PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorms

CedarPhin
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
What's the worst one you've ever been in?

There was one here in Beirut today that was definitely an awesome show of lightning/thunder. All the buildings are highrises around where I'm at, so lighting was hitting all over the place.

One bit of thunder even set all the car alarms off around the area. It was nuts.

PhinzN703
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I am a thunderstorm junkie. It's the one weather phenomenon I adore.

In high school we were playing baseball when a storm came up. They delayed the game and each team sat in the dugout. This particular field had very tall wooden poles that held up the net behind the catcher and reached out to third and first base.

It was raining and it was calm for a second. Then a quick flash of light brightened the sky as lightning hit one of the poles on the 1st base side (we were in the 3rd base dugout). Thunder cracked almost as soon as the light flashed through the sky and boy was it loud.

That was a great storm. Game was canceled too :hi5:

WeVie
01-31-2009, 12:20 AM
My dad got struck by lightning one time. Not a direct hit He was standing under a tree and it struck the tree and some of it bit him.

PhinzN703
01-31-2009, 01:38 AM
My dad got struck by lightning one time. Not a direct hit He was standing under a tree and it struck the tree and some of it bit him.

Thunder must've been loud as a mofo

Blackocrates
01-31-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm not afraid to admit that I've hit the ground before when thunder suddenly struck over my head. I've only experienced a few big thunder stricks that were directly over me. Most are off to the side or at a distance. I hate it when it's cracking and popping right over me. The little rumbles don't bother me. I enjoy it from a little distance away.

BobDole
02-01-2009, 08:30 PM
living in florida - i've been in some awesome ones. hurricane charlie was probably the worst. then i didn't have power or water for over a week. in gainesville. in 100 degree heat. awesome.

GoonBoss
02-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I was in NOLA working at Gideon's Church EGS (FEMA trailor park) and one storm blew in off the Gulf. you could see the lighting fireing all the way in. It spawned tornados that blew lots of transofrmers. I was sitting in the doorway of the gaurd shack and I heard a sizzleing and then...THABOOOOOM! there was a flash and, I got blown back about 5 feet into the shack and, all the hair on my body was at attention. That was friggin close.

JTBRLZ
02-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I've had two bad experiences with thunder storms that stick out in my memory. One was on a road trip this summer when I was driving through Chicago. It was some of the craziest looking lightning I had ever seen, it was just all over the place. When we finally got to the hotel, we turned on the news and saw that there was tornado warnings all over the place and I almost pooped my pants.

Another time when I was younger, maybe 13, me and my family were out on the water on our boat, and we were anchored and connected to a bunch of other boats. Me and two of my younger brothers went with my uncle and my cousin on two of his jet skis and on our way back, a huge tropical storm hit out of no where, thunder and lightning all over the place, windy as ****. My and my cousin had just gotten on the boat, but my younger brother fell in the water as he was getting on the boat and was getting sucked under the boat and my dad had to jump in and grab him right before he got pulled under. It was just insane because 3 minutes earlier it had been a beautiful sunny day and the storm literally hit out of no where.

Finfang
02-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I lived through this mean thunderstorm!

I was 7!

Xenia, Ohio 1974

http://www.xwarn.net/index_files/tornado.htm

PhinzN703
02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I've had two bad experiences with thunder storms that stick out in my memory. One was on a road trip this summer when I was driving through Chicago. It was some of the craziest looking lightning I had ever seen, it was just all over the place. When we finally got to the hotel, we turned on the news and saw that there was tornado warnings all over the place and I almost pooped my pants.

Another time when I was younger, maybe 13, me and my family were out on the water on our boat, and we were anchored and connected to a bunch of other boats. Me and two of my younger brothers went with my uncle and my cousin on two of his jet skis and on our way back, a huge tropical storm hit out of no where, thunder and lightning all over the place, windy as ****. My and my cousin had just gotten on the boat, but my younger brother fell in the water as he was getting on the boat and was getting sucked under the boat and my dad had to jump in and grab him right before he got pulled under. It was just insane because 3 minutes earlier it had been a beautiful sunny day and the storm literally hit out of no where.

Tropical storms don't just form out of the blue. It was probably just a really severe t-storm. It sounds fun now that you are safe I bet ;)

CedarPhin
02-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I went surfing in a tropical storm one time. It was really stupid of me to do, but it was loads of fun.

JTBRLZ
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Tropical storms don't just form out of the blue. It was probably just a really severe t-storm. It sounds fun now that you are safe I bet ;)

Haha, you're probably right, but I was almost positive it was a tropical storm cause when we got back to our house, pieces of our neighbor's roof were in our driveway. Oh yea, it's always fun to have these stories when everyone comes out safe :lol:.

eric1589
02-03-2009, 01:32 AM
any chance the ft lauderdale kite surfer is here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vpy6IPDLXc

i think his story would be the trump card here.

PhinzN703
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Haha, you're probably right, but I was almost positive it was a tropical storm cause when we got back to our house, pieces of our neighbor's roof were in our driveway. Oh yea, it's always fun to have these stories when everyone comes out safe :lol:.

Could've been a big *** storm. I would've loved to have seen it :d-day:

CedarPhin
02-03-2009, 11:41 AM
The t-storms they have in Colombia are insane, especially in Bogota, because it's up so high in the air. I remember sitting in a restaurant there one afternoon when they had a thunderstorm going on.

Sounded like a couple bombs going off. I jumped about a foot in the air, and everyone in the restaurant thought it was funny as hell.

Dolfan3773
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Hurricane Andrew! I was in the heart of all the damage in Homestead. No power for like 6 months....sucked big time