PDA

View Full Version : Could use a little advice here...

Bumpus
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I teach in a middle school. This morning one of our students passed away after a bout with cancer. He was an exceptional kid. Understandably, it's not a good scene at school today.

What do you say to 13 and 14-year-olds who have just lost one of their best friends, and for some are just experiencing death for the first time?

I have absolutely no clue what to say to them.

SpurzN703
03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Well normally it's up to their parents to educate them on death. I'd just offer encouragement and support for any kid who needed it.

JTBRLZ
03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Well normally it's up to their parents to educate them on death. I'd just offer encouragement and support for any kid who needed it.

Yea, just let the kids know that you're there for them if anyone wants to talk about it, but I agree that there's not much really for you to do, this is more of something a parent should deal with, although obviously not all parents handle the situation correctly.

SpurzN703
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Yea, just let the kids know that you're there for them if anyone wants to talk about it, but I agree that there's not much really for you to do, this is more of something a parent should deal with, although obviously not all parents handle the situation correctly.

Teachers either, considering it isn't their duty to educate kids on the ins and outs of how life is.