PDA

View Full Version : Merged:Clay Matthews to have Private Workout with Miami

FinAtic8480
03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Dolphins | Planning to set up private workout with Matthews
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:16:32 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Miami Dolphins are setting up a private workout with Southern California LB Clay Matthews this month.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

I told you they like Matthews and alot have said if he is there at 25, Miami wont pass. There is gonna be a crap load of talent at 25, my thought is Miami will go with BPA. Whether it is Matthews, Smith or Nick we wont know until draft day.

Perfect23
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Sweet this is who I want.

FinAtic8480
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I want Matthews, but I also want Sean Smith. DraftCountdown has us with Matthews at 25 and Smith at 44. To me that what be one hell of a draft. The Dolphins are also said to like Cody Brown from Connecticut and Darius Butler.

PhinsRDbest
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I pray to god that we don't draft this dud in the first round.

Clay is vastly overrated as an OLB prospect. He only started his senior season, and most of his snaps were taken as a stand up DE (Cushing, Rey, and Maiva were the 3 LB's and SS Kevin Ellison lined up as a traditional LB more often then Clay). Almost all of his highlights are of him putting pressure on the QB (which he's not bad at, but O-lineman were more focused on their other LB's coming into games), but none of him in coverage or 5 yards off the LOS. On the rare occasion where he was put into coverage, he never stood out compared Rey, Cushing, Maiva.

People love him for his motor, heart, and pedigree, but IMO he's one of those USC prospects that benefited from the immense talent surrounding him. He had a great combine (but who cares, so did Vernon Gholston), but on the field, he's raw in coverage and not nearly as good as Rey or Cushing against the run.

If he was just a normal guy and didn't have his father, and went to another school instead of USC with their defense, he'd be looked upon as a mid/late round prospect and nothing more.

Some team is going to make a mistake drafting this guy too high. And I hope it's not Miami.. There are many more talented players early in this draft. He looks like another Bobby Carpenter.

I've never been a fan of this pedigree stuff. If it were true how come Jarrett Payton is not leading the league in rushing.

3rdandinches
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I've never been a fan of this pedigree stuff. If it were true how come Jarrett Payton is not leading the league in rushing.

Ya those Mannings suck and those Barber goofs too!

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I want Vontae Davis CB ILL

dsipher13
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I always thought the same thing about Matthews. An over rated prospect that is going on the pure fact that he's a USC LB. Excuse me while I puke. Granted these other LB's from USC look more than capable but Matthews does strike me as a overgrown roider who happened to have a good year. Personally I believe their are other players I would take a chance on before him with the 25th pick in the draft.

Clay Matthews= Bobby Carpenter

FinAtic8480
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I really like Matthews, but some say he is Raw. Personally it is the same discussion we had about Jake Long last year some thought he was LT others said he was RT. When you draft players you always taking a chance. I think Matthews is ready and would be an excellent OLB.

Clay Matthews
Height: 6'3 1/8" / Weight: 240
40: 4.67 / Vertical: 35.5" / Broad: 10'1" / Shuttle: 4.18
And again, below is what Conquest Chronicles (http://www.conquestchronicles.com/) has to say about Matthews:
Clay Matthews has been the biggest surprise this season. Matthews is a former walk-on who was under the radar at the start of his senior season. He got his start on special teams in freshman season and he took off from there. He comes from a solid football tree where his father (Clay Jr.), grandfather (Clay Sr.) and uncle (Bruce) all played in the NFL.
Mathews is in that "high speed, low drag" style of play where he just continues to move. He is a tough, versatile player that can play either outside LB or DE. His ability on special teams is very impressive, as he makes impact plays and always finds the ball carrier. He can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Because of his great range and instincts he can play all 3 LB positions.
He is disruptive on the ends and makes a lot of plays in the backfield. Very opportunistic and always around the ball. He too can be too aggressive at times and will have match-up problems in coverage. Less than stellar hands/ball skills. Because of his speed he is a great blitzer but he will try run around blocks instead of through them.

http://www.thephinsider.com

Obviously I think the guy has lots of upside, great work ethic and awesome predigree, but those things dont help you if you canīt transfer them to an NFL Field. I have to disagree with you Greyboy on one thing the kid is not a dud, he has all the stuff to be a great OLB. He was a walk on and look how far he has gotten. Mayock has him as one of the best Pass Rushing OLB in the Draft and has said he could start right away.

