steps. With you did it limit you range of motion, it my right knee and I can only bend a little pass 90 degrees where my left it's like over 120 or so. Have you found anything that realy helps it when it acts up

Dajesus
10-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I sprained my ACL in my first attempt to play a full spead game of hockey after I broke my ankle my senior year. I didn't have to have surgery, but my right leg will never be 100% again. I have no good story for either. I didn't even get touched. Caught a bad edge takeing off on a break away, and went down like a ton of bricks.

Clumpy
10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Diagnosis is in!

Patella retinaculum strain :eek:

2 weeks off from work and physical therapy.

I may not be able to go to the Redskins/Bills game next weekend :(

HofCityFan
10-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Hey Clump how long is the therapy, with my tenitis (sp?) I had to go 3 times a week for six weeks

Clumpy
10-09-2003, 09:21 AM
I won't know until I go to the physical therapist. I imagine it will be longer than the time I'm off though. I'm guessing 1 month