PDA

View Full Version : Who Collects Fooball Cards?

WeVie
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Who here collects football cards? I have talked to a few members about it before. I have found a great site to buy/sell/trade cards on. I have gotten so many cool Dolphins cards from there in the last month or so. I love it!

Have a look at some of my Dolphins collection. Click on the different albums on the left to see more cards.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/wevie/Card%20Pictures/Dolphins%20PC%20NFT/

The site is www.sportscardforum.com if anyone wants to check it out. Lots of nice people there.

CedarPhin
03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I used to. I've got a pretty big collection of them, mostly Dolphins cards.

Perfect23
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
The best card I have really isnt that good it's a authographed Carson Palmer rookie in a USC uniform.

CedarPhin
03-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I've got alot of great cards. My favorite one I have out of all of them is one of those Michael Jordan "Final Floor" cards from his last finals. Either that or the Shaq/Kobe jersey/floor cards.

My Marino RC is my most prized possession though, even though there may be cards that may be more valuable than it..it's still my favorite.

BrewMan13
03-06-2009, 01:09 AM
I used to, still have em all. Towards the end I focused on Marino and ended up with quite a few interesting ones. Have a far-less-than mint condition Marino rookie, and I think at least one from every year he played.
Also have a Jerry Rice rookie card, which cost me $0.

fin-atic
03-06-2009, 01:13 AM
I collect!! Love it. Always have. Got lots of Marino and other Dolphin legends with several autographs etc. Plenty of other teams too. Thanks for the link to that site. I will check it out.

Blackocrates
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
WeVie, What's the story on the red border 85 Marino? I thought those cards only had black borders?

BrewMan13
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
WeVie, What's the story on the red border 85 Marino? I thought those cards only had black borders?
I believe it's a rare print defect some cards from that year had which increases the cards value.

WeVie
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

It's called a box bottom card. I'm not sure if it was a wax box bottom or some other bottom to a card box but that is where it came from.

It's not a misprint. It's not even the same picture as the regular 85 topps.

WeVie
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I collect!! Love it. Always have. Got lots of Marino and other Dolphin legends with several autographs etc. Plenty of other teams too. Thanks for the link to that site. I will check it out.

if you still collect and still buy pack and boxes of cards that is the place to trade. I have made over thirty trades since I joined in Dec.

Hate to say it, but it has taken the place as my favorite message board.

Blackocrates
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
It's called a box bottom card. I'm not sure if it was a wax box bottom or some other bottom to a card box but that is where it came from.

It's not a misprint. It's not even the same picture as the regular 85 topps.

Man, that's one card I would like to have. How much does it go for? Now I have something to hunt for.

WeVie
03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Not much really. Beckett has it listed for ten bucks. Looks like it would be worth more cause it's kinda hard to find. I have only seen a few of them. I bought it at a flea market when I was a teenager.

I don't think I have ever seen one on ebay. You may find someone on the site I mentioned who would sell or trade.

CedarPhin
03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
My favorite card is my Cecil Collins RC.

Haha, just kidding.

BARF
03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
i have plenty i was trying to sell them on ebay but nobody bit on them my collection spans from early 90's to early 2000 when the industry was hot have plenty of emmitt smith, brett favre, jerry rice, barry sanders, rookies include chad pennington, mcnabb, ricky williams, edge james, these are only some that i could remember now if you guys are intrested or know someone that is lmk

WeVie
03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
i have plenty i was trying to sell them on ebay but nobody bit on them my collection spans from early 90's to early 2000 when the industry was hot have plenty of emmitt smith, brett favre, jerry rice, barry sanders, rookies include chad pennington, mcnabb, ricky williams, edge james, these are only some that i could remember now if you guys are intrested or know someone that is lmk

LMK what dolphins you have. I am always interested in getting more fins. scans would be nice if you could.

WeVie
03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
This is two I have grabbed from sportscardforum recently that I really like.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/a4-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/c3-1.jpg
I got this from ebay a while back. I like it also. It is from a really hot set called National Treasures. One pack of seven cards costs $415. When I started collecting they cost 42 cents a pack.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/13-1.jpg

BARF
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
which fins current and past

WeVie
03-07-2009, 04:39 AM
all of them. Just let me know what you got. I may want them all or just some of them.

acmeanvil49
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
My most prized card is a Walter Payton rookie card.
I have a lot of NFL, NBA and MLB from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I stopped collecting them but have them stored nicely, I suppose one day I will have to get them out again and check their worth.

Back in the 90's I saw a store in a mall with the same Payton card for sale, $350.00.

It wasn't worth that much at the time, it was listed around in the $200's

WeVie
03-07-2009, 09:53 AM

I stopped collecting them but have them stored nicely, I suppose one day I will have to get them out again and check their worth.

Back in the 90's I saw a store in a mall with the same Payton card for sale, $350.00.

It's worth $250 now. Of course if you have it graded and it turns out to be on great shape it could be worth more.

BARF
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
i wish i had the money to send all of the good cards i got, what is the going rate right now to send off to get graded

BARF
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
i only collect die cast 1/18 and mcfarlane figures now

WeVie
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
i wish i had the money to send all of the good cards i got, what is the going rate right now to send off to get graded

Here is a link to beckett's prices. I have never sent anything in to have it graded. Grading used to be a big deal. Everyone wanted it. Now what people want is game used cards and auto. Now everything that is worth anything in numbered. Used to be if there was only 1500 or 2000 of one card that was a low print run. Now, 50 is high.

http://www.beckett.com/grading/pricing.asp#price

BARF
03-07-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah i remember all that, those were the days, the only thng with the grading is if you are going to sell it and make the money back and more, but not too many people are into card collecting anymore

WeVie
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
yeah i remember all that, those were the days, the only thng with the grading is if you are going to sell it and make the money back and more, but not too many people are into card collecting anymore

Yeah they are. Go to ebay and look at everything on there selling. Go to the store and try to buy some packs or boxes of cards. What they put out today is gone in two or three days. There are over 800 people logged onto sportscardforum right now.

Cards shops are about a thing of the past and that's because of the internet and ebay but collecting is still big.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I love to collect man i have tons of cards
Hear is a list of some of them.
Lebron Rookie
Andre Johnson Jersey
Fitzgerald Rookie
Andre Johnson Rookie
11 Adrian Peterson Rookies
2 LT Rookies
A-Rod Rookie
Peyton Manning Jersey
Chris Chambers Auto graph
Tom Brady Rookie
Ronnie Brown Rookie
and much more

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Nice Man I want a Barry Sanders Rookie Bad

CedarPhin
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
WeVie, that Chad Henne jersey/auto is pretty awesome.

WeVie
03-07-2009, 05:08 PM
WeVie, that Chad Henne jersey/auto is pretty awesome.

Thanks! I just got it the other day.

WeVie
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Just made a trade for two GU Autos cards of Derek Hagan on the site.