PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins to meet with Michael Johnson

FinAtic8480
03-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Kopelman said Johnson was to have dinner Sunday night with officials from the Miami Dolphins, who have the No. 25 pick in the draft. Don’t read too much into the Fins getting face time with Johnson - they got it because they were the first ones to ask.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2009/03/08/pro-day/

Interesting! I assume they are looking at him as an OLB.

Elliott 1
03-09-2009, 03:40 AM
We already have the big talented underacheiver role covered. His name is Quentin Moses. Who needs Michael Johnson.

HybridPHIN 23
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
ya gotta check it out theres huge upside with that guy...

PhinsRDbest
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Johnson would be lucky to go at 25.

playmaker1
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I think he has fallen out of the first round.

If we are looking for him to play OLB, he would have to prove he could drop back in coverage. I just don't know if he could do that. We need a OLB that can do more than rush the QB opp of J.P. So far we have Moses, Roth and maybe Wake... all can't cover or drop back. I just think we need a more all around OLB, especially at #25

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
He doesn't have the relentless motor that all Parcells guys have. He won't be drafted by Miami.

ckparrothead
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM

If we are looking for him to play OLB, he would have to prove he could drop back in coverage. I just don't know if he could do that. We need a OLB that can do more than rush the QB opp of J.P. So far we have Moses, Roth and maybe Wake... all can't cover or drop back. I just think we need a more all around OLB, especially at #25

Michael Johnson dropped back into coverage with frequency in his senior year and did a damn fine job of it. He got his 26 yard interception by dropping back into zone coverage, and he also had another pass breakup in zone coverage that he dropped back for and tipped in the air where Morgan Burnett ran underneath and caught it.

The fact of the matter is, when he drops back into the zone, his long arms and vertical make him function as an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall wall for a quarterback to try and throw around. He had 7 pass breakups at Georgia Tech this season, second only to all star Safety Morgan Burnett's 9 PBUs. He got his hand on the ball 12 times in 13 games with 7 PBUs (at least two of them ending in interceptions), 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery and 1 Blocked Kick. He had 9.0 Sacks and 17.0 TFLs. For those folks thinking he can't make a play against the run to save his life, he did make 8.0 tackles for a loss of -14 yards that had nothing to do with sacking the quarterback.

I wrote a blog (http://www.universaldraft.com/3_9_2009_CK_s_Blog.php) about him this morning.

Some fans on Georgia Tech and FootballsFuture message boards are claiming he just blew the doors off with a 4.49 in the 40 at his Pro Day today. That's completely unconfirmed, mind you.

skipp2myloo13
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Vernon Gholston part 2, except with no college success

playmaker1
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Michael Johnson dropped back into coverage with frequency in his senior year and did a damn fine job of it. He got his 26 yard interception by dropping back into zone coverage, and he also had another pass breakup in zone coverage that he dropped back for and tipped in the air where Morgan Burnett ran underneath and caught it.

The fact of the matter is, when he drops back into the zone, his long arms and vertical make him function as an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall wall for a quarterback to try and throw around. He had 7 pass breakups at Georgia Tech this season, second only to all star Safety Morgan Burnett's 9 PBUs. He got his hand on the ball 12 times in 13 games with 7 PBUs (at least two of them ending in interceptions), 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery and 1 Blocked Kick. He had 9.0 Sacks and 17.0 TFLs. For those folks thinking he can't make a play against the run to save his life, he did make 8.0 tackles for a loss of -14 yards that had nothing to do with sacking the quarterback.

I wrote a blog (http://www.universaldraft.com/3_9_2009_CK_s_Blog.html) about him this morning.

Some fans on Georgia Tech and FootballsFuture message boards are claiming he just blew the doors off with a 4.49 in the 40 at his Pro Day today. That's completely unconfirmed, mind you.

Thanks CK, I always love your input.

I'm curious, Do you think he is a first round pick? Or do you think we were thinking 2a? I know in your mock, you don't have him in the first round at all. I'm sure if his pro day was like that, he could be moving up. Thanks for your thoughts, and I enjoyed the blog about him and the comparison to Matthews. Great read.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I wrote a blog (http://www.universaldraft.com/3_9_2009_CK_s_Blog.html) about him this morning.

don't you go ahead and become one of those douche bloggers CK ! FH is where it's at !! ;):lol: btw, who's that conuficus guy you run the site with ? is he a FH member ?

if michael johnson ran a 4.49, it will greatly help him... i would be surprised if he really did ran this fast, but still, if he ran in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, it's very good

Elliott 1
03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
don't you go ahead and become one of those douche bloggers CK ! FH is where it's at !! ;):lol: btw, who's that conuficus guy you run the site with ? is he a FH member ?

if michael johnson ran a 4.49, it will greatly help him... i would be surprised if he really did ran this fast, but still, if he ran in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, it's very good

4.59 officially One guy from Detroit had him at 4.49

I'd only take him if Barwin was gone. Barwin is the full package and if you check the numbers from the combine, the only thing Johnson has on Barwin is a 3 inches in height and 10 lbs.

