PDA

View Full Version : Any fisherman out there?

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Spring is just around the corner and I have fishing fever. I just purchased a truck load of fishing supplies and I'm anxious to wet my line. Spawning season is just around the corner. I only fish freshwater, it's a location thing. :lol:

CedarPhin
02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
I enjoy deep sea fishing.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I enjoy deep sea fishing.

What do you fish for? I've never been. I have a tentative plan to go to Costa Rica with my father in a year and catch some Marlin. It's either that or Brazil for Peacock bass and other exotics.

fin-atic
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Dude I am a major Bass fisherman and I got the fever too. I am going this weekend.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Dude I am a major Bass fisherman and I got the fever too. I am going this weekend.

You're lucky, you live down there with the big pigs. I lived in San Diego for a while but I wasn't able to reel in a big one. The fishing pressure out there is ridiculous. They have limited lakes and strict laws (no night fishing). I picked up some new fishing methods while I was out there. Drop shot rigging is all the rage in Southern California.

I'll be trout fishing until late next month. At that time our Smallmouth bass get ready for the spawn and I have a great Smallmouth river (New River) just next door. I won't start Largemouth bass fishing until April.

What type of gear do you use? I'm going to be throwing a lot of swimbaits early on and see if I can get a fatty to bite.

Arsenal WV
02-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Not too many good places to fish at here in WV. There are small creeks,ponds,lakes everywhere, but half of them they do not stock

I love catfishing at night time, so peaceful....

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Not too many good places to fish at here in WV. There are small creeks,ponds,lakes everywhere, but half of them they do not stock

I love catfishing at night time, so peaceful....

We've the New River which has world class smallmouth bass fishing. Big cats as well especially at Bluestone Dam.

I love night fishing for catfish as well.

Bumpus
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
That's right in my wheelhouse, boys ...

Sittin' on the bank of the Ohio River, crackling fire behind me, trusty cooler of beer at my side, star filled sky, and two lines cast out before me.

Can it get any better than that?

Ahhh...
Is it summer yet?

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
That's right in my wheelhouse, boys ...

Sittin' on the bank of the Ohio River, crackling fire behind me, trusty cooler of beer at my side, star filled sky, and two lines cast out before me.

Can it get any better than that?

Ahhh...
Is it summer yet?

The only way it can get better is if those buggers are biting. I want to fish the Ohio River, it holds big Blue Catfish that no other place in WV has.
I've a nice catfish setup: 7' heavy action Cabela's XML casting rod with a big Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reel. I usually put 20 lb. fluorocarbon on it but I also have a heavy braided line.

CedarPhin
02-23-2009, 11:44 PM
What do you fish for? I've never been. I have a tentative plan to go to Costa Rica with my father in a year and catch some Marlin. It's either that or Brazil for Peacock bass and other exotics.

Mahi Mahi, Marlin, Wahoo, etc.

Sometimes I just enjoy going out and throwing a line out...the best part is that you never know what you're going to catch.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I love all the WV'ians getting in on this thread, especially with catfishing. I wonder if we're going to be stereotyped? :lol:

P_lock
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
I love going bass fishing. Grew up doing it and used to do local tournaments with my brother (that is, before he moved down south to Alabama).

The only problem is that being up here in NJ means that I have at the least a full month before the weather becomes tolerable again. Plus the fact that I have no fishing equipment at school doesn't help the cause.

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Mahi Mahi, Marlin, Wahoo, etc.

Sometimes I just enjoy going out and throwing a line out...the best part is that you never know what you're going to catch.

You're lucky. I've only seen them caught on television. I've eaten Mahi Mahi numerous times though. That's one of the best tasting fish I have ever had, definitely top three.

CedarPhin
02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Wahoo's pretty good too. The one I caught, we had to hit it with a baseball bat to kill it. Definitely lives up to the name.

I do some catfishing around CA, mostly around the numerous canals. Done some trout fishing around Montana too.

Good times. This has potential to be a great thread.

Findetta
02-24-2009, 12:10 AM
You guys in WV need to do yourselves a favor and come down here and drop a line. Largemouth and Peacocks everywhere you can find freshwater, as well as tarpon and snook. If you go to Boca Grande in May-July its the Tarpon fishing capitol of the world and then you can follow them south to the Keys if you want. Sailfishing in May off Biscayne Bay is pretty damn fun too. My buddy is a Captain and takes out charters if anyone is interested. Ha, he used to Captain Mike Vick's boat until Vick got in trouble.

