PDA

View Full Version : Another WWF Wrestler Dies

CedarPhin
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3980073

I met he and Stacy Keibler on a beach in Hawaii back in 2002...he was a real dick, but Stacy was really nice.

emeraldfin
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds like suicide.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Wow...Well, there goes another one. The list of wrestlers dead before they are 40 is staggering. It is a brutal lifestyle.

Dolfan3773
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
They all die cause of the same issue..roids

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM

That is completely untrue. While steroids have and always will be present in wrestling, it is far from the only reason. It is no one thing. It is the brutal road schedule, that for most in the WWE is in the 300 day/year range. IT is the pounding the body takes both from travel and, from the work in the ring. Most people have very little idea what is "real" adn what is not "real". I assure you, I have watched men and women break bones, get concussions, and, be crippled for life during the course of my years being associated with the industry.

Pain killers, booze, drugs, travel, the mental cost of performing almost every single night of the year take thier toll. This is only in the WWE. Before the WWE/TNA level, wrestlers often slave in the Independant circut for years, often from as young as 16 years old to hone thier craft to the level to try out for the WWE. There is no, or very little pay...Gas money if you are lucky...Long road trips after doign thier normal job, then, back home again from the show. Many wrestlers die in car accidents that you have never heard of due to exaustion/drugs/booze.

If you think wrestling isn't "real", I remind you...Owen Heart died in the middle of the ring at one Wrestlemania. The show did not stop. The show did not stop when Darren Drozdov, formerly of the Broncos, was paralized in the ring. In many ways, wrestling is as real as it comes. It doesn't stop, and, it isn't sorry. It will run you over and only be annoyed you chipped the paint on the car.

To act so flippant about a subject you seem to know nothing about is pretty distatseful to me.

Dolfan3773
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I used to watch wrestling when I was younger when it was WWF...right now its not even worth my time watching. If your going to get upset on "my opinion" then so be it. But recently (Eddie Guerrero,Chris Benoit) too me is roids. One with a heart issue and the other one suicide. I dont like how you put me down because of my opionion. Its not like I was acting inmature about it. Like you said I dont know the business because it truly doesnt interest me anymore and you may know about it cause thats your preference. I may have interest that I like and know tons about and you might not even know or like it.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to watch wrestling when I was younger when it was WWF...right now its not even worth my time watching. If your going to get upset on "my opinion" then so be it. But recently (Eddie Guerrero,Chris Benoit) too me is roids. One with a heart issue and the other one suicide. I dont like how you put me down because of my opionion. Its not like I was acting inmature about it. Like you said I dont know the business because it truly doesnt interest me anymore and you may know about it cause thats your preference. I may have interest that I like and know tons about and you might not even know or like it.

I didn't put you down for anything. I simply said it was a subject you knew nothing about. You admit that here. It's not a put down, it's a fact. Certainly steroids have been a contributing factor in many wrestlers deaths. I conceeded that point. Your contention that they all die of one thing, Steroids, was wrong, and, I think a little cavalier on your part.

People would be offended if someone were to say "All young black men in Liberty City die of the same issue; Being shot by other young black men." Right so. They should be offended because it's not correct. Do some young black men die in LC because of that sort of thing? Certainly. To say that is the only reason would be an ignorant statement, as was your statement regarding Test.

I'm certainly sure you have many interests that I may or may not be interested in. I also did not make an uninformed and ignorant statement about any of those subjects. Your comment and the way you phrased it suggested a complete lack of compassion for wrestlers and thier lives or deaths.

I'm not offended that you have an opinion. You are certainly free to have one no matter how ill informed it is.

Samphin
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I have held back on this issue for a number of reasons. Mainly, however, because I used to be a part of this industry and it is hard for a lot of outsiders to fully grasp what they are up against.

Steroids are very prevelant. Moreso on the independant level at this point. Say what you want about McMahon, but everyone I have spoken to about his current drug screening is that it is a serious venture and not to be taken lightly.

The indys, however, are not regulated and it is rampant and blatant. I would be lieing if I said that I have never seen someone shoot up backstage, most often right in front of everyone. You grow accustom to it, almost calloused.

I disagree that mostof these guys die from steroid abuse. HGH has more to do with it than anabolic steroids. But beyond that, the real issue is the painkiller cocktails that they all take (and they all take it, myself included). Soma, Vicodin, Percocet. All are muscle relaxers that can slow your heartbeat down to dangerous levels if abused. Throw in a couple of drinks (and by a couple I mean anywhere from six to 15) and you have a recipe for disaster.

The good news in all of this I think, is that such a light has been cast on the subject that it is bound to change. The Government will step in and regulate if the business itself does not. I am of the opinion that we will see less wrestlers dieing early going forward, than what we have seen over the past 10 years.

JTBRLZ
03-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Samphin and Goon, I'm sure you guys have mentioned this before but how are you guys involved in the business?

Samphin
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
That is completely untrue. While steroids have and always will be present in wrestling, it is far from the only reason. It is no one thing. It is the brutal road schedule, that for most in the WWE is in the 300 day/year range. IT is the pounding the body takes both from travel and, from the work in the ring. Most people have very little idea what is "real" adn what is not "real". I assure you, I have watched men and women break bones, get concussions, and, be crippled for life during the course of my years being associated with the industry.

Pain killers, booze, drugs, travel, the mental cost of performing almost every single night of the year take thier toll. This is only in the WWE. Before the WWE/TNA level, wrestlers often slave in the Independant circut for years, often from as young as 16 years old to hone thier craft to the level to try out for the WWE. There is no, or very little pay...Gas money if you are lucky...Long road trips after doign thier normal job, then, back home again from the show. Many wrestlers die in car accidents that you have never heard of due to exaustion/drugs/booze.

