PDA

View Full Version : Public Enemies

Blackocrates
03-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Here's a flick that will be worth checking out this summer. It is directed by Michael Mann and stars Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Bill Crudup and others. Good ol' American gangster flick.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDWja8gPFw

ih8brady
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Haha, it's kind of funny because I read about this a few months ago and thought it sounded promising and just thought about mentioning it in the summer movie thread, but you already beat me to the punch.

Tetragrammaton
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Johnny Depp as a gangster is kind of scary. It can't be worse than Tom Hanks as a hitman, though.

Blackocrates
03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Haha, it's kind of funny because I read about this a few months ago and thought it sounded promising and just thought about mentioning it in the summer movie thread, but you already beat me to the punch.

I'm quick on the draw.

ih8brady
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm quick on the draw.

:enforcer:

Alright, pilgrim.

Tetragrammaton
06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I wasn't that excited about this initially, but since The Hangover stands as the best film of 2009 thus far, I will be attending the midnight release.

Bumpus
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
... Don't waste your money.

Very disappointing. There were 3-4 good gunfights ... The rest was a love story.

BobDole
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
... Don't waste your money.

Very disappointing. There were 3-4 good gunfights ... The rest was a love story.

was my prediction correct? was it like mobsters?

Myles Fynch
07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I stopped reading at "directed by Michael Mann."

:foundout:

Tetragrammaton
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
was my prediction correct? was it like mobsters?

Not like Mobsters at all. I thought it was okay, but I could have done without a lot of the things they threw in.

BobDole
07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Not like Mobsters at all. I thought it was okay, but I could have done without a lot of the things they threw in.

is it worth seeing? i'm still on the fence.

Tetragrammaton
07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
is it worth seeing? i'm still on the fence.

Considering what else is out there, yes. I would say it is the best film of 2009 so far (but I have only seen this, Away We Go, The Hangover, and The Brothers Bloom). Depp is great, Bale is boring. It is a bit on the long side, but it works.

Hell, if you give me a day or so, I will have a review up on my site.

BobDole
07-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Considering what else is out there, yes. I would say it is the best film of 2009 so far (but I have only seen this, Away We Go, The Hangover, and The Brothers Bloom). Depp is great, Bale is boring. It is a bit on the long side, but it works.

sweet. what's your site again? been a while.

Tetragrammaton
07-02-2009, 12:43 AM
sweet. what's your site again? been a while.

Does that mean it is not your homepage!?

http://centralfloridafilmcritic.blogspot.com

GoonBoss
07-02-2009, 05:17 AM
I haven't seen a movie in the theatre for a good long stretch...Odd to think I was once the film critic for WKAM 1460 AM, Goshen Indiana. (I know, just sounds impressive, doesn't it?)

I can *Usually* tell in a general sense how good a movie is or isn't going to be by the trailer. I was reasonably certain the movie was going to be ok. I knew Depp was going to be good as a gangster. I have long since given up being surprised by him.

As usual, I have no pressing need to see this one in the theatre.

ih8brady
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Christian Bale boring? Now I've heard everything ;)

Tetragrammaton
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Christian Bale boring? Now I've heard everything ;)

I am alone on this, but I think he is a very poor actor, especially recently. See: Rescue Dawn, Batman, Terminator 4.

BobDole
07-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I am alone on this, but I think he is a very poor actor, especially recently. See: Rescue Dawn, Batman, Terminator 4.

you are not at all alone on this. if it wasn't for american psycho, i'd have written him off a long time ago. reign of fire might be the worst movie ever made.

ih8brady
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

That was actually the point I was trying to make. Nearly always has the same wooden acting like he is unconcerned or regretting to be in said film.

cafinfan408
07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I went to see it.
It was good reallly long but good.
Yea I agree Bale leaves something to be desired in the movie.
Depp was great the girl did a good job.
Overall 8 stars

jared81
07-12-2009, 01:07 PM
That was actually the point I was trying to make. Nearly always has the same wooden acting like he is unconcerned or regretting to be in said film.

i learned something today, until now, i didnt know what wooden acting was. thanks google.

Nublar7
07-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I went to see this movie on Friday. It was a decent movie, but like many have said it was a bit long. There was a little too much of a love story when it really should have dipped deeper into the history of guys like Dillinger and Nelson.

Not a bad movie, but definitely not one of the better ones this summer.

Tetragrammaton
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Not a bad movie, but definitely not one of the better ones this summer.

Why do you say that? The only film that I would say is undoubtedly better so far has been Moon.

uga3406
07-19-2009, 02:08 PM
this was a good movie not great..dragged a bit...

BobDole
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM
saw it a few weeks ago finally. was not impressed. since when did gangster movies become so soft? wasn't terrible but won't watch it again. depp was pretty decent. bale was ... well ... bale.

Blackocrates
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
It was better than most of the junk this summer has offered, still nothing special though.

Tetragrammaton
08-02-2009, 02:37 PM
It was better than most of the junk this summer has offered, still nothing special though.

Don't you ever leave us again.

Blackocrates
08-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Don't you ever leave us again.

:lol: Nice to know I was missed.

I've been lurking for a few weeks on the pofo and there hasn't been much of a reason to return. The quality of that forum has went into the crapper it seems.

Tetragrammaton
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
:lol: Nice to know I was missed.

I've been lurking for a few weeks on the pofo and there hasn't been much of a reason to return. The quality of that forum has went into the crapper it seems.

This movie forum is like your child. Don't be a deadbeat dad!

Blackocrates
08-02-2009, 02:49 PM
This movie forum is like your child. Don't be a deadbeat dad!

But I have other dreams and aspirations. :lol:

Speaking of movies, I'm actually kind of burned out at the moment. I was almost exclusively watching older classics, film noirs, silent films and foreign films but then I hit a wall one day. I was on a roll for a while. I was introduced to likes of Bergman, Fellini, Wilder, Capra and many more. Once you're introduced to the greats todays directors and films are horrible in comparison.