PDA

View Full Version : The President's Commencement Controversy

BAMAPHIN 22
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
President Barack Obama, it was announced Friday, will deliver the 164th commencement address at the University of Notre Dame (http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/11293-president-obama-to-deliver-notre-dames-commencement-address).

Soon after the announcement, controversy arose from some Catholics who believe that Obama's views on abortion and embryonic stem cell research (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/President44/story?id=7042171&page=1) contradict the Catholic institution's beliefs and teachings.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/03/the-presidents.html

Tetragrammaton
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
What a shame. I am sure the students are plenty excited about the President being their commencement speaker.

jared81
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
What a shame. I am sure the students are plenty excited about the President being their commencement speaker.

not if you are a practicing catholic. shouldnt this be in the religon forum?

Tetragrammaton
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM

I am a "practicing" atheist and I would be excited to hear our Protestant President speak.

jared81
03-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I am a "practicing" atheist and I would be excited to hear our Protestant President speak.

i understand that, and if the president was speaking at an atheist college im sure you wouldnt give him much grief. IM NOT CATHOLIC, but i can see how some people would take issues on some of his stances. im sure you can appreciate that.

PhinPhan1227
03-24-2009, 07:42 PM

The difference being that you are not an institution that is dedicated to the Catholic faith. I am a staunch supporter of secular matters being secular, and religious matters being religious. In this case, it is a religious matter. Students who choose to attend Notre Dame do so with the full knowledge that the Catholic faith is the guide by which the school is run. You don't attend West Point and expect the military to take a back seat, same thing goes for Notre Dame and the Catholic faith.

MDFINFAN
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Yes and I'm redirecting it there now...as for catholics--they should be practicing christian value, and one is to love one another..He's a christian just like them, and should be allowed to have a difference of opinion...ppl are small minded..:err:

Tetragrammaton
03-25-2009, 01:13 AM
The difference being that you are not an institution that is dedicated to the Catholic faith. I am a staunch supporter of secular matters being secular, and religious matters being religious. In this case, it is a religious matter. Students who choose to attend Notre Dame do so with the full knowledge that the Catholic faith is the guide by which the school is run. You don't attend West Point and expect the military to take a back seat, same thing goes for Notre Dame and the Catholic faith.

I don't know. It seems like Notre Dame has had worse heathens.

http://206forthetwenties.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/586-gay1.jpg

Perfect23
03-25-2009, 01:33 AM
If Joe Biden wants to be a fake catholic let him be a fake catholic.

BAMAPHIN 22
03-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of the Phoenix Diocese on Wednesday called Obama's selection a "public act of disobedience" and "a grave mistake." On Tuesday, Bishop John D'Arcy of the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, which includes Notre Dame, said he would not attend the ceremony because of Obama's policies.

Hundreds of people on both sides of the issue have sent letters to the student newspaper, and a coalition of conservative student groups has announced its opposition.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-obama-notre-dame,0,2449431.story

emeraldfin
03-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Actually find this very strange. In a multi cultural and diverse country like the US, I did not think religious organisations would get press coverage over their resentment of certain legislation/opinions of the head of state because it goes against their doctrine or beliefs.

I understand that he is attending an historically Catholiic college, but surly people understand that Church and state matters have very little to do with each other anymore. I mean if Catholics are against abortion then why should they care if the only people going for abortions will be non-Catholics, since they are against it?

Locke
03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Actually find this very strange. In a multi cultural and diverse country like the US, I did not think religious organisations would get press coverage over their resentment of certain legislation/opinions of the head of state because it goes against their doctrine or beliefs.

I understand that he is attending an historically Catholiic college, but surly people understand that Church and state matters have very little to do with each other anymore. I mean if Catholics are against abortion then why should they care if the only people going for abortions will be non-Catholics, since they are against it?

I agree 100%. I find everyone very hypocritical in the U.S. Religion of all kinds preach love and understanding. Bullsh*t. They love you if you agree with their beliefs, otherwise you're a blasphemer. They only understand what they want to understand. Non-religous folk are the same. They can't leave the religious people alone to practice whatever they want. Its the same all over the world really. For supposedly being Earth's most advanced species, we sure are pretty animalistic when it comes to things like this.

I truly think the end of humanity is going to stem from religon. Not that religon itself is inherently bad, but almost all conflict comes from either religion, or the intolerance of someone else's religion. Its pretty pathetic if you ask me....

BAMAPHIN 22
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
By inviting Barack Obama to deliver the commencement address and receive an honorary degree at Notre Dame, the Rev. John Jenkins has polarized the Catholic community nationwide -- and raised a question.

What does it mean to be a Catholic university in post-Christian America?

Are there truths about faith and morality that are closed to debate at Notre Dame? Or is Notre Dame like London's Hyde Park, where all ideas and all advocates get a hearing?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/03/is_notre_dame_still_catholic.html

Dolphan7
03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Why didn't we hear this uproar when Rick Warren presided at Obama's inauguration? Warren is a born again Christian.

ih8brady
04-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Call me crazy, but zero out of forty-three of the men who have taken the Office of POTUS have been faithful, upstanding Catholics. If you want to base this tradition on requiring the POTUS to be of sound Catholicism, it wouldn't be a tradition based on the previous presidents.

BAMAPHIN 22
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
A campaign by outraged Roman Catholics to keep President Barack Obama from delivering the commencement address at Notre Dame shows that the gulf between the church and backers of abortion rights remains deep. Yet the effort to get the school to rescind its invitation to Obama also highlights a political disconnect between the conservative Catholic hierarchy and millions of U.S. Catholic voters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30670354/