PDA

View Full Version : What type of receiver would you guys prefer?

MiamiHitman13
01-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I was just doing a comparison between Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks, and it got me to thinking about what type of receiver would be a better fit for Miami.

So the question is this - Are the Dolphins better off with a taller, lankier, jumpball receiver like Kenny Britt, or with a powerful, muscular, tackle-breaking run-after-catch receiver like Hakeem Nicks.

What type of receiver do you think Parcells is looking for? I'm thinking he wants the jumpball receiver because it is more of a red zone threat and causes some match-up problems for opposing teams.

Your thoughts?

P.S. Don't get me wrong. I think that Hakeem Nicks can also get jumpballs, and I think that Kenny Britt can also break tackles. It just seems that Britt's greatest strength is as a jumpball receiver and Nicks greatest strength is as a tackle-breaking power runner after the catch.

NRA
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
the type who can get seperation and score with consistancy.

a huge 6-4, 220 lb wr with 4.2 speed would be ideal but in
reality, any guy who can come in and put fear in defenses
and score is fine. size DOESNT matter if said wr can put some
much needed points on the board.

MICHAEL CRABTREE is out of the question for the finz but if
HAKEEM NIX [may end up the best wr in the draft] should
fall to us with the grace of the football godz, that is the wr
i would want.

CedarPhin
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Right now I think we're missing a Hakeem Nicks type. I wouldn't mind drafting him.

X-Pacolypse
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
A receiver that's between 6'0-6'3 that can do it all. Run routes, has solid speed, get seperation, great hands, can go over the middle, just basically do the things that a number one WR should do. The Dolphins have a speed WR (Ginn), a possession guy (Camarillo), a slot WR (Bess), and a tall WR (London). The one thing the team doesn't have is that true "do it all" number one.

RoninFin4
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I concur with X-Pacolypse. A Hakeem Nicks type would be my preference. Kenny Britt has always struck me as the "diva" type of WR, and we know how those guys have turned out on a Parcells team.

Nicks reminds me of a mini-Anquan Boldin.

Chainsaw
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
A receiver that's between 6'0-6'3 that can do it all. Run routes, has solid speed, get seperation, great hands, can go over the middle, just basically do the things that a number one WR should do. The Dolphins have a speed WR (Ginn), a possession guy (Camarillo), a slot WR (Bess), and a tall WR (London). The one thing the team doesn't have is that true "do it all" number one.

I agree. Exactly who that might be can be debated. But, we need a guy who is fast and can get over the top to draw some double teams so, Ginn doesn't always get them. That will help get Ginn open for some big plays more often. If that same guy can do the things that Cammy and Bess already do as a possession receiver, then we wouldn't lose anything there. And a powerful elusive guy after the catch is ALWAYS good to have.

I think the guy best fitting that description right now is Nicks.

I am still pissed that we didn't take Boldin. I remember watching that draft and going, damn we need a WR. When he was still there for us, I was excited. All that went out the window with the Moore pick.

I trust this regime to make the right picks for us. Ireland has a real knack for finding diamonds in the rough. So, if we pass on Nicks, there must be another guy he is looking at later who can do the same things I would imagine.

Valandui
01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I am kind of torn between Nicks and Ramses Barden. I would be thrilled to get either of them.

Charlie Brown
01-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Who ever is the fastes/tallest/ and has the best hands

firemanx
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
I would prefer trade our 2b draft pick for Anquan or Chad Johnson. We need a true #1 I dont care how we do it.

slj23
01-31-2009, 07:18 PM
i like them both too we could use either

phishinphin
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
I am kind of torn between Nicks and Ramses Barden. I would be thrilled to get either of them.

The more I see of Barden the more I like him. Could be a bit of a showboat though. But I agree with you. If we could get either Barden or Nicks I would be happy.

3rdandinches
01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Anyone who can catch the ball in clutch situations.

MrEd
01-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Right now I think we're missing a Hakeem Nicks type. I wouldn't mind drafting him.

