PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers

DKphin
02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
In this thread I will be giving what I feel will be the overlooked or not being talked about players that deserve a look. Periodically, I will be adding to this thread up until the draft. There will be more than the ones I mention, but I will limit this to the ones that are in positions of needs for the Dolphins. So let's start:

1.Cornelius Lewis OT(TSU) 6'4" 324lbs.
A transfer from Florida St. to Tennessee St. At the practices and during the game at the Texas vs. Nation was the most dominate OL. In one-on-one match-ups, he was unbeatable. He really understands how to use his hands and feet to prevent the defender from threatening the QB. He could shift inside, but I see him as more of a RT to challenge Carey or to takeover if he leaves.

firemanx
02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
What about Dominique Edison? 6'3 200lb WR who runs a 4.5. The dude avg 15.2 ypc With 18 TD's this past season, and avg 84 PYG.

DKphin
02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
2. Dominique Johnson CB(Jackson St.)6'1"190
While he is not the prospect that Dominique-Rogers Cromartie was, he is not far behind. He possess excellent ball skills and speed running a 4.39/40. He is a former Missouri Tiger and finished his senior campaign with 4 ints.

DKphin
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
What about Dominique Edison? 6'3 200lb WR who runs a 4.5. The dude avg 15.2 ypc With 18 TD's this past season, and avg 84 PYG.

Edison has been clocked as fast as 4.3 and as slow as 4.55. The scouts were raving about him at the Texas vs Nation game. He has great hands and at 6'2", superior height. In an interview recently, he stated that if he is drafted he doesn't want to play anywhere cold. How much intelligence does this show? What does it say about his personality? Are we looking at another TO? A guy with superior ability that thinks what he does on the field is all about him rather than the team? He'll have to learn that this is the NFL, not college. Be thankful that you are getting the opportunity at the Pros and be thankful wherever you go. There are only a handful of people in the world that get a shot at making a living while playing this great game.

wildvillage519
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
My Sleepers:

Frantz Joseph ILB-Florida Atlantic

Herb Donaldson RB-Western Illinosis

Robert Brewster OT-BAll St.

Brennon Marion WR-Tulsa

Sammie Hill DT-Stillman (Not sure if he's a sleeper anymore, but he was when I put him in my mock on 1/21)

DKphin
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
3.Frantz Joseph ILB(FAU) 6'2" 243lbs
I've seen two different places that have him listed at 6'3" 236 and 6'2" 243. He's a thumper for the Owls but you have to consider the competition. I have not seen him play, but the biggest knock on him is that he is too aggressive. Well, I would call that an asset for a MLB as long as he can be coached to make that controlled aggression. He only runs a 4.75, which is pretty slow by NFL standards. He had a pick and fumble recovery that contributed to the win in the Nation vs Texas game. He has got instincts for the game. Hopefully with the right coaching he can get to around 245lbs. and still knock a little off his 40 time to something under 4.7. All-Sunbelt and on the Butkus watch list, he is projected to go in the 4th. Anything after the 4th would be good value.

ssnjamerson
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I like Sammie Lee Hill and Dom Johnson alot. Johnson has shutdown potential and Hill is a monster NT. Johnson I like in the 3rd or 4th round and Hill I like in the 7th. But here are a few more players that I like also

OL
Tim Henderson-OG-Northwestern State--6'2",330lbs,5.2/40
Joel Bell-OT-Furman-6'7",312lbs,5.20/40
Roger Allen-OG-Mizz Western--6'4",315lbs,5.39/40
Nicholas Hennessey-OG-Colgate-6'6",293lbs,5.29/40
Samuel Allen-Grand Valley-6'6",300lbs,5.00/40
Adrian Brown-Delaware St-6'5",327lbs,5.09/40
Colin Dow-Montana-Center-6'5",304
Tim Silver-Richmond-6'6",315,5.12/40

LB
Jaison Williams-Western Illinois--OLB-6'1",240,4.59/40
Lee Robinson-Alcorn State-6'2",249,4.59/40

CB
Don Carey-Norfolk St-5'11",194lbs,4.47/40
Ladarius Webb-Nichols St-5'9",175,4.49/40
Daren Banks-West Liberty St-5'9",178lbs,4.5/403
Dominic Spinks/Monterio James CB-Delta St
Sean Smalls-UMASS-6'0",200,4.5/40
Jackie Bates-CB-Hampton-5'9",180,4.4/40
David Hyland-CB-Moorehead St-6'1",187,4.48/40
S/FS
Dre Mail Hardin-Stillman-6,195lbs,4.51/40

DE
Lawerence Sidbury-Richmond-6'2",265lbs,4.75/40
Joe Crawford-Tiffin-6'5",275,4.7/40

CedarPhin
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Dow might not be a bad pick. Montana usually produces decent linemen.

MrEd
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
In this thread I will be giving what I feel will be the overlooked or not being talked about players that deserve a look. Periodically, I will be adding to this thread up until the draft. There will be more than the ones I mention, but I will limit this to the ones that are in positions of needs for the Dolphins. So let's start:

1.Cornelius Lewis OT(TSU) 6'4" 324lbs.
A transfer from Florida St. to Tennessee St. At the practices and during the game at the Texas vs. Nation was the most dominate OL. In one-on-one match-ups, he was unbeatable. He really understands how to use his hands and feet to prevent the defender from threatening the QB. He could shift inside, but I see him as more of a RT to challenge Carey or to takeover if he leaves.

I'd rather have the behemoth Herman Johnson the 6'8" 380 LBS RT/RG in the 4th round.

wildvillage519
02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I like Sammie Lee Hill and Dom Johnson alot. Johnson has shutdown potential and Hill is a monster NT. Johnson I like in the 3rd or 4th round and Hill I like in the 7th. But here are a few more players that I like also

OL
Tim Henderson-OG-Northwestern State--6'2",330lbs,5.2/40
Roger Allen-OG-Mizz Western--6'4",315lbs,5.39/40
Nicholas Hennessey-OG-Colgate-6'6",293lbs,5.29/40
Samuel Allen-Grand Valley-6'6",300lbs,5.00/40
Adrian Brown-Delaware St-6'5",327lbs,5.09/40
Colin Dow-Montana-Center-6'5",304
Tim Silver-Richmond-6'6",315,5.12/40

LB
Jaison Williams-Western Illinois--OLB-6'1",240,4.59/40
Lee Robinson-Alcorn State-6'2",249,4.59/40

CB
Don Carey-Norfolk St-5'11",194lbs,4.47/40
Ladarius Webb-Nichols St-5'9",175,4.49/40
Daren Banks-West Liberty St-5'9",178lbs,4.5/403
Dominic Spinks/Monterio James CB-Delta St
Sean Smalls-UMASS-6'0",200,4.5/40
Jackie Bates-CB-Hampton-5'9",180,4.4/40
David Hyland-CB-Moorehead St-6'1",187,4.48/40
S/FS
Dre Mail Hardin-Stillman-6,195lbs,4.51/40

DE
Lawerence Sidbury-Richmond-6'2",265lbs,4.75/40
Joe Crawford-Tiffin-6'5",275,4.7/40
The only guys I kind of like from your list below is Lawrence Sidbury, Lee Robinson, and Joel Bell. But Joel Bell needs to get alot stronger before he could make it in the NFL. He would be a practice squad guy who may take 2 years before making the 53 man roster. He does have potetial though.

DKphin
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I'd rather have the behemoth Herman Johnson the 6'8" 380 LBS RT/RG in the 4th round.

I don't think you would call Herman Johnson a sleeper.:rolleyes2:

lbmclean_sj
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
My Sleepers:
Brennon Marion WR-Tulsa

30 YPC!!!!!!!

talk about a wild prospect

X-Pacolypse
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
30 YPC!!!!!!!

The offense that Gus Mahlzahn ran in Tulsa really put up some crazy numbers this past season.

skipp2myloo13
02-09-2009, 06:15 PM
The offense that Gus Mahlzahn ran in Tulsa really put up some crazy numbers this past season.

and their d fense was terrible every game was fun to watch

SuavePhin
02-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Dow might not be a bad pick. Montana usually produces decent linemen.

quoted for truth, homerism aside :foundout: i think he could be better then Satale :up:

I am Bane
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
ILB- Jason Phillips (TCU)

dr.jake
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
here's a late round sleeper pick. northeastern's brian mandeville 6'6" 250lb TE with great hands.i saw this kid play a couple times this year and left impressed. a converted DE he suffered a knee injury late in the year but he returned strong. if he's still on the board late or better yet undrafted like bess i'd hope we grab him quick.

makaw
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
how about Dan Gagnon out of LU? Not a great tackler or physical force but great pass coevrage guy.

ckparrothead
02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I'll try to stick with mainly people I've watched play more...but I do think Frantz Joseph sounds like an excellent sleeper from what I've read about him.

