PDA

View Full Version : Team USA

CHOPS44
02-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Are you guys watching this olympic hockey?

Let me start by saying that if you're a hockey fan, but aren't watching this, you are doing yourself the biggest injustice possible. I'm a very big hockey fan, but this is the greatest hockey I've ever seen in my life!
There are some rule changes from the NHL. Such as no red line, which eliminates two line pass penalties. After a whistle the ref has 15 seconds to drop the puck, even if the teams aren't ready! That leads to speedier line changes. All of that added to the fact that the ice is 15 feet wider leads to WIDE OPEN END TO END ACTION! Not the sloppy crap though. I'm talking clean crisp great defensive hockey with the best players in the world. The NHL shut down to let all the players play for their home countries.
It's not like the Dream Team. The NHL is very international. Right now there are 5 teams that could win gold.
Team USA is one of those. In their first game they shut out Finland 6-0. Last night they were badly outplayed by the Russian National team, but forced their will on big red the final 10 minutes of the game. They rallied to a tie. Brett Hull, the man with a wrist shot that inspires poets, flicked one over the right shoulder of the Bouiln Wall.

Please check it out.

iceblizzard69
02-17-2002, 11:04 PM
I am not a hockey fan, but I watched some of it last night (USA vs. Russia) but I only turned it on because I though SNL would be on. I love the Summer Olympics but the Winter ones have some dumb crap. I saw this thing where they had to go cross country skiing but in the middle they had to go to a range and shoot these targets. I was trying to figure out what the hell the two things had in common. The only stuff I like in the Winter games is the bobsled, Halfpipe (snowboarding is awesome and although some of the best USA ones don't compete in the Olympics, it was still cool), and skeleton (which will kick ass.) I saw some speed skating last night, Ohno is cool but its predictable, people lead and then fall at the end.

iceblizzard69
02-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Another thing-Double luge is the gayest sport I have ever seen. If you ever see it, you will agree with me.

Dajesus
02-17-2002, 11:17 PM
You are correct Chops. I have trouble wathcing any of the game that USA aren't involved though. Man were they out played. I think USA took to many of the older NHL stars. They seemed to just get out skated last night. Richter played 1 hell of a game. Just curious do you know the remaining schedule for USA?

baccarat
02-18-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by CHOPS44
Are you guys watching this olympic hockey?

Let me start by saying that if you're a hockey fan, but aren't watching this, you are doing yourself the biggest injustice possible. I'm a very big hockey fan, but this is the greatest hockey I've ever seen in my life!
There are some rule changes from the NHL. Such as no red line, which eliminates two line pass penalties. After a whistle the ref has 15 seconds to drop the puck, even if the teams aren't ready! That leads to speedier line changes. All of that added to the fact that the ice is 15 feet wider leads to WIDE OPEN END TO END ACTION! Not the sloppy crap though. I'm talking clean crisp great defensive hockey with the best players in the world. The NHL shut down to let all the players play for their home countries.
It's not like the Dream Team. The NHL is very international. Right now there are 5 teams that could win gold.
Team USA is one of those. In their first game they shut out Finland 6-0. Last night they were badly outplayed by the Russian National team, but forced their will on big red the final 10 minutes of the game. They rallied to a tie. Brett Hull, the man with a wrist shot that inspires poets, flicked one over the right shoulder of the Bouiln Wall.

Please check it out.

I only watch NHL hockey, and I hate Brett Hull. That no good, cheating, Son of a guy who is way better than him at hockey!

Dajesus
02-18-2002, 01:17 AM
booyeah are you a Sabers fan?

baccarat
02-18-2002, 01:28 AM
What gave it away?

CHOPS44
02-18-2002, 11:45 AM
The USA team is scheduled to play today at 1:00 eastern. There are actually two games today so I'm not sure which one is first. USA might wind up playing at like 4.

As for the Brett Hull debate. I can understand your pain, but that series was over anyway. Try living with blowing 2 third period goal leads of 2 and 3 in games one and two in the finals. That's what my Blackhawks did waaaay back in 92. That was Pittsburghs first stanley cup.

I love the way Team Russia and Sweeden play.
I think USA will be ok. Yes, they're old, but it was a back to back game for them, plus Richter second goal was a weak one.(He did play great though.) I'd rather see Dunham get some more playing time against a contender.

Phinmaster1354
02-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Team Sweden has been the most impressive team thus far! They had Jagr totally frustrated last night! Sundin has been pretty awesome!Plus they are getting good goaltending from Salo which doesn't hurt!! They dominated CANADA and then beat a very good Czech team last night!