SamIam
03-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Clay is vastly overrated as an OLB prospect. He only started his senior season, and most of his snaps were taken as a stand up DE (Cushing, Rey, and Maiva were the 3 LB's and SS Kevin Ellison lined up as a traditional LB more often then Clay). Almost all of his highlights are of him putting pressure on the QB (which he's not bad at, but O-lineman were more focused on their other LB's coming into games), but none of him in coverage or 5 yards off the LOS. On the rare occasion where he was put into coverage, he never stood out compared Rey, Cushing, Maiva.

People love him for his motor, heart, and pedigree, but IMO he's one of those USC prospects that benefited from the immense talent surrounding him. He had a great combine (but who cares, so did Vernon Gholston), but on the field, he's raw in coverage and not nearly as good as Rey or Cushing against the run.

If he was just a normal guy and didn't have his father, and went to another school instead of USC with their defense, he'd be looked upon as a mid/late round prospect and nothing more.

Another thing is his face has changed incredibly recently, resembling a classic heavy steroid user. The guy's jaw has grown immensely, as well as his forehead. His face has aged incredibly over the past 2 years with clear signs of heavy steroid use. His face changes are just not normal at his age.. Add the incredible amount of size he has put on over the last year and a half. He looks like a guy who just pumped himself up way too much over a very short period of time and will never be able to sustain it- and will end up like Tony Mandarich.

Some team is going to make a mistake drafting this guy too high. And I hope it's not Miami.. There are many more talented players early in this draft. He looks like another Bobby Carpenter.

I give everything you said zero credibility becuase you just copied this post from another forum... which tells me you dont know anything about Clay Mathews

FinAtic8480
03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFi0o8GCM9c

Watch this video and then tell me Matthews sucks and everything he did was cause of the talent around him. Matthews was an undersize DE in college yet he played with a crazy *** motor and got to the QB. I think the kid can play in this league imediately.

JT-forpresident
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFi0o8GCM9c

Watch this video and then tell me Matthews sucks and everything he did was cause of the talent around him. Matthews was an undersize DE in college yet he played with a crazy *** motor and got to the QB. I think the kid can play in this league imediately.

half of this video is based on two plays where he stunts inside... designated play to bring a speed rusher one on one against phone booth blockers such as the center (most of the time) or the guards.... he's got speed, he's relentless, but this is the product of the scheme most of all IMO...

he's good, but that tape says nothing

JT-forpresident
03-12-2009, 10:15 PM
i think he's the only player i can compare to another without hesitation

clay matthews = bobby carpenter

a tough, disciplined, complete, football player with no real position

studsatele
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I want Vontae Davis CB ILL
then just be honest with him. worst he can say is no.:crazy:

FinAtic8480
03-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I think everyone keeps comparing Clay Matthews to Bobby Carpenter cause they look alike. Carpenter played LB in College and I think he played. Matthews is a DE/OLB. The only reason you guys are comparing is because they look alike which is sad.

Two completly different players. Here is another thing Matthews is alot faster than Carpenter. Carpenter was projected as a ILB in the pros where Matthews has plenty of speed to play OLB.

mfish41
03-13-2009, 12:07 AM
when i think of clay matthews i think of that jacked up steroid dude from the movie the program

JT-forpresident
03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I think everyone keeps comparing Clay Matthews to Bobby Carpenter cause they look alike. Carpenter played LB in College and I think he played. Matthews is a DE/OLB. The only reason you guys are comparing is because they look alike which is sad.

Two completly different players. Here is another thing Matthews is alot faster than Carpenter. Carpenter was projected as a ILB in the pros where Matthews has plenty of speed to play OLB.

do you seriously think i compare the two simply because of their face ?

bobby carpenter and clay matthews share similar attributes that you can't refute.

- players who were very well surrounded in their college years, player wise and coaching wise
- both players are very disciplined and hard nosed football players
- toughness
- no true position. it's moreso true about matthews IMO, carpenter could've excelled as a 4-3 WOLB also, imo, but the point is you can't really see where you'd place matthews on a defence and be a force to be reckoned with. The same can be said about carpenter (well, not in a 3-4 )

i'm not saying they're identical, but from those standpoints, they are closely similar from one another. Wether matthews flops in the nfl remains to be seen

bigchub22
03-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Another thing is his face has changed incredibly recently, resembling a classic heavy steroid user. The guy's jaw has grown immensely, as well as his forehead. His face has aged incredibly over the past 2 years with clear signs of heavy steroid use. His face changes are just not normal at his age.. Add the incredible amount of size he has put on over the last year and a half. He looks like a guy who just pumped himself up way too much over a very short period of time and will never be able to sustain it- and will end up like Tony Mandarich.