Arsenal WV
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd love to come fish the waters of Florida man. Get out on a boat and go fishing all day

Findetta
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd love to come fish the waters of Florida man. Get out on a boat and go fishing all day

Ya man, just make sure you keep your shirt on. I've seen some pretty mean sunburns out on the water.

Bumpus
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I fish almost entirely freshwater (kinda landlocked in Wheeling)

However, the Ohio R. affords the chance at many species ... catfish (flathead, channel, blue), bass (largemouth, smallmouth, white, striped, hybrid), carp, walleye, sauger, saugeye, gar, drum, and various pan-fish to name the most common.

Although, currently it's TROUT season. Ahhh, trout season. You've gotta love the first fish that starts biting every year. Unfortunatly, trout can't live in the Ohio R. yet (too polluted) ... Luckily, there are a few nice lakes in the area that have already been stocked (now if the damn ice would just melt I'd be in business)

Whenever I get the chance, I love deep-sea fishing. During Easter weekend a few years back, I landed a 46-inch Wahoo (man, that SOB was fast - and tasty:)) Two years ago my buddy got married in the Virgin Islands. For his bachelor party we chartered a boat and went Marlin fishing - alas, luck was not with us that day. All we hooked were a couple of barracudas. All in all, very fun! I sometimes wish that I lived closer to the Ocean.

Blackocrates
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
You guys in WV need to do yourselves a favor and come down here and drop a line. Largemouth and Peacocks everywhere you can find freshwater, as well as tarpon and snook. If you go to Boca Grande in May-July its the Tarpon fishing capitol of the world and then you can follow them south to the Keys if you want. Sailfishing in May off Biscayne Bay is pretty damn fun too. My buddy is a Captain and takes out charters if anyone is interested. Ha, he used to Captain Mike Vick's boat until Vick got in trouble.

Man, I would love to but as always it comes down to the cash flow. What are his rates?

Are the peacocks growing to the size of the ones in Brazil? Every time I watch a fishing show on Florida peacocks they're always sort of small. What's their weight range? I'd also love to catch some tarpon and snook. Those things fight like crazy and are huge. At least that's what I see on television. :lol:

Findetta
02-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Man, I would love to but as always it comes down to the cash flow. What are his rates?

Are the peacocks growing to the size of the ones in Brazil? Every time I watch a fishing show on Florida peacocks they're always sort of small. What's their weight range? I'd also love to catch some tarpon and snook. Those things fight like crazy and are huge. At least that's what I see on television. :lol:

Ya I hear you on that, Ive only been because I grew up with him and my cousin does it sometimes to. I talked to both and my buddy Jimmy said his minimum is $350 for 5 hours and that can be split between 3 people. My cousin said depending on what you want to catch but when you go to Boca Grande during Tarpon season its $100 an hour and you are all but guaranteed.
The Peacocks in Florida don't get as big as the ones in Brazil because of water temp and food supply. Your average peacock here is 2lbs and they get as big as 12lbs. Also you don't even have to go out on a boat to catch Tarpon or snook, I've caught both in canals and off piers and lit docks. And ya you set into almost any snook or tarpon and its on, when you get a 200lb Tarpon on its out of control. I've had em jump over the boat and seen them cut in half by sharks. One time I was releasing a snook and a dolphin nailed him right next to the boat then we tried to throw the next snook away from it but the dolphin still got em. Its wild.

Blackocrates
02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Ya I hear you on that, Ive only been because I grew up with him and my cousin does it sometimes to. I talked to both and my buddy Jimmy said his minimum is $350 for 5 hours and that can be split between 3 people. My cousin said depending on what you want to catch but when you go to Boca Grande during Tarpon season its $100 an hour and you are all but guaranteed.
The Peacocks in Florida don't get as big as the ones in Brazil because of water temp and food supply. Your average peacock here is 2lbs and they get as big as 12lbs. Also you don't even have to go out on a boat to catch Tarpon or snook, I've caught both in canals and off piers and lit docks. And ya you set into almost any snook or tarpon and its on, when you get a 200lb Tarpon on its out of control. I've had em jump over the boat and seen them cut in half by sharks. One time I was releasing a snook and a dolphin nailed him right next to the boat then we tried to throw the next snook away from it but the dolphin still got em. Its wild.

