PDA

View Full Version : America's Most Miserable Cities

CedarPhin
02-16-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/29/detroit-stockton-flint-biz-cz_kb_0130miserable.html

There are some more deserving candidates that should have been on there.

Stockton's pretty bad though, really underrated as a bad city.

Discuss.

Dolfan3773
02-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Detriot is a horrible city...and the Lions going 0-16 didnt help

CedarPhin
02-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it's hard to argue with that one. I wonder why cities like St. Louis weren't included.

Stockton is really bad though. It's probably the worst city that people haven't heard of. University of the Pacific is the only nice place, it's like a gated community in the middle of Mogadishu.

Dolfan3773
02-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I live in Miami but this city sucks in those categories they mentioned..for sure were in the top 15

CedarPhin
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Liberty City is in a class of its own.

Tetragrammaton
02-16-2009, 02:25 AM
I thought Orlando was bad. This makes me thankful.

BobDole
02-16-2009, 02:34 AM
I thought Orlando was bad. This makes me thankful.

you thought orlando was bad? stupid and angry people, awful traffic, horrid crime rates (is it a coincidence that these national stories typically happen about 15 minutes away from me? teenagers kidnapped, mothers killing their kids, etc.), rampant unemployment, poorly ranked schools, etc., etc.. orlando is not exactly the happiest place on earth. the only redeeming factors are the night life, the women, and a plethora of things to do - which probably kept it off the list.

Dolfan3773
02-16-2009, 02:49 AM
you thought orlando was bad? stupid and angry people, awful traffic, horrid crime rates (is it a coincidence that these national stories typically happen about 15 minutes away from me? teenagers kidnapped, mothers killing their kids, etc.), rampant unemployment, poorly ranked schools, etc., etc.. orlando is not exactly the happiest place on earth. the only redeeming factors are the night life, the women, and a plethora of things to do - which probably kept it off the list.

I was about to mention, on all these shows like Forensic Files, it has Orlando stories on most of those things you mentioned

BobDole
02-16-2009, 02:58 AM
I was about to mention, on all these shows like Forensic Files, it has Orlando stories on most of those things you mentioned

orlando is seriously depressing if you are aware of your surroundings. every time one of those intense national tragedies take place i'm like 'i have a friend that lives in that neighborhood.' it's past the point of being laughable. :crazy:

Tetragrammaton
02-16-2009, 03:03 AM
What is good about Orlando nightlife? I either drink with UCF students or pretend to be rich in Winter Park. There are too many monsters downtown. My liberal heart can't help but give money to the homeless and their tricks.

BobDole
02-16-2009, 03:20 AM
What is good about Orlando nightlife? I either drink with UCF students or pretend to be rich in Winter Park. There are too many monsters downtown. My liberal heart can't help but give money to the homeless and their tricks.

then we have to go out sometime my friend. i pretty much refuse to go downtown - the only places i'll go are lizzie's, finnhenry's, and once in a blue moon casey's. i feel too old in the raunchy ucf bars - although those girls are hot and easy. i grew up around winter park - so i know what you're saying - and no one hates rollins queers more than me. on the off nights fiddler's is money, friendly confines has its moments, murphy's is solid pretty much any night, kerryman's has a good crowd, jax has talent pretty much all the time, kitty o'shea's has a good crowd - i could go on and on about bars that don't suck that aren't downtown.

have you ever seen 'swingers'? there is a bar attached to the marriott (think its a marriott) called the red fox that is fugging identical to the bar they go to in that flick. perfect place to take a date - or just get drunk and laugh with friends. so much fun.

any night you want to go out let me know. i recently lost my job so i've been an intense lush for about a month now. we'd have fun.

Phinish-Him
02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I live in Jacksonville and I usually go down to Orlando with some friends because the night life is 10 times better and you can usually find good concerts and shows that skip Jacksonville. Last time we went down there was to see Aesop Rock in this out door venue and then Coheed and Cambria the very next week. I didn't realize the problems Orlando faced was so bad.

Tetragrammaton
02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
then we have to go out sometime my friend. i pretty much refuse to go downtown - the only places i'll go are lizzie's, finnhenry's, and once in a blue moon casey's. i feel too old in the raunchy ucf bars - although those girls are hot and easy. i grew up around winter park - so i know what you're saying - and no one hates rollins queers more than me. on the off nights fiddler's is money, friendly confines has its moments, murphy's is solid pretty much any night, kerryman's has a good crowd, jax has talent pretty much all the time, kitty o'shea's has a good crowd - i could go on and on about bars that don't suck that aren't downtown.

have you ever seen 'swingers'? there is a bar attached to the marriott (think its a marriott) called the red fox that is fugging identical to the bar they go to in that flick. perfect place to take a date - or just get drunk and laugh with friends. so much fun.

any night you want to go out let me know. i recently lost my job so i've been an intense lush for about a month now. we'd have fun.

I will have to take you up on that. I am still three months shy of the magical 21, so I really do not have a lot of bar experience.

GoonBoss
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Detroit is terrible. It reminded me of Sarijevo, when it was bad there. Gary, IN is absolutely desolate and miserable. Toledo, OH is godawful.

Vaark
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I'd agree with GB about Gary, perennially the city everyone loves to hate. I'd include Oakland, Camden NJ, E. StlLouis, Wash DC and Baltimore as more evidence that this survey is flawed... and then of course what place these days could be more miserable than New Orleans??

