PDA

View Full Version : Directors

Blackocrates
02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Who do you like? Who do you not like? Why?

Just in the last year or two I've started to pay attention to directors. Before, I would just watch a movie and not even know who directed it. For whatever reason Spielberg was always the exception, I suppose because they use his name as a big marketing tool.

Anyway, I really started to pay attention to who the director was when I was talking with a friend and I started listing, what I thought were random unrelated movies. They ended up being a bunch of Coen brother films. Ever since then I have started following who was doing what.

I've mentioned this before and I'm going to again but I love the Coen's as well as Michael Mann.

I hate Spike Lee, it's hard to put my finger on it but he's just terrible. I think he's an amateur, his editing and transition scenes are often horrific. I know what he's trying to do, but to me he's falling well short of his goal. I like the topics he's covered but to me he ends up butchering the hell out of them. There are a few exceptions, 25th Hour, Summer of Sam, and Malcolm X were decent, but I still have problems with them. To me he tries too hard to be unique and original.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino. I used to hate the guy but then I gave both Kill Bill's a second chance and I was able to stomach them, especially the second one. Pulp Fiction was entertaining but it didn't blow me away. I wanted to like Reservoir Dogs but I found it to only be an average movie.

Tetragrammaton
02-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Paul Thomas Anderson is probably my favorite director working today. Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, and There Will Be Blood are all fantastic.

There are others I like, such as the Coens, Wes Anderson, and Darren Aronofsky, but they are too hit and miss.

CedarPhin
02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Scorcese, Sergio Leone, Tarantino, John Dahl.

d-day
02-20-2009, 01:40 AM
all about kubrick for me - i love his pacing - he directs like a good piece of music - with lots of space AND tension - like music, movies should build and his always do - his camera work is very dynamic and there's always attention to character

CedarPhin
02-20-2009, 01:46 AM
I forgot to add him.

He had a ton of great flicks. Same with Hitchcock.

ryanosaur2000
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Akira Kuroasawa has to be my top director. He has had such a massive influence on Western cinema. Many of his movies have been remade by western directors (Seven Samurai as Magnificent Seven, Rashomon remade many times etc). Speilberg and Lucas consider him one of the greatest of all time. I have over 30 of his movies on DVD and would recommend him to anyone serious about movies.

Ran is a great place to start.

I am also a fan of Wes Anderson. He has such a great sense of humour and style.

BARF
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
how bout bay

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I third Wes Anderson. My favorite from him isn't one anybody else usually picks, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. That movie cracks me up everytime I watch it.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
how bout bay

He sure can blow **** up. His commercial cracks me up, totally awesome. :lol:

Tetragrammaton
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
how bout bay

As a joke? Sure.

Chris, I like Life Aquatic, but the more criticism I hear about it, the more tempted I am to hate it. Peer pressure, you know. The Royal Tenenbaums is still one of my favorite movies.

Maybe I put Aronofsky up prematurely. The Wrestler is amazing, but his other movies are too out there for me. Requiem for a Dream is great, but I admire it more than I like it.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
As a joke? Sure.

Chris, I like Life Aquatic, but the more criticism I hear about it, the more tempted I am to hate it. Peer pressure, you know. The Royal Tenenbaums is still one of my favorite movies.

Maybe I put Aronofsky up prematurely. The Wrestler is amazing, but his other movies are too out there for me. Requiem for a Dream is great, but I admire it more than I like it.

Ignore the haters. Have you seen Pi? It's pretty good, kind of odd though.

CedarPhin
02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Life Aquatic was a great flick.

SpaceMountain16
02-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Scorsese is my favorite.....

I like many directors though, Spielberg, Sergio Leone, Chris Nolan. Even my boy Tarantino!

Tetragrammaton
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM
How could I forget Woody Allen? I am in the process of watching all of his films.

SpaceMountain16
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Who do you like? Who do you not like? Why?

Just in the last year or two I've started to pay attention to directors. Before, I would just watch a movie and not even know who directed it. For whatever reason Spielberg was always the exception, I suppose because they use his name as a big marketing tool.

Anyway, I really started to pay attention to who the director was when I was talking with a friend and I started listing, what I thought were random unrelated movies. They ended up being a bunch of Coen brother films. Ever since then I have started following who was doing what.

