PDA

View Full Version : Pope: Condoms not answer in AIDS fight in Africa

BAMAPHIN 22
03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Pope Benedict XVI said on his way to Africa Tuesday that condoms were not the answer in the continent's fight against HIV, his first explicit statement on an issue that has divided even clergy working with AIDS patients.

Benedict had never directly addressed condom use. He has said that the Roman Catholic Church is in the forefront of the battle against AIDS. The Vatican encourages sexual abstinence to fight the spread of the disease.

"You can't resolve it with the distribution of condoms," the pope told reporters aboard the Alitalia plane headed to Yaounde, Cameroon, where he will begin a seven-day pilgrimage on the continent. "On the contrary, it increases the problem."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-17-pope_N.htm

Tetragrammaton
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
The Pope does not get it. You cannot just wish away the issue. Condoms help, and you are not going to convince them all to become abstinent. It is the opposite of human nature.

BAMAPHIN 22
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
The Pope does not get it. You cannot just wish away the issue. Condoms help, and you are not going to convince them all to become abstinent. It is the opposite of human nature.

Good point!!!

Blackocrates
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I was hoping the catholic church would change their mind about condoms. It looks like their desire to cripple a continent is more important. I just don't get it. Catholics bear a lot of responsibility for the spreading of AIDS in Africa.

Stratman Tigers
03-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Oh, simply just LOL.

emeraldfin
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
To defend Catholics, there is a safe period were a female cannot get pregnant during her cycle. Accessable education would go along way in fighting the aids epidemic in Africa. Also Catholics have a problem with condoms and the pill because they are artifical contraceptives, not natural.

Also people must appreciate the amount of charity and humaitrian work the Catholic church and its followers have done for Africa.

Dolphan7
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Well.....you can't argue with the fact that if everyone in Africa practiced abstinence.......

.....there would be no AIDS epidemic!!!

To date....no one has died from NOT having sex.

ih8brady
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Well.....you can't argue with the fact that if everyone in Africa practiced abstinence.......

.....there would be no AIDS epidemic!!!

Shoddy hospitals, childbirth and drug use all transmit HIV. Additionally, just because someone has sex does not mean they are not a victim of the disease or somehow deserving(if thats what you were implying, i'm not sure)

Dolphan7
03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Shoddy hospitals, childbirth and drug use all transmit HIV. Additionally, just because someone has sex does not mean they are not a victim of the disease or somehow deserving(if thats what you were implying, i'm not sure)Not knocking anyone in particular, and my comments are rather utopian....but I never see any support for abstinence when it is proven to be the best solution for the prevention and spread of aids and other disease and let's not forget unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.

Kudos to the Pope for making a stand.

miamikid92
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I was hoping the catholic church would change their mind about condoms. It looks like their desire to cripple a continent is more important. I just don't get it. Catholics bear a lot of responsibility for the spreading of AIDS in Africa. :rolleyes2: Africans bear a lot of responsibility for the spreading of AIDS in Africa..

Blackocrates
03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
:rolleyes2: Africans bear a lot of responsibility for the spreading of AIDS in Africa..

Where did I say they didn't? :rolleyes2: The catholic church is responsible in large part because they control the beliefs of a large portion of the continents population and they have convinced these people that putting a condom on is a sin.

emeraldfin
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Where did I say they didn't? :rolleyes2: The catholic church is responsible in large part because they control the beliefs of a large portion of the continents population and they have convinced these people that putting a condom on is a sin.

The Catholic Church does not have to change its teachings because of what is happening in Africa. Unemployment, poverty, poor education and poor standards of living are the main reasons why this epidemic has gotten out of hand. Its nieve to think that if you allow people to use condoms then it will solve the problem. Until the standard of living and socio economic conditions improve in Africa signifficantly, then this epidemic will not cease.

Also if African countries can not provide sufficent healthcare to its citizens then how is it going to have the money to distribute condoms to people who have no money?

Locke
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

True story....

I went to high school with a kid who committed suicide because he couldn't get laid before he graduated. So technically, someone HAS died from not having sex... :boohoo:

Dolphan7
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
True story....

I went to high school with a kid who committed suicide because he couldn't get laid before he graduated. So technically, someone HAS died from not having sex... :boohoo:In a twisted kind of way yeah.

mo1
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Not knocking anyone in particular, and my comments are rather utopian....but I never see any support for abstinence when it is proven to be the best solution for the prevention and spread of aids and other disease and let's not forget unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.

Kudos to the Pope for making a stand.

Having been born in South Africa in the 80's I was fortunate that my mother didn't get a blood transfusion during pregrancy because loads of women contracted HIV from non screened blood. So abstinace is not the only solution, so a well placed comment Ih8brady.