At linebacker, Kaluka Maiava. He is the true unsung hero of that USC defense. Because he's not the physical behemoth that you see in Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews, the guy gets no attention. But Linebackers Coach Ken Norton Jr. has been quoted as saying that Kaluka Maiava may be the best linebacker of all three players between he, Cushing and Maualuga, and teammates have said that Maiava is like the glue that holds the defense together. He played about as much as anyone else in that defense and he made plays, including getting MVP in the bowl game. He doesn't have GREAT size but he doesn't have awful size either, around 6'0" or 6'1", maybe 235 to 240 pounds (you should think of these sizes in ranges, IMO). He has a motor that always runs, he's smart as heck, and I love that the kid can weed through trash even though he's smaller. He's all football too. He's Dwayne Johnson's (The Rock's) nephew but all he thinks about is football, he works out constantly, and he just loves to get to work.

Another true linebacker I think is worthy of mention is Michael Tauliili of Duke. He has a past, but he gathered 140 tackles (which equates to like 187 tackles in an NFL 16 game season), 13 TFLs, and 3 Forced Fumbles and 4 Interceptions at Duke playing in the ACC. We're talking interceptions against Virginia, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and North Carolina, not against the James Madisons of the college landscape. He's another guy that because he's around 5'10" to 5'11" and 235 pounds (with ability to get to 240 I'm sure), he's sort of left by the wayside...yet he went to the East West Shrine Game and really made plays, was all over the ball had something like 13 tackles.

At cornerback I have to go with Chris Owens and Don Carey. Owens I've seen play at San Jose State and I love his toughness, how he flies to the ball and is a tackle machine, and that he can snag passes off the quarterback. He has good speed and quickness and even though he doesn't have ideal size and bigger WRs can use their bodies to shield the ball from him, he has potential to get better and be a good player and he stood out as one of the top two players at the Texas vs. Nation all star practices. Carey has good length to him and I just like his ability to run and stay in a player's hip pocket. He stood out in Shrine practices and the game itself. There are some other corners I like late, like Ryan Mouton of Hawaii.

At safety, my sleepers would be Keith Fitzhugh and Otis Wiley. Wiley really shouldn't be considered a sleeper at all but he's not getting much play in the rankings and both players are projected 5th to 6th round by NFL Draft Scout, so they qualify for me. Coaches in the Big Ten know who Wiley is, they voted him All Big Ten First Team. He is a safety but he had to play nickel CB for his team all season and he played it well. He's a smart player with good size at 6'2" and 210 pounds, he has quickness and I like his ability to read the QB's eyes and the WR's routes. He's no Louis Delmas but, he's also not THAT far away. Keith Fitzhugh stood out as a real fireplug in the Shrine Game and going back and watching some more Mississippi State games, he really stands out as the same. Sometimes, I'd swear this is the guy that projects as a better pro than Derek Pegues. He's very aggressive and has a natural feel for avoiding junk on his way to the ball. I think either player could play special teams, and I also think either guy could play some nickel or dime safety, as well as possibly free safety.

At DE, I think Maiava's teammate Kyle Moore definitely qualifies. He plays on a defense where I don't think he's designed to make a bunch of plays, but he does make plays behind the line of scrimmage, he does stand out at you on tape as being very strong and active, and he impressed in All Star showings. Gotta love his 6'5" and 265 pound size, too. He beat San Jose State's Jeff Schweiger for a job even though Schweiger was the more highly recruited guy. Speaking of which he's not a terrible player himself and might be worth a UDFA look.

I really think Daryl Richard is worth looking at for a later round Defensive Tackle. The guy is very strong and plays with good leverage, and he's smart. He fires out low in short yardage and he really started to come into it later in the season and through the All Star season. At 6'3" and 306 he is Jason Ferguson's size, and I think he plays a bit like Ferg, too.

DKphin
02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
4. Darius Passmore WR(Marshall) 6'1" 190lbs.
Only a 2-year starter for the Thundering Herd(God, I love that name). He is fluid and athletic. Listed as a 4.5/40 guy, he has been clocked as fast as 4.3. He lines up at QB in their Racehorse formation(Wildcat). The only knock on him is that he catches too many balls in his body. He will definitely have to work on that at the next level.

WelcomeBack
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Anyone that mentions Kaluka Maiava is spot on. While Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews and Mays were getting all the praise on the defense, I would say Maiava is the most consistent out of all of them. I watched pretty much all USC games this year, and I'd love to have Kaluka on the Phins.

He is a player, plain and simple.

Avigatorx
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0 - 204lbs - Oklahoma

This kid is tough as nails, knows how to catch and knows how to get open.

He lacks some speed, but his quickness, route running, hands, and toughness make up for that.

I think he would make a nice possession receiver, maybe a late 2nd or 3rd round pick up.

wildvillage519
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0 - 204lbs - Oklahoma

This kid is tough as nails, knows how to catch and knows how to get open.

He lacks some speed, but his quickness, route running, hands, and toughness make up for that.

I think he would make a nice possession receiver, maybe a late 2nd or 3rd round pick up.
I'm not sure I would cosider him a sleeper. I agree he is a pretty good player though.

Avigatorx
02-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure I would cosider him a sleeper. I agree he is a pretty good player though.

Ya, your probably right, he's not a sleeper in the sense that noone saw him coming.

I was working more under the idea that a sleeper is someone that is highly underrated.

I see Inglesias as someone that could be first round talent stolen in later rounds.

I also think he fits the mold of someone our FO is looking for; Plays through injury, not afraid to make the catch across the middle, good blocker on run plays, etc...

Elliott 1
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Ryan Mouton at CB/KR Stephen Hodge SS Keegan Herring RB Jorvorskie Lane FB

Glover quinn CB Curtis Crouch OG

I think I would vote Hodge most likely to succeed.

ckparrothead
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Just spent a lot of time reviewing Shawn Nelson at TE. Criminally underused at times in Southern Miss' spread passing attack, a TE that lean with that much speed and quickness should really not be as strong a blocker as he is. He can regularly take on DEs and actually work them off the line of scrimmage. And, not just crap DEs...Brandon Lang is a pretty darn good prospect. He also has the feet, balance and technique to stay in front of DBs when blocking them further upfield.

Also as a receiving TE you could certainly do worse than Darius Hill. I've spent a lot of time watching Ball State and Nate Davis and Hill just constantly stands out. He can challenge the deep middle and he's got the jumping ability to be a real threat in the red zone. He just doesn't block so well, certianly not as well as Nelson or Brian Mandeville.

Coye Francies is going to be excellent, excellent value.

X-Pacolypse
02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Only a 2-year starter for the Thundering Herd(God, I love that name). He is fluid and athletic. Listed as a 4.5/40 guy, he has been clocked as fast as 4.3. He lines up at QB in their Racehorse formation(Wildcat). The only knock on him is that he catches too many balls in his body. He will definitely have to work on that at the next level.

I really like Darius Passmore, he's dedinately a guy that you want to keep an eye out for.

DKphin
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
4. Brandon Swain DE(West Texas A&M) 6'3" 255lbs.
Viewed by many as the best DII Defensive Linemen. Plays bigger and faster than 255lbs. and 4.75/40. He has long arms to keep the offensive blockers from getting into his body. Sudden off the ball. Physically strong and relentless in his pass rush. Can be converted as a 3-4 OLB, but comfortable with his hand in the dirt. Maybe a bit of a tweener, but I've seen Porter in a 3-point stance a lot.

SamIam
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Joe Burnett CB - Central Florida
Philip Hunt DE/OLB - Houston
Victor Butler DE/OLB - Oregon St

Bellson
02-18-2009, 07:43 PM

JOE BURNETT = SOLID SLEEPER PICK!!

skipp2myloo13
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Ck, where do you think Maiava will go. i would like him in the 4th or 5th.

CedarPhin
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Zack Follett, the LB from Cal.

123KID
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
kool thread thanks

DKphin
02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
5. D.J. Clark S(Idaho St.) 6'2" 200lbs.
2008 All-Big Sky 2nd team. He has great speed for a Safety, 4.4/40. Finished 4th on the team in tackles with 58 in 2008. Led the Bengals in ints. all 4 years. He's a big, physical Safety. Only question is level of competition.

foycore79
02-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Sean Smith CB Utah love this pick he will be a top corner,and Although I love Hakeem Knicks and I would rank him behind Crabtree my other sleeper will be the guy who played across from him Brandon Tate

FinaticalOne
02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
CB - Mark Parson - Ohio - 5'10 193 lbs

He's been my sleeper from day one. He's projected to run in the 4.3 range and I've heard he can press 19-22 reps of 225 :jawdrop: . If his bench press results are in the 20s, he shoots up the boards quickly.