And nobody questions Barwins intangibles,IQ, or motor. Conor also has better stats.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

I'd only take him if Barwin was gone. Barwin is the full package and if you check the numbers from the combine, the only thing Johnson has on Barwin is a 3 inches in height and 10 lbs.

And nobody questions Barwins intangibles,IQ, or motor. Conor also has better stats.

johnson seems like he could be a total freak, if he played hard on every snap.

While i admit that the ceiling is high for both players, i see a brighter guy in barwin but a more freaky guy in johnson

who would be the favorite for a parcells team? i'd say barwin, yes

ckparrothead
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks CK, I always love your input.

I'm curious, Do you think he is a first round pick? Or do you think we were thinking 2a? I know in your mock, you don't have him in the first round at all. I'm sure if his pro day was like that, he could be moving up. Thanks for your thoughts, and I enjoyed the blog about him and the comparison to Matthews. Great read.

He's a first round pick. The mock is really Richard's baby, he's one of the three of us that work on this site. We're working on finding a way to do a mock that takes into account all three of our input.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution has him running a 4.59, but the Detroit Lions' scout hand clocked him on his own stopwatch at 4.49. Either way he had an impressive pro day.

Johnson met with Kacy Rodgers last night for dinner.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 06:46 PM
He's a first round pick. The mock is really Richard's baby, he's one of the three of us that work on this site. We're working on finding a way to do a mock that takes into account all three of our input.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution has him running a 4.59, but the Detroit Lions' scout hand clocked him on his own stopwatch at 4.49. Either way he had an impressive pro day.

a defensive line coach ? not that it matters but it's interesting

playmaker1
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
That is interesting. Do you think they want him to play DE then?

ckparrothead
03-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Connor Barwin does not have better stats.

I really do like Connor Barwin. I was bringing his name up a lot a few months ago when he was projected around the 3rd round or so. But I think things have gone a little too far with him. I'm not sure anyone would have projected him to have the Combine that he did. When you watch him on the field, that's not necessarily what you see. On the other hand, everyone KNEW that Michael Johnson would blow the doors off of these measurements, because when you watch him on the field, you know he has that kind of athleticism.

Now, as far as pass rush goes...I'm not sure how many people that watch the two would say that Barwin is a better pass rusher because he's really not. Barwin has a speed rush but it isn't the same quality that Johnson has on his. Connor is extremely raw, so he doesn't use his hands very well in his pass rush. That may get better, but you know, sometimes it doesn't. You can't say for sure. I don't know for sure how many teams that faced the Bearcats really focused in on Barwin, either...because all they knew before 2008 was that he was a pretty fair second string tight end. The teams in the ACC knew all about Johnson and they keyed on him. They knew he was a game-changer. And, I didn't see Connor Barwin abusing top 5 type talent like Eugene Monroe. I did, however, see Johnson doing that.

As for the 3 inches in height and the 10 pounds...well, the height anyway, is pretty significant. That kind of length makes Johnson a more effective pass rusher because he is physically more imposing as he closes in the quarterback. There's a lot more panic and a lot more of Johnson coming into the QB's vision, either in pass rush or in coverage.

Right now, as I look at Barwin on film, he's a good run stuffer that needs to learn to keep his feet under him and play with better leverage, and he displays some real nifty footwork in pass coverage, probably owing to his time at TE, but not necessarily the instincts to actually play well in coverage YET. And then in his pass rush, he's a good but not elite level speed rusher, and a motor guy that has trouble disengaging when a tackle gets his hands on him.

I think you're taking a pretty big chance if you take him at #25 but I guess some would say you're also taking a big chance on Johnson, too.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Connor Barwin does not have better stats.

I really do like Connor Barwin. I was bringing his name up a lot a few months ago when he was projected around the 3rd round or so. But I think things have gone a little too far with him. I'm not sure anyone would have projected him to have the Combine that he did. When you watch him on the field, that's not necessarily what you see. On the other hand, everyone KNEW that Michael Johnson would blow the doors off of these measurements, because when you watch him on the field, you know he has that kind of athleticism.

