PDA

View Full Version : tv mount - opinions apprciated

miamitd13
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Just had the pictured tv professionally installed and to me - it just seems like the mount they went with is too wide. As you can see, it doesn't take much of front facing angle and the mount against the wall is real visible.

They are now telling me they will swap it out for a shorter mount, but at my cost.

Looking for opinions - am I being unrealistic in thinking the mount shouldn't be this wide?

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts and thanks...

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
When you're directly looking at the television does it still stick out? The pictures look like they are coming from a slight angle. My television isn't mounted on a wall so I don't have any experience with it. I have a television stand that has a spine where the television is connected, giving it a floating look.

miamitd13
02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
When you're directly looking at the television does it still stick out? The pictures look like they are coming from a slight angle. My television isn't mounted on a wall so I don't have any experience with it. I have a television stand that has a spine where the television is connected, giving it a floating look.

thanks for the response and no - if your looking directly in front of the tv, the mount cannot be seen. But since the TV sticks out off of the wall about 3 inches or so - you really don't have to get at too much of an angle to see the mount.

I guess I would rather just be seeing "wall" there as opposed to the mount. This is my first mounted TV so I was just wondering what others might think.

thanks again...

Blackocrates
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for the response and no - if your looking directly in front of the tv, the mount cannot be seen. But since the TV sticks out off of the wall about 3 inches or so - you really don't have to get at too much of an angle to see the mount.

I guess I would rather just be seeing "wall" there as opposed to the mount. This is my first mounted TV so I was just wondering what others might think.

thanks again...

No problem. It's hard to get it just the way you originally envisioned. If you're going to change it, I would consider a "swinging arm". I don't know exactly what it's called but I've seen a few people that have them and they look nice. The television can be pushed directly against the wall or pulled out and rotated to get the angle you want.

From your pictures I don't think it looks bad.

eric1589
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
it depends on the setup you have.
is it visible like that on both sides?

maybe you have a 40-50'' mount with a 40'' tv on it. there are alot of things that could cause that. such as where the studs ended up being in relation to the space you wanted the tv centered in.

playmaker1
02-24-2009, 03:00 AM
I mounted my 50", try to get pics if needed. Mine is over the fire place, so I actually got a mount that allowed me to tilt it. So mine does stick out about 3 inches. It doesn't really bother me on mine.

One option might be to build a frame around it. One of my friends did that and it looks sweet. Just an idea. You have until April 25th to make sure it is ready for the draft brother!

miamitd13
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey and appreciate all the responses and the mount is equally visable on both sides.

I think you nailed it too eric - when i looked up the specs of the mount they chose, it can handle up to a 60 inch set. Mine is just a 32" for our bedroom. If it were in a basement or a kids room I guess I might not be so particular, but being that it's in our bedroom and I paid to get it done - I guess I'd just like for it to have a nice clean look.

Anyway, I mentioned it to the company that did the installation and they just seemed to give me the feeling I was being difficult. That's why I thought I'd post here to get some differing opinions.

thanks again...

eric1589
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
they should replace it with a smaller mount. and give you some money back.
a larger mount costs more money, and since they mark up prices by percent, they probably just did it to charge you more money.

there is no reason you should have such a large mount for such a small tv. unless they come up with a story about it being necessary in order to secure it to the framing studs because of the desired location.

you could try having a frame built around it, like some one else here said. but i dont recomend that because you dont want anything to block air flow around the tv.

you best options are:
1 complain untill they re-install it with a smaller mount and give you some money back.
2 live with it.
3 get a bigger tv

CaliSDFin
02-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Looks like you got a mount that is made for a TV that is larger than yours. It is hard to tell because there are so many types of mounts out there. I recommend getting one that you can pull the tv out from the wall (a swivel). I always suggest when getting a mount to go through this site www.monoprice.com

I know several people who got the mounts for $60 and delivered the next day!

My advice would be to get a smaller mount if it bothers you because it will just continue to bug you. You can mount it yourself and the screw holes will probably line up with a new one

miamitd13
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Well the company contacted me yesterday and said they'd be out some day this week to replace it with a smaller mount - at no charge. I plan on tipping the installer well for his time as it wasn't his fault on the original mount they chose.

Again fello Fin fans appreciate the responses - now I can start concerning myself with more important matters - like free agency, the draft, ota's, etc....!