Yeah, Hakeem NIcks is definitely better than Brit. Hakeem reminds me a little of an Anquan Boldin type.

Hakeem at #25 would be Boldin at a much cheaper price tag, so won't hurt our salary cap, and a little younger too...

MrEd
01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
The more I see of Barden the more I like him. Could be a bit of a showboat though. But I agree with you. If we could get either Barden or Nicks I would be happy.

Nah, Barden is the next Michael Williams/Dwayne Jarrett. In fact, why would you draft Barden when you have his twin on the roster already? Ernest Wilford?

Barden equals = a big guy who can't get separation...we got him already.

If Barden was any good, he'd be a sure first round pick. There's a reason why he is projected a second day pick...he sucks.

phishinphin
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Nah, Barden is the next Michael Williams/Dwayne Jarrett. In fact, why would you draft Barden when you have his twin on the roster already? Ernest Wilford?

Barden equals = a big guy who can't get separation...we got him already.

If Barden was any good, he'd be a sure first round pick. There's a reason why he is projected a second day pick...he sucks.

He sucks? How do you figure? I bet he goes no later than the 3rd round. So by the 96th pick, he will be off the board. He is not rated higher right now because he played for Cal-Poly.

MrEd
01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
He sucks? How do you figure? I bet he goes no later than the 3rd round. So by the 96th pick, he will be off the board. He is not rated higher right now because he played for Cal-Poly.

Dude, Michael Williams went in the first round. Dwayne Jarrett went in the second round. This guy is another Ernest Wilford. Why would you want to cut one Wilford (which messes up our salary cap space) to add another one? There is a reason why he is rated so far down.

the 3rd round? for a guy 6'6"??? Come on dude. Then, during the Senior Bowl, reports came out about his lack of separation. ISn't that what they complained about Wilford about???

Wilford is 6'4"!!! He's had NFL success in JAC. Why draft Barden?

Pass.

phishinphin
01-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude, Michael Williams went in the first round. Dwayne Jarrett went in the second round. This guy is another Ernest Wilford. Why would you want to cut one Wilford (which messes up our salary cap space) to add another one? There is a reason why he is rated so far down.

the 3rd round? for a guy 6'6"??? Come on dude. Then, during the Senior Bowl, reports came out about his lack of separation. ISn't that what they complained about Wilford about???

Wilford is 6'4"!!! He's had NFL success in JAC. Why draft Barden?

Pass.

So in your expert analysis, Barden has no value because some others performance has not been up to par? Do you have a link to these reports about Barden not being able to get separation? Wilford will get cut or traded regardless.

MrEd
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
So in your expert analysis, Barden has no value because some others performance has not been up to par? Do you have a link to these reports about Barden not being able to get separation? Wilford will get cut or traded regardless.

The report was Mike Mayock.

phishinphin
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
The report was Mike Mayock.

I just saw it on the post that has Boomer's draft review. But it also stated that he had an injury late in the week of practice. Either way, I can't wait to see what the draft brings. It's like Christmas in April.

MrEd
01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
I just saw it on the post that has Boomer's draft review. But it also stated that he had an injury late in the week of practice. Either way, I can't wait to see what the draft brings. It's like Christmas in April.

Hey, no doubt. I can't wait either. I think that Hakeem Nicks will be the second WR taken after Crabtree. That's JMO.

I wonder what would Ireland do if Michael Oher dropped to #25? Having re-signed Vernon Carey would he select Oher and slide Carey to RG and start Oher at RT?

This would then move G out of the draft needs for the rest of the draft and we can select say Lou Delmas at #44 and then Ron Brace at #57?

phinfan33
01-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey, no doubt. I can't wait either. I think that Hakeem Nicks will be the second WR taken after Crabtree. That's JMO.

I wonder what would Ireland do if Michael Oher dropped to #25? Having re-signed Vernon Carey would he select Oher and slide Carey to RG and start Oher at RT?