Now, as far as pass rush goes...I'm not sure how many people that watch the two would say that Barwin is a better pass rusher because he's really not. Barwin has a speed rush but it isn't the same quality that Johnson has on his. Connor is extremely raw, so he doesn't use his hands very well in his pass rush. That may get better, but you know, sometimes it doesn't. You can't say for sure. I don't know for sure how many teams that faced the Bearcats really focused in on Barwin, either...because all they knew before 2008 was that he was a pretty fair second string tight end. The teams in the ACC knew all about Johnson and they keyed on him. They knew he was a game-changer. And, I didn't see Connor Barwin abusing top 5 type talent like Eugene Monroe. I did, however, see Johnson doing that.

As for the 3 inches in height and the 10 pounds...well, the height anyway, is pretty significant. That kind of length makes Johnson a more effective pass rusher because he is physically more imposing as he closes in the quarterback. There's a lot more panic and a lot more of Johnson coming into the QB's vision, either in pass rush or in coverage.

Right now, as I look at Barwin on film, he's a good run stuffer that needs to learn to keep his feet under him and play with better leverage, and he displays some real nifty footwork in pass coverage, probably owing to his time at TE, but not necessarily the instincts to actually play well in coverage YET. And then in his pass rush, he's a good but not elite level speed rusher, and a motor guy that has trouble disengaging when a tackle gets his hands on him.

I think you're taking a pretty big chance if you take him at #25 but I guess some would say you're also taking a big chance on Johnson, too.

- good point

- johnson isn't all that great either but like you mentionned in your blog, the range he has with that 6'7 body and those long arms is a disctracting thing for any quarterback

overrall, i think i'd lean towards johnson because of his physical traits, but professional teams rarely bypass work ethic and maturity when evaluating a prospect... teams not called cowboys or bengals at least, so it's hard to say where the dolphins stand IMO ... maybe the little chat with coach rodgers will clear some things up !

ckparrothead
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Also WRT to Kacy Rodgers meeting with Johnson...I wonder. Does anyone know Jim Reid's status? He was going through health issues, I wonder if they know what his long term situation is looking like in that regard. I also wonder who took over the OLBs. I think Pasqualoni was involved, stepped up to coach the OLBs some.

But it is interesting that it was Kacy Rodgers and not Reid or Pasqualoni that met with Johnson. It could be that they don't mind people knowing they're interested in Johnson, but that they don't want people thinking they are TOO interested in Johnson? Who knows. That's probably a stretch, but still.

Geforce
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM

I think Johnson also gained a few brownie points when he stayed around to run some pass routes as a TE for the QBs.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Also WRT to Kacy Rodgers meeting with Johnson...I wonder. Does anyone know Jim Reid's status? He was going through health issues, I wonder if they know what his long term situation is looking like in that regard. I also wonder who took over the OLBs. I think Pasqualoni was involved, stepped up to coach the OLBs some.

But it is interesting that it was Kacy Rodgers and not Reid or Pasqualoni that met with Johnson. It could be that they don't mind people knowing they're interested in Johnson, but that they don't want people thinking they are TOO interested in Johnson? Who knows. That's probably a stretch, but still.

maybe a guy closer to his reality ? i don't want to sound rude or anything but black people, like any people in the world (wether it's language or nationality) , feel more comfortable being around guys who are culturally alike. if i'm right, pasqualoni and our OLB coach are caucasians...

sending out a guy who will connect more with johnson might lure some better feedback from the player, thus making the interview a lot more valuable .... it's just my opinion i might be wrong... it's not like rodgers was coaching WRs also, coaching the DL is close enough to the OLBs, not to mention that if michael ends up being a dolphin, we'll see him in a 3 point stance on our nickel package probably so he would work with rodgers...

Geforce
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM

According to Georgia Tech's DL coach, Johnson did just that.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2009/03/09/tech_johnson_pro_day.html

At Tech, the Yellow Jackets asked Johnson to do a lot, according to defensive line coach Giff Smith. Johnson had to rush the passer, play the run and sometimes cover the tight end or running backs in pass coverage.
One thing to consider if a DE can convert to OLB in the 3-4 is, according to Paul Pasqualoni, is if the player was a pretty good high school basketball player and Michael Johnson was definitely a good high school basketball player.
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/09/paul-pasqualoni.html

How do you can identify a defensive end that can be converted to outside linebacker?

“In this system, you’re just looking for that athletic guy who maybe was a pretty good high school basketball player. Vonnie (Holliday) was an awfully good high school basketball player. Greg Ellis, when we made that decision, was an awfully good high school basketball player. Phillip Merling was an awfully good high school basketball player. Some of these guys who were offered basketball scholarships at lower level (division) 1-A, and they can move, and they are big guys, so you’re not afraid to put them into coverage a little bit. They can rush the passer. They can play tough, physical on a tight end in the back. So, those are basically the things you’re looking for. You’re just looking for a linebacker, a guy who’s athletic and has a sense for the position, some vision, and can play. That’s what you’re really looking for.”

