PDA

View Full Version : Huge Draft Rumor

ChambersWI
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Not saying this is true, but sources are reporting that the Lions have entered negotiations with the top 3 players on their board; Aaron Curry, Matthew Stafford, and Jason Smith. After trading for Julian Peterson, Curry is out of the equation and the hot rumor around the league is that the Lions will select Jason Smith with the number 1 overall pick.

I'm not totally buying it, but I've talked to some people and they've said that while the Lions really like Stafford, they prefer Mark Sanchez. I've been told that it would not be shocking to see the Baylor OT be the first overall pick, and then have the Lions trade the Dallas first rounder and 2nd round pick to trade up and get Sanchez.

Nothing is final, or for sure, but if true it does make the draft much more interesting. The Rams have put themselves in a corner after releasing Orlando Pace and are pretty much locked in to taking Eugene Monroe, and the Chiefs will more than likely take Aaron Curry after trading for Matt Cassel. If that's the case, the Seattle Seahawks would not hesitate to draft Matthew Stafford.

Jason Smith probably has more potential than more LT prospects in recent years. He's not as good as Jake Long or Joe Thomas were entering the draft, but he has a much higher ceiling because he's only been an OT for 3 years.

This is all a rumor, but it's starting to gain steam.

CaSh
03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
And how does this help Miami?

greasyObnoxious
03-23-2009, 10:48 AM

that really only helps us if any 3-4 team picks Curry and not some DE/LB prospect.

PhinzN703
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM

He didn't say it did, nor do we need it to :D

FaithfulFinFan
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
About the only thing this does is mess up a lot of people's draft boards!

CJGoCanes
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM

The only way it could is the run on tackles starts earlier, thus someone later that wants a tackle will have to over-draft one who is not that highly rated, and it will push higher rated players down the board

ChambersWI
03-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Draft forum.

Nappy Roots
03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Jason Smith should be the pick if the Lions were smart. They would be smart to sit back and see which QB is there with their second 1st round pick, If Sanchez is there, pick him, if not, they should probably go D.

ChambersWI
03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Jason Smith should be the pick if the Lions were smart. They would be smart to sit back and see which QB is there with their second 1st round pick, If Sanchez is there, pick him, if not, they should probably go D.

I'm kind of torn. The success of Jake Long and Joe Thomas have people reconsidering taking OTs so early. Before, the belief was if you don't have a franchise QB you take one. Detroit does not have a franchise QB, nor do they have anybody protecting the QB period. I think it's hard to pass up Stafford. Some say we should've taken Matt Ryan, but he wasn't even an option (it was either Jake or Chris Long, and if not them, either Vernon Gholston or Glenn Dorsey). Even when Ryan was drafted, some questioned him as a franchise QB (Remember the debate the first half of last season was between Brian Brohm,Andre Woodson, and Colt Brennan for number 1 QB). Stafford has always been seen as the top QB.

I can't argue against it, but it would make the draft a lot more interesting.

X-Pacolypse
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
If I was GM of the Lions, I would take Jason Smith.

Zounds
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I would also take an OT, and I would also take Sanchez over Stafford. The Lions need a sure thing, and OT and Curry are the only sure things imo.

Valandui
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
that really only helps us if any 3-4 team picks Curry and not some DE/LB prospect.
I think Curry is a lock to go to KC. The Rams I think will take Eugene Monroe is the Lions go Jason Smith.

greasyObnoxious
03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I think Curry is a lock to go to KC. The Rams I think will take Eugene Monroe is the Lions go Jason Smith.

i'm not sure he makes it to #3, personally.

fgrocker
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
No way the Lions go OT at pick 1 and trade up to select a QB in the 1st. Wayyyy too much money spent on two prospects.

XXXSURTAINXXX
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I hope they draft Stafford. I want to see a DAWG QB go #1 overall. Plus if he left GA early not to be selected #1 imma be hella mad

X-Pacolypse
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
No way the Lions go OT at pick 1 and trade up to select a QB in the 1st. Wayyyy too much money spent on two prospects.

They've got the cap room to do it, if they want to.

Valandui
03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I hope they draft Stafford. I want to see a DAWG QB go #1 overall. Plus if he left GA early not to be selected #1 imma be hella mad
I just don't want him or Knowshon to go to the Jets. I want to actually be able to like them in the NFL.

Valandui
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
i'm not sure he makes it to #3, personally.
Unless he goes to Detroit I am pretty sure he will be there at 3. The Rams made it pretty clear that they really wanted Jake Long last year and they let Orlando Pace go. They really have no where to go but OT.

playeragent26
03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
The only way it could is the run on tackles starts earlier, thus someone later that wants a tackle will have to over-draft one who is not that highly rated, and it will push higher rated players down the board

Your prediction of Satele being traded for a 3rd and 6th was almost dead on!:up:

greasyObnoxious
03-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Unless he goes to Detroit I am pretty sure he will be there at 3. The Rams made it pretty clear that they really wanted Jake Long last year and they let Orlando Pace go. They really have no where to go but OT.

true, but stranger things have happened. i could see the Rams taking Curry.
on top of it, if reports are true, the Lions won't take the best player but the guy who signs the lowest contract. IMO that would be the LB.

Spray Mucus
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Which would be great for us sitting at 25, teams might want to trade up into that spot for a OT they won't be able to get with their next pick. Much like what Houston and Atlanta did last year.

ckparrothead
03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I've had Smith going to the Lions since god knows when.