PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga Coming for a Two-Day Visit; Draft Priorities Solidifying

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.universaldraft.com/Blog.php

New blog...

CK's Dolphins Blog: Matthews and Maualuga to Visit, Priorities Solidifying (http://www.universaldraft.com/3_13_2009_CK_s_Blog.php)
March 13, 2009 - It has been verified that both USC linebackers Clay Matthews, III and Rey Maualuga will be coming to Miami for extended visits. What does this mean about the Dolphins' draft priorities? I outline some of my feelings on Paul Kruger, Cody Brown, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin and Lawrence Sidbury.

Enjoy. :)

dahlmarino
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
http://www.universaldraft.com/Blog.php

New blog...

Enjoy. :)

It is about damn time you and Boomer got a draft site up and running. Good stuff, as usual.

#1dolphinsfan
03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
that would be great if he would fall to us at 25 and it might happen with his injury

ChambersWI
03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
as always great read CK.

JT-forpresident
03-13-2009, 03:52 PM
very nice read.

speaking of matthews, you bring a very nice point about projecting him as our 3-4 ILB... adding to that, watch the little highlight reel of him on youtube , i know it isn't much, but there's something noteworthy in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFi0o8GCM9c

the way he executes his stunt blitzes to the inside is, imo, textbook. he rushes like a bowling ball and he's so fast and strong that the centers can't stop him. Watch back Channing crowder blitzing this year, they used him a lot as a pass rusher in those A-gap. Delayed blitz that is, which accounts like a stunt for a DE/ OLB imo, because he's the last rusher, and they go in the same hole. Anyways, the problem with channing was always closing in on the quarterback, he was either late or out of position. If matthews is always as efficient blitzing inside, it surely is attractive for miami, from that standpoint ( because it's just one aspect of the ILB gig... )

as for maualuga, if he's a fin i'll buy his jersey immediately, that's how i feel about the guy

SR 7
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
u guys think we might move crwoder to SOLB and have rey as our ILB b/c when they interviewed CC waht position hell play he said hes not sure whatever they put him as but hes a mike and he'd like to stay at mike ALSO when he blitzes from the ILB spot hes always a second too late so if u put him closer to the line at SOLB he might actually get to the QB. might be a nice LB core with that and go OLB again in round 3 or 4.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Awesome CK, about damn time.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
if we passed on rey rey we'd regret it.

sounds like the skins are eyeing him at #13. and well they should. i know i would be.

as far as i'm concerned he's a top 5 player in this draft. just gotta get him working those legs in the weight room.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Another thing about Sidbury that I should have mentioned in the blog...I might actually edit it and add it in. Sidbury is a computer science major with a minor in mathematics. He developed a computer program that predicts play calls based on downs and situations, the team's play call history, weather, formation and other variables. Richmond ended up using a program similar to his to help them prepare for games. He watched years of film to develop it. It was a science project, obviously he got an A+ from a rather amazed teacher.

He has volunteered his time teaching geometry to youngsters in the area. Saying he's no dummy...is an understatement.

He would be a heck of a 2nd round draft pick, IMO.

Dogbone34
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Getting Rey would be a huge addition to our defense.

Great site CK/Boomer. Always look forward to reading your opinions and analysis.

dr.jake
03-13-2009, 04:33 PM
the POZ dropped to #34 due to injury issues and was a steal for the bills.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Between Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga and Clay Matthews, and with Aaron Curry already set to go off the board in the top 5, it would not at all be surprising if one of those guys fell to #25. I think Miami would take any of them.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Another thing about Sidbury that I should have mentioned in the blog...I might actually edit it and add it in. Sidbury is a computer science major with a minor in mathematics. He developed a computer program that predicts play calls based on downs and situations, the team's play call history, weather, formation and other variables. Richmond ended up using a program similar to his to help them prepare for games. He watched years of film to develop it. It was a science project, obviously he got an A+ from a rather amazed teacher.