Elliott 1
02-20-2009, 01:53 AM
D.J. Clark S(Idaho St.) 6'2" 200lbs.
2008 All-Big Sky 2nd team. He has great speed for a Safety, 4.4/40. Finished 4th on the team in tackles with 58 in 2008. Led the Bengals in ints. all 4 years. He's a big, physical Safety. Only question is level of competition.

How does somebody with his measureables and that many interceptions fly completely under the radar?

Draft Scout has him as a CB and ranked 46th.

I don't get it. Let's draft him with our last 7th and develope him as FS.

Now this is a sleeper.

DKphin
02-20-2009, 02:46 AM
How does somebody with his measureables and that many interceptions fly completely under the radar?

Draft Scout has him as a CB and ranked 46th.

I don't get it. Let's draft him with our last 7th and develope him as FS.

Now this is a sleeper.
I think when you play at Idaho St., a lot of the places on the web consider a player from this type of school in a different light than someone who plays at a BCS school. You can bet the scouts are aware of his abilities. But even with some scouts, I think some players fly under the radar. Remember, I'm only going by what I read and I have not actually evaluated the guy. There may be something I don't know about.

DKphin
02-23-2009, 04:14 AM
6. Andy Kemp OG(Wisconsin) 6'6" 315lbs.
Has been an Academic All-Big 10 the last 3yrs. 2nd team All-Big 10 as a Senior. Extremely tough and physical. Hard worker with a high football I.Q. Gets a great push in run game. Is not very good in space, but is great when he is in a phone booth at the Guard position.

DKphin
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
7. Julius Pruitt WR(Ouachita Baptist) 6'2" 210lbs.
(The following will give a little info on this unknown)
He comes from a small college that no one has ever heard of, in the Gulf South Conference. He not the fastest guy in the world, 4.5/40, but he has size.Pruitt set a school record and career record in his final collegiate game against Henderson State with 250 receiving yards on 10 catches in a 43-36 victory. The senior wide receiver finishes this season with 77 catches for 1,116 yards and 11 touchdowns. He averaged 111.6 yards per game. He ranks just second all-time in receiving yards in a career with 2,406. Only Doug Freeze’s mark of 2,453 is better. Pruitt, who was an All-Gulf South Conference second team player last season, set a school records this past season in receptions with 171 and holds the single-season mark with 77. He is also second in all-time career touchdowns among receivers at OBU. Freeze holds the mark with 26, while Pruitt finished his four-year career with 24. Pruitt, who was tabbed First-Team All-Gulf South Conference, was named earlier in the week to the Daktronics First-Team All-Super Region 2 Team.
http://www.newportindependent.com/sports/x415874849/Newport-s-Julius-Pruitt-chosen-for-January-All-Star-game

54dolfan9923
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Neefy Moffet FSU

DKphin
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
8. Daniel Holtzclaw ILB(Eastern Michigan) 6'1" 246lbs.
This guy is a tackling machine. In 4yrs. at EMU, Holtzclaw accumulated 435 tackles. The only year he didn't have over a 100 tackles was his first when he only had 91, talk about a lack of production.:lol: At 6-1 and 246 pounds he has good size and fantastic range from his spot in the middle. Not just a run stuffer, he has the quickness to seamlessly drop into pass coverage with two interceptions and four broken up passes. He's tremendously strong and doesn't miss a tackle, while he showed off the range to get to everything last season.
http://cfn.scout.com/2/748972.html

DKphin
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
9. Stephen McGee QB(Texas A&M) 6'3" 220lbs.
I know this thread is about the team's needs, but I really like this guy. He is the epitome of a team player. When he got injured, he had no problem with helping out the backup. He is fully recovered from his shoulder injury. He is an excellent athlete and runner. He willingness to do what is takes to make the play is the reason he got injured. Got to love his passion for the game. On top of all this he has great arm strength and can make all the throws. He also possess a high degree of intelligence. He is currently working on his Master's degree at A&M. His shoulder injury is a concern, but if he is there in the 6th or 7th rd. I'd take a shot. Who knows we might find a diamond in the ruff.

dr.jake
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
i think 2 wrs we could bring in as UFA's post draft would be bess's old team mate ryan grice mullen who's up in BC and rutgers tiquan underwood. underwood had a down year but has good size and put up great combine numbers. i was also thinking about ND'S jeff samardja .remember him? he's a relief pitcher somewhere but i wonder if billyboy could get him to camp. baseball just ain't going that great.there's 3 low cost options that don't cost us a pick.

blackthought
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll try to stick with mainly people I've watched play more...but I do think Frantz Joseph sounds like an excellent sleeper from what I've read about him.

At linebacker, Kaluka Maiava. He is the true unsung hero of that USC defense. Because he's not the physical behemoth that you see in Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews, the guy gets no attention. But Linebackers Coach Ken Norton Jr. has been quoted as saying that Kaluka Maiava may be the best linebacker of all three players between he, Cushing and Maualuga, and teammates have said that Maiava is like the glue that holds the defense together. He played about as much as anyone else in that defense and he made plays, including getting MVP in the bowl game. He doesn't have GREAT size but he doesn't have awful size either, around 6'0" or 6'1", maybe 235 to 240 pounds (you should think of these sizes in ranges, IMO). He has a motor that always runs, he's smart as heck, and I love that the kid can weed through trash even though he's smaller. He's all football too. He's Dwayne Johnson's (The Rock's) nephew but all he thinks about is football, he works out constantly, and he just loves to get to work.

Another true linebacker I think is worthy of mention is Michael Tauliili of Duke. He has a past, but he gathered 140 tackles (which equates to like 187 tackles in an NFL 16 game season), 13 TFLs, and 3 Forced Fumbles and 4 Interceptions at Duke playing in the ACC. We're talking interceptions against Virginia, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and North Carolina, not against the James Madisons of the college landscape. He's another guy that because he's around 5'10" to 5'11" and 235 pounds (with ability to get to 240 I'm sure), he's sort of left by the wayside...yet he went to the East West Shrine Game and really made plays, was all over the ball had something like 13 tackles.

At cornerback I have to go with Chris Owens and Don Carey. Owens I've seen play at San Jose State and I love his toughness, how he flies to the ball and is a tackle machine, and that he can snag passes off the quarterback. He has good speed and quickness and even though he doesn't have ideal size and bigger WRs can use their bodies to shield the ball from him, he has potential to get better and be a good player and he stood out as one of the top two players at the Texas vs. Nation all star practices. Carey has good length to him and I just like his ability to run and stay in a player's hip pocket. He stood out in Shrine practices and the game itself. There are some other corners I like late, like Ryan Mouton of Hawaii.

At safety, my sleepers would be Keith Fitzhugh and Otis Wiley. Wiley really shouldn't be considered a sleeper at all but he's not getting much play in the rankings and both players are projected 5th to 6th round by NFL Draft Scout, so they qualify for me. Coaches in the Big Ten know who Wiley is, they voted him All Big Ten First Team. He is a safety but he had to play nickel CB for his team all season and he played it well. He's a smart player with good size at 6'2" and 210 pounds, he has quickness and I like his ability to read the QB's eyes and the WR's routes. He's no Louis Delmas but, he's also not THAT far away. Keith Fitzhugh stood out as a real fireplug in the Shrine Game and going back and watching some more Mississippi State games, he really stands out as the same. Sometimes, I'd swear this is the guy that projects as a better pro than Derek Pegues. He's very aggressive and has a natural feel for avoiding junk on his way to the ball. I think either player could play special teams, and I also think either guy could play some nickel or dime safety, as well as possibly free safety.

At DE, I think Maiava's teammate Kyle Moore definitely qualifies. He plays on a defense where I don't think he's designed to make a bunch of plays, but he does make plays behind the line of scrimmage, he does stand out at you on tape as being very strong and active, and he impressed in All Star showings. Gotta love his 6'5" and 265 pound size, too. He beat San Jose State's Jeff Schweiger for a job even though Schweiger was the more highly recruited guy. Speaking of which he's not a terrible player himself and might be worth a UDFA look.

