PDA

View Full Version : You guys have to check out UniversalDraft.com

CJGoCanes
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
www.universaldraft.com

It's from the minds of ckparrothead and Boomer. I saw ck mention it in another thread, and I'm blown away. It's not flashy or anything, but extremely thorough. It has the best scouting reports/player analysis I have seen thus far.

If you guys read this then great job so far. The reports definitely look like you spent a lot of time on them.

The only thing I thought could have improved them are organizational details. I don't know if you've seen New Era Scouting's reports, they're alright in general, but they do a great job in clarity and organization. The best thing I liked about their reports are at the top it says what scheme the player would be best in and compares them to current NFL players. I saw in your reports it does mention the prospects best fit though. I know these are very opinionated, but it definitely makes the reports clearer and more fun to read as you envision the compared player coming out and such. Those were just my thoughts, but great job anyways.

playmaker1
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
:hi5:

thejetssuck
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Universaldraft.com rocks my world!

TheBow305
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Solid draft, but I think they forgot someone. Malcolm Jenkins?

I heard he's pretty good.

paulomac77
03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Not a bad find, I'll add it to my bookmarks. I like how they grade the positions, i've never seen a draft site do that.

ssnjamerson
03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
IF Malcolm Jenkins last that long and we dont take him then we are stupid. And if these guys think hes gonna last til the 2nd round they should not be making mock drafts

showstopper
03-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Awesome site, and hell ya I bookmarked it!

Elliott 1
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Why in the world would the Dolphins draft an OLB who runs a 4.8 forty??????

The Dolphins have already acquired Cam Wake who is twice the athlete English is. And Wake has experience and big *** trophies and multiple awards.

If English were drafted, there is a chance that he couldn't even beat out Moses for a roster spot.

Porter,Roth,Wake,Anderson,Moses,Walden

It isn't like there is a spot open. Walden is a special teams ace. They won't cut him unless they they see something really special.

If Roth isn't traded, and there is a rumor that JT may come back, there just isn't room for an OLB unless he is special, and there is nothing special about a 4.8 forty.

English is tooooooooooo sslooooooooooooowww.

RoninFin4
03-12-2009, 12:16 AM

The Dolphins have already acquired Cam Wake who is twice the athlete English is. And Wake has experience and big *** trophies and multiple awards.

If English were drafted, there is a chance that he couldn't even beat out Moses for a roster spot.

It isn't like there is a spot open. Walden is a special teams ace. They won't cut him unless they they see something really special.

If Roth isn't traded, and there is a rumor that JT may come back, there just isn't room for an OLB unless he is special, and there is nothing special about a 4.8 forty.

Guess you'v never watched actual game tape, or even a highlight film for that matter. His first step off the edge is pretty lethal.

BTW, Spoke with CK about the site - that mock belongs to Conuficus (the 3rd member of the site), and isn't a collaborative effort of all 3.

canesandbhoys
03-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Solid draft, but I think they forgot someone. Malcolm Jenkins?

I heard he's pretty good.

They also forgot Andre Smith, even though they have 6 OTs going in the 1st.

playmaker1
03-12-2009, 01:39 AM

As much as I'm excited for C. Wake, he is unproven. There is a reason he did not make it in the NFL the first time. Just because he looked good in Canada ( which isn't even a real country :chuckle: ) against a bunch of guys who couldn't make it in the NFL either does not mean he is our new starting OLB.

The 3-4 is set up to put pressure on the QB. Roth and Moses did not do enough on the other side to take pressure off of Porter. Imagine if we had someone on that other side that really could bring the heat.

Do I think English is that guy, I'm not sure. That is why the Dolphins haven't asked me for my opinion. But I do think OLB is a position we will target, and target early.

JT-forpresident
03-12-2009, 02:08 AM
As much as I'm excited for C. Wake, he is unproven. There is a reason he did not make it in the NFL the first time. Just because he looked good in Canada ( which isn't even a real country :chuckle: ) against a bunch of guys who couldn't make it in the NFL either does not mean he is our new starting OLB.

The 3-4 is set up to put pressure on the QB. Roth and Moses did not do enough on the other side to take pressure off of Porter. Imagine if we had someone on that other side that really could bring the heat.

