PDA

View Full Version : 30% Say Government Should Limit Pay for Athletes and Movie Stars

JCane
03-31-2009, 05:37 AM
While a great deal of public anger is focused at corporate executives these days, Johnny Depp and the Boys of Summer donít fare much better. Thirty percent (30%) of Americans believe the government should make it illegal to pay movie stars and athletes more than $1 million per year.

I can't believe that 30% of Americans really think that this is a problem or part of the problem.

Give me a break.

:rolleyes2:

ih8brady
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Link? This is so absurd I was curious to see what the poll's question was and maybe comments from those who actually said there should be a limit.

JCane
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Damnit! I meant to post the link! I can't believe I forgot that. I'll have to get it here in a bit. It's impossible to post a link from the phone.

Nappy Roots
03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
wanna stop such high pay, 30% stop showing up to movies, buying moves, going to sporting events, etc.

its not going to happen, their pay is fine.

BAMAPHIN 22
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
wanna stop such high pay, 30% stop showing up to movies, buying moves, going to sporting events, etc.

I totally agree... I guess paying a premium for movie and sporting events for entertainment is not all that important now.

JCane
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Biiiiiiiiiiiiingo, Nappy Roots!!

$$$$$ POST!

30% of Americans DON'T GET IT!

By the way, here's the link below and you have to click "Read Article" under the stupid advertisement image.

http://theobserver1.newsvine.com/_news/2009/03/27/2608153-30-say-government-should-limit-pay-for-athletes-and-movie-stars

ih8brady
03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder how much of this is stupidity versus sour grapes and hate from jealousy. I assume during better economic times that a poll would yield lesser numbers, although there's always going to be weak and bitter Huey-Long arguments out there.

When a big budget film costs hundreds of millions to make and market AND goes on to earn hundreds of millions in profits alone, should someone well known like Depp not get anything from it? (Especially considering that many moviegoers base their decision off star power or name recoginition)

Tetragrammaton
03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
It is just irrationality on the part of people. When you lose your house and your health insurance and Albert Haynesworth gets 40 million dollars guaranteed, you are going to feel that way.

Dolphan7
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
What is sad is that 30% think that the government should get involved in private contract negotiations. That isn't the roll of government. It is this growing mentality that is spreading that the Govt is your friend, it will help you, it will take from those who have more, and give it to those who have less, until everyone is equal. I hope that 30% is a sign of tough economic times. I would hate to see that number grow.