PDA

View Full Version : Boomer, I told you so. (Antone Smith Pro Day)

playeragent26
03-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I am looking for some credit here. What do you say now about his draft stock, Boomer?

I wrote a quick comment on Boomers Sun Sentinel Tuesday article about the draft, I was quoted as saying that Antone Deuce Smith RB (FSU) would run a sub 4.35 forty yard dash in his Pro Day.

Well, I was correct and he actually ran a 4.28 unofficial time and a 4.33 official. If he was invited to the combine, he would of posted no doubt one of the top times by any RB in the draft.

Also, to go along with that, he pushed up 225lbs (31 times) and a 32 inch vertical jump. Explosive and powerful comes to mind.

He is a beast. Under the radar RB. Two year starter and scored 15 TD's for the Noles this year. He was misused at FSU, and is a diamond in the rough.

But, I have to confess I got my information from Deuces uncle and he had no doubt about it. Call it inside information.

Check out his numbers, and the little carries he got at FSU.

2005 36 188 5.2 45 3 5 25 5.0 9 0 0 0
2006 88 456 5.2 80 5 21 174 8.3 21 0 0 0
2007 191 817 4.3 59 3 22 203 9.2 28 0 0 0
2008 177 792 4.5 60 15 10 101 10.1 22 1 0 0

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/16/delb-brown-draws-crowd-garvin-shows-off-speed/

Any comments? Opinions?

ADavieDolphin
03-18-2009, 10:15 PM
maurice jones drew right hurrr...
i like the idea of a small fast power back...
alot of people like gartell johnson from CSU, he's great, but i prefer antione..
we can't take him in 5th round, and i bet he's taken in 6th, our 7a should be best player available.. and then i'd consider him at 7b or c..

rb isn't that huge of a need.

I wouldnt mind cutting williams and drafting a younger guy, rookie rb's can make a big impact.. maybe one would be better in our system than ricky..
we are however getting ricky dirt cheap, and he could be trade bait...

playeragent26
03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
And that is probably where he would be considered for us is at 7a.

But, I think a team like TB, Denver, Saints, Green Bay, Seattle, 49'ers, etc. would be better fit for Deuce. I say he gets picked in the 5th Rd.

DefensiveEnd76
03-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I am looking for some credit here. What do you say now about his draft stock, Boomer?

I wrote a quick comment on Boomers Sun Sentinel Tuesday article about the draft, I was quoted as saying that Antone Deuce Smith RB (FSU) would run a sub 4.35 forty yard dash in his Pro Day.

Well, I was correct and he actually ran a 4.28 unofficial time and a 4.33 official. If he was invited to the combine, he would of posted no doubt one of the top times by any RB in the draft.

Also, to go along with that, he pushed up 225lbs (31 times) and a 32 inch vertical jump. Explosive and powerful comes to mind.

He is a beast. Under the radar RB. Two year starter and scored 15 TD's for the Noles this year. He was misused at FSU, and is a diamond in the rough.

But, I have to confess I got my information from Deuces uncle and he had no doubt about it. Call it inside information.

Check out his numbers, and the little carries he got at FSU.

2005 36 188 5.2 45 3 5 25 5.0 9 0 0 0
2006 88 456 5.2 80 5 21 174 8.3 21 0 0 0
2007 191 817 4.3 59 3 22 203 9.2 28 0 0 0
2008 177 792 4.5 60 15 10 101 10.1 22 1 0 0

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/16/delb-brown-draws-crowd-garvin-shows-off-speed/

Any comments? Opinions?

It's scary to think of a smaller RB benching 225 pounds that many times and then you have guys like some of these 315 pound o-linemen who can only do 20 reps!!! Unreal!!

Dolfan984
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
short arms = tons of reps on the bench

playeragent26
03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Shorter arms has some to do with it. The muck has the other part of it. (LOL)

It is amazing to me on sites like nfldraftcountdown.com they have A. Smith list as running a 4.55 (40) and rated to 28 best RB.

I am telling you he is wayyyyyy underrated.

XXXSURTAINXXX
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
"Shorter arms has some to do with it. The muck has the other part of it."

So you are telling me a "little person" like Verne Troyer (mini me) can bench 225 more times than Yao Ming?

Rio
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Parcells likes picking up DarkHorse RB's in the mid to late rounds

Nappy Roots
03-18-2009, 10:33 PM
short arms = tons of reps on the bench

its true to an extent, you still have to be very strong to rep it that many times. and its no fluke, it was a known fact that Antone Smith not only was the best boxer and the champion on the team, but also the strongest player on the TEAM. not the pound for pound strongest, but it was known, that he was all around the strongest player on the entire team..

with that said i love Antone and what he brought to the Noles. He ran very hard and tough with never a good OLine but, he doesnt have great balance and doesnt have very good vision. im not sure what to think of him in the pros to be honest. hes a project back IMO.

playeragent26
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Keep things in perspective my man.