I really think Daryl Richard is worth looking at for a later round Defensive Tackle. The guy is very strong and plays with good leverage, and he's smart. He fires out low in short yardage and he really started to come into it later in the season and through the All Star season. At 6'3" and 306 he is Jason Ferguson's size, and I think he plays a bit like Ferg, too.

Hey CK whats the buzz about Jason Williams. A LB that runs 4.49 and about 240. The Dolphins were at his Pro Day and he fits a need. He also can be had on Day 2.

http://www.wiuathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12000&ATCLID=3683829

#1dolphinsfan
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
My Sleepers:
Brennon Marion WR-Tulsa

had alot of yards with not very Many catchs might be someone to look at

DKphin
03-04-2009, 04:34 AM
10. Jamarko Simmons WR(Western Michigan) 6'2" 241lbs.
Big, physical WR that likes contact. Taylor-made to play the slot. He finished his college career ranking 1st all-time in receptions and 3rd all-time in recieving yards. He broke the single season record with 104 receptions for 1276 yards and 7 TDs. He was named honorable mention All-American by Sports Illustrated.

NCFINFAN13
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd pull the trigger on Kaluka Maiava, Michael Tauliili, and/or Joe Burnett anytime from the 4th round down. I like all three and see them as diamonds in the rough.

DKphin
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
11. Dominique Edison WR(Stephen F. Austin) 6'2" 204lbs.
Elected to the 2008 All-Southland Conference team. In 2008, became only the 4th reciever in Lumberjack history catch for over a 1000 yards. He has been clocked as fast as 4.36. He finished his college career as the All-Time leader in receptions(182). He finished 2nd All-Time in yards(2,696) and TDs(28).

C-HUCKS
03-07-2009, 04:18 AM
How about Willie Williams as a late round pick

DKphin
03-07-2009, 08:50 AM
How about Willie Williams as a late round pick
Oh the travails of Willie Williams. Let's do a chronology of his life after he got out of HS. First, he signs with UM and after theft and burglary charges is kicked off the team. He is a prime example of why UM got the reputation of being Thug-U. After he gets kicked off UM, there were rumors he turned his life around. He got his 36 month probation shortened by 6 months. He had many suitors - UCLA, USC, etc., but he decides to go to Louisville. He should be good to go, destiny awaits. Oh contaire, mon frere. This guy goes and gets arrested for Marijuana. Just when you think this saga is over, Div-II Glenville State pleads with NCAA for reinstatement. Thankfully, the NCAA denies his eligibility. But Willie is going down just yet, this year he starred at NAIA Union College. As you can guess he dominated his competition. This is probably the one and only time the NAIA will see a #1 rated HS LB play in their division.

If some team is stupid enough to draft him, they deserve what they get. If he sees an NFL contract, he will be in prison or dead within 2 years.

To answer your question, "How 'bout Willie Williams?" In one word NO! In two words HELL NO!

TimeGap
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I love Victor Butler And His Teamate on the other side,His name excapes me but both are really good.

DKphin
03-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I love Victor Butler And His Teamate on the other side,His name excapes me but both are really good.
Are you talking about Slade Norris? I don't think he has a shot at getting drafted. Maybe he can catch on as a FA. In 2 years playing for the Beavers, he recorded 19 sacks. He's 6'3" 245, so he would have to stand up in a 3-4.

DKphin
03-09-2009, 07:13 AM
12. Kevin Barnes CB(Maryland) 6'1" 188lbs.
His injury has this senior CB going under the radar. Barnes, though his junior year with the Terrapins, showed continual improvement in not only his coverage ability, but his understanding of the game. He senior campaign was cut short by a shoulder injury after seven games. His injury will probably hurt him in the draft.

CedarPhin
03-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Oh the travails of Willie Williams. Let's do a chronology of his life after he got out of HS. First, he signs with UM and after theft and burglary charges is kicked off the team. He is a prime example of why UM got the reputation of being Thug-U. After he gets kicked off UM, there were rumors he turned his life around. He got his 36 month probation shortened by 6 months. He had many suitors - UCLA, USC, etc., but he decides to go to Louisville. He should be good to go, destiny awaits. Oh contaire, mon frere. This guy goes and gets arrested for Marijuana. Just when you think this saga is over, Div-II Glenville State pleads with NCAA for reinstatement. Thankfully, the NCAA denies his eligibility. But Willie is going down just yet, this year he starred at NAIA Union College. As you can guess he dominated his competition. This is probably the one and only time the NAIA will see a #1 rated HS LB play in their division.

If some team is stupid enough to draft him, they deserve what they get. If he sees an NFL contract, he will be in prison or dead within 2 years.

To answer your question, "How 'bout Willie Williams?" In one word NO! In two words HELL NO!

Now I probably wouldn't draft him either, but do you think your judgment is a bit clouded because you're a Gator fan?

DKphin
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Now I probably wouldn't draft him either, but do you think your judgment is a bit clouded because you're a Gator fan?
No

DKphin
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
13. Nick Reed DE(Oregon) 6'2" 255lbs.
Reed has an outstanding motor and endurance. He's a good technician and uses a variety of moves in his pass rush. He's relentless with his effort. Does not wear down late in the game. He's not super quick, so he will have to rely more on his technique.

CJGoCanes
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM

I would never pick him either.

But let's go back a little further. If he doesn't spurn the Gators on signing day, then I would bet the charges don't miraculously get brought up in Gainesville a couple of hours after he picked the Canes. The UF hat was right there with the Canes on signing day, but he picks UM and he becomes a much worse person, typical of Thug-U Miami.

The Gators were sour he picked UM, the charges were brought up at 4 pm that day, and the rest is history. He's not a good kid at all, but I'd say your'e a little biased

CJGoCanes
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Thug-U

"A Full Lineup: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/128766-a-full-line-up-22-florida-football-players-arrested-under-the-meyer-regime

PhinsTD
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow. Talk about biased reporting towards Miami...he was never charged with anthing he did while at Miami...Thug U? Yeah, the Gators...

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM

i like your mock draft on the bottom lol Just had to mention that

DKphin
03-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Thug-U

"A Full Lineup: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/128766-a-full-line-up-22-florida-football-players-arrested-under-the-meyer-regime
These are not my comments but is brought up on your own message boards. And I also agree when the article states that things changed dramatically once Johnson left the program.

Thug U

This feature article was written for Canespace by UM student and Canespace blogger Tony Locrotondo (Loco)...
During the 1980’s the University of Miami earned the stigma of being labled as “Thug U”. For those of you unfamiliar with their history, the Hurricanes earned the title for a variety of reasons. While many of theses reasons stemmed from false perceptions based on race, socio-economic backgrounds and other factors, there were times where the actions of the players both on and off the field may have contributed to this labeling.
Hurricane teams from the 1980’s were primarily from South Florida and primarily black, due to Howard Schnellenberger’s (and later Jimmy Johnson’s) emphasis on recruiting in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Some of these players came from Dade County's inner-city neighborhoods such as Liberty City and Opa Locka and rural impoverished communities located in Belle Glade and Pahokee. These players were tough guys from tough neigborhoods and it showed in the way they carried themselves on and off the field.
These Canes teams were also well known for their intimidation antics and showmanship, beginning in 1986 when the team showed up for the National Championship wearing army fatigues. Miami players were shown fighting on the field and in the tunnels before games. The stature of games games grew beyond the pale of college football and the contests with Notre Dame became the "Catholics versus convicts" before the Irish simply refused to play the Canes anymore.
The excessive celebration penalty, also was known as the “Hurricane Rule”, was instituted because of things Hurricane players would do on the field after scoring or recording a sack. The pelvic thrust, the throat slash and running completely off the field and through the tunnel after TD catch? Yeah, players from the team with the "U" on their helmet did all that and more back in the day.
While things have changed dramatically on campus and on the field since the mid 90s, the University of Miami is still referred to as Thug U by the media and fans from other schools. This is especially true whenever anything negative happens surrounding its football team, including the shooting deaths of Bryan Pata and former Hurricane Sean Taylor.
http://canespace.typepad.com/canespace/2008/05/thug-u.html

DKphin
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
13. Nader Abdullah DT(Ohio St.) 6'4" 296lbs.
5thyr.senior at OSU. While in Columbus, had to deal with the loss of a family member and the loss of his home during Hurricane Katrina. Good at the point of attack and able to handle two defenders. He is a plugger. Shows pretty good quickness for a big guy and has a good swim move along with other moves in the pass rush. While he did improve at OSU, he never really established himself. Maybe his personal life affected his play, but I'm sure he is one of the more mature people in the draft because of it. May never be a starter, but he can contribute and provide quality depth at the position.