Plus in a continent where some people believe sleeping with a virgin will cure them of AIDS I think preaching the benefits of abstinance will fall on deaf ears, and where only having one partner does not guarantee you against the disease i think contraception and praying for a cure is their only hope.

GoonBoss
06-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Just an example where dogma is more important than the issue to the Catholic Church. Condoms certainly aren't the only answer to the problem. Preaching abstinance is not going to work. I'm all for the preaching of abstinance.....However, condom use is certainly not going to make the AIDs problem worse. Condoms will help the situation, and, the Pope while towing the church line, simply shows why many Catholic belief points are bogged down by complete lack of touch with reality.

PReaching absitance without the use of condoms to suppliment it is akin to teaching swimming to avoid drowning, but, eshewing the use of life presevers.

CashInFist
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
What is the point of having sex while wearing a condom? Does anyone REALLY like wearing them anyway? I never use them.

ih8brady
07-08-2009, 12:38 AM
What is the point of having sex while wearing a condom? Does anyone REALLY like wearing them anyway? I never use them.

:chuckle: This is why sex education is important.

CashInFist
07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Just an example where dogma is more important than the issue to the Catholic Church. Condoms certainly aren't the only answer to the problem. Preaching abstinance is not going to work. I'm all for the preaching of abstinance.....However, condom use is certainly not going to make the AIDs problem worse. Condoms will help the situation, and, the Pope while towing the church line, simply shows why many Catholic belief points are bogged down by complete lack of touch with reality.

PReaching absitance without the use of condoms to suppliment it is akin to teaching swimming to avoid drowning, but, eshewing the use of life presevers.

Why on earth would the Pope change the beliefs of tens of millions of Catholics?

Because YOU say so...LOL

If Christians are just a joke to you anyway, why do you even care what the Pope says or does?

CashInFist
07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
:chuckle: This is why sex education is important.

Or self control maybe?

ih8brady
07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
So condoms increase the AIDS crisis? That's like saying armored vests won't help people in a war zone. GB was spot on in post #16. The fact that a grown man would ask, "What is the point of wearing a condom?" shows how far-off people can be even on such important and prudent issues. Or it could be a poe?

GoonBoss
07-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Why on earth would the Pope change the beliefs of tens of millions of Catholics?

Because YOU say so...LOL

If Christians are just a joke to you anyway, why do you even care what the Pope says or does?

Uhhhhhh...You have absolutely no clue on how the Catholic Church works, do you? The Pope is the absolute head of the worldwide Catholic Church. What he says is Catholic belief *IS* Catholic belief. It's not up for debate.

*I* don't give a crap what the Pope says. CATHOLICS (Of which there are a **** ton in Africa) DO care what he says.

GoonBoss
07-23-2009, 01:35 AM

The point? To prevent babies and to help gaurd agasint disease.

Did you really not know or were you just being obtuse?

WSE
07-23-2009, 05:30 PM
lmao

the church is so out of touch with the realities of today

SpurzN703
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM

1. Prevent spread of disease
2. Prevent any possible pregnancy

Aside from that if you're a guy like me who's trying to knock his wife up, condoms have no place in my home.

HansMojo
07-25-2009, 05:10 AM
1. Prevent spread of disease
2. Prevent any possible pregnancy

Aside from that if you're a guy like me who's trying to knock his wife up, condoms have no place in my home.
No condoms in my house either but we're done having kids. Mirena IUD ftw!!! :D

canesandbhoys
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Was it seriously just proposed that an ENTIRE continent abstain from sex. Now the convo is sounding a little more Catholic.

This plan works, though. The disease kills the people who already have the disease, and the abstinence prevents any future generations who might get the disease. Perfect solution...

Gonzo
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
No doubt. I prefer wearing a condom without having sex.

GoonBoss
07-28-2009, 09:41 PM
No doubt. I prefer wearing a condom without having sex.

Like sort of an acessory?

Gonzo
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Like sort of an acessory?I try to match it with my belt and shoes.

GoonBoss
07-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I try to match it with my belt and shoes.

Snappy. :d-day:

dlockz
07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-17-pope_N.htm

why is the man least equipped to discuss anything to do with sex even comment on it. This would be like me discussing the catholic bible with him.

canesandbhoys
07-29-2009, 11:37 PM
why is the man least equipped to discuss anything to do with sex...

The obvious joke:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dlockz
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
The obvious joke:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

I just hope he uses condoms ugh thats horrible

Chubby
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I just hope he uses condoms ugh thats horrible

So wrong on so many levels :)