This would then move G out of the draft needs for the rest of the draft and we can select say Lou Delmas at #44 and then Ron Brace at #57?
you're kidding right?!!!! i'd be willing to say that we'll draft 2 OL within the first 4 rds of our draft...a Guard and a Center,and that's if we don't sign Jason Brown in FA...alot of you seem to think&believe that Smiley&Thomas are coming back,and better than before...what if they don't? or they try to,and get hurt again...what then huh? i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we'll select 3 OL in this draft,regardless of what round we're in...

phishinphin
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
you're kidding right?!!!! i'd be willing to say that we'll draft 2 OL within the first 4 rds of our draft...a Guard and a Center,and that's if we don't sign Jason Brown in FA...alot of you seem to think&believe that Smiley&Thomas are coming back,and better than before...what if they don't? or they try to,and get hurt again...what then huh? i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we'll select 3 OL in this draft,regardless of what round we're in...

Wow! That's a pretty bold prediction. I don't see us using almost half our draft on O-line. I would say at most 2 picks on the o-line, 1 on D-line, 2 on LBs, 1 on WR and 1 on DB. Maybe 1 OL and 2 DBs.

RoninFin4
02-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Wow! That's a pretty bold prediction. I don't see us using almost half our draft on O-line. I would say at most 2 picks on the o-line, 1 on D-line, 2 on LBs, 1 on WR and 1 on DB. Maybe 1 OL and 2 DBs.

If Carey isn't re-signed, then Jake Long is the only solid piece of the O-line that managed to stay healthy all year; and even he played through a sprained ankle. Satele's play definitely tailed off in the new offensive system - I'll give him credit for playing with a torn labrum, but it's not that serious of an injury - hell, Chad Johnson played with one all 2008 as well.

Long and Carey are the only two linemen I trust for the long haul. I'd include Smiley, but he's always been injury prone.

I'd hope that at least two or three picks are spent on lineman, with perhaps another added in free agency.

phishinphin
02-01-2009, 12:49 AM
If Carey isn't re-signed, then Jake Long is the only solid piece of the O-line that managed to stay healthy all year; and even he played through a sprained ankle. Satele's play definitely tailed off in the new offensive system - I'll give him credit for playing with a torn labrum, but it's not that serious of an injury - hell, Chad Johnson played with one all 2008 as well.

Long and Carey are the only two linemen I trust for the long haul. I'd include Smiley, but he's always been injury prone.

I'd hope that at least two or three picks are spent on lineman, with perhaps another added in free agency.

I have issues with Carey. He tends to stand around and watch the game. He does not go until the whistle is blown. Watch some film and you will what I am saying.

Satele is going to be fine when he is healthy and has both starting guards in the line up. He will never be a mauler but I think he will be a servicable center.

Where do you get that Smiley is injury prone. And if he is, why did we jump all over him as soon as FA started?

Donald Thomas went down in week 1. So we have no real idea what we have in him. Only that he was receiving a lot of praise and earned a starting spot over the other guards on our roster.

We may pick up 1 FA lineman and draft one. That's about it in my mind.

ssnjamerson
02-01-2009, 02:22 AM
I have liked Barden for a While and I think its because of his production and size. His speed is decent but the more I read about him I dont want him. Every Prospect ranking says he is lazy, His hands are suspect, His routes flat out suck, He takes plays off, Conditioning is terrible, he drops alot of balls, and cant get seperation. His stats are just so good because of bad teams. I mean I guess Derek Hagan could play where he did and score. Well probably not but you get the drift. People are high on Britt but the scouts say hes a primmadonna. Takes off too many plays. But other than that they compare him to Dwayne Bowe. SO I guess he would be good. I just want a guy that acts like Randy Moss and performs like Freddie Mitchell. Nicks they say he lacks elite speed ,not much upside, will not get deep, no YAC. But he could be a good player. I dont think there are really any #1 WR guys in this draft except Crabtree. We obviously dont need a burner if we are sticking with Ginn. GInn gets over the top, Bess is our chain mover that does the dirty work, Cammy is a wes welker type but i think his injury will slow him and he wont be the same. Id be real surprised if he is starting ever again. He can come in sometimes but isnt a big time player. Fasano and Martin score the TD. Thats our problem . When our TE score all the TD. We need a bigger WR that can actually get open downfield and catch the ball. Plus we need a big target for the redzone thats not a TE. WIlford blows I wish we could get a 7th round pick for him. Here are a few players I would like to draft in the 4th round on. SOme will be a FA and we could bring them in to try out.