Do I think English is that guy, I'm not sure. That is why the Dolphins haven't asked me for my opinion. But I do think OLB is a position we will target, and target early.

watch your mouth young man ! we got the ladies, we got the hockey... and we got the ladies (don't look for an ontarian chick, come to montreal buddy and you'll understand why our hockey players can't stay out of night clubs ) :chuckle:

as for cam wake... think of james harrisson, a guy who didn't have a clean shot at a starting job until recently and look how that turned out. I'm not saying the results will be the same but the context seems quite similar in the way that they didn't get a good chance at the beginning... james digged himself out by being an excellent special teamer and sticking with a team that needed him once Peezy was let go. Cam wake earned his way to the top by compiling amazing stats in a league that is equivalent to NCAA's top notch programs talent-wise .... so basically, you're getting the 2 time leading sack artist of a ncaa v.2.0 ... not too shabby

Elliott 1
03-12-2009, 02:13 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Wake is far more proven than English.

Like I said, his accomplishments in Canada are unprecedented. MVP and 20 plus sacks against competition greater than that of the collegiate level.

Think about it. Where do CFL players come from? From mostly American college's. No, not the creme of the crop, thats the NFL; but just below the creme, which is a H of a lot more competition than your best college conference's.

The CFL is a very successful league with a lot of talent.

By the way, how's the competition level in the mid-american conference??

Unproven, I don't think so. Dolphins already got their 1st round pick at OLB.

playmaker1
03-12-2009, 02:38 AM
The jury is still out on Wake.

I'm not saying a first round draft pick OLB is a guarentee, look at Golston last season. But obviously Wake was over looked a few years back coming out of college. And he even is from Line Backer U. Granted he played more DE. Point is he couldn't contend with NFL talent. I'm not saying canadian football players are nobodies, But they are there (most of them) because they can't make it at the next level. Sure it takes some guys a few extra years of experience to make the jump to the NFL, but the guys in the NFL are a whole level higher. Until Wake can prove he can keep up at the NFL, he is just another FA pick up. I still think we look OLB very high in the draft.

Do I want Wake to come in and put up ridiculous numbers. Hell yeah! But I am being realistic. Canadian football and the NFL are very different. If you think he is going to come in and get 20 sacks in the NFL, your dreaming. I'm drinking beer right now, but even I'm not that drunk.

playmaker1
03-12-2009, 02:41 AM
watch your mouth young man ! we got the ladies, we got the hockey... and we got the ladies (don't look for an ontarian chick, come to montreal buddy and you'll understand why our hockey players can't stay out of night clubs ) :chuckle:

as for cam wake... think of james harrisson, a guy who didn't have a clean shot at a starting job until recently and look how that turned out. I'm not saying the results will be the same but the context seems quite similar in the way that they didn't get a good chance at the beginning... james digged himself out by being an excellent special teamer and sticking with a team that needed him once Peezy was let go. Cam wake earned his way to the top by compiling amazing stats in a league that is equivalent to NCAA's top notch programs talent-wise .... so basically, you're getting the 2 time leading sack artist of a ncaa v.2.0 ... not too shabby

I got to give my Canadian brothers a bad time. haha :chuckle:

Actually a good friend of mine was the number one pick in the CFL a few years ago. I follow the Eskimos now because of Adam.

RoninFin4
03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Like I said, his accomplishments in Canada are unprecedented. MVP and 20 plus sacks against competition greater than that of the collegiate level.

Think about it. Where do CFL players come from? From mostly American college's. No, not the creme of the crop, thats the NFL; but just below the creme, which is a H of a lot more competition than your best college conference's.

The CFL is a very successful league with a lot of talent.

By the way, how's the competition level in the mid-american conference??

Unproven, I don't think so. Dolphins already got their 1st round pick at OLB.

Which is why guys from weak conferences and teams like DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora (both from Troy) go straight to the NFL right? Our own Chad Pennington had a pretty successful career and he's from the MAC.

Cameron Wake's #'s in the CFL don't have any bearing on his success in the NFL. Sorry.

dtjp17
03-12-2009, 09:22 AM
i gaurentee if malcolm was there at 25 hed be a dolphin

CJGoCanes
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I think too much attention is being paid to the mock draft. All mock drafts are horrible because there are SO many variables in the draft.

Pay more attention to the in-depth scouting reports and CK's Dolphins blog

ckparrothead
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
www.universaldraft.com

It's from the minds of ckparrothead and Boomer. I saw ck mention it in another thread, and I'm blown away. It's not flashy or anything, but extremely thorough. It has the best scouting reports/player analysis I have seen thus far.

If you guys read this then great job so far. The reports definitely look like you spent a lot of time on them.

The only thing I thought could have improved them are organizational details. I don't know if you've seen New Era Scouting's reports, they're alright in general, but they do a great job in clarity and organization. The best thing I liked about their reports are at the top it says what scheme the player would be best in and compares them to current NFL players. I saw in your reports it does mention the prospects best fit though. I know these are very opinionated, but it definitely makes the reports clearer and more fun to read as you envision the compared player coming out and such. Those were just my thoughts, but great job anyways.