Rebar71
02-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Major hockey fan here! This Olympic hockey has been some of the best I've ever seen. In addition to some of the rule differences and the overall intensity level, the officiating is much better. It's been so much more consistent than the officiating in the NHL. Which is kind of interesting, considering the two games USA has played so far were officiated by NHL referees. If they can be consistent for the Olympics, why not the NHL?

dolfan06
02-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I am not a hockey fan, but I watched some of it last night (USA vs. Russia) but I only turned it on because I though SNL would be on. I love the Summer Olympics but the Winter ones have some dumb crap. I saw this thing where they had to go cross country skiing but in the middle they had to go to a range and shoot these targets. I was trying to figure out what the hell the two things had in common. The only stuff I like in the Winter games is the bobsled, Halfpipe (snowboarding is awesome and although some of the best USA ones don't compete in the Olympics, it was still cool), and skeleton (which will kick ass.) I saw some speed skating last night, Ohno is cool but its predictable, people lead and then fall at the end. i'm not sure, but the biathelon was introduced to the olympics by a scandenavian country. the skiing and shooting involves what they had to do during the war in the winter time. i'll admit some of the contests are pretty worthless, but when you think about the competition at that altitude and in that cold, it adds a whole new meaning.
and i agree, that two man luge is so stupid, i can't believe the olympics are wasting their time with it.
on the freestyle skiing, where you come down a hill and launch into the air like a ski jump, they were asking $1000 a ticket for that crap!

iceblizzard69
02-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dolfan06
i'm not sure, but the biathelon was introduced to the olympics by a scandenavian country. the skiing and shooting involves what they had to do during the war in the winter time. i'll admit some of the contests are pretty worthless, but when you think about the competition at that altitude and in that cold, it adds a whole new meaning.
and i agree, that two man luge is so stupid, i can't believe the olympics are wasting their time with it.
on the freestyle skiing, where you come down a hill and launch into the air like a ski jump, they were asking $1000 a ticket for that crap!

Freestyling skiing is kinda cool, but skiing is dumb in general. Snowboarding is a lot better than skiing. And why do you know that its called a biathelon? :lol:

dolfan25
02-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Is a historical sport from Scandinavia, I believe it originates like dolfan06 said from Scandinavia but I don't think it was the war, Did Norway or Sweden fight in the war? I think they did it first when they would hunt for food, cross country ski and then go out and shoot their dinner. It is a weird sport that I have never watched but what is so hard to do in the Biathalon is the shooting. Imagine going all out and then having to stop and hit a target a long ways away. It might not seem that difficult but try hitting a target when you are trying to catch your breath. Biatheletes are famous for their breath control and getting their heart rate down quickly(they'd do great in the Chair)it's hard to shoot when your body is huffing and puffing to catch their breath.

As for the Hockey, Go CANADA, they played like **** their first 2 games. Man I wish we had Patrick Roy and Joe Thornton their.Lastly CHOPS44 the Chicago Stanley Cup was Pittsburgh's second, the year before they beat the Minnesota North Stars.

CHOPS44
02-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Phinmaster1354
Team Sweden has been the most impressive team thus far! They had Jagr totally frustrated last night! Sundin has been pretty awesome!Plus they are getting good goaltending from Salo which doesn't hurt!! They dominated CANADA and then beat a very good Czech team last night!

Sweeden has looked very tough. Can you imagine if Foresburg was healthy? Scarey. That "torpedo" system they're running just gives them an edge right now in the early going. By the time USA plays them, hopefully we have figured out an answer for it.

I think I already have one....

That offense has the wingers criss-crossing from end to end hoping to get lost, if our defensemen stay at home and have our wingers shadow theirs, it might frustrate them and make them turn the puck over on some of those long passes they throw. That will cause odd-man breaks for us. Regardless we need our goaltending to be on....way on.

CHOPS44
02-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25

As for the Hockey, Go CANADA, they played like **** their first 2 games. Man I wish we had Patrick Roy and Joe Thornton their.Lastly CHOPS44 the Chicago Stanley Cup was Pittsburgh's second, the year before they beat the Minnesota North Stars. [/B]

Are you sure? I thought that Stanley Cup is what put Jagr on the map. Then they rolled next year taking out Minnesota, who was the surprise team.

The year before the finals, the Blackhawks lost to the Oilers in the WC finals. They went on to win the cup without Gretzky.

Also why isn't Roy playing? Is he hurt? Or did Wayne just not pick him? They should stick with Martin over Cujo.

I think Canada's problem is they're running the dump and chase way too much. Their team speed is better than everyone else's. They should run a more wide-open attack. I also noticed that they're shooting way too much(believe it or not, that's bad in the Olympics.) they should pass more across the rink, get the goalie's going east and west. The North American style won't win gold, that's for sure.

Rebar71
02-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Also why isn't Roy playing? Is he hurt? Or did Wayne just not pick him? They should stick with Martin over Cujo.

Roy pulled himself out of contention saying that he wanted to rest up for the play-offs. IMO, his ego was bruised by not being named a starter when the first roster announcements were made last year.