Man, you live the life.

I'll have to talk to my father about it, those prices are definitely reasonable. They charge about the same here for a guided tour down the New River for smallmouth bass. It's around an 8-10 hour fishing day. I'll PM you when I figure something out.

I thought that what the weights were for peacocks, they still fight like crazy I'm sure. I would lose my mind if I hooked up with a 100 lb. tarpon let alone a 200 lber. Every person I talk to that has done some serious ocean fishing has crazy stories with sharks, whales, dolphins, etc. About the only danger I've come across is a random redneck that doesn't know how to act right. :lol:

Findetta
02-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Man, you live the life.

I'll have to talk to my father about it, those prices are definitely reasonable. They charge about the same here for a guided tour down the New River for smallmouth bass. It's around an 8-10 hour fishing day. I'll PM you when I figure something out.

I thought that what the weights were for peacocks, they still fight like crazy I'm sure. I would lose my mind if I hooked up with a 100 lb. tarpon let alone a 200 lber. Every person I talk to that has done some serious ocean fishing has crazy stories with sharks, whales, dolphins, etc. About the only danger I've come across is a random redneck that doesn't know how to act right. :lol:

Anytime you want to come down here just send me a message and I'll do my best to set you up.
The peacocks fight pretty good its fun. First time you set into a big tarpon its a rush and a half, it never fails though, I don't know how anyone can just relax while fighting a monster. I could tell you some stories though man, none of us just fish. One of my buddies would go out in the Everglades to catch iguanas and snakes, only at night of course. My cousin has been hunting gators for a while and I plan on going out next season. I have caught sharks and alligators. My iguana hunting buddy kicked a shark in the head while snorkeling a few months ago. Lol no whale stories though, aside from a lady that was beached one day. I've seen dolphins, turtles, and flying fish while out on the water. No whales aside from this one that washed up in front of me one day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtM6OzN5Zs

CedarPhin
02-25-2009, 06:50 AM
How would you like to reel this in?
http://news.aol.com/article/monster-stingray-caught-in-thailand/356255

Arsenal WV
02-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Imagine hooking into this

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Arsenal WV
02-25-2009, 07:13 AM
You guys are driving me nuts. I'm stuck in Keyser going to college and don't have time to fish right now haha

Blackocrates
02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Anytime you want to come down here just send me a message and I'll do my best to set you up.
The peacocks fight pretty good its fun. First time you set into a big tarpon its a rush and a half, it never fails though, I don't know how anyone can just relax while fighting a monster. I could tell you some stories though man, none of us just fish. One of my buddies would go out in the Everglades to catch iguanas and snakes, only at night of course. My cousin has been hunting gators for a while and I plan on going out next season. I have caught sharks and alligators. My iguana hunting buddy kicked a shark in the head while snorkeling a few months ago. Lol no whale stories though, aside from a lady that was beached one day. I've seen dolphins, turtles, and flying fish while out on the water. No whales aside from this one that washed up in front of me one day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtM6OzN5Zs

Will do.

Whenever you get the time I would love to hear about your stories with fishing, snakes and gators.

Blackocrates
02-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Do you guys have the Versus (VS) channel? There's a show on there called The Hunt for Big Fish. If you haven't seen it check it out, it's great. The man's name is Larry Dahlberg and he's an excellent fisherman. He travels the world only looking for monster fish. He spends a lot of time in South America catching the many different species down there. Give it a go if you come across it.

CedarPhin
02-26-2009, 01:22 AM
I haven't watched Vs. in a long time, I usually watch it during CFB and the occasional NHL game.

Bumpus
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I finally got out for some trout fishing today ... caught a nice 15in. Rainbow.

Blackocrates
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM

I did the same. Nice catch, did you take a picture? I didn't have any luck. My local catch and release stream was total combat fishing today. Everybody was out and every hole had been hit since day break. The worst part is the strict restrictions on catch and release streams were severely being broken. Most people were fishing with live bait, which isn't allowed. I was handicapped with my artificial lures. It was still nice to get out though.

poornate
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
We have a private 14 acre lake that you can float on all day without seeing a soul... while you are floating you can also pull in 40 fish including a dozen citation crappie....