Thanks for the suggestion! And the compliments!

CJGoCanes
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! And the compliments!

No problem, great work. Also, an updated list of recent scouting reports would be easier to keep up to date with.

ckparrothead
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I see the Mock Draft still draws the largest amount of attention, lol! We noticed that in the page requests.

Keep something in mind with the mock drafts. As RoninFin4 mentioned already, thus far the Mock is not a collaborative effort. And, it might be a little dated. If Richard did it over again, I have a feeling it might change. It changes for all of us seemingly on a weekly basis.

We're working on it. Trust me, we're working on it. This site is very much UNDER CONSTRUCTION. It seems like we've hardly worked out anything, which is why it's so pleasantly surprising to see you guys compliment it so.

What I'm hoping to roll out with very soon is a drop-menu under Mock Drafts that allows you to see Con's Mock, CK's Mock, and Boomer's Mock. That way you really get a nice, wide array of differing opinions, instead of trying to mash-up three separate opinions on how things will go down into one mock draft.

Also, the player profiles will be very much like that in the future with things going forward. All three of us hope to contribute separate opinions on most of the players, and in the future what we'd like to do is make dated entries with our thoughts on these players in sort of timeline fashion so that you can see our thought process evolve from pre-season, to mid-season, to the bowl games, to the all star games, the combine, pro days right up through draft day.

We want smart readers. Smart readers like to form their own opinions. Instead of shoving one snapshot review of a guy down their throat, we'll give them a chance to see three different draftnik minds thinking three different things about the players, and we'll also give them a chance to see our opinions of those players change over time and why, which gives the reader the opportunity to judge whether we're right, or we're just plain full of it, for whatever reason.

ckparrothead
03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
No problem, great work. Also, an updated list of recent scouting reports would be easier to keep up to date with.

Working on that as well!

3rdandinches
03-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Hellooooooooo what about our beer!!!!!!!!!!

JT-forpresident
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Hellooooooooo what about our beer!!!!!!!!!!

canada doesn't make great beer, beer makes canada great :lol: (and much more tolerable in those stingy cold times... ughhhh ! )

CJGoCanes
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Working on that as well!

Excellent. Can you PM me your email because I have another idea

Mile High Fin
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Awesome content and organization.

I hate draft sites that are so cluttered with 1,000 different banners, links, and other garbage, and makes it hard to navigate/find what you need.

Still, a little more "flash" would help you site I think. I'm sure you'll be working that out going forward.

Great job!!!

Conuficus
03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi guys. Many of you don't know me here anymore. I used to post here quite often but I generally post elsewhere, although I lurk from time to time.

I will say I am very thankful for all of your kind words. Especially since the site is actually only 6 days old. We have a lot of stuff to upload, and it takes time.

The site is mine persay as I started it, but Boomer and CK are my partners in this as one person cannot do it alone. A great many of the player writeups will be posted in a whats new or update list that will be added today or tonite. The mailbag for each of us will be up today hopefully - there was a glitch yesterday, so you guys can drop us a line.

The Mock will change as do the player rankings, they fluctuate up and down. There are a few kinks and they will be worked out shortly. I will have the newest one up for tomorrow. And Andre Smith is not in the first for a reason. Jenkins I had slip due to his forty and questions regarding his stiffness during the combine. Some view him as a safety, some don't but wait until tomorrow to see what I have now that FA is more than a week old.

If there is any questions I can answer for you I would be happy to.

playmaker1
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi guys. Many of you don't know me here anymore. I used to post here quite often but I generally post elsewhere, although I lurk from time to time.

I will say I am very thankful for all of your kind words. Especially since the site is actually only 6 days old. We have a lot of stuff to upload, and it takes time.

The site is mine persay as I started it, but Boomer and CK are my partners in this as one person cannot do it alone. A great many of the player writeups will be posted in a whats new or update list that will be added today or tonite. The mailbag for each of us will be up today hopefully - there was a glitch yesterday, so you guys can drop us a line.

The Mock will change as do the player rankings, they fluctuate up and down. There are a few kinks and they will be worked out shortly. I will have the newest one up for tomorrow. And Andre Smith is not in the first for a reason. Jenkins I had slip due to his forty and questions regarding his stiffness during the combine. Some view him as a safety, some don't but wait until tomorrow to see what I have now that FA is more than a week old.

If there is any questions I can answer for you I would be happy to.

