PDA

View Full Version : Comedy

Blackocrates
02-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I thought there was a thread for comedy movies but I didn't see one. I just recently watched two newer ones and they both cracked me up. Hot Rod and Hot Fuzz.

If you like SNL or Family Guy you will like Hot Rod, there's a bunch of stupid laughs in it and I couldn't get enough of them.

Hot Fuzz is a british comedy made/played by the same people that created Shaun of the Dead.

I loved both of them, they're not my favorites or anything but I got a kick out of them.

LouPhinFan
02-21-2009, 11:20 PM
My favorite of all time is Super Troopers.

A close second are some of the Pink Panther movies. The old ones with Peter Sellers, not the new stupid ones with Steve Martin.

Tetragrammaton
02-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Hot Fuzz is so funny. Most comedies only make me laugh on the inside, by my stomach hurt the first time I watched Hot Fuzz.

The Brits just do comedy better. See the UK version of the Office versus ours.

Blackocrates
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM

I love both of them, but you're right the british version is so much better.

d-day
02-22-2009, 02:00 AM
anyone else feel british humor is stupid and annoying?

u.s.a.! u.s.a.! u.s.a.!

SpaceMountain16
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
I hated Hot Fuzz so much the first time i saw it, i turned it off during the first 30 minutes. One day i figured i'd give it another chance, i watched the whole thing and thought it was terrific.

tylerdolphin
02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I laughed until I cried at Hot Rod. It was a pleasant surprise for sure. I thought i wouldnt like it, it seemed like it would be kind of a Napoleon Dynamite type of deal, and I hated that movie. I got dragged into watching Hot Rod and loved it.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I laughed until I cried at Hot Rod. It was a pleasant surprise for sure. I thought i wouldnt like it, it seemed like it would be kind of a Napoleon Dynamite type of deal, and I hated that movie. I got dragged into watching Hot Rod and loved it.

I thought it wouldn't be any good either. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

BrewMan13
02-24-2009, 01:18 AM

u.s.a.! u.s.a.! u.s.a.!

I wouldnt say annoying, so much as just not funny. I saw Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz, and I dont get it.

SpaceMountain16
02-24-2009, 01:31 AM

u.s.a.! u.s.a.! u.s.a.!

Monty Python i dislike severely, but i do love John Cleese in both Fawlty Towers and his movies such as A Fish Called Wanda.

CedarPhin
02-24-2009, 01:53 AM

u.s.a.! u.s.a.! u.s.a.!

I've never seen the allure of it.

JCane
02-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Hot Rod is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Plus, it has Isla Fisher who is easily the hottest girl in the history of ever.

CedarPhin
02-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Peter Sellers was one of my all time favorites.

After the Fox, Being There, The Party, etc...all hilarious flicks.

BARF
02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
wedding crashers, superbad

CedarPhin
02-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Big Lebowski, Waiting

BARF
02-24-2009, 03:19 AM
coming to america. classic

CedarPhin
02-24-2009, 03:47 AM
That one was pretty damn funny.

BARF
02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
spaceballs how could i forget

SpaceMountain16
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
spaceballs how could i forget

Bought it yesterday from Walmart for $4

Farmer
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
i stopped watching will ferrell movies after i saw bewitched/blades of glory. so what did yall think of step brothers/semi-pro?

my favs are old school, wedding crashers and billy madison

CedarPhin
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Step Brothers was pretty good.

JTBRLZ
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Talladega Nights I think is his funniest.

Saving Silverman is one of my favorites.

ryanosaur2000
02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Hot Fuzz is so funny. Most comedies only make me laugh on the inside, by my stomach hurt the first time I watched Hot Fuzz.

I agree with that too bud.

BobDole
02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
i stopped watching will ferrell movies after i saw bewitched/blades of glory. so what did yall think of step brothers/semi-pro?

my favs are old school, wedding crashers and billy madison

semi-pro was weak but step brothers was hilarious. john c reilly and ferrell played off each other perfectly. i've been a big reilly fan since seeing boogie nights.

my favorites are tommy boy and baseketball. the dialogue in baseketball is just too much.

'ste-eve perry. ste-eve perry. i shoulda been go-one ...'