Findetta
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
wow seeing this thread come back up reminded me I made a nice Christmas tree reef, ya, we sank 4 Christmas trees, the fish love them. I might have to stop by there tomorrow.

Blackocrates
03-12-2009, 02:46 AM
We have a private 14 acre lake that you can float on all day without seeing a soul... while you are floating you can also pull in 40 fish including a dozen citation crappie....

Can I come and fish? :D

Blackocrates
03-12-2009, 02:48 AM

What are you using? I'm still getting skunked, 0-3. I hope tomorrow brings a better result, I bought some new gadgets.

d-day
03-12-2009, 03:02 AM
we fish off jupiter on a charter boat called the black dog - never a time when we aren't pulling something up - so much snapper a few miles out - mutton, vermillion, etc - another 10 miles and we fish for dolphin - captain is a buddy - $75 for 4 hours!

CedarPhin
03-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Deep Sea Fishing is fantastic...just because you never really know what you're going to reel in.

I remember I went out one time and caught a giant Humu Humu Triggerfish, then a Goatfish, another time, Wahoo and Mahi Mahi.

Good stuff.

Bumpus
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
What are you using? I'm still getting skunked, 0-3. I hope tomorrow brings a better result, I bought some new gadgets.

Well, I caught that one on Lemon Powerbait.

My favorite trout lure is the Vibrax (made by Blue Fox) ... it's kinda similar in appearance to a Rooster-tail, but it has a bell-style "clacker" that draws fish from a distance. They come in several colors (I seem to have the best luck with light blue, but it depends on conditions) These also work well for bass (bass - 1/4 oz. / trout - 1/8 oz. size) For my money ... these are worth their weight in gold.

Mepps used to make a lure called "Thunderbug" - it ruled!!! Was basically a rooster-tail with an inverted heart spinner blade (bug's wings) ... I only have two of them left and I haven't been able to find them in stores anywhere for several years.:(

aquaattak
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Fishing....What's Fishing??????

Bumpus
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Deep Sea Fishing is fantastic...just because you never really know what you're going to reel in.

I remember I went out one time and caught a giant Humu Humu Triggerfish, then a Goatfish, another time, Wahoo and Mahi Mahi.

Good stuff.

Yeah, I love deep-sea fishing. I rarely get the chance though...

I did boat a 46 in. Wahoo once though.

Findetta
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Well I tried the Christmas Tree reef I made in the lake at my grandparents house..
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/03/Meanddadwithbass-1.jpg Thats me and my dad with the first bass I caught as soon as a dropped a line right off the reef.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/03/Kevinwith10ft2ingator-1.jpg That's my cousin Kevin with a gator he bagged a few months ago, he was also with me at my grandparents yesterday, and if you come down and he's not busy he will put you on the fish.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/03/meandpeacockbassatgrandmas0309-1.jpg That's the only peacock we caught on the day, we caught a total of 5 bass. 4 were in a span of 2 minutes but didn't get pics of all of them because it happened so fast. We caught the 4 on a spot we usually do well, yesterday we found out part of the reason, there is a sunken boat in about 20 feet of water and the fish were swarming it just like offshore.

Blackocrates
03-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Beautiful peacock. Nice largemouth as well. Damn, that's a huge gator.

Bumpus
03-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I caught 4 Rainbow Trout on Sat.

(sigh) Only one was big enough to keep. Although, the first one I caught (8 inch) actually broke my ultra-light as I was swinging it into the boat, then broke the hook off in his jaw as I was removing it. :lol: He earned his freedom.

On a side note: Why in the hell do people keep dinky little trout? I swear to god, if I see one more moron take a stringer full of 6-inch stocked trout out of the water I'm gonna f'in snap. These are some of the same idiots that complain there aren't any big fish. Dee-Dee-Dee!

CedarPhin
03-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I love deep-sea fishing. I rarely get the chance though...

I did boat a 46 in. Wahoo once though.

Wahoo are great to eat.

CedarPhin
03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
I caught 4 Rainbow Trout on Sat.

(sigh) Only one was big enough to keep. Although, the first one I caught (8 inch) actually broke my ultra-light as I was swinging it into the boat, then broke the hook off in his jaw as I was removing it. :lol: He earned his freedom.

On a side note: Why in the hell do people keep dinky little trout? I swear to god, if I see one more moron take a stringer full of 6-inch stocked trout out of the water I'm gonna f'in snap. These are some of the same idiots that complain there aren't any big fish. Dee-Dee-Dee!

