PDA

View Full Version : Is Chef a good career choice.

Perfect23
03-05-2009, 10:52 PM
because I plan on going to school next year and thinking of becoming a chef if any one has any advice could they tell me.

Dolfan3773
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
my uncle-in-law was a chef....they make good money

Perfect23
03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
what kind of restuarnt did he work at.

poornate
03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
The hours are horrible... it is very cliquey and you get to remain a juvenile for a very long time... don't plan on a stable marriage or kids because my experiences say that it hard to have both a career as a chef and a stable personal life... I'm not saying that this is universally true, but i have known a lot of chefs.

Dolfan3773
03-05-2009, 11:11 PM
He worked for a hotel...it all depends on what restuarant you work at, what city your in, ect....

Perfect23
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
The hours are horrible... it is very cliquey and you get to remain a juvenile for a very long time... don't plan on a stable marriage or kids because my experiences say that it hard to have both a career as a chef and a stable personal life... I'm not saying that this is universally true, but i have known a lot of chefs.

wow what an eye opener did they make good money though.

poornate
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Some did... some wasted it on the narcotics that seem to accompany the lifestyle of never seeing the sun because of dinner services 6 nights a week forcing you to sleep until 2pm...

CedarPhin
03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/03/barth-1.jpg

playmaker1
03-06-2009, 02:50 AM
I graduated Culinary school in 05. I worked in the industry for only a few years after before I got out. Late night hours, the pay is just ok, and it is demanding.

That being said, I love cooking, could make about anything from scratch, and miss the kitchen everyday. I did have some foot and back surgeries from other accidents that made it just too hard to stay in there though. If you love food, and love the demanding hours. It is ok. If you have a family or want a life, it is hard to do.

playmaker1
03-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Some did... some wasted it on the narcotics that seem to accompany the lifestyle of never seeing the sun because of dinner services 6 nights a week forcing you to sleep until 2pm...

It is true. I have never met another chef that is not an addict of some sorts. It is just a rough life. You have to be ready for this, that is why I'm glad your asking. I saw a lot of people that got in, and didn't make it long because they didn't know what to expect.

It is true, if you can't stand the heat, get the F out the kitchen!

Possum
03-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Look at Anthony Bourdain

JCane
03-06-2009, 04:32 AM
They make great money but you're talking about a very demanding career. Loooong hours and a desire for perfection that is rarely achieved. You're never satisfied with your work...at least not the truly great chefs. They always feel like they can do better. I'd love to be a chef or own a restaurant. I've always wanted a baseball-themed restaurant in Boston or St. Louis. I just don't think I could handle it.

finz810
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
long hours, alot of stress my step dad was a chef for along time, he had a heart attack though and had to stop.