DKphin
03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
14. DeWayne Lewis CB(Southern Utah) 5'11" 190lbs.
Very, very fast(4.29/40). He is an agressive, big hitting CB. Not a track guy playing football, but a football player who happens to run track. Smooth backpedal and great make up speed. He will take chances on the field and rely on his speed too much.

finfan54
03-14-2009, 08:23 AM
30 YPC!!!!!!!

You see, I would be more inclined to think BP will pick someone like this aside from Nicks ealier.

DKphin
03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
CB - Mark Parson - Ohio - 5'10 193 lbs

He's been my sleeper from day one. He's projected to run in the 4.3 range and I've heard he can press 19-22 reps of 225 :jawdrop: . If his bench press results are in the 20s, he shoots up the boards quickly.

15. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
He didn't get an invite from the Combine, but he was hand picked by Deion Sanders to attend his Prime U for cornerback prospects. Parsons is an instinctual player that has great make up speed. He shut down Brian Robiskie(3 catches for 8yds.) in a near upset of Ohio St. As stated earlier, he has great strength for a player his size. It is really baffling why he is not mentioned more prominently when talking about top corner prospects coming out in 2009. I have seen many reports that state that he will make the smoothest transition from college to the Pros. He's a natural man to man cover player.

FanIQ.com states:
Mark Parson is hands down the best man to man corner in the draft. If any corner in this draft can achieve “shutdown corner” status, I believe Mark Parson will be that man.

FFLToolbox.com states:
Parson is one of those players who knows, almost by instincts alone, to play the position. A natural cover man, he does need to assimilate more complex systems before he can start for an NFL team. Right now he is a third round prospect who could have a good-to-great career in the next level.

Although not getting a combine invite, in the Texas vs. Nation he was one of the best defenders on the field. He has been clocked as fast 4.34/40 and as slow as 4.56/40. But whatever his time is, his instincts make up for, if there is any, a lack of ideal speed(I'm just trying to figure out why you don't hear alot about him). He ranks in the top five all-time at Ohio in pass breakups and ints.

DKphin
03-14-2009, 10:51 PM
16. Lee Robinson LB(Alcorn State) 6'2" 249lbs.
In his Senior season at ASU, he had 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss and 3.5 sacks. But he is not just a one year wonder. Over his college career, Robinson has recorded 223 tackles, 33.5 for loss. His short area speed is greater than his long speed. He can stay with RBs and TEs in the short zone, but don't ask him to cover deep down field. He has the ability to play the SOLB or he could shift inside to MLB. He has the strength to engage OL. I like this quote when he paticipated in the Texas vs. Nation game:

NFLDraftScout.com:
He's a guy who looks like Tarzan -- and plays like him, too. Of this week's participants, Robinson should be one of the first players drafted. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

playmaker1
03-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Great thread DKphin :up:

I know a few people have said, But Chris Owens is someone to watch. I think he is becoming less of a sleeper, but due to the smaller program he came from he could be thought of one. But I really like this guy.

A name I don't think I have seen on here yet is John Bacon ILB from Oregon. He is 6'2'' 242lbs. I have seen him play and he is a hard hitter, and seemed to read plays very well. He could be a great late round pick.

Khalif Mitchell DT 6'5'' 318lbs from East Carolina. Big body, big beast. Transfered from UNC.

Not sure if he is considered, but Jared Bronson the TE from Central Washington has impressed me. My roommate went to CWU, so I kind of followed them some, and saw them play earlier this season. He has great hands. I think he could really prove to be a surprise to a team that will get him.

A WR I really like is Jeremy Childs from Boise State. I've always like BSU, and follow them. He is the kind of WR that does it all, could line up in multiple spots on the field.

Just some of the guys I have liked and not heard much about on a national level.

TonySporanoTuna
03-15-2009, 12:31 AM
was a good movie.

CJGoCanes
03-15-2009, 02:56 AM
15. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
He didn't get an invite from the Combine, but he was hand picked by Deion Sanders to attend his Prime U for cornerback prospects. Parsons is an instinctual player that has great make up speed. He shut down Brian Robiskie(3 catches for 8yds.) in a near upset of Ohio St. As stated earlier, he has great strength for a player his size. It is really baffling why he is not mentioned more prominently when talking about top corner prospects coming out in 2009. I have seen many reports that state that he will make the smoothest transition from college to the Pros. He's a natural man to man cover player.

FanIQ.com states:

FFLToolbox.com states:

Although not getting a combine invite, in the Texas vs. Nation he was one of the best defenders on the field. He has been clocked as fast 4.34/40 and as slow as 4.56/40. But whatever his time is, his instincts make up for, if there is any, a lack of ideal speed(I'm just trying to figure out why you don't hear alot about him). He ranks in the top five all-time at Ohio in pass breakups and ints.

I think he's a definite sleeper, he looks like a perfect slot cover man, but only from the 4th round on

DKphin
03-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by SamIam

17. Phillip Hunt LB(Houston) 6'1"" 253lbs.
I really don't know what there is not to like about this kid. He was named 2008 C-USA Defensive Player of the Year and is a two time All C-USA selection. He set the school single season sack record(14) and career sack record(34) in 2008. He also has 52 consecutive starts while at Houston. The past year he had the 2nd most sacks in the NCAA. Plays with a low pad level that allows him to get leverage on the taller tackles. He was an absolute terror in the pass rush during Shrine week.

DKphin
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Let's switch gears, I want to critique a RB that I feel is going to be a great value pick in the draft:
18. Gartrell Johnson RB(Colorado State) 5'11" 222lbs.

Good:
Had 285 yards rushing vs. Fresno St. in the New Mexico Bowl and was the game's MVP. He had nealy 400 yards combined rushing and receiving in the game. He had 191yds vs. UNLV, 130yds vs. SDSU, 127 vs. NMU, 135 vs. Wyoming in 2008. He's a one cut and go runner and that's the kind of RB the Trifecta is looking for. He's a strong runner between the tackles and has enough wiggle to make the defenders miss. He started his career at Michigan St., but the last 2 seasons at CSU he has 2,433(5.3 ypc), 44 catches for 398yds(9ypr) and 20TDs.

Bad:
Going into the combine he he was regarded as a top RB, but after he ran 4.75/40, his stock has fallen. At his ProDay, he improved his 40 time slightly with 2 runs of 4.68 and 4.67 respectively. That got me thinking there was something not right here. While his 40 time does throw up red flags, I think you have to look more closely at this kids 10 yard split. He ran his first 10yds. in 1.60 secs. Compare that with other runners from last years combine:

Here are some 10/20/40 splits from the 2008 combine:

HB Chris Johnson: 1.40/2.41/4.24
HB Darren McFadden: 1.51/2.53/4.33
HB Jonathan Stewart: 1.54/2.56/4.48
HB Matt Forte: 1.49/2.55/4.46
HB Ray Rice: 1.51/2.52/4.47
HB Steve Slaton: 1.60/2.63/4.49
HB Jamaal Charles: 1.53/2.56/4.38

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/296366-ian-can-you-please-concentrate-agility-acceleration-4.html

While he is no Chris Johnson, he does compare favorablly with the other RBs listed. He is one of the RBs that, because of his burst through the hole, is able to just punish the other team after he gets his 12-15 carries. I remember when Emmit Smith was coming out of UF, they had the same concerns about him. Emmitt had vision, toughness and elusiveness to make up for the lack of speed. I am not saying Johnson is going to be the next Smith but he does possess the same traits as Emmitt. The burst is what gets him through the hole, the vision is what helps find the lane and the mental toughness is what helps him punish defenders.

DKphin
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Here's a list of the players I have so far. There will be more to come. Any additional input from other people is always welcome.

1. Cornelius Lewis OT(TSU) 6'4" 324lbs.
2. Dominique Johnson CB(Jackson St.)6'1"190lbs.
3. Frantz Joseph ILB(FAU) 6'2" 243lbs
5. Brandon Swain DE(West Texas A&M) 6'3" 255lbs.
6. D.J. Clark S(Idaho St.) 6'2" 200lbs.
7. Andy Kemp OG(Wisconsin) 6'6" 315lbs.
8. Julius Pruitt WR(Ouachita Baptist) 6'2" 210lbs.
9. Daniel Holtzclaw ILB(Eastern Michigan) 6'1" 246lbs.
10. Stephen McGee QB(Texas A&M) 6'3" 220lbs.
11. Jamarko Simmons WR(Western Michigan) 6'2" 241lbs.
12. Dominique Edison WR(Stephen F. Austin) 6'2" 204lbs.
13. Kevin Barnes CB(Maryland) 6'1" 188lbs.
14. Nick Reed DE(Oregon) 6'2" 255lbs.
15. Nader Abdullah DT(Ohio St.) 6'4" 296lbs.
16. DeWayne Lewis CB(Southern Utah) 5'11" 190lbs.
17. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
18. Lee Robinson LB(Alcorn State) 6'2" 249lbs.
19. Phillip Hunt LB(Houston) 6'1"" 253lbs.
20. Gartrell Johnson RB(Colorado State) 5'11" 222lbs.