'dude, i said no more journey psyche outs.'

ryanosaur2000
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are great movies. I can see however that some people won't get the joke. British humour is a lot drier/ more restrained than American humour in general. I don't mean that as a criticism of American comedies at all. I love a lot of American comedy, Will Ferrell at his best is hilarious and the early Farrelly Brothers stuff is great. Its just totally different to British humour (and Irish humour for that matter)...maybe its a bit broader? The likes of Wes Anderson (Life Aquatic, Rushmore) kind of bridges the gap a bit between the two...its American humour to an extent but with a European flavour...if that makes sense to you!?! lol

Of course, both sides of the Atlantic turn out some real s**t also.

Blackocrates
02-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Has anybody seen Hamlet 2? That movie cracked me up. Plus, I couldn't agree more with what they say about Tucson. :lol:

Blackocrates
02-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are great movies. I can see however that some people won't get the joke. British humour is a lot drier/ more restrained than American humour in general. I don't mean that as a criticism of American comedies at all. I love a lot of American comedy, Will Ferrell at his best is hilarious and the early Farrelly Brothers stuff is great. Its just totally different to British humour (and Irish humour for that matter)...maybe its a bit broader? The likes of Wes Anderson (Life Aquatic, Rushmore) kind of bridges the gap a bit between the two...its American humour to an extent but with a European flavour...if that makes sense to you!?! lol

I agree Wes Anderson does bridge the gap. I'd love to see more Ricky Gervais but it looks like he's just going to be doing little movie roles. Although I was glad to see him get a leading part in Ghost Town. There were a lot of laughs in it. I also liked the show Extras, the second season was hilarious when they added more Darren Lamb (Stephen Merchant). My only complaint about British comedies is that they end too quickly. I would have loved to seen another season or two of The Office or Extras.

Blackocrates
02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
semi-pro was weak but step brothers was hilarious. john c reilly and ferrell played off each other perfectly. i've been a big reilly fan since seeing boogie nights.

:lol: I love seeing those two together.

The first time I watched Talladega Nights I didn't like it that much. But then I started to talk about it with a friend and we couldn't stop laughing. The more and more I watch it, the more I like it.

BobDole
02-26-2009, 02:59 AM
:lol: I love seeing those two together.

The first time I watched Talladega Nights I didn't like it that much. But then I started to talk about it with a friend and we couldn't stop laughing. The more and more I watch it, the more I like it.

that's funny - i didn't like it that much either the first time i watched it b/c my expectations were so high. the second time i saw it i lost it during the dinner table scene when he's praying to '6 pound 7 ounce baby Jesus.' i've liked it more every time i've seen it.

CedarPhin
02-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Old School was great. One of my favorites.

BobDole
02-26-2009, 03:28 AM

they are great movies. own them both on dvd. shaun of the dead is one of my top 10 favorite comedies. did you by any chance catch the third installment of those movies? it was called run fat boy run. it was funny as hell.

i love british humor. it's so much smarter than ours - american humor is great but just so over the top. british humor is subtle and intelligent - albeit sometimes pretentious and obscure.

BARF
02-26-2009, 04:18 AM
i love will farell, but do not like his movies call me crazy but i do not think there that funny

CedarPhin
02-26-2009, 04:22 AM
they are great movies. own them both on dvd. shaun of the dead is one of my top 10 favorite comedies. did you by any chance catch the third installment of those movies? it was called run fat boy run. it was funny as hell.

i love british humor. it's so much smarter than ours - american humor is great but just so over the top. british humor is subtle and intelligent - albeit sometimes pretentious and obscure.

I just don't see what's so funny about a bunch of guys dressing up like women and masquerading about.

I mean, Monty Python was funny, but I really don't see it as being this step above American humor.

BobDole
02-26-2009, 05:56 AM
I just don't see what's so funny about a bunch of guys dressing up like women and masquerading about.

I mean, Monty Python was funny, but I really don't see it as being this step above American humor.

i don't think that stuff is funny either. i was thinking more along the lines of the uk version of the office and stuff like that. the mr bean style humor doesn't do it for me either.

but guys cross dressing can be funny as hell. the old snl skits with adam sandler and chris farley come to mind.