PDA

View Full Version : Knox to visit Miami Dolphins

FinAtic8480
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Dolphins | Knox scheduled to visit in April
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:01:29 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox is scheduled to visit the Miami Dolphins April 14-15.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Kid ran a 4.34 at the combine and is said to have exceptional hands. Here is more Info

verview
Knox was rated one of the top 10 receivers coming out of junior college after two successful seasons at Tyler JC. His production continued in Abilene, as he twice made first-team All-Lone Star South with 121 receptions for 2,227 yards and 30 touchdowns. A potential contributor in the slot and as a returner, he's a good bet to be drafted or at least be on teams' short lists of the top free-agent receivers. Had an arm span of 31 inches and a hand span of 9 inches at the combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/johnny-knox?id=79595'

Seems like he might be target as 7th round pick or UDFA.

finfan54
03-15-2009, 04:03 PM
His stock may be rising a bit. Mayock and co. were talking about him the other day. A guy with that speed and character, teams will no doubt look at him in a support role. We do not have a 6th but the top of the 7th I believe.

FinAtic8480
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Interesting you say we dont have a 6th. I think Miami is gonna do everything it can to aquire the 6th. Something I have learned is this team loves drafting and loves their picks even more. I could see them trading Beck for a 6th and it has been no secret they want him out of here. Parcells and company love drafting recievers late and they have been good at it too.

They got Crayton in the 7th round, Miles Austin, Sam Hurd and Davon Bess have been UDFA.

This kid Knox can also return kicks a position of need on this team.

GCD960
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
His name alone gets him drafted.

Does this visit count against the amount of players we can meet? Im not sure how all that works but if he does count, why use an interview on a 7th round player?

FinAtic8480
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I think there might be several player visiting tommorrow.

foycore79
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
How Big is this kid

FinAtic8480
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
6'0 is what he measured at the Combine.

TonySporanoTuna
03-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't think he's what we need. Looks like Ted Ginn with not a much speed. I like him, and he will do well just not for us.

SamIam
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/johnny_knox_-_wr_-_abilene_christian/

SamIam
03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think he's what we need. Looks like Ted Ginn with not a much speed. I like him, and he will do well just not for us.

Did you read the first post?

"Kid ran a 4.34 at the combine and is said to have exceptional hands. Here is more Info"

TonySporanoTuna
03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Did you read the first post?

"Kid ran a 4.34 at the combine and is said to have exceptional hands. Here is more Info"
Your point? Ginn ran a 4.3 at the combine on an injured ankle. So Knox isn't as fast as Ginn. Also, the times were messed up this year.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_did_Ted_Ginn_Jr._run_the_40-yard_dash

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/10295/Sports++Recreation/Fastest+40Yard+Dash+Times+Ever.aspx

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_did_Ted_Ginn_run_the_40

FinAtic8480
03-15-2009, 11:40 PM
He sounds like a guy Miami will be looking to add via UDFA. The Trifecta love finding no name WR and they are really good at it. They found three in Dallas and one was already discovered in Miami. Patrick Crayton was a 7th round pick. Miles Austin, Sam Hurd and Davon Bess have all been UDFA.

Also dont be suprise if Miami does not add a WR till late in the Draft. Miami really likes their WR corps. Ginn showed alot of progress from last year, Camarillo was a huge surprise and Davon Bess is a perfect slot reciever. They also love the London and the upside the kid has. Miami could sign a veteran reciever like Toomer or Holt and pick a reciever late.

MrClean
03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
His best 40 time at the combine was a 4.29 hand held, with a 1.47 10 yd split.
His best electronic 40 time there was a 4.34 with a 1.54 10 yd split.

MrClean
03-16-2009, 12:30 AM
www.nfldraftscout.com ranks Knox as a 5th or 6th rounder at this time.

FinAtic8480
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Umm no offense, but alot of you want Nicks who is the same height as this kid and rana slower 40. Im not doggin Nicks cause I really like him as a player, but some real good WR have been found in the later rounds. The Trifecta is known for finding WR late an dI dont think that will change this year.

ckparrothead
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Your point? Ginn ran a 4.3 at the combine on an injured ankle. So Knox isn't as fast as Ginn. Also, the times were messed up this year.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_did_Ted_Ginn_Jr._run_the_40-yard_dash

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/10295/Sports++Recreation/Fastest+40Yard+Dash+Times+Ever.aspx

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_did_Ted_Ginn_run_the_40

Ginn didn't run at the Combine. He ran at a pro day much later, with his foot still hurting, and ran a 4.38.

Johnny Knox has two things really going for him.