AUSTIN COLLIE-BYU- I really like this guy if we dont have to spend a high pick on him. Id take him in the 5th. I think he lasts that long and he put up great stats. 6'2"-206lbs--4.52,,40yd. He had 106 receptions, 1538 yds, and 15 TD. And he also returns kicks with a 27 yard return average.

Darius Passmore-Marshall-6'3"--186lbs--4.38 40 yd --He has all the tools to be a great reciever. Great hands, Good after the catch, Big hands, good routes, decent blocker. Would be great value in the 5-7 rounds.

D Byrd-LSU--6'2" -195--4.45--Had a bad year but can play. MOst say he is a 6th round pick. Good value in the 6th. He has been clocked with a sub 4.40 speed so he is a burner.Good hands and a decent rezone threat. No issues and is a team player. When I see him on TV he looks way smaller tha 6'2" I had no idea he was that tall.

Deon Butler--Penn St--5'10" --175lbs--4.43--Penn St best WR, Had better numbers than Williams but his size kills him. Good hands and cant be overthrown.Good route runner, great speed, Can shake CB and get open,

Mike Jones-ASU-6'4"--213lbs--4.5,40--good size, good hands, good routes. WIll prob be ava in the 7th round.

Aaron Kelly-Clemson-6'5"--190lbs--4.52 40--Guy had a down year but who didnt in Clemson. As a Junior he had 88rec.1081 yds, 11 TD. He has great size, great hands, great route runner,tenacity,work ethic, physical , uses body well to shield defenders,If he put on 10 lbs he would be better I think . I would love to draft this guy as I dont think it would take anything better than a 4th round pick.

Jaison Williams-Oregon--6'5"--240--4.6 40. Guy is just slow but would be good in redzone. he would be worth looking at as long as we dont spend any picks except maybe our comp pick or our late 7th. UNDRAFTED

Greg Carr--6'6"--211--4.63 --Good player but obviously will never be a #1 or anything more than a redzone target. Could be moved to TE with his size and slow speed. LATE 7th or UNDRAFTED

Nate Swift-Nebraska-6'2"--200--4.5--Put up good #'s at Nebraska and played good competition. Returns kicks. But has tools to be a good WR. Good hands, Speed needs work, Physical, Good routes. More quick than fast. UNDRAFTED

Marko Mitchell--Nevada--6'3"-210-4.45--Was a good WR at Nevada. He has good hands and size. Gets yards after catch and is hard to tackle. Could develop into a really good pro reciever. 57rec, 1011 yds, 9 tD --4-5th round

Brennan Marion-Tulsa-6'1" --185--4.5--43 red , 1112 yds, 8 TD, Scouts say he ia a big WR blessed with speed, gets YAC, moves great in open field, Loves to play, Student of the game, good conditioning, good routes but needs refinement, hard worker, and willing blocker. But is not strong enough to be a great blocker. Needs to
get stronger and put on a few lbs. But will prob be a late 4th early 5th round pick.

