PDA

View Full Version : Texas School District Ditches Homework

BAMAPHIN 22
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Stephanie Lucero with CBS11 in Dallas/Forth Worth has the story of a pilot program for Texas middles schools that will include no home work for students.

What's the best way to educate our children? Should it be that if they cheat, they always get a second chance? What about late school work? Should students be allowed to turn it in at any time, no matter how late? One North Texas school district is considering some drastic changes like these.

According to several Plano Independent School District teachers, they have been informed that beginning next school year, homework will no longer be required for middle school students. And the grades for homework assignments that are assigned will not apply to students' report card grades.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/13/national/main4864057.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

WVDolphan
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Great idea.

Blackocrates
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Way to go Texas, you're actually trying to become dumber.

1 dol fan
03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
The only way this works is if the students actually have a passion for what they are learning or are thinking ahead to life after 18.

Since both of these situations are very likely to occur with kids that are in middle school, that has to be the dumbest idea ever!

This is coming from a junior in HS and I know that I wouldn't have learned much until this year (11th grade) if I didn't need to think about my learning at home. Now, I finally am taking classes that interest me and I am also thinking about colleges and what I might do after my schooling is complete. Knowing that I may use a certain subject directly with what I want to do for the rest of my life has made some subjects more appealing.

CedarPhin
03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Interesting move. I know when I was in HS, I always hated homework..I never did it, but would ace the tests and get C's. There were classes I liked, and I always did well in those, but like math classes, I just never dug the whole HW thing.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
There should not be homework simply for homework's sake. I could see the assignment of one or two long term projects during a given time period, but there is entirely too much loaded on kids today, IMO. At some point they should have the opportunity to be kids.

Locke
03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
There should not be homework simply for homework's sake. I could see the assignment of one or two long term projects during a given time period, but there is entirely too much loaded on kids today, IMO. At some point they should have the opportunity to be kids.

I agree to an extent. Homework is no fun, I know that from personal experience. How much can you really learn about something if you look at it an hour a day though? Who is going to learn Algebra if you only look at it 5 hours a week? I can almost guarantee that some university is going to do a longitudinal study on these students, and I would bet almost anything the college attendance/success rate of these kids is going to be bad, really bad.

I bet they are doing this to get their average GPA up to get more funding. If they can't get the students grades up, why not dumb the classes down. Same ends, different means. I mean, as long as we have a few thousand dollars extra to spend on the school, who cares about the future of these kids, right...?

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree to an extent. Homework is no fun, I know that from personal experience. How much can you really learn about something if you look at it an hour a day though? Who is going to learn Algebra if you only look at it 5 hours a week? I can almost guarantee that some university is going to do a longitudinal study on these students, and I would bet almost anything the college attendance/success rate of these kids is going to be bad, really bad.

I bet they are doing this to get their average GPA up to get more funding. If they can't get the students grades up, why not dumb the classes down. Same ends, different means. I mean, as long as we have a few thousand dollars extra to spend on the school, who cares about the future of these kids, right...?

I can see your point. But simply piling on more work simply for the sake of pileing on more work isn't going to be the answer either. Here at our local schools, the High School my sons attend went with a school day modification that provides for a mandatory study all. All the departments have a teacher or a student tutor present, and, homework for the day is known from a lesson plan, so, there is pressure not to do what I did in study hall....Sleep.

Clearly, there needs to be something done. Standardized testing has major flaws, as all the teachers teach to the test, even though they say they don't, at the cost of a more expansive learning environment. Problem is; The reason there was testing in the first place was that the teachers were failing to teach the kids the things they needed to learn to be successful.

I don't support the homework deal wholeheartedly, but, they're trying something at least. I think nothing short of a reveloution in the whole learning rocess is viewed in the US will change anything.

1 dol fan
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I can see your point. But simply piling on more work simply for the sake of pileing on more work isn't going to be the answer either. Here at our local schools, the High School my sons attend went with a school day modification that provides for a mandatory study all. All the departments have a teacher or a student tutor present, and, homework for the day is known from a lesson plan, so, there is pressure not to do what I did in study hall....Sleep.

Clearly, there needs to be something done. Standardized testing has major flaws, as all the teachers teach to the test, even though they say they don't, at the cost of a more expansive learning environment. Problem is; The reason there was testing in the first place was that the teachers were failing to teach the kids the things they needed to learn to be successful.

I don't support the homework deal wholeheartedly, but, they're trying something at least. I think nothing short of a reveloution in the whole learning rocess is viewed in the US will change anything.
A decrease in HW would definitely be a help.... less of that stupid repetitve petty work that some teachers give. for example, In the 11th grade, I was actually given a freaking word scramble as HW! That is asinine to make me sit there and unscrambble a bunch of vocab. words. No point!

But If they do decrease HW, then they would undoubtedly have to icrease projects, which may be even worse! There was nothin i hated more than having to do a stupid project on something i didn't know about or care to learn about.

Now that I'm am an upperclassman, I take classes that I generally feel I will enjoy so a lo of the HW isn't stupid, repeptitive or uninteresting and I usually get the work done. The upper grades is where the most benefit would be gained from less to no HW.

Locke
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM

I agree that homework for the sake of homework is a waste. Its hard to judge what is effective and what is not. What IS known is that repetition is
the best way to learn. So as far as things like math, homework assignments are extremely useful. Teachers would do well to be particular when choosing what homework to give, and not to overload it. I'd be interested in what poornate's opinion on this would be....

SpurzN703
03-18-2009, 11:06 AM

What the hell do we need algebra for anyway?