DKphin
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
21. Dudley Guice WR(Northwestern State) 6'3" 209lbs.
He has fluid hips, outstanding hands and great body control. He is a thinking man on the field, using a variety of moves to separate from the defender. At the Texas vs. Nation game, scouts were taking a second, third and fourth look at this little known WR. Not receiving an invite to the combine, Guice had to perform for onlookers at his ProDay-he did not disappoint:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.40
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.61

He graduated from Northwestern State with a 3.597 GPA and 2nd in the Draddy(Academic Heisman). Could he be this years Marques Colston?

ShaneHulscher
03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
JaRon Harris South Dakota State University - 6'1" 200lbs, great bloodlines, great speed

ckparrothead
03-19-2009, 03:23 PM
He has fluid hips, outstanding hands and great body control. He is a thinking man on the field, using a variety of moves to separate from the defender. At the Texas vs. Nation game, scouts were taking a second, third and fourth look at this little known WR. Not receiving an invite to the combine, Guice had to perform for onlookers at his ProDay-he did not disappoint:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.40
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.61

He graduated from Northwestern State with a 3.597 GPA and 2nd in the Draddy(Academic Heisman). Could he be this years Marques Colston?

Definitely with you on that one. A few weeks back I took a look at Bill Parcells' history with drafting WRs and found a trend toward smaller FCS and non-BCS type programs. I took a look at guys who would be very likely under that scenario and when you look at that you come up with Johnny Knox, Dominique Edison and Dudley Guice. Guice and Knox both stood out in Texas vs Nation practices and the game itself, Edison stood out on the first day of practice as perhaps the best WR there but then he hurt a hammy and Guice took over as the guy everyone watched.

http://www.universaldraft.com/3_7_2009_CK_s_Blog.php

I believe very strongly that one of those three could end up a Dolphin on the second day of the draft. I also took a look at Jarett Dillard, however the main problem with him is that I believe he's rising a little too high.

Edison, Guice, Knox. Have to remember those names. I see strong possibility in those three becoming Dolphins.

lbmclean_sj
03-19-2009, 03:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/13/prodays/index.html?eref=T1

Robert Francois/LB/Boston College: Francois is one of the least known prospects from the Boston College defense, yet one of the draft's real sleepers. He measured 6-2, 245 then timed both of his 40's in the mid 4.5-second range. Francois posted a 35.5-inch vertical jump, 10' broad and had a short shuttle time under four seconds. He looked terrific in drills, working with the defensive backs, and looked better than most of the secondary prospects.

ckparrothead
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Small school players I like...

QB Nate Davis, Ball State
QB Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
QB Jason Boltus, Hartwick

RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
RB Javarris Williams, Tennessee State
RB Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian

WR Jarett Dillard, Rice
WR Dudley Guice, Northwestern State (LA)
WR Dominique Edison, Stephen F Austin
WR Johnny Knox, Abilene Christian

TE James Casey, Rice
TE Zach Miller, Nebraska-Omaha

OT Sebastian Vollmer, Houston
OT T.J. Lang, Eastern Michigan

DT Khalif Mitchell, East Carolina
DT Terrance Knighton, Temple

DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr., Richmond
DE Everette Pedescleaux, Northern Iowa
DE Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois

OLB Larry English, Northern Illinois
OLB Dan Skuta, Grand Valley State
OLB Willie Williams, Union (KY)

ILB Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic
ILB Cyrus Mulitalo, Sacramento State

CB Coye Francies, San Jose State
CB Chris Owens, San Jose State
CB Don Carey, Norfolk State
CB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State
CB Joe Burnett, Central Florida

FS Colt Anderson, Montana

dsipher13
03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
CK, how about the kid Mark Parsons from Ohio? What do you think?

LouPhinFan
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM

OLB Willie Williams, Union (KY)

I'm assuming you like their "on-the-field" skills, not necessarily the "off-the-field" baggage.

I'm a Louisville fan and believe me I know Willie Williams comes with a C130 cargo plane full of baggage...

ckparrothead
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm assuming you like their "on-the-field" skills, not necessarily the "off-the-field" baggage.

I'm a Louisville fan and believe me I know Willie Williams comes with a C130 cargo plane full of baggage...

Yes he does. I probably shouldn't have included him, as I eliminated Chris Baker on that basis, and Willie Williams makes Chris Baker look like a saint. But I wonder if Williams has reached such a rock bottom that he'll change his ways while Baker and some others haven't gotten there yet.

ckparrothead
03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
CK, how about the kid Mark Parsons from Ohio? What do you think?

I do like him but I don't think he's very big or athletic and did not necessarily face good competition either.

LouPhinFan
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes he does. I probably shouldn't have included him, as I eliminated Chris Baker on that basis, and Willie Williams makes Chris Baker look like a saint. But I wonder if Williams has reached such a rock bottom that he'll change his ways while Baker and some others haven't gotten there yet.

That's a good thought. He has had ample chances. He threw his chance at U of L away. We were depending on him that season, but he decided to get caught driving with pot and then eat the evidence. Union is definately rock bottom. He would have to be working hard there as that school depends on students to work on campus as a part of their schooling. It all depends on his interview.

ckparrothead
03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
That's a good thought. He has had ample chances. He threw his chance at U of L away. We were depending on him that season, but he decided to get caught driving with pot and then eat the evidence. Union is definately rock bottom. He would have to be working hard there as that school depends on students to work on campus as a part of their schooling. It all depends on his interview.

I know the Dolphins have looked at him. They had him in for a visit. His agent claims that he's put all of that nonsense behind him now, for the only reason that these guys ever do put all of that kind of nonsense behind him...his kid. He has a daughter. And if he doesn't take the NFL seriously and stay out of trouble, he's trying to provide for her by working at McDonald's.

DKphin
03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
22. Bradley Fletcher CB(Iowa) 6'0" 196lbs.
His measurables are:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.47
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.29
3-Cone Drill: 7.04

He has prototypical size for the position. His long arms and big hands help him fight with the receiver when going after the ball. Breaks down well in space to make the open-field tackle. He is able to turn his hips to change directions. Because of his size and instincts some scouts project him as a FS. He will have to prove he has the deep speed to run with receivers in the NFL.

lbmclean_sj
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
His measurables are:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.29
3-Cone Drill: 7.04

He has prototypical size for the position. His long arms and big hands help him fight with the receiver when going after the ball. Breaks down well in space to make the open-field tackle. He is able to turn his hips to change directions. Because of his size and instincts some scouts project him as a FS. He will have to prove he has the deep speed to run with receivers in the NFL.

if Dwight Lowry can play CB then why can't this guy? is 4.47 slow?

DKphin
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
23. Cedric Dockery OG(Texas) 6'3" 320lbs.
Don't know how much of a sleeper he is, but he is picked to go in the 3rd. I still have not heard alot of talk around the web about him.

If there was anyone ever born to be an NFL OG, it is Cedric. Wide hips, big thighs, broad strong shoulders and long, powerful arms. Not fat, just big. He's a natural kneebender, does not get off balance by leaning at the waist. Athletic with decent quickness. He can absorb a bullrush and when he locks you up it is over. He can be overaggressive at times causing him to get over extended. Needs to have a better motor, sometimes seems to get lazy on the field.

DKphin
03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
This is from another post I responded to, so I figured I would include it here:
24. Nate Davis QB(Ball State) 6'1" 217lbs.

Career Superlatives

• Became the first player in BSU history to throw for 3,000 yards or more in back-to-back seasons

• Managed a 22-12 record as a starting quarterback
• Tallied a 17-5 Mid-American Conference mark as a starter
• Threw at least one TD pass in 29 of his last 31 games
• With his first pass at Akron, a 23-yard completion to Dante Love, Davis set the Ball State career record for passing yards
• With his seventh completion of the game vs. Northern Illinois, Davis set the Ball State school record for completions in a career on a 33-yard pass to MiQuale Lewis

2008 Season Superlatives

• Ranked 13th in the nation in passing efficiency (156.97)

• Ranked 19th in the country in total offense (278.79)
• Threw for at least 250 yards in a game 8 times in 2008
• Completed 64.3 percent of his passes
• Completed .875 percent of his passes against Northeastern, which ranks as the third best single-game mark in BSU history
• Tied his career high with 64 rushing yards vs. Western Michigan
http://www.ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200&ATCLID=710742

What kind of offense did they run at BSU? Was it like Tulsa's and tends to inflate the WR and QB numbers? Completing over 60% of your passes, over 9200 yds, a 74/22 td/int ratio, and come out of college with a 147.3 QB rating is pretty good numbers. And on top of that, put up nearly 500yds. rushing.