I knew a guy that used to catch and mount minnows. Why he did, I have no idea.

CedarPhin
03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Nice pics JP.

Bumpus
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Wahoo are great to eat.

Mmmmm...

I agree!

fin-atic
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Dude I just live up in West Palm Beach. I have caught a ton of Largemouth in my days, but have never caught any Peacock. I have a bass boat and can bring it down if you can put is on to those peacock bass.

-Matt

Findetta
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Beautiful peacock. Nice largemouth as well. Damn, that's a huge gator.

Ya that peacock was average size, the largemouth was a good size, and yes sir that is a pretty big gator. It also helps that none of us are real big guys so any animal or fish we get looks a lot bigger :kick:. haha honestly though that peacock was a little under 2lbs, that largemouth was a hefty 2lbs and that gator was no smaller than 10ft no longer than 12ft.

Findetta
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice pics JP.

Thanks, not a bad day at the office. You don't happen to have a pic of the biggest minnow that dude caught do you? haha. Why would someone catch..and count minnows? Please ask him and let us know.

Findetta
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
we fish off jupiter on a charter boat called the black dog - never a time when we aren't pulling something up - so much snapper a few miles out - mutton, vermillion, etc - another 10 miles and we fish for dolphin - captain is a buddy - $75 for 4 hours!

Never fished off Jupiter. Probably because the fish just line our coasts. That Captain is your friend though, $75 for 4 hours.. and you are catchin fish, great deal.

Findetta
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Dude I just live up in West Palm Beach. I have caught a ton of Largemouth in my days, but have never caught any Peacock. I have a bass boat and can bring it down if you can put is on to those peacock bass.

-Matt

Dude I can't believe you have never caught a Peacock, they are much more aggressive than largemouth and there was a period all I caught was Peacock. No need for a boat, just a blindfold. :mummy: haha is that smilie new? Anyway no gas boats are allowed where I can guarantee Peacocks though.

fin-atic
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Cool. I can bank fish with the best. Want to get together for a fish smack down?

Findetta
03-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Cool. I can bank fish with the best. Want to get together for a fish smack down?

Anytime man, the spot I can guarantee Peacock we take a little gheenoe. (Its a little bigger than a canoe and is impossible to flip)

Blackocrates
03-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm up bright and early this morning, I'm ready to tackle some trout. I'm tired of getting skunked so I'm hoping to put a victory in my column. I don't care if I catch a 6" trout, I just want to catch one. I hope to be in my spot by day break. I'll let you all know how it ends up. Watch me go back to bed here in a few minutes. :lol:

CedarPhin
03-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks, not a bad day at the office. You don't happen to have a pic of the biggest minnow that dude caught do you? haha. Why would someone catch..and count minnows? Please ask him and let us know.

This was a while back..I just remember being completely dumbfounded when this guy was telling me about the many minnows that he'd mounted after he caught them.

Funny stuff.

fin-atic
03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Shoot me a PM with a contact number so I can hook it up.

Anytime man, the spot I can guarantee Peacock we take a little gheenoe. (Its a little bigger than a canoe and is impossible to flip)

Blackocrates
03-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm up bright and early this morning, I'm ready to tackle some trout. I'm tired of getting skunked so I'm hoping to put a victory in my column. I don't care if I catch a 6" trout, I just want to catch one. I hope to be in my spot by day break. I'll let you all know how it ends up. Watch me go back to bed here in a few minutes. :lol:

I went back to sleep. I completely mistimed the situation. :lol: Maybe this weekend will pan out.

Findetta
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
This was a while back..I just remember being completely dumbfounded when this guy was telling me about the many minnows that he'd mounted after he caught them.

Funny stuff.

haha, did he tell you about the ones that got away to? lol that is classic though, never heard of that before.

Bumpus
03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Allright boys, chasing trout tomorrow. Favorite lake, 3 days after stock ... They're adjusted to the water ... Prime Time for my limit! Wish me luck.

Bumpus
03-28-2009, 12:35 AM
:lol:
Home from the bar ... Pass out time. Fish tomorrow!!!

CedarPhin
03-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Good luck fishing tomorrow.

A bad day of fishing is always better than a good day of work.

Bumpus
03-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Uggggh ... hangover.

Still going this morning.

Here fishy, fishy, fishy ...