If you think wrestling isn't "real", I remind you...Owen Heart died in the middle of the ring at one Wrestlemania. The show did not stop. The show did not stop when Darren Drozdov, formerly of the Broncos, was paralized in the ring. In many ways, wrestling is as real as it comes. It doesn't stop, and, it isn't sorry. It will run you over and only be annoyed you chipped the paint on the car.

To act so flippant about a subject you seem to know nothing about is pretty distatseful to me.

I at least waited until I was 17. :D Oh and by the way, nothing is more embarassing than having to have your mother come down and co-sign contracts for you due to being a minor. Needless to say, you become the butt of some jokes for a while...

Samphin
03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Samphin and Goon, I'm sure you guys have mentioned this before but how are you guys involved in the business?

I was a performer. Admittedly, I never went farin the industry, but do have friends who have gone on to become world champions at the highest level (for what that is worth) and have made and maintainedplenty of contacts within the industry. Since I was so young and new to the business, I became part of ring crews, security and even did a little bit of ring announcing from time to time. It was fun stuff, and on occasion I think about going back, but I am glad I left when I did.

Like I said, I was there for two years and my back sucks because of it. And the injuries I saw others sustain were unreal.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 01:03 PM

I was a ringside photographer for many different Indy promotions. Mainly in the midwest and northeast, and, some in TX. I was not quite so involved intricately in the show as Sam, but, I was freinds with Jillian Hall who is now in the WWE. She and I worked a "Personal Photographer" gimmick where I'd go in ring and we'd do a little schtick, and, occasionally "Help her cheat" in various ways...Which nearly got me lynched in Greenfield Indiana one night..Funny story...

I still show up on the internet sometimes. Googleing "HG Kosteck" brings up some of my work from time to time, though I had a falling out with the ownership of the site that used to host much of my photographs...I could scan some and send them if you are interested.

I did it for about 4 years and was offered the chance to train as an actual worker, but, the dedication to wrestling is a lifestyle, not a hobby and I didn't have time for it.

GoonBoss
03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
This is a shot I took on the very last show I worked. I can't remember the date off hand, but it was a couple of years back. This was at CAPW (Cleveland All Pro Wrestling) Cleveland, OH. Portia Perez Vs Loreli Lee
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2009/03/79200623-1.jpg

gofins
03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I'd hit it.

Spray Mucus
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM

lol

WelcomeBack
03-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I was a performer. Admittedly, I never went farin the industry, but do have friends who have gone on to become world champions at the highest level (for what that is worth) and have made and maintainedplenty of contacts within the industry. Since I was so young and new to the business, I became part of ring crews, security and even did a little bit of ring announcing from time to time. It was fun stuff, and on occasion I think about going back, but I am glad I left when I did.

Like I said, I was there for two years and my back sucks because of it. And the injuries I saw others sustain were unreal.

I will simply back Samphin on this one. He knows all about my ventures...and I know about some of his. Everything he has stated on the issue is correct.

Samphin
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I will simply back Samphin on this one. He knows all about my ventures...and I know about some of his. Everything he has stated on the issue is correct.

Hmmm, between having a former wrestling photographer and two people who have been in the ring, we may have to have a finheaven rumble!

:lol:

Good to see you WelcomeBack. You still wrestling?

WelcomeBack
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm actually on a break from wrestling at the moment. Focusing on my diet actually. I've lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks...so it's going well haha.

Hopefully I get back in the ring by the end of the year.

eger
03-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Test = Testosterone

X-Pacolypse
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Goon is right. Wrestlers have such a brutal road schedule. The only time wrestlers ever see a break is when they're out with an injury. There is no offseason in WWE, and I think it's long overdue that wrestling considers having some sort of break so these guys can get some rest.

Flip Tanneflop
03-20-2009, 11:11 PM

Are you Paul Berror?

Samphin
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you Paul Berror?

If you are asking if I am a fat, pale dude with a high voice, the answer is...no.

Crickett
03-21-2009, 12:07 AM

It did for about 45 minutes.

Samphin
03-21-2009, 12:53 AM
It did for about 45 minutes.

That probably deserves a ZING~!

JTBRLZ
03-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Any of you guys ever see the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster?

Samphin
03-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Any of you guys ever see the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster?

Yeah, that guy is dead now.

JTBRLZ
03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Wow no ****, sad to hear,

Flip Tanneflop
03-21-2009, 08:57 PM
If you are asking if I am a fat, pale dude with a high voice, the answer is...no.

Koko B. Ware?

Flip Tanneflop
04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Paul E. Dangerously?

SwimminInIndy
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM

No, it wasn't Wrestlemania. I was another one of the smaller payperviews. I think it was called Over the Edge. It was crazy...They never showed him falling, but you did get a feeling on how real it was. Jim Ross and the King were so serious and sad. The whole thing was.

Wrestling is not Fake. It is Scripted.

CrazyCarl
04-06-2009, 03:04 AM
No, it wasn't Wrestlemania. I was another one of the smaller payperviews. I think it was called Over the Edge. It was crazy...They never showed him falling, but you did get a feeling on how real it was. Jim Ross and the King were so serious and sad. The whole thing was.

Wrestling is not Fake. It is Scripted.

Im glad you pointed this out because I was about to.

Arsenal WV
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3980073

I met he and Stacy Keibler on a beach in Hawaii back in 2002...he was a real dick, but Stacy was really nice.

:confused::confused::confused:

CedarPhin
04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
He was a real *******. Like really rude. I met the Hurricane and Rico the Barber on the same beach, and they were pretty cool.

Stacy was pretty cool too.