I think Canada's problem is they're running the dump and chase way too much. Their team speed is better than everyone else's. They should run a more wide-open attack. I also noticed that they're shooting way too much(believe it or not, that's bad in the Olympics.) they should pass more across the rink, get the goalie's going east and west. The North American style won't win gold, that's for sure.

I think Canada's problem is that they feel they deserve just because they're Canadian. They forgot they have to actually play. I think their captain might be a problem too. Don't get me wrong, Lemieux is one helluva hockey player - but if he's not healthy enough to play in ALL of Canada's games, then he should've pulled himself out in favor of someone who is. Instead he put his own selfish pursuits first. He's again picking and choosing which games he plays in. He's the captain - what do you think that says to the rest of the team? They would've been better served with Joe Thornton.

Canada needs to focus and play a solid game from start to finish. Otherwise, I don't see them getting past their quarterfinal match on Wednesday. They will be playing either Finland or Russia and it will be a tough game either way even if they do show up ready to play.

That being said...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif USA! http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif USA! http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif USA! http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dolfan06
02-18-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Freestyling skiing is kinda cool, but skiing is dumb in general. Snowboarding is a lot better than skiing. And why do you know that its called a biathelon? :lol: its easy to figure out why its called a biathalon. its 2 sports, like the decathalon is 10 sports.

i,m not sure, but in world war 1 didn't norway patrol its coast with a ski patrol?

FFiB
02-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey, I am mighty proud of my german team. Ranked 20th they created a small sensation by advancing from the preliminary round. Yeah, we got clobbered by the Czechs but we played a toughy against Canada. Today we will be clobbered again (Sweden)...but what the heck.

Today is the last game day of the final round. After today the round robin of the medal round begins.

1. of group A vs 4. of group B
2. of group A vs 3. of group B
3. of group A vs 2. of group B
4. of group A vs 1. of group B

One group is completed:

USA
Finnland
Russia
Belarus

1st pairing is also said:

USA vs Germany.

USA won their group and even if Germany would win they can not be better than last place (4th).

Most likely other pairings....

Sweden vs Belarus
Canada or Czech vs Finnland
Canada or Czech vs Russia
and of course...USA vs Germany

It sure is excitying hockey. I love the "no two line" rule.

CHOPS44
02-18-2002, 09:04 PM
I keep hearing that the Germans(their head coach in particular) want team USA. Something to do with the "miracle 80" team. If they weren't upset by USA then the whole miracle thing never would have happened. He's playing with fire. Team USA is playing like a team that's been together for 5 years.

Who did the Germans upset to reach Olympic play?

FFiB
02-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Who did they upset? LOL

They had to go through two extra qualifications. The seeding is based on the 1999 and 1998 World standings. When Germany came to the Olympics they were ranked 20th. No team particiapating (including preliminaries) were ranked worse than 14.

In Germany's preliminary group the Slowaks were the top team followed by Austria.

Germany was expected to lose all 3 preliminary games which made our coach comment like that before the Olympics: "why even bother. I'd rather be fishing".

Well they won all 3 games (Slovaks, Austria and Latvia).

Germany has only two NHL players and the color commentator put it in the right perspective by saying: "Germany playing in the final round is like putting the Carolina Panthers and the St Louis Rams on the same level"....LOL

Of course besides Germany I also root for the US.

I don't know what the comments were but Germany was never upset. They were hardly favorites in any game in the last 20-30 years. German hockey on an international level is second divsion or third world country like at best.

dolfan06
02-19-2002, 01:29 AM
in all the events i named, the biathlon, decathlon and the pentathlon, i've been putting an extra "A" in there.

btw, in 1980, the USA boycotted the olympics! does anybody remember why?

:rolleyes:

;)

we were protesting the soviet invasion of afghanistan!:goof:

iceblizzard69
02-19-2002, 09:37 AM
I never knew they played hockey in Germany. When I was there, the only sport I heard about was soccer.

dolfan06
02-20-2002, 10:23 AM
6PM est, MSNBC:D

dolfan06
02-20-2002, 11:19 AM
when it comes to the olympics this year, i don't think i'm ever gonna give out times again. last night they said the hockey game was at 6 EST, now msnbc says 1PM est. the only thing i can suggest, its today, turn your tv on and wait!:D :yell: :yell:

Rebar71
02-20-2002, 12:45 PM
I have my VCR programmed to tape it at 3pm PT.

Their website - NBCOympics.com (http://www.nbcolympics.com/x/m/oa/sched.asp?view=spt&spt=ih&0dm=027Fu) - still says 6pm ET/3pm PT for the USA/Germany game. If I get home from work and find out they changed it, I'm gonna be livid!

dolfan25
02-24-2002, 10:47 PM
The US boycotted the Moscow games because the USSR invaded Afghanistan or that is why Jimmy Carter said they did.

dolfan06
02-24-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
The US boycotted the Moscow games because the USSR invaded Afghanistan or that is why Jimmy Carter said they did. i know, if you read my entire post, i said that! go back and scroll down!;)