PDA

View Full Version : Teen smokers pick Marlboro as favorite cigarettes

BAMAPHIN 22
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/02/marlborox-1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)http://i.usatoday.net/_common/_images/clear.gif

Marlboro, the cigarette favored by adults, is also the favorite of teens who regularly smoke, according to a federal report released Thursday.

The results led anti-smoking advocates to complain that the same advertising that's supposed to target adults is also influencing teens, even though smoking rates for that age group have dropped in recent years.

"Cigarettes are still the most heavily advertised drug in America," said Victor Strasburger, a professor of pediatrics at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine and a spokesman for the American Academy of Pediatrics. "It's sad."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2009-02-12-marlboro-kids-smokers_N.htm

PassRush
02-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I dont understand why chewing tobacco companies dont advertise to kids.

Dolphan7
02-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Ah...good 'ol Dirtboro's.

CedarPhin
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM
The most popular cigarette in Lebanon besides Winston.

1 dol fan
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I dont understand why chewing tobacco companies dont advertise to kids.
It seems to me that the new camel snus is becoming very popular to a lot of my fellow peers. It is a smokeless, spitless tobacco that you just slip in your lip and it gives you a buzz. I wonder if there is going to be an epidemic!?!?!?!

Dolphan7
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
It seems to me that the new camel snus is becoming very popular to a lot of my fellow peers. It is a smokeless, spitless tobacco that you just slip in your lip and it gives you a buzz. I wonder if there is going to be an epidemic!?!?!?!Yes it will cause an epidemic....in about 30-40 years........called Throat Cancer.

Tetragrammaton
02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
All through school, they tell us not to smoke, yet they still do it. Maybe if teachers promoted smoking, kids would not do it.

Bumpus
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, I'm a teacher & I smoke. I tell kids not to smoke all the time. When they give me the hypocrite look ... I break it down into something they understand - $4.00/day.

You can tell kids that smoking is bad for their health, and they understand it but don't care because they are young and healthy. When you tell them about the addiction that empties your pockets of $4/day, $28/week, $120/month, $1460/year and up ... That gets their attention!

CedarPhin
02-14-2009, 07:48 PM
They cost a dollar a pack in Lebanon. Everyone smokes over there.

GoonBoss
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
When I was in GE in 1998, there were still ciggarette machines on the corner in every tiny-*** town in GE. Everyone in Europe smokes. The US is actually just a corner of the market for ciggarettes. It's not really even profitable anymore. They are all just maintaining market share.

That said; The folowing brands were popular with the following groups when I grew up.

White guys that hung out with white guys; Marlboro reds.

White guys and chicks that hung out with black guys, and, black guys; Newports/Cools.

White chicks that hung out with white guys; Marlboro lights.

Also smattering brands includeing Camels, Pall Malls, Lucky Strikes, Bel Aires.

WVDolphan
02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, I'm a teacher & I smoke. I tell kids not to smoke all the time. When they give me the hypocrite look ... I break it down into something they understand - $4.00/day.

You can tell kids that smoking is bad for their health, and they understand it but don't care because they are young and healthy. When you tell them about the addiction that empties your pockets of $4/day, $28/week, $120/month, $1460/year and up ... That gets their attention!

And yet I offered you those 2 free packs the other day and you forgot to get them. :lol:

SpurzN703
02-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes it will cause an epidemic....in about 30-40 years........called Throat Cancer.

Zing

Bumpus
02-21-2009, 02:54 AM
:lol:
Yeah, crap ... I was so mad at myself for f'in screwing up and busting out in 24th (grrr) that I didn't even remember it until I was halfway home from the poker room.