Bumpus
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Success. Two rainbow trout (12, 14 inches)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/04/bcc4d613-1.jpg

CedarPhin
03-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Sound pretty decently sized then. Nice job.

Bumpus
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Sound pretty decently sized then. Nice job.

pic added.

I still have no idea how to do it on my iPhone, though. :crazy:

CedarPhin
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Can you only catch Rainbow Trout around there?

Bumpus
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
That's the most common type they stock. We also catch Golden (yummy) and the occasional brown or brookie.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-30-2009, 09:06 PM
We have some places in nashville im not that fond with them

Findetta
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
We have places in Florida where you can catch fish like these.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/04/snook-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/04/shark-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/04/MeandmyfirstDolphin31407-1.jpg

I'm telling you guys if you can get down here in June you can land some monster tarpon, or try to haha

Bumpus
04-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Niiice.

Findetta
04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Niiice.

Yes sir I try. Hey how far is Wheeling from Kenova or Huntington, I have some family that lives up there and my cousin is getting married in the summer and I plan on being up there. Can I catch one of those trout in the summer there?

Bumpus
04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
:lol: A good way to explain Wheeling's location ... Hold up your right hand with palm facing you. Now flip the bird. Wheeling is located at the second knuckle on your extended finger. :lol:

As for trout in the summer ... very unlikely. They're more of a cold water fish.

For summertime, the Ohio River offers great fishing (Huntington is right on it)
Plenty of bass (lg & sm mouth, white, stripers, hybrids)...
Catching more and more walleye every year...
Freshwater drum (the small ones suck, but a big one will fight very hard)...
And, my favorite - catfish (channel, flathead, & the blues are starting to show) ... Best time for cats is at night ... find a nice spot, build a fire, kick back with a cooler of your favorite beer, and wait for a monster to grab your line. Best baits: live minnows or shad, nightcrawlers, or the messy but effective chicken livers. (sigh) Is it summer yet?

Happy fishing.

Bumpus
04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
... Another good day on the water. Two rainbows today (13.5 & 12 inch)

Myles Fynch
04-18-2009, 06:47 PM
... Another good day on the water. Two rainbows today (13.5 & 12 inch)

Do you always catch them in pairs? Maybe they were trying to be alone.

:chuckle:

Bumpus
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Sitting on the bank of the mighty Ohio River tonight boys. First night of the year. Here kitty, kitty, kitty ...

Currently being outfished by my buddy's 9-year-old nephew. :lol: (20 in. Carp, & a small drum)

... Stay tuned.

Bumpus
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, there's one. Nothing to write home about (small drum) but at least I didn't get skunked.

Bumpus
05-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Destroying 2-3+ lb. Smallmouth Bass every 5-10 casts on the Ohio River this weekend.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/f9bfedfa-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/770ea597-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/1d60f18a-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/dac55140-1.jpg

Bumpus
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Home from work & back to the river for a few more smallies before the Pens game ... Wish me luck.

Arsenal WV
05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Very nice buddy!

I like that hat too!

I'm about to head out now to do some fishing. I'll post pics if I catch anything

Bumpus
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Success ... 3 more (bout the same size) in an hour.

Bumpus
06-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Dilemma ...

I have to decide between two trips.

Either:
A) two day trip to Erie for walleye ($220)
B) two day trip to Canada for musky ($600)

Which would you pick?

Findetta
06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Dilemma ...

I have to decide between two trips.

Either:
A) two day trip to Erie for walleye ($220)
B) two day trip to Canada for musky ($600)

Which would you pick?

C) two day trip to Boca Grande, Fl for tarpon (priceless)

Ricky_Fan34
06-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I went out to the family pond today and caught about 20 bass and 2 or 3 brim. A few days ago i hooked a monster of a catfish, but he wrapped the line around one of the poles on the dock, snagged the hook out of his mouth and his was gone. He was just a foot from the shore too...

Bumpus
06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input. *sarcasm*

John, when are you willing to have me down & crash on your couch? :lol:

... Heading up to Lake Erie this Friday for some walleye action. :up:

Currently enjoying a BEAUTIFUL Tuesday night on the Ohio River ...

... Roaring fire at my back, stars out in force, two lines out before me, trusty cooler of beer at my side, and one channel cat reeled in to shore thus far ...

God, I love being a teacher (ALL summer off!!!)