:hi5: Keep up the great work guys. Your site has some great reads, and I look forward to the new additions. It and Finheaven help me get through the long days here in the office!

hooshoops
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
nice site...but did i read aaron maybin at #9??? :foundout:

ckparrothead
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hard to get a real read on Maybin. I wouldn't fault Richard for having him #9.

Conuficus
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, also considering how Jacksonville traded up to take Derrick Harvey at 8 last year, and Maybin is more explosive than Harvey is. Harvey is better technique wise, but as far as overall ceiling, I think Maybin's is higher.

PhinsRDbest
03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, also considering how Jacksonville traded up to take Derrick Harvey at 8 last year, and Maybin is more explosive than Harvey is. Harvey is better technique wise, but as far as overall ceiling, I think Maybin's is higher.

I think one of the newly 3-4 teams will draft him to play OLB. I think he goes top 15.

Conuficus
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I think one of the newly 3-4 teams will draft him to play OLB. I think he goes top 15.

Green Bay is one those teams under Dom Capers.

PhinsRDbest
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
FYI Updated blog from CK for today.

hooshoops
03-12-2009, 10:01 PM
i won't argue that maybin has a ton of upside but the guy put on 15 more lbs than his playing weight b4 the combine and showed at the combine he couldn't carry said weight.

i didn't see any of the explosion off the edge in drills i saw at 234.

not to mention a very small body of work at penn st.

but you guys seem to think malcolm jenkins and sean smith are pro corners. i see them both as elite free safety prospects. jenkins maybe a cover 2 corner fit.

and everybody seems to now be in love with darius "i'm not lifting" butler.
i'd much rather have either alphonso smith or dj moore but that 5 ft 9 height for each bothers me.

considering i have sean smith and malcolm jenkins both pegged as pro safeties there's not a corner in this draft i have a first round grade on. vontae davis to me looks like a bust and alphonso smith who i think carries the highest true corner grade drops for me to round 2 because of that 5 ft 9 height and around 4.5 40. same for dj moore.

anyways...nice site.

Conuficus
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Updated Mock is up.

emeraldfin
03-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Some interesting picks in that draft. One thing that stood out was Jets passing on Stafford for a RB. Running back I think is not near as big a need a Quarterback, simply based on personel. Jones may be 31, but as he showed last season he still has alot to offer and Washington is there to complement him and change the pace of the game. Unless the Jets are very confident that Clemens can do the job for them then, IMO you can not pass on arguebly the highest rated QB in the draft. Take it for what its worth but thats only my take.

Conuficus
03-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Some interesting picks in that draft. One thing that stood out was Jets passing on Stafford for a RB. Running back I think is not near as big a need a Quarterback, simply based on personel. Jones may be 31, but as he showed last season he still has alot to offer and Washington is there to complement him and change the pace of the game. Unless the Jets are very confident that Clemens can do the job for them then, IMO you can not pass on arguebly the highest rated QB in the draft. Take it for what its worth but thats only my take.

I'm toying with both ideas. My last mock had Stafford to the Jets. I wonder how, if given the choice between Freeman and Stafford the Jets would react? Stafford can make some questionable decisions with the football at times and does not have great touch on his passes. Freeman is also raw, but probably has more upside, but was he a man amongst boys at K State and thus looked much better playing some of the BIG 12 defenses - which were not vaunted in many cases. Which QB would all the veterans on the team put up with whilst getting used to playing in the AFC East, which is no joke?

Which guy has the mental make up to stand up to being the "new" QB in New York. Eli Manning was a much better prospect than either, and it took him more than one year or a few games to get going. The Jets are an old team at certain positions. They may see what they have in Clemens, they may bring in a vet like I said in the Mock to hold the fort down - who knows.

I will likely go back and forth with some of those picks. Hell, Jacksonville is not above taking a quarterback with Garrard and then Cleo Lemon as the top two quarterbacks on the roster. Do they take Sanchez? Stafford? You never know, they have done it before.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
stafford has some issues between the ears but i can't see anyone taking freeman over him.

i know i wouldn't.

emeraldfin
03-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm toying with both ideas. My last mock had Stafford to the Jets. I wonder how, if given the choice between Freeman and Stafford the Jets would react? Stafford can make some questionable decisions with the football at times and does not have great touch on his passes. Freeman is also raw, but probably has more upside, but was he a man amongst boys at K State and thus looked much better playing some of the BIG 12 defenses - which were not vaunted in many cases. Which QB would all the veterans on the team put up with whilst getting used to playing in the AFC East, which is no joke?