Actually, you know what...I already said it better in my blog (http://www.universaldraft.com/Blog.php). No need to repeat myself. :)

http://www.universaldraft.com/3_7_2009_CK_s_Blog.php

The first is the guy that actually blew up during the game. I'm talking about Abilene-Christian's own Johnny Knox. Knox played on an Abilene-Christian offense that set all kinds of records by scoring 52.3 points per game and racking up 558.8 yards per game. The offense mostly featured the dynamic Harlon Hill Award winning running back Bernard Scott, who is a subject for a different blog. However, Knox was the leading receiver on the team and caught 56 balls for 1,069 yards and 13 TDs in 2008. When I watch him play, I don't necessarily see a guy that has tremendous hip flexibility and the ability to be sudden and crisp in his routes, however he blew the doors off the Combine in February by running as low as a 4.29 on some stopwatches in the 40, jumping 35 inches vertically and 10'2" horizontally. He did this at 5' 11.5" and 185 pounds.

There are two strengths to his game that can make him a viable pro. One is obvious, when you have that kind of speed, corners are going to have to back off you and show you a lot of respect. A player that fast will get open for underneath routes even if he doesn't have the special start-stop/stop-start ability, hip flexibility and balance to get into and out of his breaks with elite quickness. Corners will give him cushion off the line, and they will generally open their hips early to respect his deep speed, which will give him the ability to catch the ball on out and hitch patterns. His speed is not just evident on a track, you can see it on the football field and his take-off from the line of scrimmage is about as fast as you'll see.

The other aspecrt of his game that will avail him in the pros is his hands and ability to concentrate on the football. During the Texas vs. Nation game, the athletic cornerback DeAngelo Willingham of Tennessee actually did a good job of covering Knox on a deep post. Again, Knox is not yet a sudden or explosive route seller, and with the cushion and respect he was seeing from corners and safeties, this was not surprising. Willingham was positioned in front of Knox and reached back at the ball, getting a good piece of it. Knox was able to keep concentration on the football despite the tip, come up with the ball, and keep running straight into the end zone. If that play were an isolated incident, it would not carry a whole lot of significance. However, Knox displayed a superior catch radius at Abilene-Christian as well as the All Star practices. He is a natural and smooth hands catcher that shows good concentration on and the ability to catch passes that are not perfectly targeted, including both the low ball and the high ball.

Recapping, two big time positives:

1. Speed. And not just timed speed, it shows up in his take-off, in pads, on grass.

2. Catch radius.

FinAtic8480
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
CK seems like Knox could be a late round steal. I have been telling everyone that not to get to caught up on that we have not signed a reciever. I think the organization similiar to how they felt confident last year about their CB fell comfortable with their WR. Obviously a WR will be added, but it would not surprise me if it were in the later rounds. After all The Trifecta is known for finding late round WR. Some of the ones I know he has discovered are Patrick Crayton in the 7th and Miles Austin, Sam Hurd and Davon Bess as UDFA.

I dont know where Brandon Tate might go, but I think he could be a WR Miami could target a little bit later and Juaqin Iglesias is the other guy I could see Miami targeting along with Johnny Knox. My personal opinion is Miami drafts a TE before WR. Martin will eventually need to get replaces, Haynos does not fit the protatical TE Miami likes and Parcells loves drafting TE .

ChambersNBoston
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the insight CK...After reading your article...the wide reciever that they are interested in are all projected to be low draft picks...I am now convince that they wont use a first day pick on a WR...and im happy with that...we have more pressing needs for the first days picks...and BP and Ireland have a history of picking productive late round recivers.

uga3406
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM

couldnt agree more :lol2:

FinAtic8480
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont Agree Knox has the potential to be a real good reciever, regardless Miami wont be taking a reciever early. Its not there style.

Nappy Roots
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
i like Knox and i dont think hes going to make it to round 7. i see him going in the round 5 area.

btw, having ted ginn has nothing to do with Knox. if we were to draft him he would not be expected to come in and compete for the #1,2, or 3 spot. he will likely compete for the 4th or 5th WR spot and his ability to play STs would really depend what would happen.

utahphinsfan
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
After reading this thread, I am of the impression that a WR won't be taken on day 1. If so, I'm preferential to Iglesias (OU) in the 2nd or 3rd.

I've read that Parcells & Co are looking hard @ Sean Smith and believe they have even looked at (DE/OLB) Paul Kruger.

There is one other Ute to consider; WR Freddie Brown who impressed me in the '06 Spring game game but really did not come on until his senior season ('08). Freddie goes 6'4" 215, has decent hands, and played well in the Sugar Bowl. He s/b available in the 7th or as UDFA IMO.

XXXSURTAINXXX
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
No way Knox goes undrafted or even touch the 6th or 7th round. How many UDFA gets to visit NFL teams in March? This dude will be drafted. Did you see his workout at the combine? Not just his forty. He looked great in the gauntlet and the reciever drills.