Dont mock comments

XXXSURTAINXXX
03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
aww man dont be sensitive....you know that shyt is kinda funny.

playeragent26
03-18-2009, 10:45 PM
aww man dont be sensitive....you know that shyt is kinda funny.
True Dat. Yeah you are right, that put a smile on my face picturing that in my head.

zach8111
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
ya i like him too, i wouldnt mind a 5th rounder on him

DefensiveEnd76
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Jake Long is tall with long arms and he did 37 reps last year. Some of these o-linemen this year are built like a huge pear and don't look like they've ever lifted a single weight in their entire life.

DKphin
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm a Gator fan and I like Antone. He's a little short but he is a decent back. I would not draft him before the 6th(or the 7th fo us beause we don't have a 6th)

evenflow58
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
He was injured most every year at FSU and never lived up to his potential. This past year he finally got going but wore down and saw Thomas take a lot of his carries. Part of the problem is that he struggled a bit behind the zone blocking scheme, he just isn't a one cut back. Also he has a tendency to go down easy. His senior year he ran much better but in past years he would quickly get tripped up and never got going.

I like Antone, I enjoyed watching him while I was at FSU and afterwards but I wouldn't expect much out of him in the pros. His measureables are excellent but they just don't add up on the field.

KillerJosh373
03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
yea, antone was also a huge prospect out of high school, i could see him succeeding at the next level. FSU is well-known for producing great NFL prospects who don't perform that well when they play at FSU. Wouldn't mind if the Fins took him late or signed him undrafted.

skipp2myloo13
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
We dont need a back, but if we were going to get one we would get a power guy, like Marion Barber

playeragent26
03-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Antone was mister Florida coming out of High School, just like Tim Tebow.

NorFlaFin
03-20-2009, 09:51 AM
FSU is notorious for a fast rack. I think it's that rubber/asphalt. Yes the NFL has a correction factor for that of track (compare to grass).

The above being said, I really like Antone Smith and yes he was misused at FSU. Also FSU started several Freshies and soph along the Oline. Antone never really got "in sync" with the OL.

I have heard the knock regarding vision to the hole.

playeragent26
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
A. Smith will make and NFL roster, if healthy.

Boomer
03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Player Agent - I don't recall saying anything negative about Smith, so not sure why you'd include me in the headline of your post.

I'm also not sure how Smith's forty time on a notoriously fast surface correlates towards his future pro career.

playeragent26
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Player Agent - I don't recall saying anything negative about Smith, so not sure why you'd include me in the headline of your post.

I'm also not sure how Smith's forty time on a notoriously fast surface correlates towards his future pro career.
I apologize if there is a misunderstanding in the way I posted the message. (Let's just say it is a way to draw attention to the matter) A little promotion for my post.

Boomer, let me just clear the air. I never said you did have something negative to say about A.Smith. All I wanted to bring up was the simple fact that I brought up that Smith never ran below a 4.35 since his early years in High School. Then you replied, well we will see if that is true. That is all. No beef.

Just letting you know I was not B.S. about what I posted. I just happen to know real well A.Smith uncle who keeps me updated about his status.

As far as the fast surface at FSU, I will repeat that A.Smith has not run a time above 4.35 since early H.S years. That is all.

But, I will also bring up look at his overall performance in the bench, vertical jump etc. I just look at his production level at FSU, and feel he was cheated from attending the NFL combine, when chumps who are so called rated above him took his chance at competing at the combine.

I believe this is a legit beef to have in the combine committee.

Last point, how else would I get your attention.

Thank you for responding!

PhinsTD
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
You sure went about it in a different way my friend...

Antone Smith was a disappointment in his entire collegiate career, and it is his toughness and instincts that are in question, never his speed. I believe he'll make an NFL roster if he gets with a team that uses him correctly, and he'll be a nice change of pace back.

I'd like to see his hands as well...

jim1
03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
We dont need a back, but if we were going to get one we would get a power guy, like Marion Barber

I like James Davis from Clemson.

playeragent26
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
You sure went about it in a different way my friend...

Antone Smith was a disappointment in his entire collegiate career, and it is his toughness and instincts that are in question, never his speed. I believe he'll make an NFL roster if he gets with a team that uses him correctly, and he'll be a nice change of pace back.

I'd like to see his hands as well...
I do not see A.Smith as a disappointment scoring 15 TD's.

What was disappointing was the OC for FSU misusing A.Smith, they way he misuses all his starting RB's. The system combined with the young OL did not go well for A.Smith posting 1,000 plus yd seasons. He simply did not get the carries.

The OC does not believe in the one back system at FSU. But, the transfer to the NFL should be more smooth for A.Smith because something like 70% (Guess) of the league now feature a two back system.

Mark my words he will make an NFL team if healthy. With the potential of seeing increased playing time down the road.