Your football knowledge may be right who knows....but your Roids knowledge made me laugh and shake my head

Digital
03-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Clay Matthews looked to me to be one of those guys who would be a good football player but not a first round talent. He seemed a little to light for SOLB and not quite quick enough for WOLB. I was pleasantly surprised by his 40 time and combine as a whole.

People saying he is a DE, well remember that the vast majority of NFL 34 OLB's came in as DE's from college, so that's not a bad thing in the least. As far as dropping back into coverage, he's actually quite good, so that's not a weakness, that's a strength. The fact that he wasn't asked to do it often at USC makes that a surprise for some people to learn.

Personally, I've been a big Brian Cushing fan for a long time now, but he has major injury concerns and still will likely be gone when we pick. So, comparing him to Cush is a hard thing to do. Knowing how Matthews' father played ... I actually see a lot of his dad in him, and I think that he may continue to develop into a very good player. I wasn't on the bandwagon initially, because I thought he was a step too slow or 30 pounds too light depending upon how you view it, but he's had a great combine and his game film shows a player worthy of a 1st round grade. It's easy to get overshadowed by that LB corps at USC. If we draft him, I will not be upset ... but I'm not crossing my fingers that he's the pick either.

I do think we'll go LB in this draft, possibly adding two. I just don't know when we'll pick them or who they will be. Any of the USC 'backers, Laurinaitis, Connor Barwin or Clint Sintim in round 2, there are really a lot of options for teams looking at linebackers this year.

I expect LB and OL to be a big part of our draft this year, with a very real possibility of multiple picks at each position. I know everyone is saying secondary and receivers will be big for us, but I just don't see those positions being prioritized by the trifecta ... I think we're going to draft heavy on the trench types this year again--defensive front 7 and OL.

dolfanchris
03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
i have to disagree by saying that matthews weighed in at 166 when he arrived as a walk on at USC ...raises red flags of steroid use if u ask me ... dont want him here as a 1st rd pick ...

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 01:27 AM
The guy who is driving teams away is Cushing. Rotoworld said the guy took so many supplements teams were shying away from him.

If you guys had to pick between Matthews, English and Connor Barwin who would you pick.

TheBow305
03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Clay Matthews= Bobby Carpenter

Interesting that you make this comparison, because this could be a factor in us taking him. We all know how much Parcells loves BC.

TheBow305
03-13-2009, 01:39 AM
The guy who is driving teams away is Cushing. Rotoworld said the guy took so many supplements teams were shying away from him.

If you guys had to pick between Matthews, English and Connor Barwin who would you pick.

I would most likely take English.

Yes he would be making the transition to OLB, but he also brings the most potential out of the 3. Matthews is a good player, but is clearly a career overachiever and effort guy. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want him in the 1st.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 01:43 AM
You know what really bothers me about English. The first thing is that he is coming from the MAC, then he is undersized and and did not run all that well at the combine. Give me Matthews as much as you guys dont like him.

TheBow305
03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
You know what really bothers me about English. The first thing is that he is coming from the MAC, then he is undersized and and did not run all that well at the combine. Give me Matthews as much as you guys dont like him.

It's not that I don't like Matthews, because I really do. I am a big fan of his. But we have much bigger needs and if we pass on a big time corner or receiver for him, I would be furious. He's just not worth the 25th pick IMO. I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be gone before we pick though.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Yea I think he is NE bound. See this is the thing last year I said all along Big Jake was our guy and it was awesome to see him get picked. This year I have said all along OLB is our pick and Im sticking to it.

I know WR and CB are much bigger needs, but with the success Parcells and Ireland have had picking WR late I dont see them snatching one early.

Patrick Crayton was drafted in the Seventh Round.
Miles Austin UDFA
Sam Hurd UDFA
Davone Bess UDFA.

All these guys mentioned above are pretty good WR, but none were drafted remotely high. Obviously Miami appears to be high on their recievers they have not touched the position all year and they have shown interest in TE Jared Cook.

The WR I would love Miami to draft is Brandon Tate from NC. Miami could also draft Pat White and move him to WR. They did it with Isaih Steinbach.

If Miami does not take OLB Im pretty sure CB could be the pick, they have shown as much interest this year in Sean Smith as they did last year with Henne. Butler seems to be pretty high on their list as well.

southjerzmastax
03-13-2009, 04:29 AM
http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl <-------Link

Dolphins | Planning to set up private workout with Matthews
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:16:32 -0700
Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) are setting up a private workout with Southern California LB Clay Matthews (http://www.kffl.com/player/21121/nfl) this month.