I've mentioned this before and I'm going to again but I love the Coen's as well as Michael Mann.

I hate Spike Lee, it's hard to put my finger on it but he's just terrible. I think he's an amateur, his editing and transition scenes are often horrific. I know what he's trying to do, but to me he's falling well short of his goal. I like the topics he's covered but to me he ends up butchering the hell out of them. There are a few exceptions, 25th Hour, Summer of Sam, and Malcolm X were decent, but I still have problems with them. To me he tries too hard to be unique and original.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino. I used to hate the guy but then I gave both Kill Bill's a second chance and I was able to stomach them, especially the second one. Pulp Fiction was entertaining but it didn't blow me away. I wanted to like Reservoir Dogs but I found it to only be an average movie.

I really like those movies that you mentioned, but i personally think his best movie is Jackie Brown which stars Robert De Niro, Samuel L. Jackson and Pam Grier. That was a pretty awesome movie.

BobDole
02-25-2009, 01:53 AM
coen brothers, tarantino, kubrick, scorcese, fincher, carpenter, thomas anderson, jonze, craven (last house on the left remake coming out soon - don't know if i trust this guy ilianis to do it right), and nolan are all directors i keep an eye on.

sam raimi deserves an honorable mention for the evil dead series - and there is a remake in the works. (i was so excited when i heard this i clubbed a baby seal.)

i like michael mann as well - but after he did last of the mohicans and heat back-to-back he left my expectations high and hasn't matched them since. heat was the first dvd i ever bought.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
There are more directors that I dislike than I like. I enjoy Kubrick very much. One of my favorite scenes of his is during Full Metal Jacket. Right after the one Marine fires up the VC running across the street, "Surfer Bird" kicks in. It is Kubrick at his finest. Notice the perfect juxtaposition of music and action. The sheer ammount of moving parts is unreal. Absolutely perfect. It starts running out of steam at the end with some contrived and forced sounding dialouge, but until the actors start speaking, it is transcendant. I LOVE Ridley Scott. I have always enjoyed his movies. He did an excellent job with Blackhawk Down. Blade Runner is still one of my favorite movies. I also enjoy Peckenpah for the most part, though you do know what you are going to get.

Shaymalan is absolute crap. I can't stand his movies and will never watch another one. Spike lee is sort of like Keanu Reeves....He made a big splash that was good and promised to blossom and, he just never did. Lee is a joke to me. I don't mind Tarentino, but I think he's sort of getting hack now. I absolutely would like to punch Woody Allen in the neck.

Blackocrates
08-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Papa's got a brand new bag: I'll also throw in my three favorites from each.

Charlie Chaplin- The Great Dictator, Modern Times, The Gold Rush
Fritz Lang- Metropolis, M, The Big Heat
Frank Capra- It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life
Alfred Hitchcock- Rebecca, Rope, North by Northwest
John Huston- The Maltese Falcon, The Asphalt Jungle, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Akira Kurosawa- Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru
Billy Wilder- Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd., The Apartment
Orson Welles- Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Touch of Evil
Ingmar Bergman- The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona
Roman Polanski- Knife in the Water, Chinatown, The Pianist
Stanley Kubrick- The Killing, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove...
Frederico Fellini- Amarcord, 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria

Tetragrammaton
08-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I have been a big fan of the French New Wave recently, particularly Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut. Godard's best, so far, is Pierrot le fou. Stunning. As for Truffaut, he is probably most famous here for making Fahrenheit 451, although my favorite is the 400 Blows.

Blackocrates
08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I have been a big fan of the French New Wave recently, particularly Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut. Godard's best, so far, is Pierrot le fou. Stunning. As for Truffaut, he is probably most famous here for making Fahrenheit 451, although my favorite is the 400 Blows.

I haven't seen enough of their films to make a solid judgment. They're obviously legends. 400 Blows is an amazing movie.

For a comedic twist you should check out some Jacques Tati. Mon Oncle is my favorite of his. It's slapstick mixed with satire. I usually hate slapstick but this is good stuff.

I'd also recommend some Italian films. Federico Fellini has a lot of great films.

Have you seen any Ingmar Bergman? Can't sleep on the Swedes.