PDA

View Full Version : National Science Foundation funding in jeaopardy over porn



PhinPhan1227
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28933634/

Apparently top staffers spent a bunch of taxpayers time and money surfing for porn on the net. Gotta love that government efficiency. I don't know of any companies bigger than mom and pops that don't have filtering software on their PC's. I guess a government funded companies don't like to have such limitations.

eric1589
02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
im sure message boards wouldnt be so popular if they were blocked by peoples jobs, as well.

PhinPhan1227
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
im sure message boards wouldnt be so popular if they were blocked by peoples jobs, as well.

If a private company wants to permit MB access, that's up to them. When surfing the net and posting on boards is funded by taxpayers, not so much.

Marino613
02-04-2009, 01:36 AM
If a private company wants to permit MB access, that's up to them. When surfing the net and posting on boards is funded by taxpayers, not so much.

Good point! Although, leaving out the porn question I do think there is room for people working hard to relax a bit on the job. My boss doesn't mind if I take breaks every now and then and post on an MB. He also knows I work my behind off on weekends and late nights because of the type of job I have so if I veg out for a bit he understands.

I assume if people found out that time was spent on an MB, they would not be as upset because porn is taboo (for good and bad reasons IMO). If the NSF met some reasonable short term and long term goals that would justify the tax burden, I doubt many people would care at all if the NSF staff took some time to relax in the office and use their computers for non-work related goals if they were getting their jobs done reasonably well. Maybe the guy who spent 20% of his time on porn (or if you prefer here on FH) also does great work in the other 80% of his time? If they are doing their jobs well I don't mind if they use the stamp machine to mail their rent in and their phones to make the occasional international call. It's how you keep the employees happy and committed.

Tetragrammaton
02-04-2009, 03:06 AM
I love it. The conservatives find an instance of slacking off, and now they have an excuse to try and demolish a segment of government.

If he was so worried about time wasted, the next times the Republicans get together he should tell Arlen Specter to stop with the Spygate nonsense.

The employees should be reprimanded, but he is being fanatical.

PhinPhan1227
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Good point! Although, leaving out the porn question I do think there is room for people working hard to relax a bit on the job. My boss doesn't mind if I take breaks every now and then and post on an MB. He also knows I work my behind off on weekends and late nights because of the type of job I have so if I veg out for a bit he understands.

I assume if people found out that time was spent on an MB, they would not be as upset because porn is taboo (for good and bad reasons IMO). If the NSF met some reasonable short term and long term goals that would justify the tax burden, I doubt many people would care at all if the NSF staff took some time to relax in the office and use their computers for non-work related goals if they were getting their jobs done reasonably well. Maybe the guy who spent 20% of his time on porn (or if you prefer here on FH) also does great work in the other 80% of his time? If they are doing their jobs well I don't mind if they use the stamp machine to mail their rent in and their phones to make the occasional international call. It's how you keep the employees happy and committed.

Agreed, but what you describe requires good management. People who can find that nice blend of discipline and nurturing. That kind of quality managment isn't exactly wildly in evidence in government agencies.

PhinPhan1227
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I love it. The conservatives find an instance of slacking off, and now they have an excuse to try and demolish a segment of government.

If he was so worried about time wasted, the next times the Republicans get together he should tell Arlen Specter to stop with the Spygate nonsense.

The employees should be reprimanded, but he is being fanatical.


Actually, the muttonheads who didn't spring for filtering software should be fired. And the managers should probably be demoted.