Geforce
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
maybe a guy closer to his reality ? i don't want to sound rude or anything but black people, like any people in the world (wether it's language or nationality) , feel more comfortable being around guys who are culturally alike. if i'm right, pasqualoni and our OLB coach are caucasians...

sending out a guy who will connect more with johnson might lure some better feedback from the player, thus making the interview a lot more valuable .... it's just my opinion i might be wrong... it's not like rodgers was coaching WRs also, coaching the DL is close enough to the OLBs, not to mention that if michael ends up being a dolphin, we'll see him in a 3 point stance on our nickel package probably so he would work with rodgers...
You really are reading waaay too much into Kacy Rogers going to dinner with Michael Johnson. Kacy Rogers may be of the same race as Michael Johnson but that does not mean they have anything else, culturally, socially or spiritually, in common.

JT-forpresident
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
You really are reading waaay too much into Kacy Rogers going to dinner with Michael Johnson. Kacy Rogers may be of the same race as Michael Johnson but that does not mean they have anything else, culturally, socially or spiritually, in common.

the best example i have for you, is if a hockey team wanted to draft a quebecer, they'd send one of their coaches or players who not necessarely speaks french, but understands the culture a little bit and is comfortable more than the average people would be with a frenchman.

I know it might sound a little farfetched :rolleyes: , and i realize there's no way this alone could explain why coach rodgers met johnson, but it might have a small impact on the decision taken...

hooshoops
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
i know he ripped it up at his pro day but i really hope we steer clear of michael johnson.

hooshoops
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
i agree that people are overstating connor barwin when they're talking #25. i think he's a early 30's pick and i would take him at #44 but not #25.

i think people are taking these combine #'s too far.

Geforce
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
the best example i have for you, is if a hockey team wanted to draft a quebecer, they'd send one of their coaches or players who not necessarely speaks french, but understands the culture a little bit and is comfortable more than the average people would be with a frenchman.

I know it might sound a little farfetched :rolleyes: , and i realize there's no way this alone could explain why coach rodgers met johnson, but it might have a small impact on the decision taken...
I understand what you are trying to say but I still think you are reading waaay too much into it because Kacy Rogers may not understand anything of the culture in which Michael Johnson comes from. It's kinda like an old person trying to sound hip or down with it when engaging with someone younger.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
CK, I appreciate your in depth analysis of both Johnson and Conner. Johnson reminds me of a taller Jason Taylor. I'm not sure if he fits Tuna's ideal. He is impressive at times, but it does trouble me that he wasn't more productive in college. How do you rate him against English?

Thanks. Wax

thejetssuck
03-10-2009, 01:01 AM

You made the draft site!!!! You the man!!!!!!!:woot::woot::up::kick::clap::yourock:

CANDolphan
03-10-2009, 03:26 AM
I dont know.. he doesnt really have a move. he just seems to try to use his speed around the edge, thats all

SR 7
03-10-2009, 03:49 AM
bowles also met with sean smith at his pro day today.

JT-forpresident
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I understand what you are trying to say but I still think you are reading waaay too much into it because Kacy Rogers may not understand anything of the culture in which Michael Johnson comes from. It's kinda like an old person trying to sound hip or down with it when engaging with someone younger.

yeah i understand that

ckparrothead
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I dont know.. he doesnt really have a move. he just seems to try to use his speed around the edge, thats all

He put on some textbook swim moves against Mississippi State and got straight to the quarterback multiple times with it. I've seen him use the spin, swim, speed rush, going from the left side or the right side, and I've seen him use his hands and go inside on linemen.

dolfanDyer72
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
i bet we get a running back with our first pick. we need a sproles type guy.. Ringer or Greene.

Geforce
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
He put on some textbook swim moves against Mississippi State and got straight to the quarterback multiple times with it. I've seen him use the spin, swim, speed rush, going from the left side or the right side, and I've seen him use his hands and go inside on linemen.
I was just watching that on his DraftParty posted YouTube video. It was amazing how quickly he beat the OT out of his stance and then swam past him with such ease.

FinsDBess15
03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I would like to get Michael Johnson with the #25 pick or the first pick in the second round he reminds me alot of Julius peppers plus we need a DE he would play DE because he is huge.

#1dolphinsfan
03-14-2009, 01:25 PM
i dont think he is worth the 25th pick

FinaticalOne
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM

I wrote a blog (http://www.universaldraft.com/3_9_2009_CK_s_Blog.php) about him this morning.

Thanks CK, I could've not put it any better than that. The Dolphins are going to do their due dilligence with this guy, although he's a bit of an enigma, he has way too much talent to ignore. The right coaching could make him successful in the NFL.