Are you thinking what im thinking??? The Trifecta has a real nice plan instored for us. Since the signing of Eric Green u can kiss picking up a cb in the first round goodbye.

Kdawg954
03-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Clay Matthews looked to me to be one of those guys who would be a good football player but not a first round talent. He seemed a little to light for SOLB and not quite quick enough for WOLB. I was pleasantly surprised by his 40 time and combine as a whole.

People saying he is a DE, well remember that the vast majority of NFL 34 OLB's came in as DE's from college, so that's not a bad thing in the least. As far as dropping back into coverage, he's actually quite good, so that's not a weakness, that's a strength. The fact that he wasn't asked to do it often at USC makes that a surprise for some people to learn.

Personally, I've been a big Brian Cushing fan for a long time now, but he has major injury concerns and still will likely be gone when we pick. So, comparing him to Cush is a hard thing to do. Knowing how Matthews' father played ... I actually see a lot of his dad in him, and I think that he may continue to develop into a very good player. I wasn't on the bandwagon initially, because I thought he was a step too slow or 30 pounds too light depending upon how you view it, but he's had a great combine and his game film shows a player worthy of a 1st round grade. It's easy to get overshadowed by that LB corps at USC. If we draft him, I will not be upset ... but I'm not crossing my fingers that he's the pick either.

I do think we'll go LB in this draft, possibly adding two. I just don't know when we'll pick them or who they will be. Any of the USC 'backers, Laurinaitis, Connor Barwin or Clint Sintim in round 2, there are really a lot of options for teams looking at linebackers this year.

I expect LB and OL to be a big part of our draft this year, with a very real possibility of multiple picks at each position. I know everyone is saying secondary and receivers will be big for us, but I just don't see those positions being prioritized by the trifecta ... I think we're going to draft heavy on the trench types this year again--defensive front 7 and OL.

Man I agree. I like Matthews . . . I just really don't like him in round 1 . . . he isn't a first round talent. He may end up being a very productive football player, but I wouldn't draft him in the first round.

I remember arguing with somebody about how weak this draft was compared to last year and how stockpiling picks for next year would be a great idea because next years draft looks real strong, especially with more underclassmen probably declaring because of the possibility of it being the last year where the rookie salaries are crazy and they install a cap for it.

I am a fan of trading high picks for high picks next year, but if we must use our picks in this draft . . . I want the BPA . . . and Matthews is in no way the BPA at 25. Now he may end up being the pick . . . and I have to defer to the Trifecta and hope they know what they are doing . . . but look at Bobby Carpenter . . . and that tells me they have failed before in this department (drafting a LB, who is surrounded by other great LB's). . . and I do not want them to make the same mistake,

We need to take one of these talented OLB's . . . Sintim, English . . . even Ayers . . . not Matthews tho.

ChambersWI
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
they like Clay, there is no disputing that, but Miami is looking heavily into setting up private workouts with Sean Smith, Darius Butler, Connor Barwin, Cody Brown, Larry English, and Paul Kruger (all solid 2nd round prospects that are rising and could enter the bottom half of the first round).

Clay and Carpenter share similar characteristics and the biggest thing is that both saw extensive time at DE at times. Bobby didn't transition into the 3-4 like people thought he would he would; neither as an OLB or ILB. Plus I think Bobby was a bit of a sentimental pick since his dad used to play for Parcells in New York and people pretty much agreed the Cowboys didn't have a lot of needs.

jim1
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
they like Clay, there is no disputing that, but Miami is looking heavily into setting up private workouts with Sean Smith, Darius Butler, Connor Barwin, Cody Brown, Larry English, and Paul Kruger (all solid 2nd round prospects that are rising and could enter the bottom half of the first round).

Clay and Carpenter share similar characteristics and the biggest thing is that both saw extensive time at DE at times. Bobby didn't transition into the 3-4 like people thought he would he would; neither as an OLB or ILB. Plus I think Bobby was a bit of a sentimental pick since his dad used to play for Parcells in New York and people pretty much agreed the Cowboys didn't have a lot of needs.

Mathews has size, strength, speed and quicks. Quite honestly I'm a bit surprised that he shows all of those traits. But I'm troubled by one thing-
why was he not rated, if I recall correctly, even as a second rounder or third rounder before the combine and bowl game? I'm all for a guy rising, but this strikes me as a bit much. Why didn't his college body of work warrant a 1st or 2nd rd pick? And yes, I know that he got a late start.

rent this space
03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I've read the Trifecta don't like guys who have only produced for one season. there's one line in his bio that I keep thinking about "... didn't emerge as a starter until 3 games in to his senior season..." obviously, it's tough to get on the field as a LB at USC, but I'm still thinking that will hurt him.