BobDole
02-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I will have to take you up on that. I am still three months shy of the magical 21, so I really do not have a lot of bar experience.

as long as you have something that says you're 21 we'd be fine. even if not - i can't remember the last time i was carded. downtown is the only place that typically cards here - and those dirt hole UCF bars that card at the door. i started going out here while i was still in high school - around 16. and when i was 16 i looked about 12. i get ID'd more for cigarettes than alcohol.

let me know man.

ih8brady
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Buffalo well deserves her spot. Disgusting and harsh weather, crime, planes falling down, few decent jobs and little to no entertainment/nightlife. yauck!

SpaceMountain16
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
<---Happy Philadelphian :)

But a Flyers playoff failure will infuriate me!

CedarPhin
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
I really can't believe Newark and Camden weren't on the list.

SpaceMountain16
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I really can't believe Newark and Camden weren't on the list.

They probably went to Camden to measure the misery but were killed as soon as they stepped out of their cars.

CedarPhin
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Liberty City in Miami's pretty bad. Not really a standalone city though.

I have to agree with Stockton, CA being on that list. The only nice part there is the University of the Pacific, and it's like a gated community in the middle of Mogadishu.

1 dol fan
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I feel bad for all you guys that live in sucky cities. La Crosse Wisconsin rocks. It's population is a grand total of 75,000 and it is off the Mississippi River and has 3 colleges too.

La Crosse City Brewery is home to the worlds largest six pack. This six pack contains 22,200 barrels of beer - enough to fill 7,340,796, twelve ounce cans. Placed end to end these cans would run 565 miles, enough to supply one person a six pack a day for 3,351 years.
La Crosse, with over 360 bars, is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most bars per capita and also for the most bars on one street.

http://www.hucks.com/rivertrivia.html

We pretty much rock and we have one helluva Oktoberfest (or as I like to call it, OK-TO-BEER-FEST or NOT-SO-SOBER-FEST) We have fun and probably one of the highest underage drinking rates in the country (but thats alright since I'm 17)

Gilo45
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I think some of you are lucky to have not visited certain places in the UK. Buffalo is happy smiley candy land compared to some of the places we have here.

Tetragrammaton
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I think some of you are lucky to have not visited certain places in the UK. Buffalo is happy smiley candy land compared to some of the places we have here.

What places in particular? I have only been to London, and I loved it, but then again I did tourist things so I do not know that much.

GoonBoss
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
What places in particular? I have only been to London, and I loved it, but then again I did tourist things so I do not know that much.

There was one city in England where DHL wouldn't deliver due to violence. Keep in mind DHL was, at the time, the only private transporter delivering to the Green Zone in Iraq. I'm thinking it was a portion of Liverpool they wouldn't go into, but I could be wrong on that.

GoonBoss
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh....Racine, WI is miserable.

CedarPhin
02-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I can't stand the way people from Wisconsin talk. That's just me though.

CedarPhin
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM

I've heard Manchester is pretty miserable.

Blackocrates
02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Buffalo well deserves her spot. Disgusting and harsh weather, crime, planes falling down, few decent jobs and little to no entertainment/nightlife. yauck!

:lol: I was just waiting for it.

Gilo45
02-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Central London is great, good atmosphere, stuff to do, fairly nice people, everything is different or intresting etc.

But yeah, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds all horrible places. The houses are made out of these dark brown bricks and just look horrible, the sky is always grey, lots of violence and crime, mainly over soccer. Hate to be that negative but its true.

#1 Fan
02-19-2009, 10:34 AM
lol @ detroit

binky
02-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Everyjuan in Cali now that the uber bloated budget is going to Arnold. :boohoo:

Dudeman
02-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Central London is great, good atmosphere, stuff to do, fairly nice people, everything is different or intresting etc.

But yeah, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds all horrible places. The houses are made out of these dark brown bricks and just look horrible, the sky is always grey, lots of violence and crime, mainly over soccer. Hate to be that negative but its true.

but hey, at least Liverpool is the car theft capital of the world! :hi5:

Noodle Arm
02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I can't stand the way people from Wisconsin talk. That's just me though.

I just recently "boinked" a girl from Wisconsin (bless the college program at my work), and yeah...it was pretty amusing. I've never heard sounds like that come out of a human being in my entire life.

I'm currently living in Orlando after being born and raised in Miami, it's definitely different. Traffic IS better even with all the tourists, but that crime rate stuff is true. Oh but that whole nightlife thing, I just can't see it. I find it pretty dull. Guess I was just spoiled.

BobDole
02-25-2009, 05:12 AM
I just recently "boinked" a girl from Wisconsin (bless the college program at my work), and yeah...it was pretty amusing. I've never heard sounds like that come out of a human being in my entire life.

I'm currently living in Orlando after being born and raised in Miami, it's definitely different. Traffic IS better even with all the tourists, but that crime rate stuff is true. Oh but that whole nightlife thing, I just can't see it. I find it pretty dull. Guess I was just spoiled.

you were definitely spoiled in miami. the night life there is out of control. but it's too much - between how expensive it is to go out, dress codes, standing in lines - its just such a production to go out there. here i just throw on some shorts and a t shirt and go drinkin. it's more 'chill' to go out here. and much, much cheaper.