I just dont think there is really any WR that I would spend a 1st day pick on. I know a ton of you on here really like, Britt and Nicks but I just dont think they will or can be a true #1 and thats what we need. Maybe trade a 2nd or 3rd for Chad Johnson and get a Wr in a year or two. Trade for a Laverneous Coles if the Jets dont cut him since he is in last year of contract with Jets, Pennington is a good friend so he knows him well. COles is a good WR that puts up numbers. He had 70 rec ,850 yds, and 7 TD in 2008. He is reliable and would make us better. ANd had Cotchery on the other side plus Brett Favre throwing a million INT's We could try to sign Antonio Bryant who put up big numbers this year. The only thing is which Antonio will you get. He has ahd 2 good years and the rest not so good. Maybe he has come into his own and is ready to be consistent. He had 83 rec,1248 yds, 7TD. I wouldnt mind trading for Braylon Edwards if price is right. I would give them our #25 for a legit #1 WR. Most of you will say no not for a #1 hes not worth it. But he was the #3 pick behind Ronnie Brown in that draft. He had a bad year but Clevland sucked it up. DA played terrible ball. He is only 25 and is better than any WR in this draft. In 2006 he had 61 rec, 884 yds,6 TD IN --2007 80rec,1289 yds, 16 TD and in a year everyone said he sucked he had 55 rec, 873 yds and 3 TD. Fact is that the guy will put up big numbers every year. He had a few drops but who cares. Put him somewhere he can win and get him happy he will explode. We traded picks for Trent Green , AJ Feely
In 2010 here are some free agents that hit the market if they dont sign extensions.
Greg Jennings-This guy would be great.GB would be stupid not to lock him up
2007-53 rec--920yds--12 TD
2008 --80 rec,1292 yds, 9 TD
Braylon Edwards- if he doesnt get traded
Steve Breaston-Playing well being the #3 guy in AZ
Vincent Jackson
Kevin Walter-Reliable
Brandon Marshall--Contract is up and will prob get our of Mile High. Denver might let him walk with his issues. Could be our #1 for years to come. If Joey Porter doesnt like him and that is why he wouldnt come here then bye bye Joey. All in all Im just saying with our schedule as hard as it is next year we are not going back to the playoffs. Unless a miracle happens. So wait on a WR til next year unless its a 4th round or later or if we trade for a legitimate one. Live with what we have.

Dr. Phin
02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I would like the type that is big enough to break tackles and gets YAC based on break-aways and that doesn't need seperation because he just goes up and takes the ball. A cross between Boldin and Moss. Got one of those in the draft??? Crabtree maybe...Maclin possibly...Nicks....

Dolphins101
02-01-2009, 12:33 PM
The best way to rate them is hands, ability to read defences , size then speed. To me a reciver that can catch almost every pass and know where the soft spots in defences and give the QB a goto guys that he can depend on and someone like OJ Mcduffe who was able to move the chains and make the catch. A reciver like that would best fit this team since we are a run 1st team. More long time eating drives and the ability for us to control games and wear down the other teams D.

Just MHO.

Zounds
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
With Pennington throwing the ball, I think we need a quick slot receiver like a Welker type. Someone who can catch a 5 yard pass and turn it into 10 or 15 yrds. When Henne takes over, I think we will need a deep threat who is tall and can jump. I think we will draft a receiver, but not until day 2.

firemanx
02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I think Smiley being injury prone is a little overexagerrated. He got hurt on a freak play this season. If Oher is there possibly trade down which I hope we do anyway because we have needs that could be filled with solid second round drafting.

CedarPhin
02-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Demetrius Byrd from LSU. He tailed off a bit this year, but I think he'd be a guy worth taking a look at in the later rounds.

Is he related to LaRon Byrd, the WR that plays at UM? I think they're both from Louisiana.

Valandui
02-02-2009, 12:35 AM

I think the labrum is a little different when someone's position is pushing people around. Of course I have never torn mine so I don't know for sure.

Dolfan4life34
02-02-2009, 01:55 AM
hakkem nicks reminds me alot of boldin and if he runs like him he will be a 2nd round pick like him

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't mind Demetrius Byrd from LSU. He tailed off a bit this year, but I think he'd be a guy worth taking a look at in the later rounds.

Is he related to LaRon Byrd, the WR that plays at UM? I think they're both from Louisiana.

Actually, both Demetrius and LaRon are from the South Florida area. Demetrius would be exactly the kind of guy the Dolphins would need for that number one role.

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Another guy that I'm big on is a kid out of Western Michigan by the name of Jamarko Simmons. 6'2, 234 lbs, and absolutely loves to block. He reminds me a lot of Hines Ward.