Here's the deal. The guy is only 6'1 3/8". Justified or not there is a bias against QBs shorter than 6'3". They worked out of the spread(shotgun) at BSU. He'll have a learning curve because not being under C, you got to get your steps right. Always being 7 yards behind the line makes it easier to presnap read and read while the play is going on. Ball security is a concern. Your first impression is always your best and if the GMAC bowl was the first time some people got to see the kid play, it was probably not the showing he had hoped. In that game he had 9 TOs: 6 fumbles and 3 ints. Another thing that concerns people is that when he holds the ball he does not use the laces and wears a glove. He was diagnosed with a learning disabiliy. Lastly, he is a riverboat gambler.

But on the other hand here are some positives. He has a great arm. He has outstanding acurracy, smooth release, and great touch and timing. He is pretty athletic, as one would expect coming out of the spread. He is tough with a good work ethic. He is a team leader.

He is viewed now as a mid-round selection. I'd say from the fifth on. He has a lot of things to work on and is a long term projection. But he has that dreaded word "upside".

DKphin
03-22-2009, 05:08 AM

25. Joel Bell OT(Furman) 6'7" 315lbs.
Bell was a three-time All-Southern Conference selection. He was on multiple All-American lists this past year and became the third player in 4yrs to be invited to the combine from Furman. He won the league's Jacobs Award for being the top blocker.

Bell grew up playing soccer and basketball while living in Croatia and Egypt. He was also an accomplished discuss thrower in college. Bell is long and quick. Some say he is DE playing OT. His athleticism is impressive for a man of his size. He does have questions about his ability to deal with speed rushers. It has been stated that he will have to improve his lower body strength and balance.

Possum
03-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Joe Burnett CB UCF 5'9" 192 :woot:
Burnett made headlines since starting as a freshman because of his skills as a cornerback (16 career interceptions, 35 pass breakups) and return man (three punt, two kickoff returns for touchdown). The four-year starter was named first-team All-Conference USA at cornerback and kickoff and punt returner as a senior. A bit smaller and slower than most teams would like in a starter, Burnett is a strong, confident Tampa-2 corner in the making. GO KNIGHTS!!!:woot:

Possum
03-22-2009, 05:28 AM
CB Joe Burnett, Central Florida
O YEA!!!! UCF LOVE!!!

cs2p
03-22-2009, 03:09 PM
What do you guys think of Austin Collie, WR from BYU? He seems pretty athletic to me, and a solid route runner. I wouldn`t mind taking him in the later rounds, would you?

DKphin
03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
What do you guys think of Austin Collie, WR from BYU? He seems pretty athletic to me, and a solid route runner. I wouldn`t mind taking him in the later rounds, would you?

26. Austin Collie WR(Brigham Young) 6'1" 200lbs.
Outstanding hands. His two best routes are the comback and the out route. He knows how to get separation. He was frequently double teamed since he was the focus on passing downs and still made catches in the Cougar offense. Does not have the breakaway speed(4.53-4.6/40), but just is one of those players that knows how to get open. There are questions as to wether he will shy away from going to the middle of the field, but you won't know until you put him out there. He was seldom asked to go over the middle at BYU. There is really not a lot of negatives on this kid. He is 24 yrs. old, but I do not see this as a problem. He could have gotten into the bottom of the 2nd or 3rd with a sub 4.5. Probably looking at a late 3rd or 4th rd. selection.

DKphin
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
27. Jamie Thomas OG(Maryland) 6'4" 323lbs.
He is seasoned and consistent player. Thomas has a good understanding of the game. Very coachable, high football I.Q. Has enough to speed(5.25/40) to pull. He looks the part, he has the size the trifecta is looking for the OL. The only knock on him is that, although, he gives decent effort, he does not always sustain his blocks. There seems to be something missing from his game. Maybe that "killer instinct".

DKphin
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
28. Don Carey CB(Norfolk St.) 5'11" 192lbs.
ProDay results:
225 Bench Press Reps: 18
40 Yrd Dash: 4.49

Carey is a two time selection to the second team All-MEAC. He has tallied 10ints. in his career including 5ints. in 2008. Carey is a 3-time member of the MEAC Commissioner's All-Academic Team. He ended his collegiate career with 174tkls., 34 pass deflections, 4 fumble recoveries, 2 blocked extra pts., and 2 defensive TDs. Don was a late addition to the East-West Shrine Bowl and he did not dissapoint. He finished the game with two tackles and knocked down the potential game winning TD. Carey has solid instincts and above average ball skills. He is not afraid to come up and get physical in run support. The only negative on him is that he has not really faced many complex offensive schemes.

DKphin
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
29. Roy Miller DT(Texas) 6'2" 310lbs.

Combine
225lbs. Bench Press: 36
Vertical Jump: 32

With his size and lunch-pail, never say die attitude, he is a natural to plug the middle in a 3-4. Miller plays low with good pad level to get underneath the defender. He uses his hands to his advantage to win the one on one battles. Miller, while he is primarily a bull rusher, does have a very good swim and rip to get to the QB. He has a non-stop motor. Miller is the definition when you say plugger. While he is effective in the middle, he lacks the athletic ability to make plays away from the zone in which he plays. He struggles to shed blockers.

DKphin
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Updated list:

DKphin
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM
30. Myron Pryor DT(Kentucky) 6' 0" 319lbs.
Maybe not so much of a sleeper, but the guy is a very good player. Built leak a fire hydrant, Pryor is incredibly athletic for a player of his size. In one-on-one drills at the East-West Shrine game, he was a headache for the OL. Being only 6'0" and weighing between 310-320, Pryor is able to get underneath OL and use his leverage for an advantage against his opposition. Include his amazing speed and quickness to the aforementined size and he can cause a lot of problems for the offensive line. When he does get to high with his pad level, he has the athletic ability to gather himself and still make the play. Previous to last season, Pryor was another good player on the defensive line. Many have questioned wether he was just performing because he sees the pot at the end of the rainbow. I've seen him for 4yrs. as UF plays Kentucky every year, I don't think this past years performance is an abheration. While he really didn't shine until 2009, I think he is the real deal.

Combine
Height: 6002
Weight: 319
40 Yrd Dash: 5.08
20 Yrd Dash: 2.93
10 Yrd Dash: 1.67
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24(ProDay because of a Chest injury at the combine)
Vertical Jump: 30
Broad Jump: 08'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75
3-Cone Drill: 8.16

SamIam
03-27-2009, 04:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f76c59

DKphin
03-28-2009, 09:30 AM
31. Jason Boltus QB(Hartwick) 6'3" 225lbs.

Combine
Height: 6026
Weight: 225
40 Yrd Dash: 4.82
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.00

I used to be high on Beck, but after seeing the ball fall out of hand 4 times that first year I was really taken aback. When I say fall, I mean the ball was not batted out, it literally fell out of his hand when reached back to throw.

The best term to describe Boltus is "Gunslinger". Jason Boltus won the D-III version of the Heisman Trophy. The numbers he put up at Hartwick(for his career) are pretty out of this world, but you have to remember the level of competition:

Attempts: 1,466
Passing Yards: 13,276
TouchDowns: 134
Interceptions: 43

Boltus holds the D-III record for career yards, 2nd all-time in career passing yards and 3rd all-time in TDs. He showed he could play with the big boys in the Texas vs. the Nation game. He knows how to buy time with his legs. Jason is a good field general and leader. Boltus has a cannon for an arm. He is strong putting up 26 reps at the combine. He has some issues with his mechanics and only has average accuracy. His anticipation of where the WR is going to be has to be improved upon. He is definitely a long term project, but he has tools. Why not take a late rd. flyer on the kid or pick him up as a FA, stick a clipboard in his hand and let him learn from Pennington.