Which guy has the mental make up to stand up to being the "new" QB in New York. Eli Manning was a much better prospect than either, and it took him more than one year or a few games to get going. The Jets are an old team at certain positions. They may see what they have in Clemens, they may bring in a vet like I said in the Mock to hold the fort down - who knows.

I will likely go back and forth with some of those picks. Hell, Jacksonville is not above taking a quarterback with Garrard and then Cleo Lemon as the top two quarterbacks on the roster. Do they take Sanchez? Stafford? You never know, they have done it before.

Also talk of one of them ending in Seattle, to eventually replace Hasslebeck. But as you said its hard to predict where Sanchez and Stafford end up on draft day.

Another thing I found interesting with that was the KC pick of Orakpo. Totally understand the reasoning behind it as I think the Chiefs had one of the worst pass-rushes in the league last season. However with the depth at OLB/DE, I think they could pick up at decent rusher in the 2nd round such as Barwin, Ayres, Matthews or Johnson. Would be the only reason why I would take Curry at that spot ahead of Orakpo, as I dont see the same depth at the ILB position in the draft, but it depends if you see Curry as an ILB or OLB also.

Quick question Con, do you think there is a chance KC go BJ Raji at 3? Considering the switch to 3-4, can Glenn Dorsey play at NT? Or will he be moved to DE?

Conuficus
03-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Personally, I think Tank Tyler could be tried at NT first. He is very thick in his upper body, and is not a slouch. Is he a perfect fit? No. There are some players a little later in the draft, such as Terrance Taylor, maybe Dorrell Scott etc. that can come in and help to fill the position. Plus there may be too much money on the defensive line as it is now to add another top 5 pick to the rotation. Dorsey will chances are, get kicked out to end IMO.

One other thing to remember is that the Chiefs traded that 2nd rounder to the Pats for Matt Cassel. So they need to act sooner rather than later IMO.

fin-atic
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Congratulations CK! I know you guys have been working hard on this idea and now it lives!

I stuck this thread in this forum so you could get some constant exposure to help kick you off.

Best wishes,

Matt & The FinHeaven Staff

Digital
03-13-2009, 09:14 AM

Wow, I'm very impressed, I never knew. He might even be the defensive version of Doug Flutie! :rimshot:

All of the draft picks are projections. College isn't the same level, and neither is the CFL.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Congratulations CK! I know you guys have been working hard on this idea and now it lives!

I stuck this thread in this forum so you could get some constant exposure to help kick you off.

Best wishes,

Matt & The FinHeaven Staff

Thank you Matt. I really appreciate it. We've been working pretty hard on it but it seems like there's still so much to do and so much to organize, take care of, etc.

Conuficus
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it is a massive undertaking. But a good one.

Thank you again for all the comments and criticisms as all are welcome and useful.

Thanks Matt I appreciate the reception and good wishes. :up:

Boomer
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Elliott - you clearly didn't see any Larry English games. His first three steps - his most important three - are second only to Aaron Maybin's.

ChambersWI
03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Real happy for you guys. Though I might not share all of your views on some players, you guys are usually 2nd to only Mayock when I go for draft stuff.

Hope you guys can get off the ground really quick. You all are really good with draft stuff and we need another top draft site after NFLDC

WelcomeBack
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Good job on the site guys. Very well put together and, as always, very informative.

CK, loved the blog on Zach Miller. Very interesting name to look out for now.

RealDriscoll
03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Appreciate the site dudes. I know Elliot isn't talking about Larry English...

JT-forpresident
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
for those who haven't checked it out recently, there's a new mock available !

Conuficus
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
It was posted the day it came out, but thanks for pointing it out anyways. There will be an additional Mock available later today for you guys to see.

JT-forpresident
03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
It was posted the day it came out, but thanks for pointing it out anyways. There will be an additional Mock available later today for you guys to see.

do you know when boomer and CK will post their own ? Is it strickly your predictions or those mock are still the fruit of a group consensus ?

Conuficus
03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
CK's will be up later today. It is his first, the Mock that bears my name is just my ideas. :up:

CJGoCanes
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice, I would love to have Jenkins fall to the 25 spot. That's even better than trading down

thejetssuck
03-26-2009, 05:48 PM
CK's will be up later today. It is his first, the Mock that bears my name is just my ideas. :up:

:woot:

fin-atic
04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I have unstuck this since no one has posted on it in about three weeks. Continue to enjoy the great site featured here.

Conuficus
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I have unstuck this since no one has posted on it in about three weeks. Continue to enjoy the great site featured here.

Cool. Thanks for putting it up there in the first place. :up: