PDA

View Full Version : My Problem

Jimi
03-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I consider myself a Christian. Thats how i was raised, and upon further review continued to believe. It gave me the best answers to a lot of my questions.

With that being said, I can acknowledge that I could be wrong, I simply can not know. Does this mean I dont believe in Jesus (considering its not 100% for me, theres an uncertainy that remains) and that im damned to hell accoriding to the religion i believe in?

Dolphan7
03-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Well....do you believe Jesus is who he said he is? Did what he said he would do? Lived and died and lived again?

What exactly are you not sure of?

Jimi
03-25-2009, 03:49 AM
I guess it kind of depends on the word believe. I believe Jesus Christ was and is the son of God, the messiah who died and rose again for our sins.

I also believe i could be wrong. Theres very little in the world i feel i can say im completely sure about.

My understanding of the bible is that you must believe in Christ to go to heaven. So my question is, what about the uncertainty that i have in the back of my mind? Can that keep me from heaven?

Dolpfan_72
03-25-2009, 04:07 AM
Simply put, the definition of faith is to believe in the unknown. There is no possible way to be certain what you believe is fact. Religion often isn't like science or politics in the way that they can be proved or disproved with solid facts. So if it's proof of what you believe to be true that you are waiting for, you might be waiting a very long time.

LouPhinFan
03-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Every Christian doubts from time to time. We're all human. Just keep your faith in Christ and don't let the doubt take you down the broad path. Stay on the narrow one...

Dolphan7
03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I guess it kind of depends on the word believe. I believe Jesus Christ was and is the son of God, the messiah who died and rose again for our sins.

I also believe i could be wrong. Theres very little in the world i feel i can say im completely sure about.

My understanding of the bible is that you must believe in Christ to go to heaven. So my question is, what about the uncertainty that i have in the back of my mind? Can that keep me from heaven?If you believe Jesus the way you say, then you are ok. Doubts will creep in from time to time, but a strong faith will overcome those doubts. The Apostle Thomas doubted for a long time, and really didn't believe 100% until he was able to see Jesus and touch him with his own hands. Some require more certainty, some require less.

I suggest that you study Christian Apologetics. Go to a class if there is one available. Go online. Go to a Christian bookstore. These will strengthen your faith and help remove your doubts.

Jesus said that he would rather you were hot or cold, but not inbetween, Rev 2:15-16.

Also just as important, if you have been reading the suicide thread, our walk is just as important as our initial belief in God. Make sure your walk in accordance with Jesus teachings.

Pray for these things Jimi.:up:

Phin19
03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I consider myself a Christian. Thats how i was raised, and upon further review continued to believe. It gave me the best answers to a lot of my questions.

With that being said, I can acknowledge that I could be wrong, I simply can not know. Does this mean I dont believe in Jesus (considering its not 100% for me, theres an uncertainy that remains) and that im damned to hell accoriding to the religion i believe in?

Well Kierkegaard said you can't have true faith if you don't doubt first. So these doubts you have might be a good thing.

Jimi
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice & responses! In the last year and a half of my life or so i have become increasingly interested in religion/human origins.

Through all the research i have done, i ended up back where i started as a Christian. Glad to know my lack of certainty is normal though.

Dolphan7
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice & responses! In the last year and a half of my life or so i have become increasingly interested in religion/human origins.

Through all the research i have done, i ended up back where i started as a Christian. Glad to know my lack of certainty is normal though.Just keep learning about your faith. If you aren't constantly involved, plugged in, and growing as a Christian, you end up back sliding and eventually fall away.

I know....because it happened to me. And it is easy to do.

:up:

emeraldfin
03-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Only thing you really need to worry about is your behaviour on this planet. If you believe in Jesus/God or all Christian doctrine then thats fair enough. But as long as you live up to your own personel and moral convictions then thats all you can really do.

Jimi
03-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Only thing you really need to worry about is your behaviour on this planet. If you believe in Jesus/God or all Christian doctrine then thats fair enough. But as long as you live up to your own personel and moral convictions then thats all you can really do.

Very true. For some like myself its one and the same.

jared81
03-25-2009, 11:31 PM

Through all the research i have done, i ended up back where i started as a Christian. Glad to know my lack of certainty is normal though.

sorry to jump in so late. but i must tell you that i too in the past have had doubts. and it was around the time i was your age. those doubts will go away and they will come back. but dont stray, i wasnt living a life that was right with god, and doing things i know i shouldnt. but the more mature your walk with christ goes, the more you will know what it is. thats all i can say, the rest you have to see for yourself.