DKphin
03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
32. DJ Boldin WR(Wake Forest) 6'0" 220lbs.
DJ Boldin is the brother of Anquan Boldin. Until this year he had only caught 26 balls. With Kerry Moore's graduation, DJ's opportunity presented itself. This past season Boldin had 77 receptions, averaging 65yards/game(second only to Hakeem Nicks who avg. 84yds/gm). Despite this he only avg. 10yds/rec. While Boldin, like his brother, is not the fastest guy(4.6/40), he uses his strength and athleticism(6'0" 220lbs.) to make plays, like his brother.

reddbaron
03-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Chill, Best steal in the draft my man Ramses Barden out of Cal Poly. This guy is the next Marques Colston. My mans is 6'6" 230 with excellent hands and vertical.

DKphin
04-01-2009, 01:53 PM
33. Augustus Parrish OT(Kent State) 6'4" 305lbs.
He is a road-grading OT. Parrish has very long arms. His footwork is adequate for the collegiate ranks, but he needs to improve that area to play RT in the Pros. He needs to show he can move inside to OG, but the prevailing sentiment is that he can. Former DT, so he has some nastiness to his game. He could still add more girth to his frame. Parrish has a good inital punch.

DKphin
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
34. Michael Ray Garvin RS(Florida State) 5'8" 182lbs.
He was listed as a CB at FSU, I profiling him as a PR/KR. He tore it up at FSU's ProDay running a 4.24 and 4.28/40. He also added a 36” vertical leap, a 10’8” broad jump and times of 4.34 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.97 seconds in the three-cone drill. Someone to look at as an UDFA.

DKphin
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
35. Chris Baker DT(Hampton) 6'2" 326lbs.
Baker began his career at Penn State. He played a reserve role in 2006 and took over the starting role in 2007. His Penn State career never got off the ground because he was arrested twice on felony charges stemming from fights he was involved and subsequently he was dismissed from PSU. He had a fantastic season for Hampton playing DE in thier 3-4. He has the ability to play NT or DE in the 3-4. The kid is really talented and I have read that he is really a good kid that caught up in a bad situation, but it happened twice. Is he going to come and be a headcase like Manny Wright or Demetrius Underwood? Or has he left the baggage behind and is going to reach his potential? That is the million, or should I say the multi-million, dollar question. He is a Boom or Bust type. I think he'll get drafted 4th or 5th round.

General Tso
04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
TJ Lang, G/RT/C, Eastern Michigan

This guy can challenge for a starting G spot, backup Vernon at RT and/or backup Jake at C. Strong, tough and versatile.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/TJ-Lang.php

DKphin
04-02-2009, 08:48 AM
36. TJ Lang OG(Eastern Michigan) 6'4" 316lbs.
Started his career at EMU as a DT. Has been a OT for the last 3 years and plays with a nasty disposition. He didn't miss a game at EMU and plays with a physical presence that would be attrative to the Trifecta. GM Jerry Angelo scouted Lang at the Texas vs. Nation game and said that he could project to either OG, C, or OT. Described as a absolute mauler that plays through every play. He has good enough feet to pull and trap. He ranked as one of the top 15 players not invited to the combine. He projects more inside because he lacks the agility and arm length for the manning the edge. He must improve his technique as he tends to lean into his opponent allowing him to rip him or pull him away. Right now he is projected to go in the 4th-5th round.

DKphin
04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Updated List:

DKphin
04-04-2009, 12:25 PM
37. Donald Washington CB(Ohio State) 6'0" 197lbs.
Washington is a seasoned player with 3yrs. experience from OSU. At the combine he performed well in all events except the BP:

40 Yrd Dash:4.50
20 Yrd Dash:2.58
10 Yrd Dash:1.47
225 Lb. Bench Reps:09
Vertical Jump:45
Broad Jump:11'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle:4.20
3-Cone Drill:6.84

I thought Daruis Butler's vertical was mind-blowing, Donald beat that by two inches. He also bested Butler's BJ by an inch. But this might have been expected from someone that was a State Champion long jumper in HS. He is a terrific tackler although not the most physical guy in the world. He is highly competitive. Effective against the run, but is not going to strike fear in an opponent in the open field, not super tough or physical. Still has ton of untapped potential. Started two games in '07 then suspended for two games for a violation of team rules, although after that he did play alot was never able to regain the starting position. I have seen his drafted value anywhere from late 2nd to 7th. Probably a good pick in the 4th or 5th.

DKphin
04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
38. Robert Francois OLB(Boston College) 6'2" 244lbs.
Francois started 2008 as backup to Brian Toal, but many of the scouting reports have him as the better of the two LBs. With Toal going down to injury, Francois played the last seven games in 2008 recording 82 tkls, 9 TOL, and 2 sacks. Francois has the right size for a 3-4 scheme. He is stout at POA using his hand strength and quickness to shed blockers. The BC coaches recognized him as one of the standouts on STs(versatility). Although he ran a 4.6/40 at his ProDay, he may lack the lateral agility to stay with the TE or RB in coverage(Only ran 7.11 3cone at his ProDay, not bad but not spectacular). Does not have a varied pass rush, relies on his initial punch and bull rush to get to the QB. He only started 14 games in his college career. Stayed behind Brian Toal and only started when Toal went down to injury. Sometimes plays like a beast when he is on the field, but other times seems hesitant and unsure of himself. He will definitely have to take a seat on the bench and be coached up, but some see him as one of those guys who is going to be a better Pro than college player.

Pinkboy
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Maybe not a "sleeper" per se, but a guy who I really like that we should target in the mid rounds for our running game. I like Canfield a lot more than TJ Lang.

Trevor Canfield, OG, 6'5, 308 lbs - Cincinnati. Bench- 32 reps

3/28/09 - A mauler, Canfield is as subtle as a punch in the mouth -- and just as effective. He has a good combination of height, long arms, agility and a downright nasty disposition between the snap and the whistle. He not only blocks defenders, he blocks through them. He started 39 consecutive games and coaches credit him with 300 knockdown blocks in that time. He also had 37 blocks that resulted in touchdowns. He was by far the most effective pass blocker on a team that gave up 134 sacks and 80 quarterback pressures while he was starting. He was responsible for only seven sacks and three pressures in his career and as a senior gave up three sacks and one pressure on 472 pass plays - not bad for being on such a crappy O-line.

Canfield has the height, long arms, and agility to transfer over to backup Carey at RT with the right coaching that we have. Canfield has longer arms than Lang conducive for RT, is tougher, meaner, more physical, has the height, and feet. Canfield is also a better leader than Lang, and leadership is something the Dolphins said they looking for all the time. But meanwhile, Canfield can be a great guard and interior lineman (where we have had some injury issues). Canfield is just excellent at getting to the 2nd level of the defense.

General Tso
04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Canfield has longer arms than Lang conducive for RT, is tougher, meaner, more physical, has the height, and feet. Canfield is also a better leader than Lang, and leadership is something the Dolphins said they looking for all the time.

How long are Lang's arms? I haven't seen any numbers on that since he wasn't invited to the combine.

He's tougher, meaner and more physical than Lang? Perhaps, but you're splitting hairs because those are Lang's strong points too.

I'm also curious about what you're basing the leadership comments on. How are Canfield's assault charges last year "being a better leader"?

DKphin
04-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Trevor Canfield
Height: 6044
Weight: 307
40 Yrd Dash: 5.28
20 Yrd Dash: 2.92
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 32
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 09'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.83
3-Cone Drill: 7.78

TJ Lang
Height: 6040
Weight: 316
40 Yrd Dash: 5.15
20 Yrd Dash: 2.97
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 26 1/2
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
3-Cone Drill:

They seem pretty similar to me from a numbers standpoint. TJ Lang was voted one of the Top 15 players NOT invited to the NFL Combine. Being a former Defensive player, Lang plays with a tough, aggressive and nasty attitude.

DKphin
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Updated List:
37. Donald Washington CB(Ohio State) 6'0" 197lbs.
38. Robert Francois OLB(Boston College) 6'2" 244lbs.

DKphin
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Since the Phins brought him in for a workout, I thought I would do a write up on what info I could find.

39. Russell Allen OLB(San Diego State) 6'3" 230lbs.
Hails from the same college as Dolphin alum Kim Bokamper. These are his numbers from his ProDay:

40 Yrd Dash: 4.63
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.34
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

He seems a little light for our 3-4 scheme, but at 6'3" he has the size to add a few pounds. Russell was a two-time nominee for the Butkus Award(given to the nation's top LB). He was a selected as ALL-MWC Honorable Mention for the 2008 season. He was the leader of a defensive that, other than him, didn't have a lot to cheer about in 2008. He finished his college career with 375 tkls., 22 TFL., 3 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries, and 3ints. He is 1st for the Aztecs in career assisted tkls.(161) and 2nd in career solo tkls.(214). Russell finished at SDSU with 10 games with 10 or more tkls. He has started 48 games since 2005, so he is durable.