... Boys, it simply don't get any better than this!
(unless the Sweedish bikini team shows up :lol: )

Bumpus
06-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Chicken liver just produced a niiiiiiiice 13 lb. Shovelhead cat!!!

God bless America! (no pics this time ... Waaaay too dark to see it. & NO, that's not just convenience.)

:)

Bumpus
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Out.
Of.
Beer.

... Off to the bar! :lol:

Ricky_Fan34
06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Heading out today. Fishing for catfish... Hoping for a 3 footer. I'll let you know how it goes sometime tonight.

Ricky_Fan34
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
hooked 5 catfish, 4 snapped the line. The one i got in was 26 in. other than that, bout 10 brim, and 5 bass. Good day :)

John Biello
06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
just bought a canoe, taking it out tomorrow at a local pond hoping to actually catch my first bass of the season, yes i am that bad.

Arsenal WV
06-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Chicken liver just produced a niiiiiiiice 13 lb. Shovelhead cat!!!

God bless America! (no pics this time ... Waaaay too dark to see it. & NO, that's not just convenience.)

:)

I try using chicken liver to nightfish catfish with, and it just slings off. But where it's dark I can't see it slings off haha

Bumpus
06-29-2009, 12:09 AM
:chuckle: I hear ya Bluto.
The key at night is to listen. More than 1 splash = reel in and rebait.

BTW, just got back from Lake Erie ... 11 guys, 2 boats, 2 days = 118 walleye. Yum!

You ought to try it out sometime - tons of fish in that lake.

Bumpus
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
This year I'm teaching 2 fishing classes (in addition to 5 WV History classes)

I thought, "How cool is this!"

Today I took the kids (ages 11-13) to the creek behind the school for the first time. I've got 43 students broken up into 2 periods ... Further divided into 3 groups per class. About half know what they're doing, the other half are stone cold rookies.

Until today fishing has always been stress free. Today, I was busier than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest. :lol: tangles, snags, etc.

We caught 3 trees, about a dozen roots/rocks on the bottom, 4 leaves, and 1 Smallmouth Bass :woot:

Vaark
08-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Today I took the kids (ages 11-13) to the creek behind the school for the first time. I've got 43 students broken up into 2 periods ... Further divided into 3 groups per class. About half know what they're doing, the other half are stone cold rookies.

Until today fishing has always been stress free. Today, I was busier than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest. :lol: tangles, snags, etc.

We caught 3 trees, about a dozen roots/rocks on the bottom, 4 leaves, and 1 Smallmouth Bass :woot:

no Coney Island Whitefish?

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Destroying 2-3+ lb. Smallmouth Bass every 5-10 casts on the Ohio River this weekend.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/f9bfedfa-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/770ea597-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/1d60f18a-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/dac55140-1.jpg

You lucky son of a gun. I took two float trips down the New River and didn't have that much success. What a day. That's one day to remember. Looks like they were all stacked up at the locks. I also noticed you caught one with the rare red eyes. I forget the ratio but it's really rare to catch one like that. I've only caught two with red eyes.

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I try using chicken liver to nightfish catfish with, and it just slings off. But where it's dark I can't see it slings off haha

Same thing happens to me. I'll spend a half an hour with my bare hook just floating around in the water. Somebody told me to use pieces of womens hosiery. Just put the liver in the center, ball it up and put the hook through the hosiery. I haven't tried it though.

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
:chuckle: I hear ya Bluto.
The key at night is to listen. More than 1 splash = reel in and rebait.

BTW, just got back from Lake Erie ... 11 guys, 2 boats, 2 days = 118 walleye. Yum!

You ought to try it out sometime - tons of fish in that lake.

I finally kept a walleye this year and cooked it up. That's probably the best fish I have ever had.

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Did somebody say one smallmouth....SUCCESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
My first muskie. That's the guide not me.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/Picture007-1.jpg

Blackocrates
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
The Colonel, my Papi with a decent smallmouth.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/08/Picture006-1.jpg

Bumpus
08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice!

I almost went on a Muskie trip to Canada this summer. It fell through though, so I went to Erie for that weekend instead - very good time, but damn ... I want to tangle with a big Muskie!

canesandbhoys
08-31-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/09/6133_1130073970210_1178043624_30336249_5-1.jpg

All I have to show for 5 hours on the water Saturday.