He has volunteered his time teaching geometry to youngsters in the area. Saying he's no dummy...is an understatement.

i totally agree. i love sidbury. late 2nd value imo. gone by #87.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Between Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga and Clay Matthews, and with Aaron Curry already set to go off the board in the top 5, it would not at all be surprising if one of those guys fell to #25. I think Miami would take any of them.

but would we take any of them over hakeem nicks or brandon pettigrew should he be there???

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
but would we take any of them over hakeem nicks or brandon pettigrew should he be there???

Pettigrew yeah, Nicks who knows.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
ck, i'm gonna give you some names. put them in order of your current draft preference at #25. let talent and need weigh in together.

mauluga, cushing, matthews, english, pettigrew, butler, davis, oher, nicks, alphonso smith

CJGoCanes
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice, you see Matthews as an ILB prospect too. I think he could potentially excel in the dirty work of an ILB.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Nice, you see Matthews as an ILB prospect too. I think he could potentially excel in the dirty work of an ILB.

What I think you have to like about him is that he is indeed going to get caught in the gearworks but he'll also hustle himself out of trouble and when he does that he actually has some 4.5-4.6 type speed with the appropriate jump and agility athleticism to get to the action.

hooshoops
03-13-2009, 05:07 PM
i'm with you guys on matthews. i see an ilb fit also.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 05:08 PM
ck, i'm gonna give you some names. put them in order of your current draft preference at #25. let talent and need weigh in together.

mauluga, cushing, matthews, english, pettigrew, butler, davis, oher, nicks, alphonso smith

Personally? Or what I believe the Dolphins want?

Me personally...

Hakeem Nicks
Brian Cushing
Rey Maualuga
Clay Matthews
Darius Butler
Alphonso Smith
Larry English
Vontae Davis
Brandon Pettigrew
Michael Oher

RobertHorry
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Personally? Or what I believe the Dolphins want?

Me personally...

Hakeem Nicks
Brian Cushing
Rey Maualuga
Clay Matthews
Darius Butler
Alphonso Smith
Larry English
Vontae Davis
Brandon Pettigrew
Michael Oher

I like Nicks, but I think he is a bit tad overrated.

I have seen many games where Nicks will basically kill his route. Lets say he is running a 15-17 yard Dig. Instead of going full speed and sinking his hip at the 15 yard mark and making a smooth and fluid cut to the middle of the field, he will chop his feet in order to make that cut. In the NFL, that will not work. A prime example is David Kircus last year when he caught that 18 yard laser by Chad Henne. Everyone might have thought Kircus did an excellent job, he when in fact he did a terrible job. Rounding and chopping his feet at the dig, and not coming down a straight line.

Nicks also seems to be inconsistent with his double move, when he'll sometimes give an amazing "head" fake with his slant when his sinks his hips and cuts it back out with an arrow route, but sometimes he will be lazy and barely do the double move.

But I will say I like him, and he is physical as hell.

dr.jake
03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
rey maualuga.vontae davis.brian cushing.
pettigrew.english. smith.
oher.mathews.nicks.
darius butler i believe is a second rounder.

FinAtic8480
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Interesting to see Hakeem Nicks at the top of the List.

thejetssuck
03-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Great writeups CK!!

Nappy Roots
03-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I like Nicks, but I think he is a bit tad overrated.

I have seen many games where Nicks will basically kill his route. Lets say he is running a 15-17 yard Dig. Instead of going full speed and sinking his hip at the 15 yard mark and making a smooth and fluid cut to the middle of the field, he will chop his feet in order to make that cut. In the NFL, that will not work. A prime example is David Kircus last year when he caught that 18 yard laser by Chad Henne. Everyone might have thought Kircus did an excellent job, he when in fact he did a terrible job. Rounding and chopping his feet at the dig, and not coming down a straight line.

Nicks also seems to be inconsistent with his double move, when he'll sometimes give an amazing "head" fake with his slant when his sinks his hips and cuts it back out with an arrow route, but sometimes he will be lazy and barely do the double move.

But I will say I like him, and he is physical as hell.

I agree, his route running is sloppy at times and definitely needs work. i tried to highlight that fact(i like Nicks a lot), and got flammed by some. hes got some holes in his game, or he would be a top 5 pick, but hes going to be very good if he puts in the effort at the pro level.

ckparrothead
03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
He's still the most consistent route runner out there from anyone not named Jarett Dillard.