Dlinecoach
03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
For those of you that think Clay used roids you're wrong. I have known this kid for a very very long time and the only thing he's ever used to get ahead was a work ethic that very few of us have ever seen. He is a first round pick not because you or I say the kid can play, but the fact that GM's across the league think this kid can play. I'll tell you this. The people of Miami will love this kid, the players, coaches will like the way this kid prepares for Sunday's and if I were you I would hope you get a kid in the draft with his character.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 12:51 PM
For those of you that think Clay used roids you're wrong. I have known this kid for a very very long time and the only thing he's ever used to get ahead was a work ethic that very few of us have ever seen. He is a first round pick not because you or I say the kid can play, but the fact that GM's across the league think this kid can play. I'll tell you this. The people of Miami will love this kid, the players, coaches will like the way this kid prepares for Sunday's and if I were you I would hope you get a kid in the draft with his character.

Excellent Post and Thankyou!

Dlinecoach you say you know Matthews do you know where are they projecting him and have you been able to speak to him on what Miami thinks. Im hoping Clay is our pick, have been that way for a while now. It is gonna be interesting to see what we do cause Mauluga stock has fallen and both might be there at 25.

Dlinecoach
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM
all I get is 90% chance it will be in the first round. As we all know it's based on team needs. Clay is excited at the chance to perform in Miami, but also has dates set up in NE, Cleveland and a few others. April 1st is his Pro Day and he is working out hard for that day also. Rey is an interesting case. Some think he won't drop, because someone early 10-15 will take a chance on him. Some also think he will be around later. I know it's not a clear answer, but that's what I'm hearing and I'm no expert. One more thing on the roids. He only did 225 23 times. someone on something would be somewhat higher than "23" don't you think?

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Dlinecoach Thanks for the Info, BTW dont listen to some of these guys they have no idea the investigations these players go through. They make stuff when they dont like players such as the Roid Rumors. Thanks for your post.

ryoung8918
03-13-2009, 02:49 PM
The question I have is: Does USC really, truly have three true NFL first rounders at LB in 2009?

Or is someone going to get a guy who's abilities were overestimated because they played next to a great player? Don't know if Matthews is that guy or not, but I'm guessing someone is going to find out at least one of the three is overrated.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Matthews I think played DE in USC and was an undersized DE at that. Cushing, Rey and the other Hawaiin guy were the LB.

ryoung8918
03-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Matthews I think played DE in USC and was an undersized DE at that. Cushing, Rey and the other Hawaiin guy were the LB.

All three project to LBs in the NFL.

ChambersWI
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Mathews has size, strength, speed and quicks. Quite honestly I'm a bit surprised that he shows all of those traits. But I'm troubled by one thing-
why was he not rated, if I recall correctly, even as a second rounder or third rounder before the combine and bowl game? I'm all for a guy rising, but this strikes me as a bit much. Why didn't his college body of work warrant a 1st or 2nd rd pick? And yes, I know that he got a late start.

He was rising as the season went on to where he was rated as a 3rd or 4th rounder by midseason, and after the bowl games many thought of him as a 2nd rounder, and the combine has made him a probable first rounder.

finfan54
03-14-2009, 08:29 AM
The more we talk to someone, the less I think we end up with them. Although I would be happy to have Matthews.

dominizzo
03-14-2009, 08:40 AM
any relation To Bruce Matthews.....And No I think hes Overrated and stinks

Lord Of Miami
03-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Yes,

SR 7
03-14-2009, 01:17 PM
The more we talk to someone, the less I think we end up with them. Although I would be happy to have Matthews.

exactly. u want to show interest in someone so ppl assume thats who u want then u got htem offguard.

Valandui
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
It's his nephew. His father also played LB for the Browns and Falcons.

Dlinecoach
03-17-2009, 11:25 AM
One thing to remember. When you have a scholarship athlete vs. a walk-on. The coach is going to give the scholarship athlete all the reps in practice and try and prepare that kid to become the guy. If the scholarship athlete doesn't pan out it makes the program look like they made a costly mistake. When a walk-on is able to break into a program as a starter and stick; that says a lot about the talent, work ethic and character of the player, and to do it at a school like S.C that says something. Is he Clay Curry? NO!, Is he the big knock out hitter? NO! Is he efficient, consistant, and make plays yes! I think he'll be a solid Pro. I am Bias and have watched him for a long time.