One quick beef I have about A.Smith knock on him lacking vision. All I have to say about that is, all the vision in the world does you no good when you have a defender in the backfield the majority of the time.

Thank you

miamiron
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Dont get to caught up on the number of reps because during the combine players were gwtting away with "short arming"there reps.They would not even come close to locking there elbows on each lift.

Take a look at the combine film and you will see what I mean

General Tso
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Dont get to caught up on the number of reps because during the combine players were gwtting away with "short arming"there reps.They would not even come close to locking there elbows on each lift.

Take a look at the combine film and you will see what I mean

Agreed. Not sure why this (many players short arming their reps) hasn't been brought up before (that I've seen). It was absurd.

playeragent26
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Walterfootball.com is rating A.Smith as 13th best RB in the draft. They have him going 4th/5th Rd. http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009RB.php, glad to see he is getting some love from some websites.

Another point I would like to make is tell me the last OL drafted out of FSU that is worth mentioning in the last 5 years?

In addition, tell me how many RB's came out of FSU in the last 5 years?

That should tell you all you wanna know with the history of FSU ground game. The RB's end up being solid pro's, but the OL are straight garbage.

The last point I would like to make which I am seeing from many posters on this site is the misunderstanding about FSU's track that everyone runs great times out of. I would simply like to educate everyone in knowing that this was the first year where FSU pro day was run from the grass and not the fast track everyone is talking about. So the notion that A.Smith 4.33 forty is not legit is completely bogus.

playeragent26
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Agreed. Not sure why this (many players short arming their reps) hasn't been brought up before (that I've seen). It was absurd.
I would like to make a comment about the short arm theory behind bench pressing. Earlier on this thread I also made the notion that short arms help out in pumping extra reps. Well this is true to a degree. I actually was educated in this subject by someone who is a gym rat and they made a valid point where they believe that having short arms is helpful to a small degree but at some point pure strength takes over and basically strong is strong.

For example if someone can pump up 225 lbs maybe like 20 times and has short arms, this might help them with the last 2-3 reps. But, when you are beasting 32 reps and you weigh something like 200lbs, that is simply a strong beast no matter the size.

32 reps is strong no matter what size and especially if you are 5'8'' and 200lb.

General Tso
03-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I would like to make a comment about the short arm theory behind bench pressing. Earlier on this thread I also made the notion that short arms help out in pumping extra reps. Well this is true to a degree. I actually was educated in this subject by someone who is a gym rat and they made a valid point where they believe that having short arms is helpful to a small degree but at some point pure strength takes over and basically strong is strong.

For example if someone can pump up 225 lbs maybe like 20 times and has short arms, this might help them with the last 2-3 reps. But, when you are beasting 32 reps and you weigh something like 200lbs, that is simply a strong beast no matter the size.

32 reps is strong no matter what size and especially if you are 5'8'' and 200lb.

I was talking about "short arming", not short arms. By that I mean, not lifting the bar all the way up so your elbows lock out. Doing that, means you're able to do more reps that someone else that uses the proper technique.

nolefin
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
i have watched almost every game he played at FSU and i think he will be a decent 3rd down back but the problem will be is he has no value on special teams.

Roman529
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
We could use the 6th pick we picked up from the Raiders in the Satele deal to give this guy a shot.

SammySmif
03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Im a nole and love me some A Smith. I think he gets picked in the 5th.

dadecounty3051
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Can i hop along on the antone smith wagon? He seems like he is going to light it up in the NFL!

playeragent26
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Can i hop along on the antone smith wagon? He seems like he is going to light it up in the NFL!
dadecounty,

You are welcome to come on board the A.Smith bandwagon. The only thing is you have to realize how many haters will rip you for being so because a lot of Noles fans have a misunderstanding of A.Smith because of a horrible OL for about 5 years. This in turn makes them think less of A.Smith and ignore the history.

Dtronic
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
We could use the 6th pick we picked up from the Raiders in the Satele deal to give this guy a shot.

We have other plans for that pick :up:

Dolo85
04-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Antone's test results are off the charts. 4.35 speed (he also ran a 4.28 on pro day) which is faster than any back at the combine, 32 reps which is also more than any RB at the combine, his maximum bench press is 460 which is incredibly strong for his size at being 190 lbs (dont currently have all the max efforts for RBs in the combine). So basically he is faster and stronger than any RB in the 09 class, 08 class (excluding Chris Johnson's 4.24), and the 06 class (dont have 07 class). And possibly one of the most overlooked stats is standing verticle broad jump of 10'2". This tests a players power or lower body strength, which is incredible for only being 5'8". I believe if Antone can stay healthy he will have a great career.

SammySmif
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Yep...Tone is a freak. A complete freak. And he can play special teams. He has returned punts and kicks for FSU, and with proper coaching he is another Leon Washington. I think a LOT of teams would love to have a change of pace back like Leon. Look at what Sproles has done for San Diego. Antone can deliver in that same role.