Roman529
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice writeup CK....I think one guy who is being overlooked and who could be there at the 2b spot or 3rd round spot is Pitt LB Scott McKillop, who led the nation in tackles against good competition. I think there is ZERO chance Rey Maualuga will be there at 25 spot. The Pat's would not let this guy get past them if he is still on the board, and they need to replace Teddy Bruschi soon, even though they got Mayo last year. If we don't take Matthews, I think we go with a WR or CB with our first two picks, and then possibly McKillop or a DE/NT.

RobertHorry
03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
He's still the most consistent route runner out there from anyone not named Jarett Dillard.

I think Sammy Strougther at Oregon State is a superior route runner to Hakeem Nicks, And maybe Brian Robiskie.

JT-forpresident
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM

wow, that's different from the pacman jones, the ocho cincos, the terrell owens, etc of this world... very nice story, and i agree with you that based on his "un coachable" speed, his size and his off field history, using a 2nd rounder seems like a fair investment

foycore79
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
What would it take to move up to grab Ray swap 1st and maybe our 3rd im guessing

Charlie Brown
03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Nice write up....but who did the mock draft? I dont think that mock draft is very realistic

Valandui
03-14-2009, 01:08 AM
I think Austin Collie is one of the best in this area as well.

ckparrothead
03-14-2009, 01:53 AM
There's route discipline and there's natural ability to run the routes crisply. Personally I don't like Austin Collie's routes in that he doesn't seem to have much hip flexibility, and it leaves most of his fakes seeming a little feeble, and his routes seem a bit rounded.

I think Hakeem Nicks has a very natural grasp on using his head, his hips, feet and arms to sell routes, and get open.

finfan54
03-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I am betting we do not draft a WR. I think they are working on Brandon London getting some major PT vs. last year. Also look at the cowboys list of WR; does anyone other than Roy Williams scream big name to you? Most of those guys BP brought in.

I think Pat White adds dimension. Speaking of which, I wonder if BP and co. said something to White about not running routes so other teams could not see him in that role and he obeyed. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

nice stuff CK!

finfan54
03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
One thing I always consider when thinking who BP will get-and thats who we did not talk to.

cs2p
03-14-2009, 08:36 AM
There was a rumor while ago, that said that Miami is set on their man, and they`re even willing to move up to #12 to get their guy. I didn`t pay much attention to that rumor, because, well, we all know that Tuna doesn`t like to give up his picks. Now I read that they had wourkouts with the same guys as Redskins at 12.

What do you think, is it possible that Miami trades up? For what price? Something around Miami`s 1, 2a and 6, I guess?

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-14-2009, 09:45 AM
CK... What do you think about Paul Kruger in the 2nd round as an eventual replacement for Roth on the SOLB position??

ckparrothead
03-14-2009, 01:23 PM
CK... What do you think about Paul Kruger in the 2nd round as an eventual replacement for Roth on the SOLB position??

Read the blog, man. I say a lot about Kruger in it.

dolfan91
03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
This is why i love FINHEAVEN so much and the reason i became a member on the site... nobody has more pre-draft info than CK and BOOMER!!! and i just want to say how much i appreciate both for all the info they post regarding the Dolphins... if you remember; there was a quote by Pat Kerwin that said Parcells is in love with a LB he saw at the Senior Bowl.. i origionally thought it could be Larry English, but, now i'm thinking it could be Sidbury!!! it could very well be Miami is targeting both Matthews and Sidbury with picks #25 and #44... with a CB at #2b... i don't think Gilbert makes it out of round #1 due to the amount of teams looking for 3/4 d-lineman... in any case a Matthews/Sidbury senario with picks #25 and #44 will have me jumpin' for joy!!! i really like Sidburys' potential as a pass rusher as a rookie and a full-time OLB in the very near future!!!

Austin Tatious
03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Very nice site with great write-ups. I just bookmarked it. Realistically, it is one of the best draft sites I have seen. CK, you write well which certainly lends credibility to the site. I look forward to seeing some more of the profiles.

I certainly appreciate the passion and effort.