PDA

View Full Version : Easterns vs. Westerns

Blackocrates
02-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Call me a fool but I didn't realize until recently that A Fistful of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven were remakes/copies of eastern samurai movies Yojimbo and Seven Samurai. There may be other remakes but I am not away of any others. I have to say that the Eastern movies kick the Western movies buttocks. I don't even think it's close. Seven Samurai is amazing and beautiful. Yojimbo is great as well.

For those of you that have seen the two Western movies that I have mentioned but not the Eastern movies, check them out and let me know what you think.

ih8brady
04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Seven Samurai comes on TCM sometimes, it really is a stunning film to look at, in addition to being a great story. It's an interesting comparison, the loner samurai rhymes in pattern and experience of the cowboy/ranger/sheriff of the west. The settings of the anarchy-based frontier and the chaotic nature of feudal Japan also share synonymy. As an undergrad, I took a classical mythology class, of all subject matters, in which the professor lectured on a basic pattern and story arc both genres share called WDR (Withdrawl-Devestation-Return). The first act usually involves the hero leaving the town or being banished or retiring, then the town or area is devestated by outlaws or villains attacking innocent civilians, and then the hero returns and makes things right. He also linked an inversion when it comes to horror movies. Usually, a psycho/monster returns from the grave or jail or an asylum. The community is terrorized but peace returns when it dies or withdrawls somehow. An interesting model, imo. What do you think, 54?